• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

If you don't like the weekly brawl just don't play it.

What a hugely valid response.

"Something is shit, therefore don't comment on it, just don't play it"

That's a completely pointless thing to say. Are we not supposed to comment on the fact that so far Blizzards new game mode is turning out to be a pile of shit? That they put huge gold rewards behind a mode that is batting 1 for 3 to date? That they don't seem to be learning from their own game design decisions made a year ago?

Personally, I quite like the game getting better, and I was hugely excited for Brawl mode when they announced it. To date, it's turning out to be bad, because it seems very little thought is going into the actual brawls. Hammertime was an abomination of unfun (see my earlier post for why), and this game mode is worse than the already existing in-game custom option because team balance is so completely messed up in a game that is entirely about team balance.

I think your complaint is unreasonable here though, it is all random all mid it's not supposed to be balanced. Punisher brawl was hardly balanced and everyone loved it.
It's not a serious mode

scoobs

I think your complaint is unreasonable here though, it is all random all mid it's not supposed to be balanced. Punisher brawl was hardly balanced and everyone loved it.
It's not a serious mode
Bingo. My point was supposed to be... relax, you don't HAVE to play it so just don't or suck it up and deal with the shit balance. They don't need to, nor should they be balancing a Brawl for completely fair teams and hero choices. It's random, deal with it.

Maledict

It's not a serious mode

Punisher mode gave you the three options mode, and always balanced the classes. You always had the same number of warriors / supports. This mode doesn't do that, which can result in the games I had this morning.

We don't have the option of modifying our characters with items in HotS, team balance is much more important, and going into a game where one team gets a tank and the other doesn't is horribly unfun - which is why they removed it from quick match a year ago. Its why hero select for custom games also balances the tanks out (and also doesn't create all melee dps teams).

Again, part of the issue is the length of game - 5 minute unbalanced games are fun, 10 to 15 minute unbalanced games are not. same as Hammertime - it would be much more tolerable if it were over much faster.

scoobs

If you want to complain about match length then I'm with you there, ARAM map lasts way too long, they need to remove the walls.

Punisher mode gave you the three options mode, and always balanced the classes. You always had the same number of warriors / supports. This mode doesn't do that, which can result in the games I had this morning.

We don't have the option of modifying our characters with items in HotS, team balance is much more important, and going into a game where one team gets a tank and the other doesn't is horribly unfun - which is why they removed it from quick match a year ago. Its why hero select for custom games also balances the tanks out (and also doesn't create all melee dps teams).

Again, part of the issue is the length of game - 5 minute unbalanced games are fun, 10 to 15 minute unbalanced games are not. same as Hammertime - it would be much more tolerable if it were over much faster.
I can agree on the length but not all assassins are equal and with punisher brawls many duplicates made for rather unfair matches. It was the Bo3 format that balanced it.

Milly79

Oh, well I'll at least give the 3 games a go.

I wish they would find a way to grant hero xp in brawls though. I don't feel any sense of progression.

Maledict

Havent tried it yet but it looks like a slightly improved version of the custom game one

Its exactly the same but there's no balancing beyond equalising the number o supports. You get the 1000 gold for it, which is nice, but otherwise it's actually a worse experience.

Milly79

Arthelon back to streaming league of legends I see... ;-)

Good riddance.

Its exactly the same but there's no balancing beyond equalising the number o supports. You get the 1000 gold for it, which is nice, but otherwise it's actually a worse experience.

And that sucks to hear. I love ARAM.

I kind of wish there was a huge pool of brawls that you could randomly queue into, rather than having it be a set one a week. I'd love to see some numbers on how many games people typically play after they're done with the 3 a week. The first one was pretty fun, but I had my fair share of it on the ptr, so I didn't do much outside of the 3 required. And I think I maybe played 6 of the Hammer Time total (which was super fun IMO). Brawl is missing the mark for me somewhere, and I think it has to do with progression.

brian!

Wait i dont understand, are you talking about the 1 warrior 1 support rule for customs when you are talking about it being more balanced

Oh wait you never said it was more balanced i cant read, coffee hasnt kicked in yet

Yeah i was thinking itd be better in theory since it applies some semblance of match making and takes away the excuse ppl give out when they get a tass and the other team gets a monk, ill prob check it out tonight

Alavard

Hmm, no hero reveal leak so far. Last year I believe we had the leak of Cho'Gall, Greymane, and Lunara by this time in the morning. Hilariously enough, I remember tons of people (on reddit anyway) didn't believe it because Lunara didn't sound like a real character.

I got the virtual ticket, but it just feels like an eternity waiting to 5 PM Eastern.

Kioshen

Okay rant time.

I've been looking forward to playing ARAM in brawl mode for ages - since they announced it. Was really excited when it came up as this weeks brawl.

There is no fucking class balance in the brawl, making it flat out worse than a standard custom game. Seriously, do blizzard even PLAY their own game? One team with ENTIRELY melee and no tanks versus a team with Chromie, Azmodan, Stitches and two healers?

In all honestly, I walk away yet again astonished at how fucking awful their brawl system is. Aren't they playing their own game?

Have you ever tried the games in the aram channel ? Of course there's no semblance of balance nor is it implied. It's just to see how things could work and have fun trying builds on the fly. It will honestly be hard for me to play anything other mode this week other than for doing my dailies.

Maledict

I've played custom ARAM games way, way too much to be healthy. Like, far too much!

Of course ARAM gives you unfun comps, and you boggle at how the teams are made. That's part of the madness and randomness of it. However, custom mode gives you a warrior and a healer, for the same reason quick match doesn- because without that equivalence, the game becomes even more random to the point where a majority of matches are unfun rather than a minority.

Heroes does not work when teams are structurally unbalanced in that way. Playing an all melee team with no warrior against a proper, balanced team is just not fun, and having it last 15 minutes is the icing on the cake.

Milly79

Hmm, no hero reveal leak so far. Last year I believe we had the leak of Cho'Gall, Greymane, and Lunara by this time in the morning. Hilariously enough, I remember tons of people (on reddit anyway) didn't believe it because Lunara didn't sound like a real character.

I got the virtual ticket, but it just feels like an eternity waiting to 5 PM Eastern.

5? They were all revealed in the opening ceremony IIRC. And that starts at 3est, no?

brian!

I think someone brought up before the issue of false equivalence w/r/t roles. Like anub is one of the worst in aram and stitches is one of the best, making sure one side has one of each doesnt balance things out necesarily. In the end it kind of boils down to what one expects from the mode. To me a lot of non-standard things in aram oil down to ppl adapting to their picks. Solo tass against a healer is incredibly feasible If Played Correctly (dunno how to italicize on phone), but i understand that it is meant to be a casual mode and ppl dont really want to be bothered w/ drawing out a team's strengths and id tend towards satisfying the masses who dont want to try hard a casual mode, i wouldnt mind if the mode was homogenized. But my enjoyment in atam (prob cuz i played mainly early in the games inception and mostly quick match) has a lot to do w/ figuring out strengths and weaknesses of random comps and figuring out the proper way of dealing w/ it. For really unconventional comps i find either that ppl give up on it real quick or refuse to switch things up w/ heroes they have played in a really specific context, but again i expect this from custom aram since the skill level is real low in na for it. I think it makes sense to get frustrated with it tho, it's random and sometimes thatll fuck over your entire experience, but in customs at least it's really rare to not have ppl comment on a comp or give up really quick, the community for custom aram was horrible when i was playing, and it ended up in really false commonly held ideas in na, stuff like vikings being weak or hammer being op when this is just not the case at all, which would just end up in nonstop excuses

Hammer is probably op now that they gave him one of the best aram talents for free though

Alur

ARAM brawl can't be worse than Hammer Time was. That's my take.

So the opening ceremony is 3 PM EST? Aight den.

brian!

I dunno how to link on phone but there was an interview on reddit where ppl think they came off poor + apparently they were arrogant on thh? They specifically call out dread multiple times

It's pretty harmless, but ill take any drama lol

I hope the series is good, i havent been keeping up with them this tourney so i dont know how they rate, i did catch aa doing a really unnecesary throw at boss in sky temple via overthinking but i could follow the logic (they wanted to tap well to bait a good fight in the 5v3, but didnt realize they were giving up valuable time for the enemy team to group and that zera was coming back with ult up)

I wonder how it would work if they just had all-warrior ARAM or all-assassin ARAM. The latter having the benefit of being able to be called ASSRAM. I'd imagine an all-warrior one might be kind of like a rugby scrum; since everyone is so beefy but their damage isn't as high you'd have this push-n-pull as the line of conflict moves back and forth in the neutral zone. Versus all-assassins which becomes a ballet dance of positioning where a wrong move gets you burst down immediately, and becomes a game of trying to bait people to use their skills incorrectly.

scoobs

I wonder how it would work if they just had all-warrior ARAM or all-assassin ARAM. The latter having the benefit of being able to be called ASSRAM. I'd imagine an all-warrior one might be kind of like a rugby scrum; since everyone is so beefy but their damage isn't as high you'd have this push-n-pull as the line of conflict moves back and forth in the neutral zone. Versus all-assassins which becomes a ballet dance of positioning where a wrong move gets you burst down immediately, and becomes a game of trying to bait people to use their skills incorrectly.

All assassin ARAM is basically quick match

Ketch

Played the brawl, had a lot of fun. I've come to the conclusion that complaining about your team comp/hero in ARAM is ultra whiney baby status

Alur

Yeah, the Sombra reveal video was p good

EDIT: Dorm documentary announced again.

Damn that OW league announcement and video.

Ketch

did they just say there's not gonna be anything in the keynote about diablo?

EDIT: DECKARD CAIN

Edit2: Fuck it's not deckard cain....

Ketch

boring
sleeping.gif

ok ragnaros is pretty fuckin hype

also, we've heard them say this shit about talents making a hero viable in multiple roles before, it never works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom