• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syf

Banned
Shouldn't be a secret for long with the Overwatch community descending on HotS to claim their Genji skin. That's a looot of players, and many of them have no experience with Blizzard outside of Overwatch. Hopefully some of them decide to stick around.

Ketch

I'd say so for sure. Even the support for Overwatch isn't quite as much as I'd expect. The league stuff is neat, but I really don't like watching that game whatsoever. Hearthstone expansion is a giant question mark after what was in Kharazan. I don't play WoW to know anything about that though.

Everything about HotS was killer! Better ranked system, two awesome looking heroes, haunted mines coming soon, that promo for the free heroes/mount (though I already own all the heroes), Artanis Q+E going live and other changes, the new brawl, etc. So good.

What are they changing about ranked?

Celegus

What are they changing about ranked?

Hero league will be solo only and team league will be groups of 2,3, or 5. Didn't say exactly when the change will happen but I think it sounds way better. Also making diamond a bit more exclusive and some other ways to distribute the player spread throughout the ranks. Also swaps at some point.

Alur

Seems like you should probably stream.

Shiiiiit. With my accent, I'd either be the best joke streamer on Twitch or laughed off of the screen on day one. Maybe both.

Could go straight cowboy theme, though. Milly can concur.

Nice. Her/Fan are the main ones I watch now other than Mc.

Even the support for Overwatch isn't quite as much as I'd expect.

What do you mean the support? Support for the game? Support for esports? Support in terms of people watching?

Alur

These numbers from one of the panels kind of blow my mind:

Before the ranked update:

59% players in Quick Match; 22% VS AI; 19% Ranked

After the ranked update:

46% players in Quick Match; 30% Ranked; 16% VS AI; 8% Unranked

Really surprised only 8% of players play unranked. I dunno why, I just assumed it was pretty popular. You can see it peeled off of QM and/or AI a bit, but I thought it'd be more.

These numbers from one of the panels kind of blow my mind:

Really surprised only 8% of players play unranked. I dunno why, I just assumed it was pretty popular. You can see it peeled off of QM and/or AI a bit, but I thought it'd be more.

Maybe after trying unranked they went to Ranked since it's essentially the same thing? You can also see ranked growing to 30% after unranked was introduced.

Alur

Maybe, but it should reflect that in the numbers if they are doing both I would guess, or did both. Unless it's like a final tally or something.

I guess I underestimated people's love for watching numbers go up and down. For me, once I'm placed I'd rather avoid it.

Then again, I also prefer QM because I can play who I want while most people here detest it.

Zackat

so that little butterfly at the end of the varian/rag/skins video.

They really gonna put Magdha in before Malthael? I can't think of anyone else closely associated with butterfly's in Blizzard lore stuff.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Is Zagara top tier? Started playing with her today and i'm wrecking it so far :D
semttulo8tugt.png

Maledict

Is Zagara top tier? Started playing with her today and i'm wrecking it so far :D

Any strong split pusher (Zagara, Sylvanas, Azmodan) is strong at the lower levels of play because enemy teams just can't cope with them, and you'll build up a massive experience lead. Heck, it works a lot of the time at higher levels...

Celegus

What do you mean the support? Support for the game? Support for esports? Support in terms of people watching?

Mostly just content for the game. Maybe the new mode will lead to something interesting eventually, but 3v3 or 1v1 aren't something I'll ever touch. The esports side seems good, but I don't like watching it at all. Sombra will be good, but it's not like she was exactly a secret.

Milly79

Ended up 3-1? Well good for them for taking a game, I suppose. An all EU or KR final would've made for a better showing, imo.

Alavard

so that little butterfly at the end of the varian/rag/skins video.

They really gonna put Magdha in before Malthael? I can't think of anyone else closely associated with butterfly's in Blizzard lore stuff.

We were originally going to get Malthael a long time ago but they turned him into Leoric. Probably set his development behind by quite a bit.

Syf

Banned
If there's one character I'd rather they forget about and never mention again, let alone add to HotS, it's Maghda. Pls no.

Alur

This information should be added to the OP IMO: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofth...or_this_game_this_is/?st=iv731kem&sh=98872558

For new players to Heroes of the Storm, roughly a $30 investment gets you:

Assuming you use Recruit a Friend and the Nexus Challenge and buy the Heroes of the Storm Starter Pack and the Nexus Conquerer / Challenger Bundles (use Hero Codes of Starter Pack first for discount!), this is what you get:

72 Days of Stimpack

Golden Tiger Mount
Orochi Hover Cycle Mount

Abathur
Auriel
Azmodan
Brightwing
Diablo
E.T.C.
Falstad
Gazlowe
Greymane
Jaina
Kael'Thas
Kerrigan
Li-Ming
Li Li
Malfurion
Nazeebo
Raynor
Rehgar
Rexxar
Sonya
Sylvanas
The Butcher
Thrall (or any of the heroes that are gifted for 4.000)
Tyrael
Valla
Zagara
Zarya
Zeratul + Ronin Zeratul Skin

That are 28 heroes with mounts, a skin and a lot of stim pack time.

Additionally, if you own the Overwatch Origins Edition, you also get Tracer and if you own Starcraft 2 LotV, you get Artanis.

And within the first levels, you get at least 20.000 gold and another 7 day stimpack.

More than I would have expected. Plenty to get you going for a long time.

scoobs

I just won a game with the most frustrating Sylvanas teammate of all time. Avoided objectives and team fights in the late game to .... get camps! When he did fight, he used his E to engage instead of to retreat, which was nice. He died 13 times.

How we won is beyond me.

Anyone have a quick summary of the developer chat from Blizzcon? I heard they were reworking Kharazim, Dehaka and others... just curious what the details were and I can't seem to find it anywhere

Celegus

I just won a game with the most frustrating Sylvanas teammate of all time. Avoided objectives and team fights in the late game to .... get camps! When he did fight, he used his E to engage instead of to retreat, which was nice. He died 13 times.

How we won is beyond me.

Anyone have a quick summary of the developer chat from Blizzcon? I heard they were reworking Kharazim, Dehaka and others... just curious what the details were and I can't seem to find it anywhere

Kharazim's damage trait is getting buffed to make him stickier on enemies, think it also gives a movement speed bonus like Samuro iirc. Also getting mystic allies (like a placeable totem) at level 4 so it's probably a bigger rework. Looks good though! They did also mention changes to Dehaka's talents, especially to make him a more viable solo tank. Artanis Q+E is also going live with his changes!

kirblar

The Kent Eric interview on LowKO actually confirmed that they want to do what I proposed re subclasses, and put in Tank/Bruiser, Healer/Support, etc. He specifically mentioned getting Tassadar and Tyrande out of the healer rule as part of this. I am so happy.

Celegus

The Kent Eric interview on LowKO actually confirmed that they want to do what I proposed re subclasses, and put in Tank/Bruiser, Healer/Support, etc. He specifically mentioned getting Tassadar and Tyrande out of the healer rule as part of this. I am so happy.

Nice, they didn't even talk about that in the panels! Man this game just keeps doing everything right!

thank fuck lol

Maledict

Does anybody be else think that Varian Wynns design sort of feels like how the talent system should be for everyone?

I mean, take Kael. I'm second picking, it's infernal shrines, I pick him as a good ranged dps. But then the enemy takes a counter (say, Chromie) and I'm screwed. There's nothing I can do about it. But if I could instead take strong defensive tools instead of taking damage options I'd be better off.

Basically, should the talent system go further and allow you to push the character into areas they normally aren't strong in - at the cost of more damage, or something equivalent for example.

Maledict

Is the matchup so bad for KT? He's not completely immobile and your team can still easily counter chromie.

It's just an example to illustrate the point...

(And yes, she does tend too I find. He has a larger than normal hit box so is easy to hit with her shit, low health, and if he gets anywhere near her it's temporal loop --> death time).

It's just an example to illustrate the point...

(And yes, she does tend too I find. He has a larger than normal hit box so is easy to hit with her shit, low health, and if he gets anywhere near her it's temporal loop --> death time).

But that's on your support for not cleansing you. I don't know never had issues dealing with chromie.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Does anybody be else think that Varian Wynns design sort of feels like how the talent system should be for everyone?

I mean, take Kael. I'm second picking, it's infernal shrines, I pick him as a good ranged dps. But then the enemy takes a counter (say, Chromie) and I'm screwed. There's nothing I can do about it. But if I could instead take strong defensive tools instead of taking damage options I'd be better off.

Basically, should the talent system go further and allow you to push the character into areas they normally aren't strong in - at the cost of more damage, or something equivalent for example.

I mean I won't lie, as a Wow veteran when I first picked up this game and saw the talent system, I assumed it was basically like wow's trees. Because if not, I figured you would always have tiers where there's a clear winner and none of the other talents are as good. This was way more true back a year ago but they've done a good job with the reworks making talent picks better.

But yes i figured i could choose if I want someone like kt to be a fire dot mage or a defensive frost mage or a burst arcane mage..and then same with all the chars. But then I realized the game wasn't designed that way. Although it's pretty clear now that they're focusing more on a q/w/e type tree system which is sort of similar.

What I like about Varian is he's bringing wow's war stance passive system into his talents. That's what I think could really help the talent picks in this game.

kirblar

I think it's the wrong direction - if heroes are too generic you just pick the best X in draft- and in that LowKO interview he actually mentioned that the philosophy for the "2017" season releases is to immediately, at the start of design, define their niche to make sure they're not just a "better Thrall" (using Rag as the example)

I think it's the wrong direction - if heroes are too generic you just pick the best X in draft- and in that LowKO interview he actually mentioned that the philosophy for the "2017" season releases is to immediately, at the start of design, define their niche to make sure they're not just a "better Thrall" (using Rag as the example)

Meh, actions speak louder than words. HOTS has problems with homogenization like that because of its lack of back end depth and fewer overall mechanics. No economy management (no farm prioritization), almost zero importance on lanes (ex: "we need a mid laner that can lane well against hero X!"), and completely static power scaling across a match versus having some heroes that scale better or worse. There are far fewer hero stats in HOTS (armor, str, int, agi, magic resist, atk spd, etc.) that can help create a harder rock/paper/scissor dynamic. The best HOTS has in that regard is certain %HP mechanics like Tychus.

No concept of "wow their team is all physical damage, Winter Wyvern is great here for Cold Embrace's physical dmg immunity."

No concept of "This map generally goes to the lategame so lets pick heroes that excel in the lategame and try to mitigate the damage early. " Remember those old Kael'Thas+Azmodan lategame comps? Those were really cool, but there's so little of that in HOTS now.

Essentially what I'm saying is that there's very little that goes into drafting in HOTS other than "what is the hero with the overall highest power level?" and in competitive play, "what heroes does their team play effectively?"

If the game were a bit deeper and had more mechanics to think about they'd be able to get away with adding that kind of counterplay (the homogenization you mention being afraid of) in the talent tree a little bit because there would still be valid reasons to pick heroes in certain situations that aren't only about their overall power level.

Celegus

I wonder if they'll do gold rewards if you own the heroes already they are giving away.

Sure hope so! They did also mention in the panel that rewards for heroes after 10 will be more often/better and leveling won't take as long. Account level won't cap at 40 either and I believe will be your total hero level of everyone combined. Also a possible gold sink for those of you with too much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sure hope so! They did also mention in the panel that rewards for heroes after 10 will be more often/better and leveling won't take as long. Account level won't cap at 40 either and I believe will be your total hero level of everyone combined. Also a possible gold sink for those of you with too much.
Sounds good. Everything after level 7 per character feels multiplied by 100. Too steep of a ramp, even though I get that they want "Master" skins to mean something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom