• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been too long since I've played Chromie.

For those who did the nexus challenge already did you get gold rewards for those you owned already? I don't really care for the mount and I own all the heroes.

Maledict

People don't realize you need someone to enable her since she can't as easily one shot someone anymore. Jaina always excelled at blowing someone up by herself and Guldan has the waveclear of a god. Kael I can't explain, do people still spread bombs like they are free candy?

Li Ming still isn't a difficult character just throw out your skillshots until someone's low enough to blow them up. Alternatively play with ETC and just land a combo on whomever he powerslides.

Kael has the best zone control kit in the game, and the best stun in the game. I've started playing him again because on maps where you fight over a zone he is actually really, really powerful. Braxis, Shrines, Cursed Hollow and Sky Temple are all maps where his combination of flame strike + living bomb + Phoenix is really, really strong. Plus as said, empowered gravity lapse is the single best non-heroic stun in the game.

There is a real, noticeable difference though in his skill levels I've found - he lacks the raw power of before, but in the hands of a player who can land the stun, and combo his abilities, he is still a completely valid pick. And doesn't rely on spreading living bombs... ;-)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
No, you don't get any substitute if you already have a hero. In the end you get free stims and mounts which are worth real money.

Kael has the best zone control kit in the game, and the best stun in the game. I've started playing him again because on maps where you fight over a zone he is actually really, really powerful. Braxis, Shrines, Cursed Hollow and Sky Temple are all maps where his combination of flame strike + living bomb + Phoenix is really, really strong. Plus as said, empowered gravity lapse is the single best non-heroic stun in the game.

There is a real, noticeable difference though in his skill levels I've found - he lacks the raw power of before, but in the hands of a player who can land the stun, and combo his abilities, he is still a completely valid pick. And doesn't rely on spreading living bombs... ;-)

I see, best impression I got off KT was a 1.2k flamestrike by being hit twice with it as Zarya. The combo just doesn't seem as scary anymore but I've been playing mostly non squishies lately. Chen, Tyrael and Zarya can just negate his damage and when I'm forced into support I go with BW.

Maledict

He's not a tank killer. Saying that, he's good against melee heavy teams because stun + living bomb *will* result in its chaining off people, especially on the maps I listed because of the way they work.

He's definitely not wat he used to be, and he's not an auto pick like other dps (Valla, for ex)), but he has a place in the game in some scenarios and when I've played him recently I definitely have felt like I was making a noticeable impact on the game. Especially in a team with ETC or Muradin, where the fact he has a stun really, really helps.

Pooya

It's been too long since I've played Chromie.

For those who did the nexus challenge already did you get gold rewards for those you owned already? I don't really care for the mount and I own all the heroes.

I had Li-Ming, I got nothing for it.

What's really bad is Zarya actually. she's quite new right, like it came out like a month ago, and she's free now. That's quite soon. if someone paid real money for it, they have the right to be pissed.

Haven't had to play against him on Braxis but that sure sounds annoying.
To be fair though I still occasionally see a KT ban so expect that in regards to player quality.
I had Li-Ming, I got nothing for it.

What's really bad is Zarya actually. she's quite new right, like it came out like a month ago, and she's free now. That's quite soon. if someone paid real money for it, they have the right to be pissed.
Yeah I'd be annoyed right now if I didn't get the bundle for free.

Wish they at least had a separate list if you owned them already like they did before. I still need to buy Dehaka and Guldan and I only have 10k atm.

Alur

Varian rocking a 54.8% winrate in HL with Twin Blades, and ~40% overall with any other heroic.

Varian rocking a 60.9% winrate in QM with Twin Blades, 59% winrate with Colossal Smash, and 41% winrate with Taunt.

Pretty easy to see which build is going to get a buff and which will get a nerf, even with so little data.

scoobs

Twin blades is absurd. The tank heroic just doesn't do much in comparison to the other two. Colossus smash is so funny, just deletes Chromie and Morales.

Milly79

Smash also provides another small gap closer when your 6s charge is on CD. xD

Edit 1 - Scoobs you can get the RaF mount by making 4 smurfs and using the link on your main account. That's what I did. It takes a while for sure, but I'm pretty sure there's a stim pack in there somewhere to speed it up. With everyone running beginner/easy AI speedruns right now, it would be a good time to grind that out if you really wanted it.

Edit 2 - They should just make the stun on Varian's E baseline and at .25/.5 seconds. That's part of the warrior fantasy anyway, no? That shit doesn't slow AFAIK in WoW -- it's a stun. Make it baseline and shorter. Maybe decrease the CD to 12-14 seconds or so instead of baseline 16. Also, nerf Twin Blades and then make the 20 what the 10 is now. If you get that 20 upgrade it's basically GG if you haven't lost before that.

I'll agree Varian is OP, but he's not OP like Samuro or Ming when she released. He has no escapes and his survivability sucks. He can stand and bang very briefly but usually gets blown up in the process from my experience.

Taunt needs to last like twice as long as it does. 1.25 seconds on one target is a complete fucking joke. Axe Call in DOTA lasts 3.2 seconds maxed and taunts everything in an AoE around Axe. Not that the two games are comparable in any way, but what a terrible Heroic ability.

Maledict

Taunt needs to last like twice as long as it does. 1.25 seconds on one target is a complete fucking joke. Axe Call in DOTA lasts 3.2 seconds maxed and taunts everything in an AoE around Axe. Not that the two games are comparable in any way, but what a terrible Heroic ability.

Yeah, i don't see the point of the Dora comparison tbh. CC is FAR stronger in Dota than in hots, because dota also has black kings bar and other items to negate cc.

I mean, I do absolutely agree with you that it should be stronger, but the dota comparison doesn't really make sense.

Yeah, i don't see the point of the Dora comparison tbh. CC is FAR stronger in Dota than in hots, because dota also has black kings bar and other items to negate cc.

I mean, I do absolutely agree with you that it should be stronger, but the dota comparison doesn't really make sense.

CC's work differently but when you look at the reason for it, Taunt still doesn't measure up. BKB isn't the reason disables are so strong in DOTA. BKBs don't come online until the mid-late game and generally only carries have the money to buy them.

CCs are so strong in DOTA to give support/initiation heroes value by preventing carry heroes from completely wrecking everything. The only way a 30k net worth Antimage ever possibly dies is by CCing him to death. So powerful CC on support heroes is a necessary thing in that game. BKBs are that X-factor that a carry can buy later in the game to attempt to mitigate that for a few seconds and change the dynamics of a team fight.

Very few hard carries in DOTA have legitimate stuns and the ones that do are melee (Sven, CK).

HOTS doesn't have "Carries" so the entire concept of how CCs should be distributed is much different.

But one thing we have seen in HOTS is that the most valuable tank heroes are the ones with the most reliable and effective CC. I don't know why Blizzard was so shy with Taunt because it's clear that if you want an effective Tank you need to give them effective reliable crowd control. Charge is an initiation or peel ability, not a CC, in the same vein as Thunderclap and Face Melt.

So with the way HOTS works, Warriors should have the bulk of the CC with supports right behind.

So I really don't understand why they're making Taunt so shitty. I'd buff it to 2 seconds and raise the cooldown back to what it was (24?).

That being said, maybe simply nerfing Twin Blades is the way to start. But his tank build doesn't look like it measures up well against the game's other tanks, and I think Taunt is a big culprit. Muradin becomes unkillable with Avatar, ETC picks between two game-changing abilities and Varian gets a crappy retarget while the rest of his kit doesn't have anywhere near the same level of mobility or peel as ETC/Muradin. Taunt is the skill that he needs to function as a Tank, it just needs to be better.

brian!

im down for build variety but to me a hero pick in this game should largely be about the base kit, variation make a lot more sense to me in league and dota where it's a lot more lane/matchup dependent. the idea that im gonna pick varian or monk early to make the other team think "oh...is it a fighter or a healer or a tank, this really puts a wrench in my planning" doesnt hold water w/ me at all

something that could work is the dissemination of types of power spikes at different parts of the game. it's hypothetically a lot more interesting to have varian choose between an aggressive early gank spec vs an early solo lane spec, this way you avoid the goofy "is it a jungler or a top laner" stuff that's relevant in other games but not here and you create strategic choice and reaction on both sides. whereas picking varian now, even w/ an improved tank build, will result in this type of thinking: is varian a better tank/melee than x? I should probably pick up x if he isn't and I should probably pick up varian if he is

brian!

i mean i am curious to see how it turns out and whether it's successful, and I like the talent directions (I love the banner/majoras mask monk statues stuff for example)
but for heroes at least I'm way more into design like dehaka or sylvanas, cool hots specific things that change how ppl play

something that could work is the dissemination of types of power spikes at different parts of the game. it's hypothetically a lot more interesting to have varian choose between an aggressive early gank spec vs an early solo lane spec, this way you avoid the goofy "is it a jungler or a top laner" stuff that's relevant in other games but not here and you create strategic choice and reaction on both sides. whereas picking varian now, even w/ an improved tank build, will result in this type of thinking: is varian a better tank/melee than x? I should probably pick up x if he isn't and I should probably pick up varian if he is

i agree, this is honestly what i miss most from League and DOTA

HOTS had it a bit perviously with Kaelthas and Azmodan and it created a really cool dynamic where the other team felt like they had to be really aggressive in the early and midgame

Ketch

I think varian's stun would be fine if it wasn't on a 6 sec cooldown.

If you compare it to diablo, etc, and even artanis... those abilitis are mostly fine because you can't just constantly chase people with them.

brian!

varian stun is like butcher stun right? it makes him go into everyone for the stun

i agree, this is honestly what i miss most from League and DOTA

HOTS had it a bit perviously with Kaelthas and Azmodan and it created a really cool dynamic where the other team felt like they had to be really aggressive in the early and midgame

yeah azmo was the most mobaish character and youd get nice games where the narrative would revolve around the pick, i remember one game that ended up being a remake w/ some eu team, i think it was an intl

Milly79

Yeah, he has to go in like The Butcher. No escape either and his sustained is tied into a talent if you take it at 7, but he can block basic attacks. He really doesn't survive long and his sustain if you take it isn't that great unless he's under 50% and you still get melted quick.

It is worth pointing out it's also a way small range (doesn't run all over) and it's practically instant because of that. The Butcher has that long windup depending on how far away they are and the stun is shorter IIRC. They're pretty same-y all in all.

Ketch

Now imagine if butchers stun was on a 6 sec cooldown. That would be dumb.

It's kind of a silly talent. Like any other hero would be one talent to make it a stun, and a separate talent to reduce the cooldown. Maybe even on the same tier so you can't have both.

Even tho OP variant of varian doesn't seem that bad tho.... I think the real problem is zeratul.

brian!

Code:
[IMG]http://image.prntscr.com/image/99cc822b34464b8ebaf7a1659d42700c.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Bz9ZyTH.jpghttp://[/IMG]
but the other way around

that jumping ult varian has is badass
im gonna guess this is the roster they are going with since they were a 5 man
oh wait no i forgot equinox is on gfe now lmao

Alur

A team full of pros stomped by some ladder warriors. And Equinox bad on Varian confirmed. I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked.

Zagaras kit is alot better now. Alot, alot better. She got nerfed from her initial rework, but she's still great.

How'd they kill it exactly? She's much more fun now than before the rework IMO. Banelings are a blast.

I dont ler her new Q, launching one per ast is boring and not as cool as launching a barrage of banelings,

her W is the same but lost the two hidralisk spawn and her upgrades are kinda lete now I think

Her E is mostly the same but got buffed , cool

Her D (heh) lost her mobility or got merged into a passive ability but I am gonna miss the extra area trait and mobility skills unless it were moved to the last skill tier

Zomba13

Anyone want to do the Nexus Challenge thing to get the characters and OW skin stuff? My bnet is Zomba13#1502 and I'm basically a big noob and just want to try and blast through the games vs easy AI. I would do it with a friend except he doesn't care about this stuff and won't help me and refuses to even try a free game.

I'm on Europe servers if that matters at all (I think it does).

bWhvvkv.jpg

So, spotted this in the new "Welcome to Heroes of the Storm" video. As I don't give them enough money already :(

Alavard

bWhvvkv.jpg

So, spotted this in the new "Welcome to Heroes of the Storm" video. As I don't give them enough money already :(

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. It could have to do with the new progression system. They talked about wanting to give much more in the way of rewards for levels in the new system, including skins and other cosmetics.

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. It could have to do with the new progression system. They talked about wanting to give much more in the way of rewards for levels in the new system, including skins and other cosmetics.

I'm fine with jumping to conclusions here, because I'm always excited for more stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom