• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Something I still don't understand with Glaurung is how his pool in competitive has been historically low when he's playing more than 3 heroes on stream regularly. He's been playing nothing but Dehaka and Alarak lately. I know he has no confidence in his Thrall but it's hard to imagine he hel his comp pool low for lack of confidence.

It's possible Denial simply pigeonholed him. Or if there was overlap they preferred iDream or whoever and didn't give him the shot, and maybe iDream didn't want those heroes to begin with. Hard to tell. In more than one way I wouldn't be shocked if he's a victim of his own reputation, both in the way his team frames him and the way the opposition does.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Haven't played Johanna in forever and my first impressions are she sucks compared to other Warriors except Diablo.

Haven't played Johanna in forever and my first impressions are she sucks compared to other Warriors except Diablo.
She still excels at waveclear but as always her lack of engage hurts her the most, makes her good on pretty much only Tomb. You can take falling sword nowadays though if you want to blow up a backline
It's possible Denial simply pigeonholed him. Or if there was overlap they preferred iDream or whoever and didn't give him the shot, and maybe iDream didn't want those heroes to begin with. Hard to tell. In more than one way I wouldn't be shocked if he's a victim of his own reputation, both in the way his team frames him and the way the opposition does.
possibly, hard to tell what's going on behind the scenes but he seemed pretty cordial wrt the departure.

Denial's dead to me tho.

Dice

I mean she is workable, it's just that other warriors offer so much cool shit that she is plain white bread tank.

brian!

When ppl talk about hero pools they are talking about in a competitive setting, im sure most pros can play any hero at a high level. So when you see glau on xul or thrall or tlv, you can kinda tell that while he knows how they work he doesnt have the skillset to make them work in that type of environment. It's related to confidence too, sometimes youll hear about comfort picks being prioritized over the correct pick for the comp and itll still be the right draft because the player will perform at a higher lvl w/ the subpar pick.

W/r/t glau, he has shown repeatedly that he only has a couple of tricks up his sleeve and that he doesnt even particularly stand out on the heroes he's comfortable with + he's tilt heavy and has a hard time finding a middle ground between making plays because he feels like he has to put the team on his back and not really doing anything at all.

but Mike never was particularly great with those, they always looked like filler. He is on the other hand pretty good at multiple heroes we've not seen them use in competitive at all or only rarely.
Part of that is probably only having 1 good showing in any tournament though.

He's only played Chen a grand total of 5 times on denial for instance

brian!

I cant really think of any heroes that he's particularly good at

His main strength to me is that he has a good eye and good game knowledge but it seems like he has never been able to translate that to communication w/ the team, ill often see him mount up for a good rotation only to dbl back because his team got wrapped up in a fight, his teams often end up a man down because of this and it sucks because the rotation would often be the right thing to do too

He's clearly not a carry but he's still great at most melee heroes. You're definitely right on the money with your analysis.
When you didn't have him feeding you often had his team feed w/o him. At Blizzcon in particular there was a game with him on Xul where he was just laning 24/7 while the rest of his team took some bad engages.

Denial was doing the whole no dedicated shotcaller again though that already hurt C9, weren't they?

Alur

Denial's whole shtick has been questionable since day one.

Re-run the same broken lineup, more or less, with the same failing strategies.

One could only hope that they'd get a real, dominant shotcaller or just all go their separate ways to bolster several other teams. To me, having that group together (Caff/k1/iDream) is like staying in a bad relationship. Everyone knows better, but they do it anyway because it's more comfortable than putting themselves out there otherwise.

Dice

I figured out the secret to the brawl. If you're defending the ship, you lose.

I got the attacking team and won in like 90 seconds lol.

Denial's whole shtick has been questionable since day one.

Re-run the same broken lineup, more or less, with the same failing strategies.

One could only hope that they'd get a real, dominant shotcaller or just all go their separate ways to bolster several other teams. To me, having that group together (Caff/k1/iDream) is like staying in a bad relationship. Everyone knows better, but they do it anyway because it's more comfortable than putting themselves out there otherwise.

are there any successful teams left w/o shotcaller? I could imagine some of the Koreans but no one on Denial is on that lvl.
Aside from Denial poaching someone or picking up Mc I don't expect much from them. Mac has shown repeatedly he can carry teams if he cares but he was also way too passive on NVT.

scoobs

I've only played two games, but defense is a solid 0/2 so far and it hasnt been close. Anyone else experience this or am I just unlucky?

brian!

It's pretty based on the random heroes you get, didnt feel like it favored one side or the other on ptr but i only played like 5 times before giving it up. Had one team with 2 falstad and two tyrande lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've only played two games, but defense is a solid 0/2 so far and it hasnt been close. Anyone else experience this or am I just unlucky?

I'm on a 3 game defense win streak but we've gotten lucky with characters with globals or Tyrande for group stealth. The times I do lose on defense, it's a steamroll.

scoobs

I've gotta say that his is how I think all Brawls should be designed. Pick from 3 randoms, silly team comps, and unique objectives. This is much more interesting than last weeks where its just controlling the towers for shots at their core... boring

Alur

It's pretty based on the random heroes you get, didnt feel like it favored one side or the other on ptr but i only played like 5 times before giving it up. Had one team with 2 falstad and two tyrande lol

The devs interviewed with Scott and co on CORE or Garrett and co on ITN (I forget which) and said it wasn't perfectly balanced. They had done what they could, but attack was stronger IIRC and they were fine with that because it's such a short brawl and because it's a brawl to begin with and not everything has to be OMG srs.

Alur

At least this brawl portrait is a little better than some of the others. But can't complain really about free portraits.

Alavard

At least this brawl portrait is a little better than some of the others. But can't complain really about free portraits.

I'm surprised it took us this long to get to something that gives us new portraits on an actual regular basis (outside of the two we get with each hero release).

Between the progression system overhaul, the way portraits are handled in Overwatch, and the spotted 'loot' button in that screenshot, I feel like we're going to get a ton of new ones at some point in the near future.

Alur

I wish they'd just port the actual Overwatch portraits over. Even if it's just the pertinent ones. There's some great ones there.

Also, just did the brawl. Holy shit does being on defense have a disadvantage. At least it's quick, so hard to complain too much, but way easier due to how easy it is to disrupt versus just letting the ship stroll about while you don't have to do anything.

EDIT: Five tries, finally got to be on offense. Thanks Blizz.

Dice

Geez. Is this length consistent in the brawl? I haven't played it yet.
No, but it is still very fast compared to other brawls. How it should be, really. Thing is, I think they never made it this fast before because it's a pain for search/loading to last longer than the match. Their whole setup isn't really made for something like this.

Alur

Looks like a greatly pared down Black Friday sale this year:

Weekly Sale Items for Nov 22 – 28, 2016

Azmodan — Sale Price: 1.99 EUR
Tychus — Sale Price: 3.19 EUR
Azmodunk Skin — Sale Price: 7.49 EUR
Infested Tychus Skin — Sale Price: 7.49 EUR

Stimpacks

360 Day Stimpack — Sale Price: 59.89 EUR

Coming Bundles

Legends of the Nexus Bundle — Sale Price: 39.99 EUR

Tassadar + Mecha-Tassadar Skin
Leoric + Space Lord Skin
Kerrigan + Queen of Ghosts Skin
Space Lord's Starbreaker Mount
Ghost Speeder Mount

Altered War Bundle — Sale Price: 9.99 EUR

Arthas + Crown Prince Skin
Tyrande + Blood Elf Skin
Illidan + Shan'do Skin
Sonya + Wrath Skin
Sylvanas + Ranger-General Skin

Milly79

LOL Kenma bming Trik on Twitter

horsepants and trikslyr just trolls, feelsbad when a blizz employee is part of the problem

Never stops, lol

Then goes on to say in LoL when he got trolled at least they were good enough to be in diamond. So I guess horse and trik just aren't on kenma's level. Who would've thought?

Alur

Dude can't help himself. A 14 year old in a 30 year old's body.

Then goes on to say in LoL when he got trolled at least they were good enough to be in diamond. So I guess horse and trik just aren't on kenma's level. Who would've thought?

Hasn't Trik been in GM, though? Not saying that means he's pro level, just saying it's not like Kenma is much of a pro support either.

At least when Arthelon BM'd other players thought he was good. Most players who have claimed Kenma is good are also nobodies, and there's not even a handful of them.

Milly79

I'd assume he has. Most of the time I've watched he's been in masters though. Is Kenma even a gm? Horse was #3 at one point.

This dude on Reddit said it best: This guy is such a dick. How someone can be so arrogant when their life resumé is so sad. You're an angry fat man in his 30's who collects sneakers.

Alur

Ain't nothing wrong with being 30+ (I am), being fat (I'll be there in a few years at this rate), or collecting sneakers (I have a pair or two of limited shoes)...it's just all the rest of it that's the problem.

Played some more Varian earlier. Gud fun. I'm not sure on that Colossus Smash or whatever it's called. The winrate on it is booty tier in HL compared to Twin Blades and Twin Blades is just so satisfying.

Does the Smash affect your attack speed? That's probably my favorite part of Twin Blades. The super fast attacks.

Alur

It's p good. Dat ASU tint /rubshands pretty cool seeing the local uni in the video game I play that isn't even sports related.

Ketch

The fact that trick and horse pants can be do highly placed even playing off meta heroes is a testament to their skill.

Kenma is a man child.

Edit: please post the tweets. Or the refdit thread I couldn't find it

brian!

I think colossus smash is prtty good
Def one of the best sound files in the game

Dont really need to read the thread ketch, it's just kenma being typically salty and blamey and then ppl telling him that he's ruining hots for everyone and that his life is miserable + a random discussion of whether horsepants is actually good or whether trikslyr counts as a troll by picking gazlowe all the time, you arent missing much. Sorry no link lol, but i think it's rightfully on the 2nd page alreadt, if you want to subject urself to this

Ketch

I think I get it.

Not sure exactly what problem horse pants and trik are a part of tho.... The problem of people having fun?

Kenma should run for president.

Milly79

Ain't nothing wrong with being 30+ (I am), being fat (I'll be there in a few years at this rate), or collecting sneakers (I have a pair or two of limited shoes)...it's just all the rest of it that's the problem.

Played some more Varian earlier. Gud fun. I'm not sure on that Colossus Smash or whatever it's called. The winrate on it is booty tier in HL compared to Twin Blades and Twin Blades is just so satisfying.

Does the Smash affect your attack speed? That's probably my favorite part of Twin Blades. The super fast attacks.

Difference being is you aren't a pro-gamer/in the limelight. That's okay for us in pleb land. Not cool to be a complete dick all the time when you're supposed to be professional. I understand people calling him out like that, and if I weren't blocked on his Twitter I'd do it too.

Smash is better than Blades, IMO. Provides another gap closer, vuln and potentially mass vuln at 20. I think I've used Blades twice and smash the rest out of the 10~ games I've used him. It's satisfying as fuck for a tank to dive and get deleted. ITN also made a good point: since smash is AP, the banner of Dalaran would be a good pickup. His level 13 is fucking fantastic.

Kenma should run for president.

As if serving Trump wasn't enough, amirite?

Ketch

Is this new?

G4w1eXd.png

Also, did they not add the phasm prism while dashing yet? I could not get it to work, I thought maybe i was just timing it badly, but even when I did it super early it wouldn't come out until after the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom