• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

he might start getting banned again, he has bugs on warhead and illusion master and they havent disabled him for ranked yet

scoobs

Tbh I didn't find him that fun and I love melee heroes. Maybe I'll give him another go if my love for Varian dwindles
That's how I felt too, but as a rule I pretty much steer clear of all FOTM heroes. I like playing the shit nobody plays

brian!

list of 10 least played heroes according to hotslogs:
cho/gall
murky
medivh
tlv
abathur
anub
rexxar
gmane
leoric

tfw tlv and aba see more play than medivh

list of 10 least played heroes according to hotslogs:
cho/gall
murky
medivh
tlv
abathur
anub
rexxar
gmane
leoric

tfw tlv and aba see more play than medivh

Ive been loving anub so much lately. His CC is great and coocoon is so disgusting used at the right moment.

brian!

dcfd219f7104437490ee6e506379108d.png

oh so that's why it's called quick match

Manoko

Anyone up for a few quick play games on EU ?
(Manoko#1533)

I'm new (only did 28 games so far) but I play a not so bad Raynor.

Prelude.

Man, I can't practice Li-Ming for shit with these comps I'm getting in QM. 4 assassins, 1 warrior.
I had to go back to Johanna to get my first win of the day.

Ridli

So is there a list of GAF noobs to friend/play with for this current promo? I've not played a lot of hots but am easily swayed by "free" stuff like this Zarya/Genji skin.

Alur

If you just want the free stuff, /join nexuschallenge in game and join one of those groups. They'll help you get it really fast. Just make sure you friend someone in the group.

If you're looking to hang around, probably the best way to group up with GAF members is to post your b.net tag and when you normally play. There's a channel on EU and NA, /join NeoGAF, but most of us don't use it now this far into the game's life.

Ridli

Excellent, thanks for the tip about the channels.

Izzy#1960 - NA - mostly available in the later afternoon-early evening PT.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
"Play with friends" isn't as glorious as Blizzard makes it sound. What it really means is play with people who you literally added 5 seconds before queuing and then never see/talk to them again and only see their name again when you reach the bnet friend limit and delete them so you can add someone else for the xp bonus. It was so cute seeing all those posts on Reddit about needing friends while all the Hots players knew exactly what to do - spam chat, mass invite, ai rush.

labx

Banned
Well. I had a lot of fun playing tonight. The only thing that sucks is the amount of money that everything costs in this game.

Ketch

lucky enough to have the hardest chogall counter in the game on your team when you get matched against him. unlucky enough to have him use literally the worst talents at every fucking tier and get 0 fucking kills the whole game.

edit: and then he just has to fill team chat with the most fucking insightful shot calling ever such as "get the shrine" and "why didn't anyone get the shrine"

Maledict

Keep pretending that same thing doesn't happen in HL.

Yep - we had one game in Braxis Holdout where they let me grab Sylvanas and my partner Rexxar, and i think we won off the first Zerg wave. It's a competitive game where drafting plays a huge part of strategy, sometimes you get blow outs.

scoobs

Yep - we had one game in Braxis Holdout where they let me grab Sylvanas and my partner Rexxar, and i think we won off the first Zerg wave. It's a competitive game where drafting plays a huge part of strategy, sometimes you get blow outs.

Ya thats just a draft loss. Definitely happens quite a bit with inexperienced drafters, or people who just don't care enough to ban the correct heroes.

kirblar

Well. I had a lot of fun playing tonight. The only thing that sucks is the amount of money that everything costs in this game.
If you do dailies and the brawls you can unlock everything eventually with 0 cash, tho when they do super cheap bundles definitely jump on em.

scoobs

I'd also say that with the Nexus Challenge giving you all those free heroes that its really not that much of a buy in for new players anymore. What I would do with a fresh new account is buy the $30 starter pack and complete the nexus challenge and I'd have like 20 heroes right off the bat as a starting point. From there just start completing daily quests and brawls each week and start buying the cheapest heroes.

brian!

Keep pretending that same thing doesn't happen in HL.

It's a pun

Nexus challenge gives a nice boost to new players but otherwise the grind is prtty real

What are the best counterpicks to Arms/Fury Varian at the moment?

I feel like theres a lot of things he's weak to but especially things with escape and burst and just decent positioning in general. Ive had a lot of success with guldan and zeratul but i havent played too much this patch yet, i imagine most actual warriors shit on him too

Alur

From Srey's tier list if you're wondering how different things are at the top/in comp versus regular pleb games:

Srey said:
Varian is a pretty good addition, but I see him having a lot more impact competitively than in Hero League. His lack of waveclear and weak early game can make for very underwhelming starts. By far his best form is Tank. The 2h form is alright and the duel wield is gimmicky. If you use any CC on him and kite he's straight dead.

Basically, his tier list advice is completely counter to what the hotdoggies stats say. Like completely the opposite.

In pub tier games it's Twin Blades >>>> 2H smash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tank build. And you can see it play out in games you play too.

brian!

I like the 2h ult the most but it's like he says you gotta have the followup, im not too familiar w/ the taunt but it's the one im seeing the most of in my games

Im interested in the sss upgrade vs. epiphany discussion, im in the former camp but i do think epiphany is pretty strong

Alur

im not too familiar w/ the taunt but it's the one im seeing the most of in my games

Really? How many games? I've seen it four times across about 28 (edit: scratch that, 6 times. 2 wins). We did manage to snag one win with Milly going it last night, but due to the way matchmaking works and how overtuned those builds are versus how undertuned tank build is it seems folly to take those talents til they nerf the others.

Maledict

From Srey's tier list if you're wondering how different things are at the top/in comp versus regular pleb games:

Basically, his tier list advice is completely counter to what the hotdoggies stats say. Like completely the opposite.

In pub tier games it's Twin Blades >>>> 2H smash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tank build. And you can see it play out in games you play too.

I don't want to sound mean to Srey, but his tier list has always been complete garbage. He can never figure out if it's for pros or hero league, and despite saying it's for hero league he had lili and nazeepo as tier 5 when they were demonstrably some of the best picks in the game for hero league solo play.

Also, I have to be honest - I think NA pro teams have a very bad grasp on the meta. We've seen it time and time again when an international happens - the rest of the world is ahead of them, they don't adapt, they go down in flames. C9 last year at blizzcon with murky was the only time I've ever seen an NA team understand the meta and play into it (and even then, they hadn't figured out Tyrael at all and had to ban him every round against Dig).

If his tier list is for hero league then it needs to reflect that, and put heroes who are strong in hero league but weak at pro level in the right spot. And if it's a list for pro-tiers, then I'd generally just say it's probably not great because NA teams don't have a good record with the meta.

brian!

Very very few games and played pretty ineffectively, the most successful builds ive seen are going smash

Yeah as a spectator i disagree w/ a bunch of it, i def dont think samuro is tier 1 unless he's also counting his self cast bug

scoobs

Feels like the tank build is the one people think is worst, but will come to find is actually the best. Probably depends greatly on team coordination though.

And I'm not sure if you can buy the HOTS soundtrack, if I could I would! Let me know if you find it somewhere.

brian!

Tank build should be the best on paper since it contributes the most cc but i mean that goes back to my main issue w/ him, like just pick a real warrior

Maledict

I mean, given the current win rates with tank spec Varian how can anyone be recommending it? It's just not good right now in hero league!

brian!

Yeah i dont disagree, and agree that his list seems kinda conflicted with itsself, he really should frame it as "these are picks i am biased towards based on my experiences in hl and someone in the scene"

Maledict

I also think that a tier list without further detail, such as what level it is aimed at, is also fairly useless. For example, he has Valla at S tier and yet right now at our level of play (diamond / platinum) the following ranged dps have a higher win rate than her:

Raynor
Hammer
Jaina
Sylvanas
Nova
Tychus
Kael
Gul'Dan
Tracer
Nazeebo
Lunara
Azmodan

That's a *lot* of heroes. I'm not saying his tier list should match the win rate list, but there needs to be some form of link between the two otherwise it doesn't make sense. Why are those heroes performing better than Valla, is it because people are playing Valla wrong?if someone is listed at S tier you really should expect to see it reflected in the numbers, at least a bit more than she is currently.

brian!

Im pretty hesitant to bring wr into this, i dont think valla is s tier either but it feels pretty clear to me that she sees a lower wr because ppl are playing her and getting blown up instead of positioning correctly. I feel the same way about varian dual wield's higher win rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom