• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello strangers

I played again for the first time in like 6 months last night, what a clusterfuck

And that nerf where Locust Nest and mines share cooldowns took me by surprise

I see Abby is 2nd to last in wins on hotslogs now, not that that's terribly surprising but damn

Will probably dabble again for a while, I like Brawl because it's over fast

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when the MVP screen came up

Abathur is very group dependent.

Your allies need to know how to play around abathur. They need to understand that they cant engage in direct fights unless Abby picks up his clone move. As such if he has a low winrate, its not because Abby is in a bad spot, but because most average players dont know how to play around him.

The second aspect is how good you are with him. A clutch shield or discreetly pushing a lane is verh important, and you need very good map awareness to pull off either.

I would say he coud be made better, but there is a thin line because he cant be too good or he would be ridiculous.

The build from Srey's tier list is a good start. Here's the link: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/chen#sedB

The main variations you have to use/encounter are:

1) Elusive Brawler is amazing, but sometimes they have little to no AA. Grounding Brew can be really good against mage heavy comps.
4) Breath of Fire is awesome for ticking up the damage + even faster wave clear. Keg Toss can also be fun if you want to go from annoying POS to the most annoying POS.
7) I almost always go Bolder Flavor, but have seen others swear by Brewmaster's Balance for the move speed/regen bonuses. I think the insta-shield is too strong to pass up though.
10) YOLO
13) Same
16) Same
20) Same

What's funny is before I got my second win with Chen, the HL hero it showed was Lili with 1 win. Panda-monium!

He also made a video where he went over his build and all the other talents on each tier, it's pretty long at ~20 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4f3QTqAkNU&t=1330s

scoobs

Milly holding us back on Braxis, he leaves and we start winning :D

Screenshot2016_11_21_19_48_31.jpg

Alur

I really hope they make it. Both for all the BM chu8 gets for not being good (which by my estimation he is pretty dang good), and so we can watch him be the first player to juggle playing and streaming properly (hopefully) like every other moba has.

scoobs

It warms my heart seeing Dehaka played so much these days (and to great effect). I'm a little concerned they're going to screw him up with the rework now.

And Chu8 is insanely skilled, who was saying otherwise Alur? Anyone with half a brain and a set of functional eyeballs could tell this watching him stream for even an hour.

It warms my heart seeing Dehaka played so much these days (and to great effect). I'm a little concerned they're going to screw him up with the rework now.

And Chu8 is insanely skilled, who was saying otherwise Alur? Anyone with half a brain and a set of functional eyeballs could tell this watching him stream for even an hour.

He gets a lot of shit, from plebs and semi-good ppl alike. All of the top players (GFE, Denial, AA) respect his game though.

Some of it he brings on himself by picking off-meta heroes, a lot of it is jealousy of success and thinking "I should be big time streamer, i'm just as good!". And some is him playing dozens a game a day while interacting with chat, which takes a toll on your concentration.

When he is in tryhard mode, he skyrockets to #1 GM everytime. Dude is an excellent player

scoobs

Mechanically I haven't seen anyone who is better. Where chu struggles IMO is decision making, sometimes he gets caught out or goes too ham in team fights.

chu is awesome, I'm rooting for him. $20k a year added onto his earnings from streaming is going to be pretty sweet for him. I bet he makes 70-80k a year easy from his stream.

scoobs

I have to reiterate that MingLee is the dumbest thing in this game, and thats saying something when Chromie, murky, and Nova exist.

I feel Guldan is up there.

Li Ming and Gul Dan have one thing in common-

Usually if they're half decent, they'll get the highest EXP, highest damage, highest Siege damage.

In Gul'dans case though, he actually needs skill. And he feels alot more satisfying.

scoobs

I feel Guldan is up there.

Li Ming and Gul Dan have one thing in common-

Usually if they're half decent, they'll get the highest EXP, highest damage, highest Siege damage.

In Gul'dans case though, he actually needs skill. And he feels alot more satisfying.

Gul'dan is a fair and well balanced hero. Yes he has crazy damage numbers, but he is also extremely vulnerable to getting dived on and has no escapes. MingLee just rolls her face across the keyboard and deletes an entire team.

My proposed nerf: Calamity damage reduced by 20%. Health reduced by a small amount. Bam, balanced hero. Now you can punish her for being a moron and teleporting onto your front line with zero concern for her safety.

Maledict

My problem with that is Li-Ming has the lowest win rate of all the normal mages right now. Does a sub 50% hero need a further power nerf?

scoobs

My problem with that is Li-Ming has the lowest win rate of all the normal mages right now. Does a sub 50% hero need a further power nerf?

Win rate isn't everything. Ask Muradin.

Should a hero be able to kill an entire team by themselves? I lean towards no personally. I think its Calamity that makes her a problem, its too easy to jump on low hp targets and reset herself and chain kills off of it.

Maledict

Win rate isn't everything. Ask Muradin.

Should a hero be able to kill an entire team by themselves? I lean towards no personally. I think its Calamity that makes her a problem, its too easy to jump on low hp targets and reset herself and chain kills off of it.

I agree there are situations where she is problematic, and calamity is the heart of that. But at the same time - you are better off drafting any other mage more often than not than her. When she wipes teams in that way it does feel horrendous to be on the receiving end, but in the cold light of day when I watched my replays it was clear that the mistake was on my teams fault - lack of CC in draft, lack of damage to counter her, and poor positioning on the battlefield that made her able to do the chain kills.

She's a really difficult hero to look at, and I am torn between 'she isn't fun to play against when she does her thing' versus 'it's okay to have broken abilities on heroes sometimes".

I mean, I absolutely prefer fighting li-Ming over chromie for example.

Maledict

Credit where credit is due, Srey just posted a HUMONGOUS post about his tier list, what it's for, how he sees it, commentary on hots content creation (like Brian's) and a specific breakdown on Azmodan and why his hotslogs position is misleading.

Which is exactly the type of content I want to consume, so good on him!

Kioshen

Played a few games of Dota 2 lately. Man it's hard to go back to 40 minute games and no mounts.

Not that I want to digress too much but didn't the fire sale on TPs alleviate that problem somewhat ? It has been a while since i've played though like since TI4 that I haven't played long ...

brian!

Credit where credit is due, Srey just posted a HUMONGOUS post about his tier list, what it's for, how he sees it, commentary on hots content creation (like Brian's) and a specific breakdown on Azmodan and why his hotslogs position is misleading.

Which is exactly the type of content I want to consume, so good on him!

He wrote it with such a patient tone, great post. Wish he stuck with the lili example tho. We are basically of the same mind on hotslogs and it's misuse, not that i expect this post to shift the conversation meaningfully, like outside of a psa on the hotslog website there's not much ppl can do, ppl are just trained to use stats incorrectly

It is actually slightly distressing that if ~silver mmr split push azmo reigns and is a terror to the majority of the player base, that no organic counter strategy has cropped within that mmr range. But i assume some ppl get the hint and just are leaving that bracket behind when they figure it out

The lack of resource thing is very real compared to other mobas. I always had the feeling that disabled all chat contributed as well (i do prefer no all chat tho), where heckling about poor strategy and play often serve as a learning experience. But in league or dota guides by pros dont really get derided like in hots because in the end they were both playing versions of the same game w/ the same goals. Hots has somehow ended up so much more complicated than that, and id largely point to the opaqueness of the exp mechanic (which is the fundamental basis of any strat in this game) and the visual emphasis on map objectives. It's really really hard for a player to think about things that the game doesnt explicitly tell you to think about. The best resources ive had for this game are a guide on dshire by dreadnaught and zuna's stream

Maledict

I sort of disagree tbh. I think the vast, vast majority of the player base in dota have no idea on the basic mechanics and map flow, and a lot of the contradictory elements involved in standard moba design. I mean, the average dota 2 player is making fundamental mistakes re exp, pushing and chasing all the time.

What's missing though is the opportunity to *see* high level play. If I want to consume high level, skilled content in lol or dota I can go onto twitch and find some, any day any time. That's not the case in hots, which means a fundamental learning tool just isn't present.

(I mean, I didn't encounter a single person who didn't think dreadnaughts guide to Dshire wasn't amazing - but so few people saw it).

Re Silver level azmodan players - sorry but that's the case in all mobas. Look at pudges utter dominance at the lower levels of dota play. It's simply how the games play. When people do evolve strategies to beat it, they move up to gold level play. Heck, same in Starcraft - cheesy crap dominates at the lower tiers of play but is totally unviable at higher levels. When you learn how to beat cheese, you graduate up to higher levels and so stop seeing it because it doesn't work and everyone doing it loses.

Alur

That was quite the read but that wasn't what I had gathered you were looking for brian, or at least the majority of it wasn't.

There was a bit about specific heroes in there, but the majority was setup or preamble. Perhaps it needed to be said, but at the same time we've seen similar posts before.

I guess that's even a knowledge gap for non-GAF versus GAF versus wherever Srey plays. I think most of us here are well aware that bar a few major blips (Zag overtuned, for example), split-push cheese is a low level thing. He is concerned by the lack of knowledge. I'm not shocked nor surprised by it. It is what it is.

I haven't played a game yet that didn't look like two different games from the bottom level to the top level. Not sure why that's such an issue to him or others, particularly when you consider the players this game is pulling.

I mean, dude pretty much said it best.

Lower level play has players who understand the game and it's strategies well but can't progress or progress extremely slowly due to mechanical issues. We've had quite a few of them be regulars in this thread. Whether by the game's design or everyone's lack of knowledge, decent skill can carry you to a decent level in this game provided you don't dig yourself a hole...and then you see a lack of strategy/thought in games at a higher level too.

I guess that's concerning if you're going to compare it to some kind of election level shit like you were referring to yesterday...but to me it's just a game. And I haven't seen a lot of difference between how people act or understand this one than any other I played. My general observation from those who do is that they played either League or Dota and that's the hangup.

Alur

Also did he really say he hasn't seen Azmo played well in ages? I hope he meant split push and just left that part out.

Kioshen

The yung serial corrector in HOTS!

Milly day isn't over yet.

lol no I didn't meant it as a correction more like a curiosity because they lowered the cost of teleportation scrolls a lot over the course of several patches and I was wondering if it had any impact to help mobility over the large map.

brian!

Heres a book

Oh i mean it's not weird that you dont see the link between his post and my rants, since i was just really aimlessly ranting, but if i had to say some things:

Out of context statistics is a thing that gets me going and played a large part in our election results, i dont mean to say that this and anything hots related are even close in importance, just that statistics and presentation and the effect of things like advertisement and marketing is a thing that's important to me and has been for a while. So you can see why the misuse of a resource like hotslogs works me up. As srey reiterates, hotslogs only shows you the result, it's not the means it's just the end (i always say that the hotslogs winrate only shows you one thing: how many times that hero has won or lost).

When i talk about wanting hero specific discourse i am talking about the urge for rational base level discussion; that is it is fundamentally impertinent to the game to speak about balance or whatever in this game without actually talking about what heroes do or do not do on paper. Different levels of play dont matter, talk about the game and dont forward anecdotes as evidence. I dont expect discourse to improve or diminish, it's just a want i have.

When i talk about dota or league being more homgenized im talking about a fundamental meta that is followed, even if everyone is not cognizant of it, of similar goals but diff ideas of efficiency. This barely exists in hots from the bottom up, in my opinion in part due to obscured mechanics. In league of dota it is very easy to see that you want to make gold and get good items and prevent the enemy from doing this, and ymmv based on level w/r/t the ways of doing this...but everyone wants to do the same thing, that's what the game is, they want to get their resource and prevent the other team from getting theirs. They dont have to be aware of this, the game drives them towards this and the strategy emerges from the various tools provided via map, conp, etc. Hots is advertised as a brawler and have these ostentatious map objectives so like i said it's understandable that the idea that exp is king and that map obj are a means to this end is lost on ppl, like this is part of why i think na hots players have not improved much in 2 years.

I like to read so i emphasize what i want when i view discussion, but maledict talks about watching high lvl play and the lack of options for this and im in total agreement. But to be fair to content creators, creating content for hots is a different ballgame than creating content for other mobas, like the amount of vitriol that pops up when someone at a higher lvl suggests you play a different way in this game is different. Battlerite is suffering from this too. Hopefully a weekly visible tourney like hgc can help this along.

Also srey is theorizing that silver->diamond mainly consists of outplaying via mechanics and that this results in dissonance at the very top when these ppl enter the field with ppl who actually know how to play, not the other way around. And so you get a mechanically great zeratul who leaves a lane unsoaked or tries to engage 4v5, like he can outplay these situations mechanically until he reaches the top where hes fucking dead weight because those decisions start costing the game. I dunno how much i agree with that, but i know high level na players cconsistently are faced with this dissonance and are paired with ppl who are playing a diff game than they are.

"It is what it is" is also my approach in the end, but i have fun writing rambling posts about stuff and putting words to my exp. and thoughts on the game. Like a big part of why i got into this game was because it was new and it's consistently interesting to me to watch the twists and turns it goes through, plus i have little stake in whether it succeeds or not.

W/r/t tier lists, imo a tier list needs to consider the game itself, regardless of ppls ability to play the game itself. Im not gonna read an article about how queens in chess are super valuable and get pissed off because my pawn kda is much higher. You can make the argument that pawns are more valuable in certain skill levels and that's fine, but you cant say that pawns are objectively stronger. Btw i dont know shit about chess so sry if this is nails on a chalkboard to someone. I mean that's just my take on it, it's why i say that you might as well look at winrates if you do not want to talk about the way the game works, pawns are great in silver ppl dunno how to deal with 5 min pawn rush, but to me you cant make an objective tier list that doesnt consider that this may not be the best option regardless of it's success at certain skill levels...and like indeed the constant railing against the idea that it's relevant to a group of players who are ignorant to certain game possibilities is literally a call to diminish knowledge. When ppl tell srey his tier list is irrelevant because the majority of players dont understand the game well...like he's not talking about some elitist vision of the meta, he's literally expressing his views on the base game from his perspective. It's a resource not a rulebook. It's just a game in the end, tho i see parallels w/ more important things.

Alur

You read way too much into this shit breh, haha. Damn son.

It's a game. People play it different ways. Not sure it merits or needs philosophical discussion. If we were talking about the stuff we watch on a stream or in competitive, sure, there's lots of merit in breaking that down and why it works or doesn't and learning from it. I don't feel that way about everyday queuing.

re: Srey and his soliloquy - a tier list is always seen as a "play this, it's strongest" list regardless of the game I've played. Right or wrong, that's what it's used for. If that's what it's used for, it's useless to beat against the wall and ask it to be used for something else. Whether it's MMO classes for raiding, cards in Clash Royale, heroes in HOTS, or talents in WoW PVP. If you readily admit well more than half the population can't understand or use your list as you intended because it's too far above their heads, well, then it's probably not a very good one no matter how accurate you feel it is. It's hard for me to feel upset for him that people who have wildly different experiences give negative feedback.

You call it anecdotal, their experiences or mine or whatever, but that's taking out the aspect of the hotdoggies themselves. I see what I see, and then I see what I see on HOTSlogs. Most of the time they align in my experience in Diamond MMR. The few exceptions have been well documented here from my perspective - Tracer was a big one. I never found her particularly obnoxious or strong and I couldn't win more than 50/50 with her in my games, but everyone else was putting up 60% plus and getting their bitch on about how toxic she was.

Anyway, you and I have had this hotslogs discussion about 35 times now so it's not going anywhere. You feel we overvalue it, I think you undervalue it. Time is an endless circle.

brian!

Tru plus i enjoy writing the walls of text, tho ill reiterate for the 35th time that my issue with hotslogs is with the way ppl use it, and i think srey did a good job putting out words about it to that end

Ketch

the urge for rational base level discussion

It's just a game in the end, tho i see parallels w/ more important things.

You had me, and then you lost me.

horse.gif

Also, I want to say that unlike other mobas, If you play correctly while your team is playing incorrectly (ie. gathering resources) you are punished extremely hard in HOTS compared to other mobas and it's probably the biggest reason I have such a hard time enjoying the game these days.

edit: I want to clarify because maybe I don't even understand myself. If my mechanics aren't good enough to just outright outplay enemy players ... like in an any evenly skilled match up, then in other mobas I can create a gold/item advantage to win the game. while in hots it doesn't matter if I have 50% more xp then everyone else in the game because it's shared. This is obviously my fault for not actually playing correctly, but it still sucks, but what else should I do? I don't want to fight because we are not ahead, so I farm and fall further behind, it is so counter intuitive to the way every other game in the genre works. It reminds me of the feeling in other mobas when you have a teammate who constantly steals all your last hits.

Maybe this is why I've had more success with falstad then other heroes recently, not only can he soak and be at team fights, but he's also got two really good level 1 questing talents that can help you carry a game.

brian!

I mean that's just a moba thing, you arent playing correctly if you are playing ideally and your team isnt. I only really play qm cuz it's chill and i find that a lot of my effort goes into predicting the effect of decisionmaking from the other 9 players and trying to preempt and maximizing resource gain so my team can be at an advantage even if decision making is poor. At least that's how id put words to it, like in reality im just zoning out when i play. In other mobas i cant do shit if my team sucks at laning or they are accross the map but this game has miniscule maps and mounts so i can aleays try to be at the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom