• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was playing as Li-Ming and my game froze and crashed 3:35 into the game. It took a while to get back to windows then reboot battle.net and log in, so I got back in at the end but I still got MVP.

Anyway that was weird because it never crashed before.

Getting back into HoTS again, mainly because of the Overwatch rewards. Planning on doing some unranked matches to warm up. Who is everyone banning nowadays? It looks like Varian is banned 99% of the time.

patchday

Getting back into HoTS again, mainly because of the Overwatch rewards. Planning on doing some unranked matches to warm up. Who is everyone banning nowadays? It looks like Varian is banned 99% of the time.

Yeah I tried to pick Samuro and my own teammate banned him even though I had 2nd pick. Even more sad, this teammate was a part of an organized group. my neighbor knew this guy. couldnt wait to get away and start my own genji rush team and it worked out so great

People are so angry in quick match. It's just for fun

Yep. my story above is from QM (or rather unranked). It's like u got nothing to lose but some gold. Guess Hearthstone spoiled me hard. When I put on my tryhard pants in HS I can get on the ladder and play alone. I dont have to be bothered with pricks that cant take a single loss even though they won't lose a single rank point

It's okay I love coop and soloQ. I can ignore randoms :D

scoobs

People banning Varian because they don't know how to play him. He's actually a pretty middling hero and not remotely OP in any way.

Good Bans: Samuro, Kerrigan, Malfurion, Brightwing, ETC, Muradin, Tychus, Zarya.

scoobs

Tychus is absolutely insane now. They reworked him and he slays everything.

Chromie is the worst fucking cancer I've ever seen in my life. I'm talking worse than colon cancer. I truly believe whoever designed her should be fired and banned from making video games ever again.

Alur

6-3 in placements.

Tomorrow I finish and find out if Blizz still thinks I'm Diamond 3, or if the reset actually hurts your MMR to some degree. It definitely has hurt Milly's since he had to climb out of a self-made MMR pit and was just on the cusp of rank one after he goofed around prior to seasons starting, and that second reset knocked him down from Diamond 3 last season.

EDIT: For some tangential moba talk...

Played a bit of League in bot/AI mode off and on for a bit now. I watch the LCS and Worlds and stuff, yadda yadda. Always been intimidated by the player base and the learning curve of this and Dota, which is the main reason I play HOTS. Some GAFer said something about Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, which is basically League for iPad and I've been playing it a bit the past few days. It made me want to play the real thing and see how I'd do against real people.

So I fired her up, found the easiest free rotation ranged champion I could and googled what lane they were supposed to go to. Hopped in the lobby and called "mid" and picked Ezrael and off I went.

bf9agaQ.png

29/1/10 is pretty good right?

HOTS is an easier game, for sure, but at the newest/noobiest level, I guess you do learn a thing or two no matter what moba you play and I clearly had a bit of an advantage. That amuses me to no end after all the shit talked over the past two years or so.

That was probably the most fun 40 minutes of ass-kicking I've had in any game ever. I don't know that I will ever play the game again. How can you top that? To beat it all, there wasn't even any toxicity. Not from the other team, nor my team. There was some dumbass on our team who fed early and tried to surrender 3 times because he was mad, but everyone denied it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Chromie is the worst fucking cancer I've ever seen in my life. I'm talking worse than colon cancer. I truly believe whoever designed her should be fired and banned from making video games ever again.
No, they should be hit with a sand blast from out of the fog of war.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I feel like I read a post recently on reddit..? that mentioned how purposely tanking your mmr/placements actually makes the climb easier relative to how many games you'll have to play to climb.

I guess I'm interested in where S3 will land me too since my climb this season went plat 5->GM but will probably end at like D1/2 the way things are going. The climb out of diamond was insanely long though, something like 80 games. Had I not retired this year I don't think I'd ever have the time to do it.

Alur

I've never tried to climb (minus doing it in preseason. Main account went from about 1800ish rank 20 something to 2800 rank 1). I just get my rewards and GTFO. Proto climbed from D3 to GM early in the first season. Not sure where he finished, though. It's just not for me I guess. I'd rather just play what I want in QM or without the pressure in unranked.

Plus when we play there's usually at least 3 of us which makes things difficult.

scoobs

Hero League is too toxic, I'd rather get yelled at by my teammates in QM and Unranked than grind HL where peoples' precious ranking is on the line.

Jesus, sounds like my teammates tonight :)

Tychus is so strong, considering him as my next master skin

Yup

Even worse is that it was at diamond 2 HL. Like how do these people get at that level. Luckily my buddy(bw) and tank(arthas) pixked up the slack heavily. It was garden of terror too...at one point I was holding off the terror from my core(it was only me alive against their terror and rehgar) because he knew I would shred the fuck outta him.

Combined with the 20 talent rjat gives me 3 dashes, and the 1 talent that increases range/ms of it, I could realistically kite them all day. It saved me a bunch too, I was able to kite away from their ETC like a boss. So good.

I should...share that replay..

Alur

Hero League is too toxic, I'd rather get yelled at by my teammates in QM and Unranked than grind HL where peoples' precious ranking is on the line.

Agreed. I also worry about my own precious rank.

Really, though, like you I kind of get stuck on a hero and just want to play only that hero. I used to chase master skins a bit like you do, but now I just play the hero. Recently it's went Zarya > Samuro > Chen for me. I do kinda want the Zarya master just cause she has the Kid Vid VR goggles on.

My first three masters were Valla > Zeeb > Tychus back in Alpha. Good times.

looking for friends to unlock the Oni Genji skin. Please pm me.

Hop in chat in game and type

/join nexuschallenge

groups forming up in there constantly. Well, maybe not now cause it's like 2 AM, but definitely during regular hours. Just join one of those groups and friend em up and get to it. Should be able to knock it out quick and then remove em from your friends list.

Swhalen

Agreed. I also worry about my own precious rank.

Really, though, like you I kind of get stuck on a hero and just want to play only that hero. I used to chase master skins a bit like you do, but now I just play the hero. Recently it's went Zarya > Samuro > Chen for me. I do kinda want the Zarya master just cause she has the Kid Vid VR goggles on.

My first three masters were Valla > Zeeb > Tychus back in Alpha. Good times.

Hop in chat in game and type

/join nexuschallenge

groups forming up in there constantly. Well, maybe not now cause it's like 2 AM, but definitely during regular hours. Just join one of those groups and friend em up and get to it. Should be able to knock it out quick and then remove em from your friends list.

Oh really!? Thanks man.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The toxic thing never made sense to me since you can just ignore or turn chat off completely. Chat is definitely not required to climb in this game. Also, while I've never played LoL, last week I found out there was like a specific employee of Riot that had a forum/twitter where he just posted players' chat logs for why they were banned. I have never seen anything remotely close to what those LoL people type in any mode of this game. The most I see in this game is people type in all caps things like GROUP UP or PLEASE LISTEN and then two or three players get in a little teenager spat..no one is telling people to kill themselves lol.

Either way, I don't think HL is any worse on that front..I'd even say it's better if it's plat or above.

scoobs

The toxic thing never made sense to me since you can just ignore or turn chat off completely. Chat is definitely not required to climb in this game. Also, while I've never played LoL, last week I found out there was like a specific employee of Riot that had a forum/twitter where he just posted players' chat logs for why they were banned. I have never seen anything remotely close to what those LoL people type in any mode of this game. The most I see in this game is people type in all caps things like GROUP UP or PLEASE LISTEN and then two or three players get in a little teenager spat..no one is telling people to kill themselves lol.

Either way, I don't think HL is any worse on that front..I'd even say it's better if it's plat or above.
Link to that twitter account? I love reading those.

And ya you COULD mute chat, but i don't want to have to constantly be turning it on/off when I feel like chatting. I'd also say that "climbing" isn't all that appealing to me anymore. I enjoy doing my placements and seeing where it puts me every season, and then I'm pretty much done. I don't feel like there's any motivation to climb the ladder. Oh cool I get a mount with a few more spikes on it... neat. I'd much rather play whatever hero I want in QM, or screw around w/ friends in unranked.

I could see a scenario where Team League w/ 2's and 3's could be something I'd enjoy doing a lot though. Playing competitively with friends is a more enjoyable experience. Solo queue competitive is just not fun IMO

Not having voice chat cuts down on half off the toxicity people can hurl in-game. In Dota I was learning how to swear in Spanish and Russian because that's what people were screaming over their mics.

I'm an expert

Yeah I'm not advocating climbing or anything, I'm just saying I think qm or unranked has just as many people willing to talk shit in chat as ranked. I'm sure that bronze-plat though is not a fun time since it's the most frustrating, so people are more on edge there. For me it's just..who cares.

No joke Glaurung was just in a Braxis game where he played an off-build Li Ming and someone in the chat was like "shit ming going terrible build gg" and he just glosses over it and keeps playing. That's basically what I do..read it, tilt my head, keep playing. I realize there are other people who may react like mewn though lol.

Link to that twitter account? I love reading those.

And ya you COULD mute chat, but i don't want to have to constantly be turning it on/off when I feel like chatting. I'd also say that "climbing" isn't all that appealing to me anymore. I enjoy doing my placements and seeing where it puts me every season, and then I'm pretty much done. I don't feel like there's any motivation to climb the ladder. I'd much rather play whatever hero I want in QM, or screw around w/ friends in unranked.

Apparently he quit maybe a year ago? Here's his sub. The first 5-10 are pretty awesome:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LyteSmites/

For example:
[4:47] Yuuhi: told you youre autistic ass will feed her
[13:47] Yuuhi: no flash tf
[19:02] Yuuhi: why would you walk back in are you fucking autsitic
[19:09] Yuuhi: god im so fucking done
[19:28] Yuuhi: told you this shit would happen to why the fuck would you leave fiora open then picks igned
[20:49] Yuuhi: im done fuck you guys are fucking autistic

----

[24:26] Str Power Dx: THEY ALREADY GOT IT
[24:29] Str Power Dx: FUCK OFF
[24:34] Str Power Dx: fucktard
[24:41] Str Power Dx: dumb piece of shit
[24:58] Str Power Dx: retard
[25:48] Str Power Dx: shut up
[25:48] Str Power Dx: go afk
[25:52] Str Power Dx: peice of shit
[26:07] Str Power Dx: go fuck ur mom
[26:09] Str Power Dx: dumb piece of shit
[26:12] Str Power Dx: incest retard
[26:19] Str Power Dx: dumbass
[26:22] Str Power Dx: illiterate fuck
[26:30] Str Power Dx: go fuck urself
[26:51] Str Power Dx: dumbass
[27:01] Str Power Dx: fuck this kid

Like I have seriously never seen anything like this in hots. If anything what I see the most is people saying "muted" or "ignored" or threatening to report someone. Like people seem to nip it in the bud pretty quickly in this game. The post above about LoL makes me want to try it too..or maybe Dota2. Dota2 apparently has a bit more action than LoL so that might be better. I don't want to spend 20 minutes laning..wtf..

scoobs

Lol wow @ that 2nd one. Has anyone ever done a study on why MOBAs bring out the absolute worst in people? Its pretty insane how MAD people get while playing these games. Mad isn't even the right word, its blind fury.

I'm an expert

I was going to respond to the poster above on this page about why people get annoyed in qm but figured, like our convo now, that most people just react differently to this stuff so it's hard to have an exact reason.

The gist of my post was basically going to be that since this is a team game, even 1 person going into a game just "kicking back and relaxing" or "fucking around" puts a really unfair burden on the other players. Those players are just expecting a normal game, but if someone is playing totally recklessly or without basic game knowledge, it turns the game into something so different that sometimes the outcome is decided pretty much the second the game starts.

And that sucks for the person who has to sit through 12-18 minutes of knowing he never had a chance in the first place because he got matched with someone like that. I've certainly experienced having a shit draft or someone dodging or someone just not knowing how to rotate on a map. It irks you..though not as much as the people above lol.

I think now that there are more modes and things like brawl, the playerbase is split enough that there probably aren't enough "good" players to populate qm enough. Also, until I did this nexus challenge thing, I had no idea how many people play AI matches. Like..there are people out there who literally do nothing in this game but play AI. I don't even understand it. It's a pvp game. Apparently AI games count for the real daily quests too. I had no effing clue.

If you haven't seen chat like that in HotS, you just haven't been playing with enough randoms. Cos that happens.

Another thing that helps cut down the toxicity in HotS is the lack of cross-team chat. That cuts down on 50% of the shit-talking. Instead people just try to add you after the match to whisper an insult and block you so you can't respond. Kinda like WoW pvp in that regard.

wolf + Dunktrain is the best casting duo ive heard in HOTS so far

Wolf takes charge calling play by play and doing hype, and Dunktrain never tries to talk over him. Then Dunk explains what happened and passes it back. Also dunk is a really good speaker and makes concise points without fumbling over his words. together the two of them don't do too much over-talking, and there is no awkward turn-taking leading to stupid filler comments. Wolf is the caster, Dunk is the analyst and it's great

I'm an expert

As a former hardcore/glad wow pvper..this game is like a children's game compared to that world lol. I wouldn't wish that world on anyone. Trolling bg chat is like a national sport.

I think I've only had maybe 2-3 people pm me after a game in hots and even if it wasn't to exchange pleasantries, it wasn't to tell me to kill myself haha. Like I said, mmr is probably a decent filter for this stuff - higher being better.

Won

Since there is nothing else on I tuned in to the GCWC and I just have to ask: What's up with the casters standing/standing in front of a table that's below their waist line? Who or what are they imitating here? I already noticed this at Blizzcon I think. It sticks out and looks silly.

Since there is nothing else on I tuned in to the GCWC and I just have to ask: What's up with the casters standing/standing in front of a table that's below their waist line? Who or what are they imitating here? I already noticed this at Blizzcon I think. It sticks out and looks silly.
Chinese are considerably smaller than Americans on average. The table is waist height for the Chinese casters.

Dig 1-0 against Ballistix

Team Liquid fails to qualify again. I'm most impressed that they haven't left the scene months ago. The team is a dumpster fire, removing cris was the player's decision even.

Ketch

Looking at vain glory reviews on the AppStore is pretty funny. Bad matchmaking 1 star, every moba community is the same.

Ketch

wolf + Dunktrain is the best casting duo ive heard in HOTS so far

Wolf takes charge calling play by play and doing hype, and Dunktrain never tries to talk over him. Then Dunk explains what happened and passes it back. Also dunk is a really good speaker and makes concise points without fumbling over his words. together the two of them don't do too much over-talking, and there is no awkward turn-taking leading to stupid filler comments. Wolf is the caster, Dunk is the analyst and it's great

What game did they cast, do you have a link?

Alur

I'm sure that bronze-plat though is not a fun time since it's the most frustrating, so people are more on edge there. For me it's just..who cares.

Yes. Bronze/Silver/Gold are definitely far more toxic. I have four accounts I play. My main and three smurfs. All were made for various reasons over the past two and a half years, but the only one not in Diamond in HL was my main because we didn't understand draft and matchmaking was pretty poopy because you could run full 5 man groups when HL first released.

Climbing out of Silver to get to Diamond on that account was like torture. If it's not people shit talking like the chat logs you linked, it was people disconnecting or just staying in their lane for 20 minutes like they were playing league. I legit don't understand how anyone plays the game below Platinum level. Those people who do must truly love this game to put up with how regularly that stuff happens.

The post above about LoL makes me want to try it too..or maybe Dota2. Dota2 apparently has a bit more action than LoL so that might be better. I don't want to spend 20 minutes laning..wtf..

The laning for 20 minutes thing is definitely for real.

I had a bunch of kills though, and they kept coming to shut me down and feeding me more kills, so I had plenty to do. That's probably how it is at that low level I guess. People just wandering around not knowing WTF to do and looking for vengeance, same as HOTS. It's kind of reflected in the post game stats where I had way more CS or whatever it's called than everyone but the opposing Ezrael and therefore way more gold.

That champ I played (Ezrael) has some pretty good range and has a built in blink like Li-Ming (that also does damage ROFL) so it was pretty easy to snipe people who don't know how to dodge skillshots. I'm sure I'd probably feed 15 times in a Diamond level game as the skill level is so much higher than Diamond level HOTS.

If you haven't seen chat like that in HotS, you just haven't been playing with enough randoms. Cos that happens.

I still see it once a week or so in Diamond. We'll get matched with one lower MMR or higher MMR player (say he's Gold or she's Master level) and either that person will get toxic cause the game is played differently than they are used to, or someone will get toxic with them for playing differently.

MOBA lyfe. No one likes anyone and can't wait for an excuse to tell them why they suck.

Looking at vain glory reviews on the AppStore is pretty funny. Bad matchmaking 1 star, every moba community is the same.

Have you played Vainglory, Ketch? It's pretty good. Games take a bit longer now than they did back when I was playing it more, but it looks great visually and the heroes are pretty neat. Kind of like bite sized HOTS meets League. One lane, but it does have items though it's massively pared down.

Mobile Legends: Bang Bang is like a tit-for-tat League copy pared to about 8-12 minute games. There's items, but you can set up what build you want to go for before the game and it lets you buy them in the field Dota 2 style. There's a ranked mode, a casual mode, and a brawl mode. Visually it's League made over.

Mobile MOBAs are surprisingly healthy/fun compared to what you'd expect.

brian!

yah staying in lane is pretty indicative of lower level play in leeg, i found that a lot of stuff in league translated over to hots really well, just in a way more condensed fashion

well any moba should translate well to a certain extent since all mobas are about maximizing exploitation of resources

Alur

yah staying in lane is pretty indicative of lower level play in leeg, i found that a lot of stuff in league translated over to hots really well, just in a way more condensed fashion

What do you mean? Staying in lane is indicative, or not staying in lane? Cause these dudes were not staying in lane. They would come stand with two or three of them in mid lane and try to gank me and mill around while I chipped em down with my Q. Was comical.

brian!

staying in lane, esp. with a turret down. like in general, in hots too, there is a lot of wasted time spent doing nothing and in higher lvl play being proactive is really important. but ofc there are also ppl who wander around getting nothing done and wasting time so there's that too lol.

league is a lot more "do my job in this part of the map" style than hots though, but has it's own way of affecting the global map so you still can't really shift blame on ppl for "losing a lane" or whatever, so watching a game deteriorate in the laning phase is usually indicative of lower lvl play. same in hots, if you see that someone has died twice in a row on ur team it necessitates something from the team, and ensuing snowball is usually on the team playing the situation wrong

only reason to stay in lane in both games is to draw pressure, but in hots it's usually always best to apply pressure instead of baiting it to you since it's so easy/important to soak exp in this game. league has a whole slew of stuff that hots doesnt have though like vision control, etc. and is a lot more about manipulating enemy rotations than hots which always has a dinner bell style objective that alerts ppl to wake up and choose the objective or exp., in league ppl will stay in lane and realize oh i didnt do anything this game and our team is 5k behind in gold

Alur

Ah yeah, later on after they got mid turret down while we pushing the second turret top they had an Ashe who just hung in lane to get killed two different times.

scoobs

Holy shit Butcher is the ultimate counter to Chromie, and now I'm only playing Butcher for the rest of my life. God that felt good. Chaining that little gnome to the ground and smashing her to bits over and over. FRESH MEAT

I'm ready for another round, I frickin love Chromie. After Zarya the best hero released all year. Super rewarding to play and hitting a W > E super satisfying. I suck with Past is future Self or whatever the lvl 19 talent is called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom