• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Started playing this for that Oni Genji skin, but it's actually a pretty fun game. So far I've only played with bots with my friends because I'm afraid to play with actual people. Is the community as bad as Dota?

That's cool to hear! Welcome aboard!

No, definitely not that bad. Not even close. But it is an online game. You'll run into some salty people sooner or later. HOTS allows you to mute the chat entirely, however, so if you're concern is people just constantly bitching at you, you can turn that off.

I wouldn't worry too much about performing well or not if you do halfway decent in other online games. You'll begin at starting MMR and the players you play with to start are either only as good as a brand new player, or brand new players themselves. If I was guessing, you'll probably find that you outclass your peers pretty quickly. Just hop in and give it a go. Have fun, Pay attention to the objectives and soak your lanes (kill the minions in them) when you have a chance and you'll be well on your way.

Zackat

Started playing this for that Oni Genji skin, but it's actually a pretty fun game. So far I've only played with bots with my friends because I'm afraid to play with actual people. Is the community as bad as Dota?
Not even comparable. There are shitheads but they are few and far between, especially in non competitive game modes. Play some quick match to stretch your legs.

That's cool to hear! Welcome aboard!

No, definitely not that bad. Not even close. But it is an online game. You'll run into some salty people sooner or later. HOTS allows you to mute the chat entirely, however, so if you're concern is people just constantly bitching at you, you can turn that off.

I wouldn't worry too much about performing well or not if you do halfway decent in other online games. You'll begin at starting MMR and the players you play with to start are either only as good as a brand new player, or brand new players themselves. If I was guessing, you'll probably find that you outclass your peers pretty quickly. Just hop in and give it a go. Have fun, Pay attention to the objectives and soak your lanes (kill the minions in them) when you have a chance and you'll be well on your way.

Not even comparable. There are shitheads but they are few and far between, especially in non competitive game modes. Play some quick match to stretch your legs.

It's nice to know that you can mute the chat. I feel like I know the few characters I've played as pretty well, but I'm not sure what to expect. Not really a MOBA person, Dota 2 just left a bad taste in my mouth and Smite was okay, but HotS with all of the different heroes and objectives is just so much fun. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Alur

It's nice to know that you can mute the chat. I feel like I know the few characters I've played as pretty well, but I'm not sure what to expect. Not really a MOBA person, Dota 2 just left a bad taste in my mouth and Smite was okay, but HotS with all of the different heroes and objectives is just so much fun. Thanks for the advice, guys.

If you've already dabbled in other mobas I'm sure you'll do well. Most players who come to HOTS don't have prior experience. Mute allied chat is your friend, though, if you need it. You can also just mute the individual. Whichever you prefer.

Maledict

So we have a three hour maintanence on Thursday, what's that about? Is the patch dropping early, so they can launch the new season smoothly?

Alavard

I know it's been in the game for a bit, but mmm, I love the buffed Earthquake.

The enemy team had a strange comp with only 1 melee (Muradin), so I was able to just walk into their backline a few times and let an Earthquake loose. After that ultimate being so under used for so long, it felt hilarious to see in chat "hey Thrall, nice eq!".

I haven't been playing much lately, and am trying to get back into playing more now so that kinda made my night.

Alur

At this point I know you're trolling. We knew he was on PTR for a week first. You don't like 30 minute queues to try him out? :D

brian!

Insomnia is either already qualified or trying to qualify, i forget what team hes on

Oh i looked him up and he's on gj so he's in already

brian!

He might just be doing it as a favor

There's a good story somewhere w/ erho being just like fuk it ill enter hgc and also field a top 4 team np

Alur

I seriously thought he was coming out the first week of december cause varian came out the first week of november

Once he was announced at Blizzcon it was either immediately leaked or told in an interview that Varian didn't release til Nov 15th IIRC with the Nexus Challenge. He hit PTR for a week too.

Also what about rofl unretiring. Heroes pros really like throwing away their top positions only to start again from the bottom.

They sure do. Maybe he's just doing it on a lark hoping he can stay enrolled plus get that money.

brian!

I think that was the plan for that one eu guy who unretired, he found out it was an internet tourney instead of lan so he was like cool free money

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Still don't see her as a viable pick outside of chu teams lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did they change pathing to make bodyblocking more effective? An Illidan flipped over my head to stand in my way in a huge open space and I clicked on the other side of him a few times and my hero just pressed directly into him until I explicitly commanded to go sideways to get around. Maybe till now I just avoided being bodyblocked enough to not notice it has different dynamics from walls.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well this kind of change seems meant to address things like pick and win rate, not really a more fun to play change like some of their other updates. I'd guess the qm crowd wasn't the target of this one.

Did they change pathing to make bodyblocking more effective? An Illidan flipped over my head to stand in my way in a huge open space and I clicked on the other side of him a few times and my hero just pressed directly into him until I explicitly commanded to go sideways to get around. Maybe till now I just avoided being bodyblocked enough to not notice it has different dynamics from walls.

Pathing has been awful for months.

I'm an expert

Yeah it really has. Probably my most wanted thing they look at besides the auto attack cancelling inputs thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom