• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hold the Temples was my favorite, although the Blackheart one got good once everyone learned how it works.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
only one worse than nova is hammer one. pirates was the perfect length for a single round one. i'd probably pick temple as best balance of length and hero variety. but honestly i still just want a 5v5 draft arena.

Alavard

The one weird part about the Nova one is that you can pick talents, especially given how many of them are actually useless in that mode.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
if the ults were also one hit kill i think id like it a lot more. would speed the second half up enough.

I'm an expert

i have never not gotten to ults..my average game is like 7-9 mins. how do you not get to ults O_O

Brakke

Banned
Nova brawl was funny because sometimes teams would try and play "smart" and go soak in lane and go cautious or whatever, but sometimes it'd be 5v5 in the middle, people taking a shot whenever they had one, retribution be damned.

I actually think the "Nova chains" in the brawl are funny. One person snipes, and then they get sniped, only to get sniped, and then that Nova tries to run and then gets sniped. This brawl made me realize how bad I am at snipe skill shotting though.

Xeteh

Played QM as Sylvanas and our team had a decent composition so I was focusing on pushing lanes instead of fighting for warheads.

Johanna: syl we need you for team fights
kk, I'll rotate for them.

Johanna: you really should have taken the silence arrow ult
Me: I really prefer Mind Control
Johanna: silence is better
Me: K, you can pick it when you play Syl

At this point I was #1 in siege and hero damage.

We keep winning team fights, we got a lot of pick offs with mind control.

While we're attacking their core I decide I can be the dick.

Me: Any other advice, Johanna?
Johanna: pick the right fucking ult next time and this goes quicker. there's your advice

Post game screens:

2Yue3FJ.jpg

RXZX4Rl.jpg
Felt good, two people on the team were defending me and Chen mocked Johanna for being the only one not on the voting screen. Good times.

scoobs

lmao nice, i love trolling the toxic turds. One of my all-time favorite things to do. Nothing better than shutting them the hell up w/ your excellent play, and then coming at them with full force after the game is well in-hand.

Dice

2-3 games from getting Hammer to lvl9.

They should make a holiday skin for her where she's an elf driving a toy tank because she's so small compared to the other characters since the tank is sized to match them, not her inside the tank.

lmao nice, i love trolling the toxic turds. One of my all-time favorite things to do. Nothing better than shutting them the hell up w/ your excellent play, and then coming at them with full force after the game is well in-hand.

An even better thing happened to me. With my friend we were Trolled by a group of 2 in HL that were on my team, calling us idiots and all the shit you usually see with these kind of guys. Eventually we won and i dare to say they were the two that dragged us down in teamfight with bad positionning and greediness XXL.

So the next HL game launch and oh surprised the two toxic people where on the opposing team. Needless to say it was a joy to punish them for their awful positionning and to rolfstomp them i felt sorry for their team.

scoobs

An even better thing happened to me. With my friend we were Trolled by a group of 2 in HL that were on my team, calling us idiots and all the shit you usually see with these kind of guys. Eventually we won and i dare to say they were the two that dragged us down in teamfight with bad positionning and greediness XXL.

So the next HL game launch and oh surprised the two toxic people where on the opposing team. Needless to say it was a joy to punish them for their awful positionning and to rolfstomp them i felt sorry for their team.

haha that was pretty satisfying I'm sure. Thats happened to me a couple of times and it definitely makes me play better knowing who I'm playing against.

Dice

I think Rexxar is perfectly balanced. Everything he does make sense, carves out a clear role, scales properly, stacks up to other heroes right, and has enough wiggle to adjust for comp and map. I took a long break from the game right as he came out; was he ever OP then nerfed like so many others?

brian!

+ ppl are starting to get around to the idea that he can do work on other maps, he was good on dshire and spiders before but now hes starting to get played on boe too

Dreavus

I wasn't expecting to like the Nova brawl at all, but it turned out to be one of my favourites. It turns the game into a minigame of it's own and there's a decent amount of strategy. Using your clones to scout or block, camping out at a shrine waiting for someone else to try and cap, taking the first shot which exposes you – then getting the hell out of there. It's like a mini assassin's creed. Generally a pretty quick game too. I had a ton of fun with that one.

Dice

I wasn't expecting to like the Nova brawl at all, but it turned out to be one of my favourites. It turns the game into a minigame of it's own and there's a decent amount of strategy. Using your clones to scout or block, camping out at a shrine waiting for someone else to try and cap, taking the first shot which exposes you – then getting the hell out of there. It's like a mini assassin's creed. Generally a pretty quick game too. I had a ton of fun with that one.
You forgot "Watch 3 of your teammates get killed 8 times and lose the match for you"

Alur

Milly will probably fall over dead as he reads this, but the Nova brawl is actually alright.

It's quick, some funny stuff happens, and if you pay enough attention you can make some big plays. That's more or less what a brawl should be to me. I had one game last night where a dude on our team got 14 killing blows. He was truly the #1 PK hero. We won very quickly thanks to him.

The Hammer brawl was the worst for me. It was basically a normal game, but with all-Hammer's hopped up on Red Bull. I'd put the Blackheart's Revenge one as the second worst. The idea was good, IMO, but the advantage of defending the ship was a little too strong. If you got the right team comp you couldn't be beat, and it was already hard to be beat. On the other hand, the enemy had to be way smarter or get the right team comp to win.

I loved the pick 3 arena brawls (Punisher/Sky Temple). The ARAM brawl was okay, but I've never liked The Lost Caverns since it's been implemented. Always thought ARAM was more fun when we just played it on normal maps, and wish they'd work up another map or two to use for that mode.

Maledict

Yep, not having talents really cripples those brawls for me. The game, and multiple heroes, is too reliant on talents to strip them out of most brawls.

Nova one is my favourite as well, which is exactly the opposite of what I thought it would be. It adds a completely new gameplay element to heroes, it's really fun, and you can see the difference between a good and bad player very easily. I also love the hide and seek aspect to it -hiding next too and behind walls is great fun and no-one expects it. Ironically, this is the one brawl where you could remove talents!

Hammer was the worse one for me. Utterly abominable mass of unfun, and a complete failure on every level. Never again, please. The 'heroes select' brawls would have been better with talents. The pirate map one was simply not balanced enough - I appreciate you won't get the level of balance a normal map has, but that one felt really, really lopsided.

Biggest disappointment was actually the ARAM mode. Having zero composition rules beyond matching supports actually meant it was less fun than a normal custom game ARAM. I had really been looking forward to that mode and it didn't pan out at all well.

Alur

I keep forgetting there was even an aram brawl

That's how blah it was.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/13...dustin-browder-alan-dabiri-interview-blizzard

Dustin Browder's stepped away from Heroes, Alan Dabiri is now game director. Considering the awesome stuff we've gotten in the past few months, the game is in good hands :)

Had a feeling this was coming when he all but disappeared, then said he was back, but was basically silent afterward.

Kudos to him. He took this game a long way and he was a great face for the company to the community. Hope he's going to do what he wants and it wasn't a forced thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting Ben Brode also just got promoted to Director for Hearthstone, something big is brewing at Blizzard.

I wonder if the new First Person game is actually in the StarCraft brand.

I realize that Allan Adham is starting a bunch of new games, but I don't imagine both Eric Dodds and Dustin Browder are directing the same title.

That's how blah it was.

Had a feeling this was coming when he all but disappeared, then said he was back, but was basically silent afterward.

Kudos to him. He took this game a long way and he was a great face for the company to the community. Hope he's going to do what he wants and it wasn't a forced thing.
They brought back one of Blizzard's co-founders to basically start up a whole bunch of new products, so I imagine they're pulling the directors from existing successful games.

Kalgan left WoW to a new project, Eric Dodds is out on Hearthstone, and now Dustin Browder.

kirblar

Browder's been great. Game's clearly a team effort - I can't see them going off the rails at this point.

Very curious what else they have brewing and where he's going next- the FPS and D4 clearly both in the works.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Browder's been great. Game's clearly a team effort - I can't see them going off the rails at this point.

Very curious what else they have brewing and where he's going next- the FPS and D4 clearly both in the works.

I'm honestly thinking it might be a StarCraft themed FPS. I'm pretty sure Kalgan is the one on Diablo 4.

I'm honestly thinking it might be a StarCraft themed FPS. I'm pretty sure Kalgan is the one on Diablo 4.

Shit

Put it in the vein of Warhammer 40k with scifi horror

It can work.

I fully expect a teaser by next E3. Probably Sonys conference. Fullblown reveal by Blizzcon.

Alur

We still have no idea what that "LOOT" tab was about, right?

Nope, no official word or leak yet. Would be shocked if it's not some form of loot crates, though. Nothing else really makes sense and League already has something similar along with a similar shop setup to HOTS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Single-player focus, I'd have to assume.
With modern Blizzard? I'd guess a Battlefield type game or some kind of loot game. There's room to run a stylistically different type of multiplayer FPS similar to how Valve has Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.

Alavard

Nope, no official word or leak yet. Would be shocked if it's not some form of loot crates, though. Nothing else really makes sense and League already has something similar along with a similar shop setup to HOTS.

I predict it launches alongside the progression update. New level-up rewards will include currency to use in the loot shop, whether it be the same gold we use now, or a separate currency specifically for the loot shop/boxes.

Kioshen

Nova one is my favourite as well, which is exactly the opposite of what I thought it would be. It adds a completely new gameplay element to heroes, it's really fun, and you can see the difference between a good and bad player very easily. I also love the hide and seek aspect to it -hiding next too and behind walls is great fun and no-one expects it. Ironically, this is the one brawl where you could remove talents!

Biggest disappointment was actually the ARAM mode. Having zero composition rules beyond matching supports actually meant it was less fun than a normal custom game ARAM. I had really been looking forward to that mode and it didn't pan out at all well.

That's probably why I didn't like it one bit. Squinting my eyes for shimmers on a map is not my idea of fun at all. I had high hopes for ARAM as well. I played it quite a bit but the non enforced tank support rules did reduce the enjoyment i had out of it but I still like it quite a bit. The only close second I had was with the punishers and egypt capture points.

Dice

With modern Blizzard? I'd guess a Battlefield type game or some kind of loot game. There's room to run a stylistically different type of multiplayer FPS similar to how Valve has Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.
That's what I imagine. StarCraft ala Borderlands. There is soooo much potential in the universe with all the kinds of enemies and battles and lots of opportunity for some DLC system to which they have obviously taken a liking. Even something like Battlefield would be creeping in on Overwatch turf a bit, but a co-op tactical against large waves of enemies with occasional special enemies would suit the universe so well and is also removed enough from real MMO to be standing in the way of WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom