• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altairre

Never had the chance to play with you (probably because you're way better than me xD) but that sounds like the best reason to stop playing a videogame to me. I'm rooting for ya!

Alur

Anyone willing to summarize everything that's changed with the game since May? Wanting to jump back in. Thx!

Someone else can do it better, but a few things:

New hero each month, of course. Ragnaros, Varian, Samuro, Zarya, Alarak, Auriel, Medivh, Gul'dan are the ones since May.

Two new maps that are Starcraft related (Braxxis Holdout and Warhead Junction).

Brawl mode is in, which is basically a reworked version of the Arena mode we saw at 2015 Blizzcon.

Hero League/Team League have seasons, now. We're in season 3. Team League is the spot you go to for playing in groups now (even 2/3 mans). Hero League has just been changed to solo queue only.

Mount speed was reduced in order to make rotations/etc more meaningful. Global abilities (Falstad's flight) also just recently got nerfed to compensate for that.

Concept17

Someone else can do it better, but a few things:

New hero each month, of course. Ragnaros, Varian, Samuro, Zarya, Alarak, Auriel, Medivh, Gul'dan are the ones since May.

Two new maps that are Starcraft related (Braxxis Holdout and Warhead Junction).

Brawl mode is in, which is basically a reworked version of the Arena mode we saw at 2015 Blizzcon.

Hero League/Team League have seasons, now. We're in season 3. Team League is the spot you go to for playing in groups now (even 2/3 mans). Hero League has just been changed to solo queue only.

Mount speed was reduced in order to make rotations/etc more meaningful. Global abilities (Falstad's flight) also just recently got nerfed to compensate for that.

Awesome, thanks.

Happy to hear about more Starcraft maps, and all them heroes. Reduced mount speed doesn't bring it anywhere close to LoL levels of speed on rotations I hope?

kirblar

Awesome, thanks.

Happy to hear about more Starcraft maps, and all them heroes. Reduced mount speed doesn't bring it anywhere close to LoL levels of speed on rotations I hope?
Nope not at all, people didn't even notice in the floor builds till the stream pointed it out.

kirblar

I have not seen a post complaining about the HL/TL changes hit the front page of the subreddit so far. (aside from WTF queue times d1 for 2p groups) This bodes well.

Milly79

Er, yeah. That wasn't shit talk. If anyone was shit talking it was me, but it was kinda true. Scoobs likes everything no one else really does.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
tfw you knock down one of their inner forts and call lava wave then start molten core as the lava wave hits their whole team and you just destroy everyone

Altairre

So which of the new heroes are the ones to get right now, apart from Zarya and Auriel because Imma knock out a bunch of AI games with a friend to get those. Samuro seems pretty appealing to me on paper since I like mobile assassins but I read he was nerfed recently?

Oh and what's the likelihood that there will be a sale in the near future cause I got a bunch of money on my account and I'm definitely not spending it on Overwatch boxes.

Milly79

Here's what I think happens to Rag nerf wise:

Q talents are gonna get hit, and hard. Q quest up, Q heal down, Q heal at 13 down, Q reduction at 7 up.

Lava Wave untouched.

Base health down.

Catching Fire at 4 goes up.

I've only done 4 placement matches so far in it, but I'm loving the switch to solo HL queue. I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage by solo queuing, and TL is now more flexible with friends.

Alur

That backhanded compliment to Yoshichan. So cold.

EDIT: have to say it's been a while since the heroes I like to play/am good at and/or our group was good at were strong and we won so much.

We won 60%+ or so during Zarya's release but it wasn't quite the same. High winrate with Sammy too. Having the variety of options is nice.

I've now played 10ish games as not Rag to go with about 20 games as Rag. He's no doubt OP but he hasn't felt oppressive against me excepting when he's in defense mode. In regular fights I feel he's ok.

And again I will state from experience, the hammer ult is legit. Milly had some nice success with it and I've had it used against my team devastatingly. If they hit wave too hard he's still gonna be good.

Alur

I've been least impressed with/had the least success with the E build. Just seems tacked on in comparison to the other two, which are definitely very strong. Takes so long in the game to get that E build going.

scoobs

I just got the "Scrapper" award post-game. I did 60% of my team's "teamfight damage."

I've never seen it before, because no team exists that is more incompetent than the one KillerMuffin & I were on.

Holy shit we had a Zarya do 20,000 hero damage in a 31 minute game. Dude was just walking between lanes clearing waves... as Zarya.

I just got the "Scrapper" award post-game. I did 60% of my team's "teamfight damage."

I've never seen it before, because no team exists that is more incompetent than the one KillerMuffin & I were on.

Holy shit we had a Zarya do 20,000 hero damage in a 31 minute game.

My favorite was our Li-Ming that acted like she was a melee assassin. Little ol' me is just trying to learn Ragnaros and we get paired up with those peeps.

scoobs

I did enjoy how, without fail, she would run out of the gate to get stunned by the punisher so we couldnt pull it behind the wall to kill.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Since he has abilities that can hit all minions at once, it's much easier to do Rag's E quest than Azmodan's Taste for Blood. Even with the 2 second leeway you have to be paired with a Jaina or something for that one.

scoobs

Just think it does too much damage. Bring it down a little, and like I said the other day, nerf all damage in Molten Core form. Probably fine after that

scoobs

Worth noting that Heroic Difficulty increases the damage of ALL of his abilities by 50% (including Lava Wave), Molten Core cooldown is 50% shorter, and it lasts 50% longer. I'll let you ponder the possibilities here... perhaps give it a try. The value you get out of this talent is just nuts... the biggest power spike in the entire game by a country mile

Worth noting that Heroic Difficulty increases the damage of ALL of his abilities by 50% (including Lava Wave), Molten Core cooldown is 50% shorter, and it lasts 50% longer. I'll let you ponder the possibilities here... perhaps give it a try. The value you get out of this talent is just nuts... the biggest power spike in the entire game by a country mile

Counter point: Two lava waves

Alur

I think scoobs is right on Molten Core. It's insanely strong and that's the biggest issue most Ragnaros' I see have, and I'm guilty of it too - being too precious with it and holding on to it. Should really abuse the hell out of it.

Part of the reason you were killing the other so hard damage wise yesterday was because you kept using yours, Milly. The damage piles on pretty strong, and he's better (and safer) dealing damage from there than he is in the middle of the fight. I don't think his in fight damage is all that great sans when they let you get potshots with Q because your other main damage is a 12 second CD.

With that said, re: level 20, I'm still in the two Lava Waves camp. You can defend forever with two of them plus Molten Core. And you can also push hard af with two of them. Heroic Difficulty has a higher winrate in QM at Master/Diamond, and Lava Surge has the higher winrate in HL and TL at Master/Diamond.

seriously fuck this brawl. Ragnaros trait is so stupid on mines, 3 golems in our favour in a row couldn't get down a keep and they had 2 ragnaros to constantly push the map in their favour.

Milly79

I never felt like it actually did anything though. Out of all the times I can't recall me actually securing a kill with it unless I was pushing lava wave down the lane too. The biggest issue I saw was since there was a healer on each side it was pretty easy to heal up from the damage. It's not a ton of burst, at least not the W. the E for sure but it has a delay on it.

Alur

It did a ton of damage.

You can't secure kills with it most of the time because no one is just gonna walk in a straight line for you to kill them, but you are chunking them and almost constantly hitting someone because of how low the CD's are.

I think you're seriously underrating how much of your damage comes from that. It's pretty hard to use just Q and a 12 second W and a shitty E and put up 100k damage. You got some high value Lava Waves, for sure, but not enough to add up to the damage you had in a few of those games like the Sky Temple one, for example.

Milly79

Well I can say I wouldn't care if they touched that part of him. It's fun, but it doesn't last long enough for me to be up in arms about it.

And we'll have to test this 100k theory. I'm aggro as fuck on him with Q build because you have to.

I need to toy around with E build as well. Some swear by it. I'd have to rank it Q, W, E right now. I also think he has some diverse ways of building into multiple specs as well. That may be the way to actually go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom