• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Fancolors

Comebacks are fun but damn does it feel bad when you are on the receiving end. Funny thing about ToD is that 10 points isn't much of a lead when you can get teamwiped and two objs + boss kill it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So when this Hanamura craziness is over, will they replace maps, or just being back the old ones and we have like 12 maps in the rotation?

scoobs

I hope they open up all maps for QM. Makes no sense to have a restricted map pool there, when thats the entire selling point of the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The new map rotation which starts next week was posted on reddit earlier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/6anrtl/new_map_rotation_next_week_aumented_to_8_maps/

No BHB, Dragon Shire or GoT sadly :(

giphy.gif

Alur

No BHB and Garden is a god send. Add in Haunted Mines and you'd have a near perfect map pool outside of Warhead.

Speaking of the map pool, though, my time on my brand new smurf with Overwatch friends and other brand new players has taught me one thing for sure...Towers of Doom is not a map that should've been in this pool for Nexus Challenge. Every game there's 2-3 people on both teams (at least) who don't understand that there is an objective, that it's often active in multiple spots at once, and that you can't directly hit the core like all the other maps sans Hanamura.

It's a fucking nightmare playing this map with new players. Almost every game I've had to explain that you have to right click the altar and channel it. Can't wait til the map pool expands back out again.

Also, 12-2 w/l on Hanamura on my main account. I dig it still.

Alex

I've always loved HotS but coming back to it is... not fun when you want to play ranked with a friend. The current Team League you have to play in with any kind of premade has got to be the worst thing I've ever seen in any game Blizz has released.

2.0 is great but I can't enjoy it like this, back to Overwatch.

scoobs

I've always loved HotS but coming back to it is... not fun when you want to play ranked with a friend. The current Team League you have to play in with any kind of premade has got to be the worst thing I've ever seen in any game Blizz has released.

2.0 is great but I can't enjoy it like this, back to Overwatch.

Damn, someone just got smoked in TL.

Rizzi

Oh, I see Blizzard doesn't understand the "five man premade vs a complete random group" isn't fun in this game either.

Alex

Damn, someone just got smoked in TL.

Nah, I'm 11-3

I've always done pretty well in HL, but in TL the queues are just fucking enormous and the losses I did have were due to people gaming the system entirely (ie, you can queue Diamonds and Bronze together with no restriction to break MM)

It's really awful design.

scoobs

Nah, I'm 11-3

I've always done pretty well in HL, but in TL the queues are just fucking enormous and the losses I did have were due to people gaming the system entirely (ie, you can queue Diamonds and Bronze together with no restriction to break MM)

It's really awful design.

2's queue times are bad, but if you can find a 3rd they are almost instant. HL used to have a restriction on duo queues being within 1 tier of eachother, never understood why that isn't enforced in TL now.

Mokujin

Why are the losing penalties so awful? I only win 180 points but lose 240 points in Solo Ranked.

I hate this...

MMR / ELO, the more you win this will start to balance till adjustments are a lot subtler. In other words the system right now ranks you as being quite a bit higher in ranking than you deserve, but if you keep a good win ratio the system will aknowledge that you deserve it.

Prelude.

It's a fucking nightmare playing this map with new players. Almost every game I've had to explain that you have to right click the altar and channel it. Can't wait til the map pool expands back out again.
I've played a total of 4 matches with a friend that's a new player, and they were all literally unwinnable. I don't know what kind of MMR shenanigans were happening, but they all played the same. The enemy team is a slow, dumb, mostly unaware of the objective, deathball, and the 3 other players in my team just jump into it as soon as they see it and die. The entirety of the matches were just that, people died early for no reason, the objective came up, and we didn't have the numbers to fight. And even when they didn't care about the objective, the exp lead was so massive that even winning the objective didn't matter.

scoobs

Tons of Genji play in HGC Korea today. Haven't seen him actually win but you can already see how insane he's going to be

Kioshen

If I were just armchair coaching, I'd argue that it could be because you don't truly have any go-to pocket pick heroes. Like I'm gonna get on this hero and we're 10% more likely to win just because of it. Whether because of the group or what you bounce around a lot and rarely play more than 2-3 games on a particular hero. Jack of all trades master of none type deal. If you have pocket picks I don't know what they are at any rate.

Alternatively you could just be in the kind of rut we all hit where you can't win reliably and feel like no matter what you play you're getting boxed out. You could also be punching above your weight, or as you say maybe you've just reached the plateau. If it's either of those, I'd go with my first suggestion to correct that. Running the OP hero into the ground or the hero that is OP in your hands is the best way to shake that HOTS malaise.

All that said, not trying so hard wouldn't hurt any of us. As a group we put a lot of pressure on each other to perform even if we don't directly say it all the time. The frustration gets palpable when it's not working for sure. To me part of that is that we often play what we want and not necessarily what we know will work...but expect to work as well anyway. I would like to do better at separating the two so that when we're playing to learn it doesn't feel like one of us is letting down the world.

I do flex a lot when we play as a group because I want a team comp that sort of works at least. The only try hard pick I would have right now is Valla. I worked on my Greymane but it still needs work, to be honest. Malf is getting up there but my win rate with him is still dumpster tier. I know warrior concepts but mechanically it's just not there right now.

Maybe some days I'll politely request if I can play so and so heroes. I used to have fun at playing whatever hero we could need because I like variety but I understand that it doesn't improve skill in the slightest where I'm currently at. I have game fundamentals down more or less I just need to up my game mechanically.

scoobs

MVP Miracle just beat L5 in game 2 rocking a disgusting Genji. Scary to think people will be twice as good on the hero in a few months.

Mupod

what determines who gets MVP of the match? I thought it was something simple like most XP, damage etc. But on my last Alarak match I had 1 kill, 20 assists, 1 death and nowhere near the top damage/xp. I didn't even get the little % summaries of what I did in the match on the MVP screen, it was just blank lol.

However I did feel like I was dominating, it was just my friend snaking all my kills. So I felt like it made the right choice.

Kioshen

No, Kio. You play what we need.

what determines who gets MVP of the match? I thought it was something simple like most XP, damage etc. But on my last Alarak match I had 1 kill, 20 assists, 1 death and nowhere near the top damage/xp. I didn't even get the little % summaries of what I did in the match on the MVP screen, it was just blank lol.

However I did feel like I was dominating, it was just my friend snaking all my kills. So I felt like it made the right choice.

Somebody datamined the formula. The person with less deaths and higher participation in the game gets the MVP 99% of the time.

Kioshen

Why did you put a caption when you can clearly read her lips?

French people, I swear.

You can't just post a quote. You have to put something there. I could edit it to put a hidden dot somewhere to ease your pain. I could also have posted the gif in its full glory but it's too big.

Edit: There I fixed it. Now get off my lawn you whippersnapper.

scoobs

Illidan is impossible to balance. I do kind of think making his Q unstoppable again and nerfing damage in return might be what he needs though.

brian!

I think he's plenty strong but would never say no to unstoppable q coming back

Bring back cast aside too, all the op fun things

kirblar

Some of the balancing in this game is questionable at best.
The balance is always in flux because they make adjustments very frequently. It's been relatively good for a while, the issue is that they often let stupid stuff like Malf stick around too long and that the game doesn't have 2 upfront bans to let people get rid of stupid stuff like Malf w/ a free ban.

scoobs

Problem with nerfing malf is then we have like 2 good supports in the game and it becomes Lucio versus Auriel in every game. They need to keep beefing up the other supports.

brian!

Malf doeant need huge nerfs or anything, he's just clearly the strongest support. Address twilight dream, maybe remove ice block, and he's pretty much in line. His e change should remain

kirblar

Problem with nerfing malf is then we have like 2 good supports in the game and it becomes Lucio versus Auriel in every game. They need to keep beefing up the other supports.
Wut?

Lucio and Auriel just got nerfed.

Uther, Karazhim, Rehgar, Morales all see regular play! BW the only full healer who doesn't, mostly cause of the output issues, but still sees some play when you can gank a lot.

scoobs

Wut?

Lucio and Auriel just got nerfed.

Uther, Karazhim, Rehgar, Morales all see regular play! BW the only full healer who doesn't, mostly cause of the output issues, but still sees some play when you can gank a lot.

We have a lot of "they're OK" supports. I wish we had more "lets first pick this" supports. Malf is the standard, I wish all supports would be up to his level of playmaking.

kirblar

We have a lot of "they're OK" supports. I wish we had more "lets first pick this" supports. Malf is the standard I wish all supports would be up to his level of playmaking.
You want a world where everyone's "They're ok!" Having to first pick/ban supports is absolutely terrible when you want all of them to have specific strengths and weaknesses.

Alur

I do flex a lot when we play as a group because I want a team comp that sort of works at least. The only try hard pick I would have right now is Valla. I worked on my Greymane but it still needs work, to be honest. Malf is getting up there but my win rate with him is still dumpster tier. I know warrior concepts but mechanically it's just not there right now.

Maybe some days I'll politely request if I can play so and so heroes. I used to have fun at playing whatever hero we could need because I like variety but I understand that it doesn't improve skill in the slightest where I'm currently at. I have game fundamentals down more or less I just need to up my game mechanically.

I think in general everyone pops around a lot bar whoever is playing the carry or the new hero, but my point was more that when it's time to go to the well to get a W and break the losing streak what hero(es) do you go to? Doubly so if you are solo. I believe you have to find those heroes that really click the most to keep the game from becoming too frustrating at times because they function like a security blanket. You might not necessarily win all those games with said heroes, but you will at least know you did well enough to do so and can enjoy it a little more.

re: fundamentals vs mechanics, I see it as the opposite. I don't think mechanically you're having issues with most heroes, it's decision making/awareness that burns you most often. When to go in, when not to, where to be and how long to be there. That's evidenced most by your struggles with warriors IMO. You can execute the abilities, the movements, stutter step, or whatever on most heroes. It's just plain experience you lack is all. You play several nights a week with players who were higher MMR than you and have logged 3k-4k games at a minimum and you've got a little over 500 on hotdogs. That's a big gap, nothing to hang your head about.

Also, salt in the wound...
Valla is basically your worst hero statistically. 47 games, 38.3% winrate. You don't have another hero with even half that many games with a winrate that low.

I think he's plenty strong but would never say no to unstoppable q coming back

Bring back cast aside too, all the op fun things

Agreed. Give me back my damn activatible D on Brightwing while you're at it.

Rizzi

Why is Varian allowed to be considered an assassin for quick match? Getting in to a match to discover that surprise, the enemy team has a tank and we don't is real fun.

Alavard

Why is Varian allowed to be considered an assassin for quick match? Getting in to a match to discover that surprise, the enemy team has a tank and we don't is real fun.

Yup. It was a stupid decision (multi-class my ass), but Blizz has already acknowledged it and said they're going to change it.

Kioshen

I think in general everyone pops around a lot bar whoever is playing the carry or the new hero, but my point was more that when it's time to go to the well to get a W and break the losing streak what hero(es) do you go to? Doubly so if you are solo. I believe you have to find those heroes that really click the most to keep the game from becoming too frustrating at times because they function like a security blanket. You might not necessarily win all those games with said heroes, but you will at least know you did well enough to do so and can enjoy it a little more.

re: fundamentals vs mechanics, I see it as the opposite. I don't think mechanically you're having issues with most heroes, it's decision making/awareness that burns you most often. When to go in, when not to, where to be and how long to be there. That's evidenced most by your struggles with warriors IMO. You can execute the abilities, the movements, stutter step, or whatever on most heroes. It's just plain experience you lack is all. You play several nights a week with players who were higher MMR than you and have logged 3k-4k games at a minimum and you've got a little over 500 on hotdogs. That's a big gap, nothing to hang your head about.

Also, salt in the wound...
Valla is basically your worst hero statistically. 47 games, 38.3% winrate. You don't have another hero with even half that many games with a winrate that low.

Those are all good points. Regarding Valla, I know my win rate doesn't look good but it was skewed heavily. I was at one point less than 10% win rate with her. If you take only my recent matches it's solidly in the positives ... wait no nevermind. Just filtered it with only Valla and I'm surprised at how much I've lost with her. WTH ! At least I still have a positive win rate (and fun) with Falstad, Naz, Zul'jin and Greymane.

Guess I just don't know where to go from here. Might as well hop on the warrior train again and work on those fundamentals.

Maledict

So a question on drafting. I'm last picking, I have to play suppport, hjere are the two teams:

Us: Li-Ming / Greymane / Muradin / Zarya
Them: Ragnaros / Murky / Leoric / Kael / Auriel

With Lucio and Malf banned. What's the right support pick here? I went Medic and it didn't work out at all. Partly because our Muradin took Haymaker and spent the entire fight trying to solo Kael, but even so...

Alavard

So a question on drafting. I'm last picking, I have to play suppport, hjere are the two teams:

With Lucio and Malf banned. What's the right support pick here? I went Medic and it didn't work out at all. Partly because our Muradin took Haymaker and spent the entire fight trying to solo Kael, but even so...

I would suggest Uther in a situation like that. Lots of armor for the squishy members of your team, and Divine Shield for Greymane. Morales shouldn't have been a bad pick though, since they didn't have any dive.

brian!

What map? Bw would destory here on a map that needs globals, uther would be good too

Alur

Those are all good points. Regarding Valla, I know my win rate doesn't look good but it was skewed heavily. I was at one point less than 10% win rate with her. If you take only my recent matches it's solidly in the positives ... wait no nevermind. Just filtered it with only Valla and I'm surprised at how much I've lost with her. WTH ! At least I still have a positive win rate (and fun) with Falstad, Naz, Zul'jin and Greymane.

Guess I just don't know where to go from here. Might as well hop on the warrior train again and work on those fundamentals.

That might be good. Doesn't hurt there are so many good ones at the moment. It'll definitely speed up the learning process on those things. One unorthodox suggestion I'd throw out is maybe delve into one or two with bad wave clear/mercing, something that makes you stick with the team because you can't go it alone. That solves the when to be there for an engage part by itself as you'll always be there.

Regarding your good winrate heroes, check this out.

Go to your hero overview in your hotslogs profile and check out KDA or Takedown to Death Ratio as Barrett has it labeled. The hero you die the least on? Falstad. Then if you go to sitewide average score, filter for Diamond, you're averaging slightly more damage, a good bit more siege, and considerably more soak than your average Diamond level Falstad. tl;dr he's definitely one of your best heroes. Your Zul'jin scores out well too. Obviously take some of that with a grain of salt, but I think those numbers can give you a good baseline on where you are. And you can see by your KDA with other heroes (like Valla) that your death counts are considerably higher.

We all know who's going to dominate the meta soon.

I must've missed the reference.

Top Bottom