• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alur

That feel when you have top damage and soak as Alarak, no deaths, and were the only one present for all the kills, but are told you need to learn to play. In diamond, no less, not even on my smurf.

dhRnaxI.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
New Alarak / Tyrande arent live right? Thats with the D.Va patch?

Alur

Surprised front page of reddit is so against map rotations. Wasn't that long ago people were clamoring for them. I mean, the current one has gone on too long for sure, but in general I think they are a positive thing.

Alavard

I like map rotations mainly because it's hard to learn a brand new map when you only have a 1 in 13 or so chance of getting it. The last time they released a new map in Overwatch I had to play like 15 games before I got a chance to try it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its rough out there today, havent even finished my 3 wins quest. I love Artanis but he's deffinately not QM friendly with people constantly ignoring you swaps.

Rhaknar

at least Spider Queen is back, and Ive never actually played the nuke one.

Alur

Been playing Alarak on two different accounts the past few days in QM. He's a weird one. Four games I absolutely dominated -- melee heavy opponents, of course, and I had a front line. Two games I was totally useless due to the matchups but won anyway because of the team. Four other games I did well enough, or pretty good in general but we lost. Four games I was also useless for the most part due to matchups and we lost outright.

Our last game I was Alarak against Tracer, Zeratul, Probius, Chromie, and Butcher aka the you're never gonna get any combos game. If I thought I had a combo, Butcher silence/charge/both followed up by Chromie and Zeratul. It was rough.

Alarak definitely feels like a fastball only hitter in his current form. He's the hero that if you throw a meatball comp in his zone he's gonna knock it 400+ yards for a homer. But when he gets up against the offspeed stuff (ie: good zoning range/cc and he has no frontline) he's an easy out. I'm not good enough with him to function sans frontline, When he works, though, it's fun, but I think I'm done with that experiment.

at least Spider Queen is back, and Ive never actually played the nuke one.

Tomb might be the best map they've made. It's up there. Warhead Junction can DIAF though.

The new map rotation which starts next week was posted on reddit earlier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/6anrtl/new_map_rotation_next_week_aumented_to_8_maps/

No BHB, Dragon Shire or GoT sadly :(

No love lost on GoT, but BHB is still my highest winrate map, and Hanamura needs to go back to the drawing board. At least the brawl was fun.

Both Starcraft maps are boring imo, but I actually think Warhead is better because there's no chance of a 10 minute stalemate. It's still too big and bottom tier imo.

Altairre

Tomb might be the best map they've made. It's up there. Warhead Junction can DIAF though.

Tomb always feels pretty snowbally to me, more so than some of the other maps. This replay shows that fairly well for a higher level game. Imo it only gets worse in qm because people get caught out during the enemy spider phase (partially because the map is small and there's a lot of potential to gank and collapse on people that are out of position), lose their gems and at that point you can't really do much while the team that is ahead just gets turn in after turn in. Rarely see comebacks on that map. Cursed hollow is probably my favorite though I also like BoE quite a bit.

Alur

The comeback on Tomb is built into the fact that the objective is so weak. It's hard for the aggressor to win without making a mistake and ceding ground. It was pretty snowbally at the start for sure but I don't feel like it's bad now. Definitely not in the way several of the other maps are, like Braxis and BHB.

Tomb can still be snowbally, if you get the first turn in and then delay the opponent's until lvl 10 they have to cede another turn in if they can't sneak it.
Pallytime's latest vid made me kinda wanna play Zeratul, but I'd really like to know why he's still 10k.
all stealthies are 10k I think. They aren't good pick ups for new players and against new players.

Rhaknar

Pallytime's latest vid made me kinda wanna play Zeratul, but I'd really like to know why he's still 10k.

Same heh. And im half decent with Zera too, unlike Nova. But he's 10 (actually 11 I think) and im currently in my "take other characters to 10 to learn them" kick so...

Fancolors

The thing I learned with map discussions is that everyone's​ taste differ, except Garden, don't think there are many people find of that one.

Altairre

Zera is incredibly difficult to play. As strong as void prison is, it's kind of a nightmare in pub games, you need to get good with vorpal blade and seeker in the dark to be as effective as you have to be and he struggles against a heavy frontline or shields. Of course you can say that about the other stealthies as well but Valeera at least has the stun to initiate a lockdown or to follow up on other cc. More often than not a famine or feast character imo even though you do have the mobility to jump in, get a pick and get out. And it can be fun to insta-delete a squishie at 20 with rewind.

Edit: Especially his most damaging combo takes some getting used to. Spike at point blank range -> AA(crit) -> reactivate spike -> AA (crit) -> cleave -> AA(crit) -> vorpal -> AA. If you really need to kill a motherfucker and don't need your escape you can even follow up with e into another crit.

Edit 2: Oh weird, vorpal doesn't count as an ability for the crit, I thought that used to be the case. Maybe I'm wrong though.

scoobs

I hate there idea of map rotations. The different maps are the selling point of this game for me, limiting the options makes no sense at all, particularly in quick match. If you're so upset there are a lot of maps then go play Hero League and make it have the same rotation as HGC so you can be a try hard.

Variety is the spice of life.

Alur

I hate there idea of map rotations. The different maps are the selling point of this game for me, limiting the options makes no sense at all, particularly in quick match. If you're so upset there are a lot of maps then go play Hero League and make it have the same rotation as HGC so you can be a try hard.

Variety is the spice of life.

2bEbcsM.gif

If you're so upset there will be a rotation, write a letter to your congressman Blizzard. It's been overwhelmingly requested.

Granted a lot of that centers around the opinion of Haunted Mines, Garden of Terror, and to a lesser extent Blackheart's Bay, but it's still been pretty consistently asked for in AMA's, dev chats, and on reddit in general since even back when BOE/Shrines came into the game.

Those three maps are just not as good as the others. Even redesigned Haunted Mines is still cheeseable. They didn't fix the whole problem, just some of it. Garden has been complained about since the day it came out because of it's size (in this case length from base to base) and how awkward the Terror is compared to the Dragon Knight. Win a team fight on your end of the map? LOL good luck getting to the other side before they are up unless you were full health after the fight, even with level 20 death timers. BHB has been through a couple iterations of people's salt. The OG reason people hated it was the watchtower at the top being a beacon for noobs. In general, though, the complaint in modern HOTS seems to center around the fact that the map is able to be PVE'd only and win and therefore is very counter intuitive for players.

inb4 someone says "ur jes bad on dose maps lulz"
Mines (57.1% 224 games, Garden (55% 273 games), and BHB (56.8% 273 games) are 3 of my best maps. They were all top 5 maps for me til Hanamura/Towers came into the game.

brian!

watching this nvt sss game, oh my god why would you go xstrike in this scenario
oh nm, i never play e build so i didnt get it, but they are going for an all in on a squishy w/ ring and then using that reset to get 13 e talent value while they are slowed/rooted

scoobs

2bEbcsM.gif

If you're so upset there will be a rotation, write a letter to your congressman Blizzard. It's been overwhelmingly requested.

Granted a lot of that centers around the opinion of Haunted Mines, Garden of Terror, and to a lesser extent Blackheart's Bay, but it's still been pretty consistently asked for in AMA's, dev chats, and on reddit in general since even back when BOE/Shrines came into the game.

Those three maps are just not as good as the others. Even redesigned Haunted Mines is still cheeseable. They didn't fix the whole problem, just some of it. Garden has been complained about since the day it came out because of it's size (in this case length from base to base) and how awkward the Terror is compared to the Dragon Knight. Win a team fight on your end of the map? LOL good luck getting to the other side before they are up unless you were full health after the fight, even with level 20 death timers. BHB has been through a couple iterations of people's salt. The OG reason people hated it was the watchtower at the top being a beacon for noobs. In general, though, the complaint in modern HOTS seems to center around the fact that the map is able to be PVE'd only and win and therefore is very counter intuitive for players.

inb4 someone says "ur jes bad on dose maps lulz"
Mines (57.1% 224 games, Garden (55% 273 games), and BHB (56.8% 273 games) are 3 of my best maps. They were all top 5 maps for me til Hanamura/Towers came into the game.

Luckily you will only play one of those 3 maps 23% of the time to you play this game, AKA 1 time a night, or more than likey 0 times a night BECAUSE THERE ARE 13 MAPS. Check out Reddit, it would appear not everyone was asking for this. Just the vocal minority.

Alur

I wouldn't mind if the rotation for us plebs is only a week. This one has sucked more and more as it goes on because there are so few in the pool in comparison to what's actually available. A different rotation for Hero League, or even HL following HGC wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

The only two I really truly hate are Warhead Junction and Haunted Mines, so the whole thing isn't going to solve my problems either way.

Luckily you will only play one of those 3 maps 23% of the time to you play this game, AKA 1 time a night, or more than likey 0 times a night BECAUSE THERE ARE 13 MAPS. Check out Reddit, it would appear not everyone was asking for this. Just the vocal minority.

Check out reddit for the last two years or so prior. Vocal minority would describe what's happening now more than what happened before I do believe. And a big part of this backlash is due to how narrow the pool is this time and how long it's dragged on. We've not had one go more than 2 weeks to my knowledge, and by the time this one changes we'll have done 3 with the current pool.

Rhaknar

Play as Abathur, team cant do shit.

Play against Abathur, gets crushed.

Welp :/

Top Bottom