• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alavard

just got into a match where my team, drum roll please...

Zarya (me), Jaina, Zeratul, Nova, Valeera

giphy.gif

Were the stealthies a group? You're not supposed to get so many stealthies on a team otherwise.

Alur

It's just a weird tip-toe fest where one person out of position or one good pick just has so much weight. It kinda has to be that way but it's a weird experience versus how the rest of the match plays.

brian!

Im cool w/ that, it's when a team gets a pick and realizes they cant really pressure or finish off of it and everyone waits for the guy who died to respawn so they can 5v5 and do it all over again ughhhhhh

Prelude.

Unless you are absolutely, unreservedly committed to playing a specific hero I don't know why anyone would play quick match. And even then I would play unranked and just force it most of the time.
I'm getting there, I despise the QM matchmaking more often than not.

Alavard

I think i start hating the game when it hits 22+ minutes

I only get that feeling when the game gets around that long and then an objective comes up that accomplishes nothing, like when a Punisher is summoned when there's already a path to the core and gets burned down before it can get past the shields.

At least with Sky Temple, or Towers of Doom, if the game has gone long, it's because it's an even game, and the objectives mean it can't stalemate for very long.

Edit - On the subject of QM, I said it months ago, but QM matchmaking has gotten worse and will only continue to get worse because of where we are in hero design. The more heroes we get, the more comp-dependent or niche heroes are designed. Of course the role classifications for matchmaking could be better (*cough* Varian *cough*), but I think QM will never be 'good'.

Alur

Im cool w/ that, it's when a team gets a pick and realizes they cant really pressure or finish off of it and everyone waits for the guy who died to respawn so they can 5v5 and do it all over again ughhhhhh

Yeah that part of it is awkward too. I find that happens most often in QM versus the other modes because there's some part of one or both comps that either can't finish without a huge advantage or can defend well despite a disadvantage.

brian!

Yeah it's mainly on maps where the obj gives 0 teamfight advantage like cursed hallow or spiders

And qm/weird drafts ofc

uff the punishwer being killed before even land a hit on a structure is bad, like didnt Bosses units get scaled or something? the Inmortals are a joke

Mupod

just got into a match where my team, drum roll please...

Zarya (me), Jaina, Zeratul, Nova, Valeera

this is the kind of team I go up against every time I queue as Probius or Kael'Thas. No fun allowed.

I bought D.Va because I've got almost everyone else, and she's alright I guess. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do with her defense matrix.

brian!

Dmatrix for when it will prevent more dmg than your auto can do, helping ur team retreat, nullifying burst (stuff like kael, chromie, greymane, etc.), and so on.

Dahbomb

Hard quests are usually never a good thing unless the pay off is huge.

The one that comes to mind is Kaelthas's Flamestrike quest. It's hard and you can lose all your stacks meaning it can be a completely useless talent if you die periodically (especially at high stacks) but if you manage to make it there you are good to go for a GG. Some players don't even pick it even if they are going for Flamestrike build.

Milly79

brian!

You could get paid a lot then if you put your words down

Im pretty sure that there is 0 money in writing about hots lol

When you summon a boss, is it better to push with it, or push on an opposite lane? Assume the lanes are in the same state.

It's always a matter of what can and can't be done, pushing with it is good if you need to in order to take something otherwise it's usually a waste. The main benefit of any camp that's not sappers or on hanamura is from the pressure it provides and the enemy heroes it draws.

Alur

Typically you just go for the second boss on maps like Cursed and Warhead. I kind of prefer pushing an offlane but it is sometimes hard to get randoms to do that.

A couple thoughts on the patch::

I hate being required to take cleanse in each game so a part of me is happy that cleanse is gone for Malf. I can't deny how powerful it is though and without a viable replacement to save teammates (like Uther's guardian of ancient kings) I don't know how viable he will be. The changes overall are pretty cool.

That indicator for fatal damage is a great QoL change, and so is a lot of the generic changes this patch. Dva players have been begging for a hold fire button and Blizz came out with it pretty quickly. Pretty great to see them implement that so quickly. QoL changes as well as visual clarity should be their focus for the next few patches imo

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hard quests are usually never a good thing unless the pay off is huge.

The one that comes to mind is Kaelthas's Flamestrike quest. It's hard and you can lose all your stacks meaning it can be a completely useless talent if you die periodically (especially at high stacks) but if you manage to make it there you are good to go for a GG. Some players don't even pick it even if they are going for Flamestrike build.

Yeah I need to stop grabbing them, im average at best (especially mechanically) and shit like the medivh quest for example are basically a dead talent. Starting to think the same about this Zarya regen globe talent too, as with all regen globe talents really. I usually finish her Q quest super fast, but the other one is hit or miss.

brian!

The main thing w/r/t camps and boss is that you really should strive to do stuff with them (i dont mean pushing with them). The worst is when you're ahead and just trickling to camps as a team, all you are doing is buying time for the enemy team. Mercs/boss in general give either no or low advantage in a fight so dont be grouping up w/ ur mercs like they are the 6th member of your team or something

A good reason to go w/ your mercs is to protect them, usually something like giant or boss.

scoobs

Thrall rework has me excited! Malthael looks extremely strong, but appears to be another case of one ult being far superior to the other. Tormented Souls seems super busted strong, it's basically Kerrigans Maestrom but better in every way.

brian!

Id put that title on map objectives

The regen ones used to be pretty decent before they reworked them, only one i can think of now that's good is zaryas and like really niche applications of the extra health on warriors with armor like tyrael

Oh wait chromie's is real good too

Dahbomb

Honestly I feel like I am still a noob when it comes to understanding Battlefield of Eternity. Easily my lowest win rate map. It's hard to balance team fighting in the middle of immortals while also doing damage to your immortals and preventing them from doing the same. Usually what ends up happening is that our team 5v4 wasted time poking each other when their main DPS hero is just chipping away at the Immortal silently. I am also always going to pick/ban Greymane on that stage with Valla second.

Haunted Mines is definitely the biggest noob traps. People go way out of their way trying to secure like 20 orbs from the boss when you can just soak EXP from lanes instead. Especially the first golem because at that point most heroes don't have their AOE damage high enough to speed clear the areas or do fast enough damage to the boss. I usually just ignore mines if our team manages to get around 30-40 globes because at that point you are just better off taking merc camps or pushing lanes/taking forts. Of course I would participate in team fights but I am not gonna waste time going down there to save a 3v5 team fight.

Dreavus

BoE is pretty complicated. I think if your team has better Immortal damage you're better off attacking, the reason being if they decide to race you, you win? The problem of course is when it's early game and death timers are super short then you lose track of everything and somehow lose the immortal phase even though you got a couple kills on them. How do the pros play that map?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Regen globe quest talents are the biggest noob traps in the game.

thanks.

akways nice to see that good old fighting game side of you come up, I guess in any multiplayer game.

Basoes

Got 2 legendarys today from common crates

pirate falstad and green prime evil diablo

what a good day, and now I have a reason to play diablo

scoobs

Got 2 legendarys today from common crates

pirate falstad and green prime evil diablo

what a good day, and now I have a reason to play diablo
Damn, some good drops grats! I'm really excited for next week and spamming loot crates for all these new skins :)

Next question:
What's the difference between a minion, a mercenary, and a monster? I notice talents provide benefits against all 3 distinctly and separately.

Id put that title on map objectives

The regen ones used to be pretty decent before they reworked them, only one i can think of now that's good is zaryas and like really niche applications of the extra health on warriors with armor like tyrael

Oh wait chromie's is real good too
The rewards are good, but getting 30 regen globes in a game feels impossible unless you are ignoring the objectives and teamfights.

Basoes

Next question:
What's the difference between a minion, a mercenary, and a monster? I notice talents provide benefits against all 3 distinctly and separately.

The rewards are good, but getting 30 regen globes in a game feels impossible unless you are ignoring the objectives and teamfights.

I'ma get this wrong but, a minion is the little basic ones that spawn constantly, merc is the ones from the camps you take also including bosses, not sure on monsters, not sure if that's even a thing

Milly79

Minions
Melee Minion Wizard Minion Ranged Minion Catapult

Mercenary
Siege (Siege giants Sappers Impalers Hellbats)
Bruiser (Knights Fallen Shaman Goliaths & Raven)
Bosses (Archangel Grave Golem Headless Horseman Junk Swarm Host ​​​Mega Enforcer Sand Golem)
Reward Camps (Fortification Camp Recon Camp Support Camp)

Monsters
Bone Golem Grave Golem Immortal Punisher Shambler Skeleton Skeletal Defender Sky Temple Guardian Webweaver Zerg Wave

scoobs

2-8 in my last 10 games, blizz why you do dis

just had 3 games in a row where my team died 40+ times. Not sure I've ever seen that.

Top Bottom