• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Phreaker

I just couldn't do $250, even though I wanted to. What if I hate the game? I did the $50 backing though and am really looking forward to HEX!

IllumiNate

At one point I was 3x Collector 1x Dungeon Crawler. Had to remove a couple tiers since I'll most likely be purchasing a new 2013 Retina MacBook Pro in a couple days.
Ended with 2x Collector and 1x King

Luigi87

What a wild ride. Surprised and glad this Kickstarter did so well.
Proudly a Pro tier backer. Glad this thread gave me an inclination to give the game a more in-depth look after the initial mention on Penny-Arcade.

ultron87

This was one of the better constructed Kickstarters I've seen in awhile. Their awards and approach were perfect for appealing to the crowd they needed to.

I can't wait to start playing this! I've very excited. I knew it'd make it's goal when I made the thread, but I didn't know it was going to do this well. I love MtG, but WotC has been lazy when it comes to fostering their Online version of the game. You get DotP, which is very good, but very limited. Then you have MtGO, which has a very slow, clunky interface. Hex seems like everything I wanted MtGO to be, with a focus on being a DIGITAL game, allowing for card interactions that would be very difficult otherwise. I'm very happy this did well for them, and look forward to the alpha!

StMeph

Only if the slacker backers pick up. they were about 50k short and lets not forget some people might still get refunded or their stuff might not go through.

I don't think they would fudge the numbers just to do the Con. They could announce a final total short of the goal and STILL announce it if they choose to; I don't see why that wouldn't be better goodwill than fudging numbers to meet the stated goal.

Even with the new $50 slacker level, I would expect the total to be less than the total pledged right now. There was a quoted average of 10% for Kickstarter funding to fail/be canceled at last minute, but I think Hex's is going to be a bit higher than that, because there was rampant tier stacking.

Izayoi

Banned
Only if the slacker backers pick up. they were about 50k short and lets not forget some people might still get refunded or their stuff might not go through.
$25335 short at the time the Kickstarter closed, not including 200-500 Paypal backers that have not been counted yet.

It's possible that we are at or over the goal right now, and they've still got to tally up t-shirt sales and add those as well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
$25335 short at the time the Kickstarter closed, not including 200-500 Paypal backers that have not been counted yet.

It's possible that we are at or over the goal right now, and they've still got to tally up t-shirt sales and add those as well.
I'm hoping they are over it. I'm happy with how much exposure and funding this got though :D

Proven

Weren't there going to be a lot of people that backed out? Like those $10k backers... and then there are those that were trying to sneak in a Pro Player or something and had $250 sitting in as a pledge.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Weren't there going to be a lot of people that backed out? Like those $10k backers... and then there are those that were trying to sneak in a Pro Player or something and had $250 sitting in as a pledge.

They dun goofed and thought the campaign ended tomorrow.

Izayoi

Banned
Why would they back out? If you mean people who had extra money down to try and get a different tier, most people took care of that in the last hour before it ended. There was a lot of fluctuation up and down during the final thirty minutes especially. I don't think we'll see any producers back out.

Proven

Why would they back out? If you mean people who had extra money down to try and get a different tier, most people took care of that in the last hour before it ended. There was a lot of fluctuation up and down during the final thirty minutes especially. I don't think we'll see any producers back out.

That means I missed the flux. Alright then.

Ferny

So I had a problem with it the last two hours of the Kickstarter. I originally wanted to get the King Tier but then decided to drop down to $85 Tier so I went to the pledge change thing and went down to the $85 one but I guess it just changed the rewards but not the actual pledge. I looked today and I was charged the $120 but am listed as getting the lower tier rewards. My mistake for sure, but I did send them a message to see if they can either move my pledge amount down or atleast give me the King tier rewards.

Proven

So I had a problem with it the last two hours of the Kickstarter. I originally wanted to get the King Tier but then decided to drop down to $85 Tier so I went to the pledge change thing and went down to the $85 one but I guess it just changed the rewards but not the actual pledge. I looked today and I was charged the $120 but am listed as getting the lower tier rewards. My mistake for sure, but I did send them a message to see if they can either move my pledge amount down or atleast give me the King tier rewards.

Sorry to hear that. It was only recently I noticed that there was a difference between pledge amounts and pledge rewards, and you have to specify each. It's irritating that it doesn't try to guess what tier you're aiming for.

mitheor

I had that same problem with the first DoubleFine game and they PM me to ask if that was a mistake :)

Forz

I just looked at my credit card and realized I did t he exact same thing (with the exact same pledge amounts as well). I better send that message off too.

rosarkar

Neo Member
What pvp exclusive rewards were provided in the kickstarter? Most, if not all, of the limited cards seemed pve exclusive.

It makes sense from a difficulty balancing perspective versus future backers but I'm mostly going to stick with PVP.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What pvp exclusive rewards were provided in the kickstarter? Most, if not all, of the limited cards seemed pve exclusive.

It makes sense from a difficulty balancing perspective versus future backers but I'm mostly going to stick with PVP.

Aside from the booster packs, you also get free drafts (either 3 free drafts for the lower tier, or 1 year for higher tiers, or even for life with pro player) which are obviously PvP exclusive. Also, alternate art PVP cards.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Aside from the booster packs, you also get free drafts (either 3 free drafts for the lower tier, or 1 year for higher tiers, or even for life with pro player) which are obviously PvP exclusive. Also, alternate art PVP cards.

The alt art PVP cards are gonna be worth more than I think people realize. The Collector, for instance, gets 6 alt art cards that are all rare/legendary for each set.

iirate

Yup. Nobody got exclusive PvP cards for backing, only alternate art versions of cards that everyone will be able to obtain.

Yeah, I'm sure they're smart enough to keep extremely exclusive cards out of the standard PvP format. That would be a surefire way to drive people off right out of the gate.

KHarvey16

In the end I went for the King tier and now I can't wait for the alpha to start up. I loved the bit of info about the deck editing system in the latest article and I continue to get the feeling the game is in the right hands.

Also, it looks like slacker backers get alpha access. Do they get beta access too?

Poetic

Yeah, I'm sure they're smart enough to keep extremely exclusive cards out of the standard PvP format. That would be a surefire way to drive people off right out of the gate.

Why would it drive people off? There will be normal playable versions.

KHarvey16

Why would it drive people off? There will be normal playable versions.

I think he's just saying that they're smart enough to not offer PvP rewards on kickstarter that are exclusive and instead do the alternate art which won't cause any resentment or issues for players joining later.

StMeph

Nice. Wonder what the announcements will be re: Alpha. And probably the Con.

I am a little disappointed that there have been no more articles/card previews since after the successful KS campaign though. Continuing that would have been nice for a daily dose of Hex.

Top Bottom