• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Protecting the country" can mean very different things to different people. Ditto "doing what's right." That's why we are where we are, for any number of social issues.

You have two choices the fucking white supremacist fascist or the one who isn't those things....

Yeah, that's really odd. What's up with that?

I haven't seen anything specific besides "animal rights" in the last 18 pages, so I'm gonna assume at this point that someone took a one sentence line in an article out of context or it's a game of "I'm gonna repeat this thing everyone else is saying because FUCK!"

mclem

No. People who want to protest vote should protest vote in states like Texas or California which are locked in. That's a smart use of a protest vote.

Texas is drifting blue-wards. Not that it'd necessarily happen this election, but no harm in hurrying it along!

Althane

Really? A white man? I thought we were past this. A pretty disgusting pick imo.

Oh dear god, a politician that's the same ethnicity as 62% - 77% of America! Disgusting! Unforgivable!

How DARE that happen!

But seriously dude, what the fuck?

Edit: Okay, Lufty up there makes a point that it's a troll. Sorry, shouldn't internet while drunk. :(

Edit: I take that back, you're just a jackass. OKDK!

idlewild_

I haven't seen anything specific besides "animal rights" in the last 18 pages, so I'm gonna assume at this point that someone took a one sentence line in an article out of context or it's a game of "I'm gonna repeat this thing everyone else is saying because FUCK!"

Presumably it comes from this scorecard: http://www.hslf.org/assets/pdfs/humane-scorecard/humane-scorecard-2014.pdf

Looks like he mostly got dinged for not co-sponsoring some animal rights bills.

Grexeno

Really? A white man? I thought we were past this. A pretty disgusting pick imo.
PRlhHIM.gif

Future

No. People who want to protest vote should protest vote in states like Texas or California which are locked in. That's a smart use of a protest vote.

I don't know man. The true death of the GOP would be losing Texas in any election. There would be no bouncing back. Imagine if there was a silent majority there all thinking they were locked in, when really they could send the biggest fuck you message ever

Drake

Oh dear god, a politician that's the same ethnicity as 62% - 77% of America! Disgusting! Unforgivable!

How DARE that happen!

But seriously dude, what the fuck?

Edit: Okay, Lufty up there makes a point that it's a troll. Sorry, shouldn't internet while drunk. :(

It's not a troll. I really thought she would pick another woman running mate. I'm pretty disappointed she didn't. The democratic ticket was supposed to be about diversity.

Knox

Texas is drifting blue-wards. Not that it'd necessarily happen this election, but no harm in hurrying it along!

I've thought about the prospect of Texas actually being close in the polls and whether I'd change my vote if it could actually go blue, just to stick it to how terrible the Republicans have been. I'd probably still vote Stein but it would be a glorious clusterfuck for Hillary to take Texas.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not a troll. I really thought she would pick another woman running mate. I'm pretty disappointed she didn't. The democratic ticket was supposed to be about diversity.

The Dems just nominated the first woman to be a major party candidate in the history of the United States.

Hillary Clinton heralds the first time in two hundred and forty years that a member from a demographic that is roughly half of this nation will be represented in the White House. That isn't groundbreaking enough for you?

He was legally obligated to only serrve one term so any conerns about his governorship are moot. The VA Constitution explicitly disallows gubernatorial re-elections. There's also precedent for mass clemency even for states where death penalty abolishment was not imminent (see: NM and Illinois).

Illinois had like half a dozen death penalty cases legit overturned in a period of a few years. That's what it would take to have mass clemency in a state that's not overturning the death penalty. Multiple public cases of people on death row in that state being found to be not guilty of the crimes they were convicted of.

Drake

IDK, I was hoping for an all woman white house. I think with Trump this race is a lock for us, so I was looking forward to some drastic changes. I guess I'll be happy with Hillary as president.

Kaine deserves a lot of credit for helping to turn Virginia blue.

As late as 2004, Virginia was considered a red state, safe GOP. Bush took it over Kerry by 8 points!

Kaine ran for governor in 2005 and was the first Dem victory in Virginia in a long time.

Then Obama took the state twice and Kaine got elected to the senate in 2012.

Now the state has a Democratic governor and 2 Dem senators.

Not disagreeing that Kaine deserves credit for this, but Mark Warner was a Democratic governor that preceded him. Kaine was his LG.

geomon

Not a fan of some of his policy stances (namely deregulating banks and TPP) but he's infinitely better than Heir Drumpf and MiKKKe Pence.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Great pick, a moderate from a swing state and also speaks fluent Spanish which should be helpful in Florida. Virginia is a lock for her which means Trump has to win PA or he's done.

Zach

I have to say, Tim Kaine has like... one of the friendliest faces I've seen in politics. I know nothing about him, or whether he's really just a straight up jerk, but right now I'd like to pinch his cheek.
Eh, I find him a bit creepy.

He opposes the TPP as of whatever time it was that Hillary told him he was vice-president.

Yep, already happened:

Alex Seitz-Wald ‏@aseitzwald 2h2 hours ago
Tim Kaine told Clinton he opposes the TPP after having reviewed it, per @kwelkernbc.

I always like checking candidate Truth-O-Meter scores.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/tim-kaine/

Pretty darn good.

Pence:
True 15%
Mostly True 5%
Half True 30%
Mostly False 20%
False 30%
Pants on Fire 0%
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mike-pence/

Kaine:
True 15%
Mostly True 44%
Half True 19%
Mostly False 15%
False 7%
Pants on Fire 0%
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/tim-kaine/

Comparing the ratings, Tim Kaine has
True: the same
Mostly True: 39 percentage points more
Half True: 11 percentage points fewer
Mostly False: 5 percentage points fewer
False: 23 percentage points fewer

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm actually OK with Kaine as her VP pick. He's the safe choice, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good choice. He has a pretty great record and seems capable, with no real negatives that I know of.

Kaine certainly won't hurt her in any way, unless something comes out from his closet.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
another benefit that they just said on CBS is that Virginia has a democratic governor and he would more than likely select a democratic replacement for Kaine (since governors can appoint senators who vacate their seat before an election) as opposed to Massachusetts where there is a Republican governor now.

so the senate is definitely a concern in the selection, i would think.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm actually OK with Kaine as her VP pick. He's the safe choice, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good choice. He has a pretty great record and seems capable, with no real negatives that I know of.

Kaine certainly won't hurt her in any way, unless something comes out from his closet.

Considering Clinton's team found Obama's grade school homework in 2008 I'm not too worried about skeletons in his closet.

Ok I am posting this in two different threads because

A) I am genuinely frightened of a Trump POTUS

B) I am not sure what to think

I did this electoral map:

And I did the most pessmistic I possibly could based off of the Obama/Romney map in 2012.

--

I do not see any feasible way Trump wins this ... am I wrong?

Vire

Ok I am posting this in two different threads because

A) I am genuinely frightened of a Trump POTUS

B) I am not sure what to think

I did this electoral map:

And I did the most pessmistic I possibly could based off of the Obama/Romney map in 2012.

--

I do not see any feasible way Trump wins this ... am I wrong?
You would have to give PA to trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Strongly against animal rights? What does that refer to? Like what rights is he strongly against?

He didn't co-sponsor some bills, but when stuff came up for a vote he voted with the group doing the grading. Really the whole thing is just silly and they should feel silly for how they do the grading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom