• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am posting this in two different threads because

A) I am genuinely frightened of a Trump POTUS

B) I am not sure what to think

I did this electoral map:

And I did the most pessmistic I possibly could based off of the Obama/Romney map in 2012.

--

I do not see any feasible way Trump wins this ... am I wrong?

Iowa is much more likely to go Trump than Colorado or New Mexico.

I hope this is not the sort of people she appoints to the Supreme Court. That's like the whole point of voting for her even if you hate her.

Where did those slides in the OP come from?

I saw the phrase "Strongly Against Animal Rights" and got sick to my stomach.
So I searched this guys name, animal rights and the only thing I found was some bill to ban cat de-clawing. That seems pretty PRO animal rights to me.

Kangi

Everyone knows this is the darkest timeline.

jGYan5R.png

Azzanadra

As much of as a long shot it was, I really was hoping for Warren :(

I really don't like this guys position on banking, there needs to be MORE regulations not less. That was the number one thing I saw in Bernie, he was for the working man while Kaine seems more interested in lining the pockets of the already affluent and wealthy fat cats on wall street... which will of course, in turn impact the lower classes most of all. especially minorities.

And I did the most pessmistic I possibly could based off of the Obama/Romney map in 2012.

--

I'd say this is the most pessimistic as of now, which would result in a Trump win if I'm not mistaken.

--

Going by your map, if Trump wins New Hampshire, Nevada or Pennsylvania, he would win.

New Mexico is solid Democrat though.

I'd say this is the most pessimistic as of now, which would result in a Trump win if I'm not mistaken.

Yea and Wisconsin is almost certainly in Hillary's pocket judging from state polls (lead is 4-9%).

I just don't see any way Trump can pull this one off.

KNOCKS FURIOUSLY ON WOOD

Xe4

Banned
Tim Kair as VP???

im_shocked.gif

Seriously though, he's a good pick, and here's why:

lBB5GhU.png

I think this is pretty self explanatory, so I'm not going to add to it. Kaine is one of the bether picks soley for this reason.

2. He speaks very good Spanish, and has been to Honduras. He would be able to reach out to the Hispanic community in a way no other person on the ticket has been able to before. It's one thing to talk to the Hispanic community, but another to get on Univision and give an interview in spanish.

3. He's popular with the African American community. That demographic is pretty much locked down already, but every little bit helps.

4. A lot of colleges on both sides of the aisle, including moderate republicans like him. Seriously, it has gotten wierd with the rise of the far right, but working with republicans is something that still needs to, and should happen. As VP is head of the Senate, he could come in and try to broker a deal.

d4etYoo.png

Pretty self explanatory I think.

6. This guy is more progressive than Biden, and as Hillary is already the most liberal candidate ever. Thus, this will be the most progressive ticket, and most progressive platform in the history of the US, which is a pretty big deal.

Preview of the VP debate w/ Mike Pence?

Tim Kaine = anagram for Anti-Mike
: p

So yeah, Kaine's a good choice. Not perfect of course, but nobody is. It will be a very smart, progressive, and experienced ticket that runs again the horrid ticket of Trump/Pence.

More importantly, I'd say this is realistically what the current map would look like while still being a little conservative with the remaining states:

Even with all the anxiety that Trump gives me, it's pretty calming every time I look at this.

Link

The Autumn Wind
My thoughts are even though Kaine is the safe, boring pick, he's incredibly qualified, and just as importantly, he's very likable.

televator

This guy is anti abortion? Looks like he signed bills that would "inform women" about their choices before the the procedure. Yuck

Edit: never mind. Looks like the guy has changed his views a bit and now has a good score with PP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wow surprise it wasn't julian castro or whatever random names you saw in an nyt puff piece last week!!! i'm so shocked!!! also it wasn't bernie or elizabeth warren!!!! wow!!!! who could have predicted this?!?!?

How is he on foreign policy? A cursory glance seems to indicate he's not great, but of course, I haven't done any in-depth research.

This guy is anti abortion? Looks like he signed bills that would "inform women" about their choices before the the procedure. Yuck

Edit: never mind. Looks like the guy has changed his views a bit and now has a good score with PP.

He personally is against abortion but is pro-choice.

Odrion

Banned
More importantly, I'd say this is realistically what the current map would look like while still being a little conservative with the remaining states:

Even with all the anxiety that Trump gives me, it's pretty calming every time I look at this.

Alright, so Wisconsin seems to be tipping over to the red?

What can I do to help prevent this?

Velcro Fly

it is still early so states that are polling somewhat close will always show up as battleground but she has been ahead there including a poll last week that included Gary Johnson and Jill Stein as choices

Wads

Banned
I'll eat my underwear if Ohio goes to Trump. Voted Obama in 2008 and 12. I don't see a path to victory for trump.

Amir0x

Banned

--

It is incredibly difficult. He has to take something like Florida and Ohio and hold onto Virginia and Nevada both. His path is perilously tiny, which actually compounds his problem even if polling wasn't already against him. It actually moves the odds even further toward Hillary.

It's still very likely to go to Hillary but I was being pretty conservative with that map.

Still though, go to the campaign's website and sign up to volunteer if you wanna help. Considering it's Donald that's on the side, no amount of helpers would be too much.

My thoughts are even though Kaine is the safe, boring pick, he's incredibly qualified, and just as importantly, he's very likable.

What's next for Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA), politically? (C-SPAN)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUVo12m2ag

Tim Kaine On Meet The Press (Full Interview) | Meet The Press | NBC News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1hElMRQfx0

Senator Tim Kaine On Being Vetted For Hillary Clinton's Vice Presidential Pick | MTP Daily | MSNBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8t-EEcjGUU

Senator Responds To Vice President Talk: 'I Like My Job' | Morning Joe | MSNBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkddlHs4v2M

Sen. Tim Kaine Gives Emotional, Powerful Speech on Gun Violence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nczha-aDmN4

Feature Interview - Senator Tim Kaine (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmjSXGpRSBM

Kaine is likable as heck and comes off far more personable than the other three WH candidates and as knowledgeable as Clinton. I have a suspicion that over time some people who were sour with his pick might come to prefer him over Hillary.

Velcro Fly

He basically needs either all of Ohio/Florida/Pennsylvania

or he needs two of those (most likely Ohio and Florida) and to win a vast majority of the swing states like NH, Iowa, Colorado etc. Even with Ohio and Pennsylvania he needs to basically win Colorado, NH, Nevada, Iowa to get it to 269-269 so the House can elect him. He basically needs Florida 100% or the task almost becomes impossible.

I'm pretty sure there is a neat graphic on this posted somewhere but I did this mostly fooling with the electoral map.

hoos30

I really don't like this guys position on banking, there needs to be MORE regulations not less. That was the number one thing I saw in Bernie, he was for the working man while Kaine seems more interested in lining the pockets of the already affluent and wealthy fat cats on wall street... which will of course, in turn impact the lower classes most of all. especially minorities.
Kaine is nothing like this. His entire career has been focused on helping the common man, from his missionary work in Honduras to his time as mayor of Richmond. The bank thing is a weird look, but the fact is all banks aren't the Wall Street banks that caused the Great Recession.

Colorado and Nevada are demographically problematic for Trump. Nevada, because of the high proportion of Latino voters, and Colorado because of the high levels of college educated whites. His Latino numbers are just disgusting, and he is losing college educated whites. (Obama won both Colorado and Nevada while losing college graduates in both states). Hillary is also winning White women nationally (and in most swing states). Obama lost this group in 2012 (and 2008).

Feingold is on the ballot in Wisconsin. I cannot imagine there are many (if any) Trump/Feingold voters. The only republican who has ever lead in an opinion poll in Wisconsin was Kasich.

Florida is also demographically problematic for Trump. There have been something like 1.7 newly registered Latinos in the state. Hillary also doesn't share the same weakness Obama had with transplanted Northern Whites. (He did fine among them, but Hillary will do better for gross and obvious reasons).

Kaine must have moved her polling enough in Virginia that she thought it was a better pick than Vilsack in Iowa. Iowa and New Hampshire are Trump's best bets. But, if we take Virginia and Colorado off the table.....good luck.

His position on banking? You really should have finished reading that thread.

Continually seeing posts that say both parties are bad really makes me feel a perfect storm that gets Trump elected is brewing, and that scares the the shit out of me. As far as I'm concerned Hillary could've nominated a tree stump as VP and I'd still vote for her, just because the alternative is that awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom