• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroki Totoki gave some details on the restructuring of Bungie!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People who focus so much of their time on culture war stuff are weird. If a games doesn't have the stuff you like, why not just not buy/play it, instead of blaming everything bad in the world on DEI?

Bungie is cashing and burning

"It has to be the inclusivity and tweets that caused them to make such bad financial decisions!"

Destiny had two expansions that didn't sell well and it fucked Bungie. That simple.
Probably because gamers want good games.

A studio like Rocksteady made solid batman games for years. Did diddle squat for almost 10 years and with all the time and budget made suicide squad which nobody asked for and is a lousy game.

It goes for any studio. Wasting time and money in junky stuff which not only sells bad and often poor games, but due to politically driven dev team the studio might close to boot.

All because they didn’t hold true to what they make in the past. Going after DEI, gaas or a combo of both isn’t for every studio or gamer pool. Yet it seems many gun for it because they are politcal or they see CoD and Fortnite gaas buckets of money and try to aim for something not every studio should.

Now we can say both Sony and Microsoft have 2 terribly inneficient studios. One with Bungie, and the other with 343i. Both share the same dna.

Latinx is getting beyond parody. Tweet practically reads like:

OffTop, but I;ve lived around and known a lot of Hispanic people my entire life and not once have I ever heard a single one of them refer to themselves as LatinX. The one time I heard that term used was, of course, a fat white lady during one of those DIE presentations :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Now, it's literally crazy that Bungie needed 1,300 people in order to keep that Destiny 2 content flowing.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Absolute shambles of a developer.

Big wake up call to Sony to not go around and purchase teams you haven’t worked with before.

Bungie and Firewalk are two lemons

Bernardougf

DEI = diversity quotas instead of meritocracy.

Diversity hires are less talented workers.

Less talented workers make worse games.

Worse games sell less than good games.

DEI killed Bungie.
Its really difficult for a lot of people to realize that DEI practices are not just some gay or minority character ... a lot of shit is happening behind the end product..

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Its really difficult for a lot of people to realize that DEI practices are not just some gay or minority character ... a lot of shit is happening behind the end product..
Exactly.
For example they hired kevin peter hall for his role as predator in first 2 movies not coz he was black, but simply coz he was best for that role, tall/martial artists, could stay in predator suit for many hours daily, never complained, 100% professional, was so imposing, that filming crew(and the viewer of the movie) could actually believe Arnie was in big trouble.

Embearded

There is no problem having gay or minority characters.
Personally, i love TLoU and we play a lesbian girl.
Her being lesbian, gives something to the character and her difficulty to build and maintain human relationships are essential for her. It all plays a role. At least that's how i received it.

I hate it when they reveal the characters sexuality without adding something to the plot. It's like i am watching a movie where the protagonist spends 15 minutes on camera shaving, just shaving in front of a mirror. It's meaningless and all it does is waste my time.

Why does it matter what kind of genitals a random hero likes to lick in a hero shooter game? How does that contribute to the experience? Why are you paying people to work for that instead of new gameplay mechanics?

And finally, why do all these people need to relate in some ways to the protagonist?
I am a straight white Mediterranean male and believe me i have NOTHING in common with all these straight white heroes.
I would never survive in a situation like MGS1 for example. I would be dead before reaching the first elevator.

People can relate to a character with the same skin color or sexual orientation yet they don't seem to care that they weight twice as much. Does representation matter only for skin color and gender / sexual orientation?
What about us fatties???

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Worst purchase of all time. $3.6 billion for a trash studio when Respawn, Crystal Dynamics, Insomniac and others went for just $300 million.

They couldve had capcom for that much. Just a retarded move though i do understand they were in a bit of a bind with MS buying up activision.

Both companies fucked each other over by acquiring overpriced trash instead of cultivating their own internal studios.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Worst purchase of all time. $3.6 billion for a trash studio when Respawn, Crystal Dynamics, Insomniac and others went for just $300 million.

They couldve had capcom for that much. Just a retarded move though i do understand they were in a bit of a bind with MS buying up activision.

Both companies fucked each other over by acquiring overpriced trash instead of cultivating their own internal studios.
What makes even less sense is if those rumours are true that even in 2022, Bungie financials were lousy and already spiraling down the tubes. Paying tons of money for a crumbling game maker makes no sense.

It was always a high purchase price regardless which most people scoffed at. But at least if real info comes saying that in 2022, Bungie was on fire with giant profits, ROI and margin and Sony got burned buy at the high it's simply an investing mistake picking a high flyer at the wrong high price.

But paying a high price for a company they knew had bad financials is a blatantly bad move. No spinning that one no matter how good Bungie is supposed to be being expert GAAS overseers.

Just like buying stocks, if you going to toss in money risking on a shaky company you buy them at a rock bottom price.

Put it this way. If sony spent $3.6B on a company they knew was in trouble, that means if Bungie was doing great they'd be worth $5 or $10B? Doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom