• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I was largely in blackout for this game. An E3 demo is all I saw and of clouds the gifs but holy shit is this game a looker. How the hell did they do this? I am in awe. Also Aloy is the first main character in a very long time I have really loved- maybe ever. Just leaving the home area here after leaving where all the matriarchs hang out. LOVING this game so far. Would love a lock on mechanism and better melee combat but other than that its absolutely fantastic.

Something else that rarely happens to me is that I am going through the dialogue trees to get more info. Also the origin story at mother's heart is amazing and you can just walk right past it is you aren't paying attention.
Uh, what origin story? For Mothers Heart?

Figured some of you have trouble with wires being scarce. Here's one error I made that contributed to that early on.

I think some of us are just used to the normal way of reloading in games, however please remember that when you use resources to buy ammo, you buy them in bulk.

So don't waste time crafting ammos when you are just 2, 3 arrows short. Keep track of how many are left and craft responsibly :)
Good looks , I've been struggling with having wires

Man I'm loving this whole bit of doing a side mission, only for it to just keep going with changing mission objectives. Then when you're done, it gives you another interrelated mission to do.

Sounds good. I don't think I have any side missions yet, but I have quite a few "errands". I've been staying away from them so far because most of them are of the collect 5 of this or that variety. Does this change further on or should I just stick to the actual side quests for the meaty stuff?

Fake edit: I just got my first side quest. It's really low level though.

TsuWave

i know this is weird to say and its probably not what anyone's trying to hear right now, but how the hell is this game not a 90 on MC, I just don't get it. been a while since a game gripped me like this

nOoblet16

About armor:

The armor is protecting the body. If you tear off the armor you can then shoot at the unprotected body.

It's like every other RPG, except in this game there is actual armor that you can remove to get at the vulnerable part and not a percentage statistics you debuff.
Knocking parts off does the following:

1) You can use the parts as materials
2) Some robots have weapons that can be used when knocked off
3) Knocking parts off lowers their defended, in some cases it causes an explosive damage
4) Last and the most important reason, knocking off a certain part mean the robots lose a certain ability.

The way to quickly kill a robot is by doing the following in this order:
1) Lay traps before fight
2) Knock out the important stuff using tear arrows, it might do some damage it might not....But damage isn't important here.
3) Debuff the robot using an elemental weakness
4) Use heavy arrows at critical points, if possible fire 3 arrows at once provided you have the skill.

I am not near the end of the game(I think). I am going around trying to get the special armor u get a trophy for. I am at the entrance to
gia prime
. Is there a way into this place before a certain point. When I got to the area, I was
attacked by a giant bird, so I sprinted past it and got to what I believe is the entrance. I can climb up, then it seeming leads to a dead end. But even then I dont see anyway I would be able to proceed later

i know this is weird to say and its probably not what anyone's trying to hear right now, but how the hell is this game not a 90 on MC, I just don't get it. been a while since a game gripped me like this

USgamer review kinda killed that, but ultimately a number doesn't dictate quality.

hydruxo

Ugh I usually don't have any issues with resource management in games but my pouch is constantly full and I don't know what to sell and what to keep. I'm trying to upgrade my resource pouch to carry more but none of the boars I'm killing are dropping bones. I just want to play the game and be able to loot stuff lmao.

Oh my god.. Bought the Deluxe version so I could get the Theme. The main screen is good but that bright yellow with white letters in the side menus just makes my eyes hurt

Question: are the bigger creatures like Thunderjaws supposed to be saved for later in the game?

Ran into my first Thunderjaw and tried to take it down a few times but really couldn't chip its health past like....an eighth of its healthbar

My instinct with everything thus far has been "yep let's take care of it" but I've run into a couple of things now that don't really seem doable without standing around chipping it

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ugh I usually don't have any issues with resource management in games but my pouch is constantly full and I don't know what to sell and what to keep. I'm trying to upgrade my resource pouch to carry more but none of the boars I'm killing are dropping bones. I just want to play the game and be able to loot stuff lmao.
Drop one resource so you have space to pick something new up
Go into the crafting menu for the resource pouch upgrade
Press [ ] to create job (I think it's [ ])
Kill boar
Now you should have a boar bone

hydruxo

Kill boar

Huh didn't know that was even a thing, nice. Thanks!

Rost spoilers

You can go to the rosts home and talk to Rost grave. Pretty damn cool
Just experienced this and it was beautiful. The tone of her voice and the delivery really sold it. And the fact that
she updates him on her journey so far
is just another thing that makes this game so special.

Kill boar

So the two times I've done this I always got the resource I needed for crafting. Does this make the drop percentage 100%?

Question: are the bigger creatures like Thunderjaws supposed to be saved for later in the game?

Ran into my first Thunderjaw and tried to take it down a few times but really couldn't chip its health past like....an eighth of its healthbar

My instinct with everything thus far has been "yep let's take care of it" but I've run into a couple of things now that don't really seem doable without standing around chipping it

The game is like that you come across certain dinos and you're just like.. "can I do this?" Sometimes is better to run and wait until you got the proper gear to tackle the challenge.

Tearblast sharpshot bow is your friend.

nOoblet16

Huh didn't know that was even a thing, nice. Thanks!

Kill boar

So the two times I've done this I always got the resource I needed for crafting. Does this make the drop percentage 100%?

Making a resource a job does not do anything, atleast it didn't for me.
However, there is a proper mechanic to increase rare drop rates...i.e. Harvest arrows (Sharpshooter Bow).

If you kill something with the Harvest arrows they have quite a high drop rate for rare materials. I had a lot of issues getting Fox skin and Boar skin and it took a long time to get them, then I realised what Harvest arrows actually does (there is NO explanation of what it does in the game anywhere) and killed a few animals with it and voila !! rare stuff started popping every 2-4 kills.

Making a resource a job does not do anything, atleast it didn't for me.
However, there is a proper mechanic to increase rare drop rates...i.e. Harvest arrows (Sharpshooter Bow).

If you kill something with the Harvest arrows they have quite a high drop rate for rare materials. I had a lot of issues getting Fox skin and Boar skin and it took a long time to get them, then I realised what Harvest arrows actually does (there is NO explanation of what it does in the game anywhere) and killed a few animals with it and voila !! rare stuff started popping every 2-4 kills.

I did not know what the hell harvest arrows do. Thanks for sharing man.

Also when you finish the last quest can you explore the world still or do you have to start a new game?

The game is like that you come across certain dinos and you're just like.. "can I do this?" Sometimes is better to run and wait until you got the proper gear to tackle the challenge.

Tearblast sharpshot bow is your friend.
Yeah that was pretty much the only way I could do any real damage

Giant bird things seemed like a pain too, most of the time the arrows weren't even registering as hits..... I imagine you destroy the glowing parts and it fucks off

nOoblet16

I took my first Thunderjaw as a level 17 something. All you need to take him down is tear arrows, fire arrows and heavy arrows. And you can make it even easier if you have some blast traps and a ropecaster.

Infact, actually you only need tear arrows and that's about it, if you shoot the disc launcher with 1-2 tear arrows it'll get dropped and made available for you to use, you can then practically kill the Thunderjaw entirely using the disc launcher.

ironcreed

Banned
Nifty new outfit.

C59m1KDUYAAicTT.jpg:large

Oseram Arrowbreaker Medium.

nOoblet16

I did not know what the hell harvest arrows do. Thanks for sharing man.

Also when you finish the last quest can you explore the world still or do you have to start a new game?

Once you finish the last mission the game world resets to a point just before you initiate the last mission, so you can go around do stuff in the world and even attempt last mission again. Kind of like how FFXV did it.

I just took on two
Bellowbacks
on very hard. The sheer satisfaction I got for beating them, especially because I hadn't saved in a bit...

Holy shit, I love this game.

That the game turns off aim assist makes landing the clutch shots even more satisfying.

at this rate I'm never going to reach there lol reminds me of that place in Dragon Age, so much to do

I'm level 35 and I'm picking up all the metal flowers and vantage point before heading there now. Gaf has been hyping the city up so much I can't wait to get there

How do you access the pre-order DLC content?

If I'm not mistaken it should be in your treasure boxes within your inventory

Once you finish the last mission the game world resets to a point just before you initiate the last mission, so you can go around do stuff in the world and even attempt last mission again. Kind of like how FFXV did it.

Perfect for me. I'll turn the hud completely off and just roam

TsuWave

is there a place where i can get the soundtrack? like is it on spotify or something? i need that main theme on my phone

Is there a way to repair your mount? I accidentally called it into a bandit camp and it got down to half health. I'm too attached to it to let it die, we've been through so much together :'(

It is not. Killed a shit ton of racoons with a quest active and never actually got what I needed.
So what does the create a job feature actually do? I thought it was supposed to help you to stop grinding

I just took on two
Bellowbacks
on very hard. The sheer satisfaction I got for beating them, especially because I hadn't saved in a bit...

Holy shit, I love this game.

That the game turns off aim assist makes landing the clutch shots even more satisfying.
Found 3 in one spot and noped myself out.
Found two sawtooths earlier and got me a few times

nOoblet16

I've got nothing left to do in this game now except a few bandit camp, 3 trials and collecting shit lying across the map.

I do find it a bit funny though how people hate Ubisoft games because of the "formula" no matter how fun to play the game is or different from formula (as with Watch Dogs 2) the game is. Going as far as to mock even the smallest things like the map because it's full of icons. And the funny bit is that Horizon has all of it from collectibles to towers to map full of icons, it's more Ubisoft formula than Watch Dogs 2 or Division and yet I haven't really seen that sort of negativity towards it.

It shows that the formula isn't really bad or isn't really something that makes the game bad inherently but what matters is the gameplay...Though in case of Ubisoft it seems to be hard for people to see past the name of the developer.

I took my first Thunderjaw as a level 17 something. All you need to take him down is tear arrows, fire arrows and heavy arrows. And you can make it even easier if you have some blast traps and a ropecaster.

Infact, actually you only need tear arrows and that's about it, if you shoot the disc launcher with 1-2 tear arrows it'll get dropped and made available for you to use, you can then practically kill the Thunderjaw entirely using the disc launcher.
Yeah I'm 17 now, will have to try in my next playsession. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom