• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

The cauldron is pretty tough. Maybe I should come back when I don't suck.

If you're talking about the end fight of the first one, don't forget you can lay tons of traps before you engage, and knock out a few Watchers before, too.

Sorry if this has been asked already I'm trying to avoid this thread for spoiler reasons but does anybody have any idea why I can't seem to use purple modifications in my weapons?

When I go to the crafting screen in Click a slot for a modification the purple ones just do not show up as a possible resource.
They're probably armor mods

MaKTaiL

Sorry if this has been asked already I'm trying to avoid this thread for spoiler reasons but does anybody have any idea why I can't seem to use purple modifications in my weapons?

When I go to the crafting screen in Click a slot for a modification the purple ones just do not show up as a possible resource.
There are mods for weapons and gear. If the mod you have is for gear then you can't apply it to a weapon. Also you cannot apply a fire mod on a weapon that has no fire arrows in it. The same goes for other types of damage.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There are mods for weapons and gear. If the mod you have is for gear then you can't apply it to a weapon. Also you cannot apply a fire mod on a weapon that has no fire arrows in it. The same goes for other types of damage.

Ah OK this might be it.

I thought corruption mod would just be stronger against corrupted. Maybe it's an ammo type?

hqxfsR2.gif

damn nice gif

Omg, 15 hours in and I just realized that you hold down R2 to fire the sling shot further.

😑

I was wondering why it didn't feel like a useful weapon type.

So how prominent are ruins in this game? And do you ever get jumped while exploring them?

Both in real life and in games, old abandoned buildings evoke a very visceral fear reaction in me, and even just revisiting the ruins Aloy fell into as a child was hugely stressful for me

deoee

Wtf is wrong with you guys and the sling-shot :D
TadkV.gif

So how prominent are ruins in this game? And do you ever get jumped while exploring them?

Both in real life and in games, old abandoned buildings evoke a very visceral fear reaction in me, and even just revisiting the ruins Aloy fell into as a child was hugely stressful for me

Oh right, I wanted to do that.

Can you point me in the right direction? I don't remember where they are.

Ricky_R

If only those damn leaves moved when you moved through them rather than clipping through in an obvious fashion. Don't even want physics based movement, just a little shake and wiggle while you pass through. My biggest disappointment, followed by water which has the same issue of little to no feedback (sometimes you don't even get splashing sound).

You're telling me that in that first pic nothing moves when you walk? Not even a lil bit?

Nothing huge for me, but it sure will be a bit disappointing.

If you go to
Rost
grave after every mission Aloy will update what she has done.

Stop it!!! I didn't even know about the
grave
and I feel like if I had done it, I would have felt the feelz everytime.

That
old woman should have said "you should go pay your respect or something"

Early part of the main quest is pretty bland to me. Clearing these human outposts is so boring and they shouldn't be part of the main quest. This type of filler should be relegated to side activities. The fact that the human combat is the least flattering aspect of the game doesn't help either.

Most of the fun so far has been random battles with robots outside of the actual quests.

And yeah the nighttime atmosphere is so good.

PepperedHam

I have a question about a line of dialogue from one of the later story missions. I haven't finished the game yet so I'm scared of entering the spoiler thread and seeing unmarked stuff. It's a pretty deep mission so if anyone has beaten the game or gotten to the deep heavy stuff, if I could PM you or if you could check out the stuff in tags below that'd be cool. It's a line of dialogue that got interrupted and I really wanted to hear it. I don't want to label the name of the quest because I'm trying really hard not to spoil you guys in here but am too chicken to enter the unmarked thread.

During the Zero Dawn facility mission there's a conversation between Aloy and Sylens about the robot animals GAIA produces. She begins to ask him why would she produce animals that attack people and as soon as she was asking that she was interrupted by another line of dialogue because I walked too far. Did he give her a reason or just a non-answer?

NeoBob688

1) I purchased the resource pouch upgrade, but can still only carry 50 resources. Why?

2) Some rare items are used for selling and trading with merchants. How do I trade with merchants?

Sooo I didn't do it in the beginning but I decided to do it recently.. Grata..This saddens me anybody else feel that way? Am I'm understanding that aloy and Ross were the only ones keeping an eye on that poor women

RedSwirl

So I've only had just enough time to get past the montage at the beginning.

Man, this seems like they took EVERYTHING from Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, and Witcher 3 and just wrapped it all up in a prettier package. After playing some Witcher 3 earlier today on PC on my GTX 1070 and then playing this on my original PS4, I have to say Horizon looks fucking crazy. I just don't know yet if it has any value beyond what it borrows from other games. The focus thing does a good job of contextualizing the entire HUD but that's all I've had the time to see so far. And that HUD: when I look at it I can immediately identify from where they grabbed each part of it. More games should use Bethesda's compass form Elder Scrolls and Fallout though instead of tying it to a minimap, so that's good.

I'm not saying every game has to do something original to be good, but I'm kinda getting flashbacks to when I tried Darksiders. Darksiders was praised for borrowing a bunch of stuff but when I tried it, it just made me want to play those games it borrowed from. It failed to bring its own flavor to the mix and felt generic as a result.

I feel like what Horizon has to do and what Zelda BOTW has to do (since it draws from the same games) is either mix those things together with good level design and good encounter design, push those elements to heights not seen before, or add a good twist to their foundation. I dunno man, these games just need to feel like more than the sum of their parts if they're going to borrow and emulate so directly.

Y'know what? If these games manage to do all that shit without over-reliance on waypoints and contextualize their worlds well enough for me to just naturally find things that might be a big enough leap forward.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
1) I purchased the resource pouch upgrade, but can still only carry 50 resources. Why?
You get more slots for different resources. Each stack of a single resource will only ever go to 50 before a 2nd slot will be used.

2) Some rare items are used for selling and trading with merchants. How do I trade with merchants?
You will have to find a merchant and in their Buy tab you can see that an item costs shards and some other item. That's what's meant by that.

I mean, do they react to Aloy when she passes through or do they move with the wind randomly?
They do both.

Ricky_R

You get more slots for different resources. Each stack of a single resource will only ever go to 50 before a 2nd slot will be used.

You will have to find a merchant and in their Buy tab you can see that an item costs shards and some other item. That's what's meant by that.

They do both.

That's great to
read
hear. Thanks.

Am I missing something obvious or is there really no way to sort the inventory or the order of the item quick-select? Especially with the quick select I'd like to have a proper order rather than the randomness of whichever order I first acquired each item. Also being able to deselect items to reduce the number that I have to scroll through would be nice. It would be a pretty big screwup on GGs part to not have any sorting options.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Man I'm loving this whole bit of doing a side mission, only for it to just keep going with changing mission objectives. Then when you're done, it gives you another interrelated mission to do.

I take back what I said about the armor designs...I still think at least half of them look dumb but some have grown on me. I've also significantly underestimated the effects they can have. The stealth and elemental resistance ones in particular are very useful. I make a habit of switching outfits in certain encounters/situations now.

An aside: does anyone else think the sound effect for shooting arrows is a little weak? Its just bizarre considering the phenomenal sound effects and soundtrack found in the rest of the game.

Stop it!!! I didn't even know about the
grave
and I feel like if I had done it, I would have felt the feelz everytime.

That
old woman should have said "you should go pay your respect or something"
When she first told you about it, it immediately got my attention that I should probably try to go there. Seriously, I'm about to leave on epic journey. No way I'm not visiting that place before leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom