• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
An aside: does anyone else think the sound effect for shooting arrows is a little weak? Its just bizarre considering the phenomenal sound effects and soundtrack found in the rest of the game.
On that note, when you're in an area surrounded by cliffs and Aloy yells something (f.x. "ouch") you hear an echo.

vypek

Any tips on the Blast sling tutorial?
I'm guessing humans would be the easiest pray.

They are easier. I got mine on grazers. Hit some down to a lower HP and chased the herd into trip wires where they become easier picking. Humans are way easier though

nOoblet16

You're telling me that in that first pic nothing moves when you walk? Not even a lil bit?

Nothing huge for me, but it sure will be a bit disappointing.

They move.

They move a bit with the wind but they don't react to the player at all, not even a pre canned shaking animation. The only foliage in the entire game that reacts to the player is the tall grass that you see in the 2nd pic.

Figured some of you have trouble with wires being scarce. Here's one error I made that contributed to that early on.

I think some of us are just used to the normal way of reloading in games, however please remember that when you use resources to buy ammo, you buy them in bulk.

So don't waste time crafting ammos when you are just 2, 3 arrows short. Keep track of how many are left and craft responsibly :)

benny_a

They move a bit with the wind but they don't react to the player at all, not even a pre canned shaking animation. The only foliage in the entire game that reacts to the player is the tall grass that you see in the 2nd pic.
Oh for some reason I didn't see the first picture when I clicked up the quote chain. I meant the tall grass you hide in.

Haven't seen the other foliage in the game yet or at least not noticed it.

Figured some of you have trouble with wires being scarce. Here's one error I made that contributed to that early on.

I think some of us are just used to the normal way of reloading in games, however please remember that when you use resources to buy ammo, you buy them in bulk.

So don't waste time crafting ammos when you are just 2, 3 arrows short. Keep track of how many are left and craft responsibly :)
Yeah I also only just realized this right now but for a different resource. I used up all my money and then realized that money is the arrow head.

Kalentan

I just... Holy crap!

Engaged my first Thunderjaw in the wild and I managed to get under his belly and used the Tearblast and EVERYTHING that he had on his belly flew off to loot. Was so awesome. Then froze him and used the disc launchers against him.

Compressed as fuck because I uploaded to FB first but what do I care!?

Behold the mighty Aloy!

16992518_10212289164813370_2106255793957764615_o_zpsfym3fw30.jpg

10 minutes of biblical battle.

Wagram

I'm kind of dumbfounded that GG didn't add a weapon cycling system in the quick weapon menu considering how many tools are available. I mean hitting L1 using the right thumb stick and hitting R2 would suffice. I want to use all my bows, but that means taking out my ropecaster or tripcaster. Also it really sucks not being able to buy Wires in bulk. They are the most needed damn item.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the first cauldron. Game continues to blow me away.

the trip caster just saved my ass in that cauldron fight.. put an electro trap right in the middle and kept trying to lure him into it.. i swear motherfucker was ACTIVELY AVOIDING it after the first few times. battle got even more heated and i forgot i even laid it.. just in time for him to run right through it. finished with a critical hit while he was downed.

definitely unlock the downed critical hit perk, guys. and use the tripcaster!

I'm kind of dumbfounded that GG didn't add a weapon cycling system in the quick weapon menu considering how many tools are available. I mean hitting L1 using the right thumb stick and hitting R2 would suffice. I want to use all my bows, but that means taking out my ropecaster or tripcaster. Also it really sucks not being able to buy Wires in bulk. They are the most needed damn item.

Yeah, I've started to need more slots in the weapon wheel. I use both of my bows, but I also need the other side weapons.

Lifeline

Any thing missable or anything I should do before (early game spoiler)
The Proving?, you have to talk to Rost and he asks if you're ready or not. Makes it sound like something can be missed if I go ahead now.

This game is very addicting.It's been a long time since a game pulled me in like this where i constantly think about it when i'm not playing it, lol.

AtkO

This game is very addicting.It's been a long time since a game pulled me in like this where i constantly think about it when i'm not playing it, lol.

I know right. You know that quest where Greta sends you to look for her amulet and whatnot? I spent 5 hours completing that quest. I started it, then always found something that took me off track, I kept going places and trying stuff, without getting bored. I checked the clock and it was almost time to sleep. This game is everything I wanted and more!

hbkdx12

So uhh, nil spoilers

After doing all the bandit camps
he asks you to meet him and challenges you to a fight to the death. You can either accept or decline. Both choices have the lil prompt next to it to suggest they both result in some kind of action. I declined because it didn't seem like something aloy would do but now I'm wondering if I missed out on anything. Anyone accept the fight?

i just got this from gamefly. i have a pro but only a 1080p tv. what are the options, and which is better? i'm trying to avoid searching for stuff so i don't get spoiled.

darkwing

I know right. You know that quest where Greta sends you to look for her amulet and whatnot? I spent 5 hours completing that quest. I started it, then always found something that took me off track, I kept going places and trying stuff, without getting bored. I checked the clock and it was almost time to sleep. This game is everything I wanted and more!

I liked the environmental puzzle in that quest too

You didn't just imagine this, many enemies do not like to trigger it, which is why it's most useful when they are enraged or in narrow places.

Yes, I also notice that the machines are more likely to hit traps when enraged. Or when patrolling. But that shunhi gif from the previous page kinda show that it isn't really the case.

Quonny

Man you can really abuse leashing in this game.

Sneak attack, run away so the enemy resets, run back in, sneak attack, repeat.

benny_a

Yes, I also notice that the machines are more likely to hit traps when enraged. Or when patrolling. But that shunhi gif from the previous page kinda show that it isn't really the case.
Shunhi had placed a detonation trap, not a tripwire. I only meant the tripwire, as that was what blame space experienced.

autoduelist

Can't read this thread since I see some are posting images of stuff I haven't seen yet.

Just wanted to add a voice that this game is amazing. I'm taking my time, and am only in what I consider act 2, but holy he'll everything feels so good. I recently platinumed farcry primal, and thus has some echoes of that, but wow is this game lush and fully realized.

Lovvvvvvvvve it

So I was largely in blackout for this game. An E3 demo is all I saw and of clouds the gifs but holy shit is this game a looker. How the hell did they do this? I am in awe. Also Aloy is the first main character in a very long time I have really loved- maybe ever. Just leaving the home area here after leaving where all the matriarchs hang out. LOVING this game so far. Would love a lock on mechanism and better melee combat but other than that its absolutely fantastic.

Something else that rarely happens to me is that I am going through the dialogue trees to get more info. Also the origin story at mother's heart is amazing and you can just walk right past it is you aren't paying attention.

I have my first legit complaint against this game. I don't understand or like Aloy treating Erend like shit when she meets him at Meridian again.
She is constantly short with him, won't give answers about Olin at first and tells him he needs to obey pretty much, then she tells him to get out of her way when he is trying to ask her for a favor, which turns out to be helping him find his sister's murderer. Like...what the fuck? She treats stranger's out in the world with more kindness, and is more willing to help them. Without Erend, she wouldn't even have been let in the city.
Really bugged me how bad she came off.

ricelord

killed my first thunderjaw, good god that shit was epic, and also dont hack a sawteeth and expect it to help you, that dam thing will run like a bitch and not help fight.

I have my first legit complaint against this game. I don't understand or like Aloy treating Erend like shit when she meets him at Meridian again.
She is constantly short with him, won't give answers about Olin at first and tells him he needs to obey pretty much, then she tells him to get out of her way when he is trying to ask her for a favor, which turns out to be helping him find his sister's murderer. Like...what the fuck? She treats stranger's out in the world with more kindness, and is more willing to help them. Without Erend, she wouldn't even have been let in the city.
Really bugged me how bad she came off.

Probably due to his attitude, considering he's completely plastered and seems to not understand his responsibility considering his sister had just died, leaving him in charge of the vanguard. So probably some exasperation.

Radec

I hope they add challenge arena or something when you finish the story.

Like fight 2 or more Thunderjaws + 1 Thunderbird at the same time.

G-Bus

Banned
I hope they add challenge arena or something when you finish the story.

Like fight 2 or more Thunderjaws + 1 Thunderbird at the same time.

Sounds like a perfect concept for dlc. Maybe even give us a few new ones.

Oh the possibilities for a sequel.

Question. Does knocking off pieces on bigger machines lower their armor/make them take more damage? Or is knocking things off strictly for getting components? Some of these bigger mahines take forever to kill.
Probably due to his attitude, considering he's completely plastered and seems to not understand his responsibility considering his sister had just died, leaving him in charge of the vanguard. So probably some exasperation.
Yeah...I suppose that could be it. Might have bugged me more because I like his character a lot so far.

AtkO

A little album here, not everything I took an screenshot of (thank god for that =D)

A little selection of my favorite ones

rETDp20.jpg

Pe4NFHU.jpg

HX68ZIo.jpg

Notice how the lens flare circles out Aloy (not intended)

EXGTHHc.jpg

L8HOaKw.jpg

My new homescreen on my phone

1dZL5O1.jpg

The colors...

benny_a

Question. Does knocking off pieces on bigger machines lower their armor/make them take more damage? Or is knocking things off strictly for getting components? Some of these bigger mahines take forever to kill.
About armor:

The armor is protecting the body. If you tear off the armor you can then shoot at the unprotected body.

It's like every other RPG, except in this game there is actual armor that you can remove to get at the vulnerable part and not a percentage statistics you debuff.

Silvard

Is there a way to buy wildlife mats? They're really annoying to farm.

Also, has anyone traded their mats for mystery boxes? It's extremely annoying to get a bunch of boxes full of rocks which you can't even discard because you're already full of rocks.

I have a bunch of mats that I don't see the use for, despite them saying used for trading. I checked all purple armors and weapons and they don't require them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom