• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybris

You can get another version of it from the shop which uses electric and some other type of ammo, so I think it can do more than just remove components.

Also, there are a myriad of ways in which you could structure the acquisition of new weapons. I think a more detailed crafting system would be good, encouraging you to hunt different types of creatures, dismember specific components etc, to get particular ingredients for particular weapons.

I think the weapon variety is fine for the first game, but man is it a pain in the ass that you can only have 4 equipped. Idk how many times I find myself wishing I was playing on a pc with 1 button weapon switches.

Oh my fucking god
Lance Reddick
is in this game.

I just had to express my irrational (and unexpected) excitement about that fact. Back to avoiding this thread for fear of wayward spoilers.

(Just a voice actor's name for anyone worried about that one.)

Kaversmed

I'm actually surprised how much of a Witcher 3 feel I get from this game. That's a good thing btw.

It's like if Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider had a baby.

Cubed

I'm basically at 20% completion and really getting sucked in now. I mean, I was pretty hooked from the start, but now I'm like "stay up til 2am and still wanna keep playing" hooked.

Sony's first-party games have been so friggin' good this generation!

I love how 9 times out of 10, battles in this game are a harsh lesson in "no plan survives contact with the enemy".

I really wish I was a better shot. So many fights I fuck up come from little more than my failing to hit the area I meant to.

Toni

In case you missed it, you can - minor mechanic related spoiler -
buy the heart from a vendor.

I keep hearing this.

Where is that vendor? All vendora I've encounter sell the basic stuff. Would help me out tremendously as well against Thunderjaws and corrupted machines.

Is there any other game with such fast on-the-fly crafting? It really influences the pace of combat when you can refill your ammo mid-fight. You don't even have to slow down, and the game goes into slow motion

silva1991

STORY SPOILERS
Hades? lol wtf. having been playing KH1 in the past months I can only think of Hercules Hades. I can't wait to see it/him

Also I'm at level 31 and the 2
corruptors
from level 12 main missions were surprisingly tough.

Has anyone tried to see if there's a limit on how many machines you can override at once?

I suggest walking all the way to Meridian instead of using a mount, trust me.
I almost never use a mount in this game. It's quite surprising

I use mounts more for combat than I do for travel

Zackat

Has anyone tried to see if there's a limit on how many machines you can override at once?

I had 4 in a big battle once, that was all I could get before they all started dying.

STORY SPOILERS
Hades? lol wtf. having been playing KH1 in the past months I can only think of Hercules Hades. I can't wait to see it/him

Also I'm at level 31 and the 2
corruptors
from level 12 main missions were surprisingly tough.
I don't think level really means much other than having more skills unlocked.They'll still kick your ass no matter the level lol.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there any other game with such fast on-the-fly crafting? It really influences the pace of combat when you can refill your ammo mid-fight. You don't even have to slow down, and the game goes into slow motion

Closet I've played is TLoU.

I love how they've balance the game around having to craft ammo on the fly. In large battles you need to use a lot of it, and you can't carry enough to avoid crafting. It adds an extra layer to combat, especially as looting/crafting mid-battle is a valid tactic and not a death sentence. Heh, I've even managed to jump off a ledge, craft ammo and pull off a headshot kill before I hit the groud. So much fun!

GG's background in shooters/action definitely helped here.

Just did a few more side quests and part of one of the main quests. Fought my first Snapmaw. I got to an area where I had to swim across to a small island, when I heard a loud rumble/grumble. At first, I thought it was a Thunderjaw or something. I get to the island, look back, and a fucking Snapmaw is slowly walking to the island from the water. I hide in the tall grass, turn around, and two more Snapmaws are on the other side of the island. All level 20 or so, while I was level 15(I think). Maybe a little lower. Shit was scary, lol.

And I can finally take down Sawtooths without too much of a problem.

Jamaro85

Oh my fucking god
Lance Reddick
is in this game.

I just had to express my irrational (and unexpected) excitement about that fact. Back to avoiding this thread for fear of wayward spoilers.

153193-god-damn-right-gif-Imgur-The-W-5Eml.gif

I haven't heard him yet but will be just as excited when I do. If it's irrational so be it. And if I have heard him and somehow missed it then SHAME on me.

CHC

Speaking of voice actors anyone who played The Witcher III will instantly recognize one of the random Oseram NPCs.

I guarantee it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
OléGunner;231461289 said:
I'm about 10 hours in and still can't find any shock arrows.

Is the bow and arrow limited to regular+fire arrows alone?
The different bows and rarity unlock different arrow types.

The regular bow is the Hunter Bow which has has regular impact damage and fire only.

zkorejo

I found the super armor at the cave, had 2 power cells to get in but nooo.. I need 3 more. I had to look up and it seems I have to complete story missions to get in those ruins/zones. Thats so stupid.. I want that armor now.. not after beating the story.

Floody

OléGunner;231461289 said:
I'm about 10 hours in and still can't find any shock arrows.

Is the bow and arrow limited to regular+fire arrows alone?

Need a War Bow for them. Not sure when they unlock though a merchant was just selling one when I was looking to improve my gear. You also get 1 for
Blazing Sun ranking all Hunter Trials.

CHC

Oh my fucking god
Lance Reddick
is in this game.

My favorite part of that is that the
voice comes so, so much earlier than the face
, but anyone who knows him will instantly recognize it!

after farming for hours for a Trampler heart, finally got one.

Buy the super rare War Bow, NICE !

Clear right after the last Blazing Suns challenge... got a superior Lodge War Bow for free...

Ah !

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

I like the Charger mount because it looks cool at night with the glowing lights and is a bit faster too. But yeah, I very rarely use them. Glad I didn't spend skill points on the free mount skill.

I found the super armor at the cave, had 2 power cells to get in but nooo.. I need 3 more. I had to look up and it seems I have to complete story missions to get in those ruins/zones. Thats so stupid.. I want that armor now.. not after beating the story.

You can get it before beating the story. I rushed through some of the missions just to get the power cells.

Horizon 2 needs to let you use any machine as a mount, and give each unique mount attacks. Also some basic squad controls or an "attack that" whistle since the game lets you overide multiple machines but only your one mount follows.

Jamaro85

Does anybody else never use a mount? One reason I don't is because I'm never maxed out on health herbs and am constantly picking them, and another is that it just feels so good to run around and take the world in. Then I inevitably run into a pack of machines that I must waste, making it feel impossible for me to ride for any prolonged period of time.

I think the fact that campfires are EVERYWHERE also takes away from the need to use a mount. If I'm exploring unknown land I'm definitely wanting to take it all in by foot on the first trip through, and if I need to backtrack anywhere there's always a campfire nearby.

I'm still on my way to Meridian, for reference with where I'm at in the game.

I like the Charger mount because it looks cool at night with the glowing lights and is a bit faster too. But yeah, I very rarely use them. Glad I didn't spend skill points on the free mount skill.

Just saw these before hitting submit. Cool.

Staf

Do you miss out on the side quests if you mainline the story? The story is so damn good but so is the side stuff i constantly get stuck on.

ch4fx_

Cauldrons
are cool. I spent an embarrassingly long amount of time on my first one (
"Sigma"?
), but I finally completed it. Pretty sure I was wayyyyy over leveled also, not sure I could imagine doing one of those at level.

Also, THIS. FUCKING. GAME.

SaberEdge

I can't even believe this game is real. There's something incredibly novel about it and I haven't felt that way about a game in a while. Novelty rules.

I know what you mean. Even though I definitely see elements that we've seen in other games the overall experience feels quite fresh. And it's so so good.

I think it's funny how much this game reminds me of Witcher 3. So so many things about it. I ain't complaining though.

It does remind me a lot of The Witcher 3. The beauty of the open world in particular is something these two games share and they are way above most other RPG games in this regard. I'm not complaining either.

I'm actually surprised how much of a Witcher 3 feel I get from this game. That's a good thing btw.

It's like if Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider had a baby.

Considering I love both of those series I'm very happy to see how Horizon contains many of the best aspects I enjoyed in those games. I love the stealth aspects in Horizon and using the bow.

Does anybody else never use a mount? One reason I don't is because I'm never maxed out on health herbs and am constantly picking them, and another is that it just feels so good to run around and take the world in. Then I inevitably run into a pack of machines that I must waste, making it feel impossible for me to ride for any prolonged period of time.

I think the fact that campfires are EVERYWHERE also takes away from the need to use a mount. If I'm exploring unknown land I'm definitely wanting to take it all in by foot on the first trip through, and if I need to backtrack anywhere there's always a campfire nearby.

I'm still on my way to Meridian, for reference with where I'm at in the game
Psrt of it is the desire to grab resources. Also it's because you run fast enough, even without sprinting, to move at a reasonable pace through the world

And for me, I feel that being on foot forces you to pick your fights, and sneak if you want avoid a tough fight.

The stat page only shows head shots not head shot kills. So you have no way of knowing what percent of those head shots were kills. You should still get in fairly early though. Only took me longer cuz I use stealth strike more for bandit camps.

Ah, okay. Thanks. That's probably it then as I'm only on 31 headshots so far.

zkorejo

You can get it before beating the story. I rushed through some of the missions just to get the power cells.

Isnt it like ... 2 missions before the end though?

Sidequests dont realize evolve beyond the main mechanics but they throw you into tough fights or introduce new machines in great ways

-
Dude just get taken out mid-sentence by a stalker
-
Blood trails leadiing to the water, to the snapmaw island
(Pre Dawntower spoilers)

Haines

Banned
4 hours knee deep loving this game and zelda hits.

Guess I'll come back when zeldais done :( it's too good and I'm too much of a ninty fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom