• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm enjoying the game, but holy fuck some of the encounters are absolutely terrible.

I'm currently doing the mission where
you go searching for Olin
and there are 2 corruptors with a bunch of human enemies trying to kill me. The mission is for level 12, I'm level 19 and I'm getting my ass kicked, it's really deterring my enjoyment of the game.

I feel like I'm constantly underpowered. Am I not grinding enough?

Only issue I had was with the Corrupters, so I used stealth to take out the humans first. Then I used tearblast arrows to take off the rocket launcher and other weapons from the Corrputers, finishing them off with fire arrows. The boulders that they throw at you can be problematic, but I found that being on the upper level surrounding the pit gave me more cover from them.

I'm enjoying the game, but holy fuck some of the encounters are absolutely terrible.

and there are 2 corruptors with a bunch of human enemies trying to kill me. The mission is for level 12, I'm level 19 and I'm getting my ass kicked, it's really deterring my enjoyment of the game.

Maybe knock down the difficulty. So far I've found that there's always a way. They give you the tools to deal with situations

One thing I wish this game would allow is overridden enemies following you. The big ones usually just stay in their spot. I was hoping to unleash them on camps and stuff

I think that's kind of the point. You can't out grind the entire game where you just start one hitting things super easily, you have to actually play the game.

You can use stealth to limit number of enemies you have to fight later

Use traps, as many as you can.

Equip stuff that plays to your strengths for gameplay, if you're up close use equipment that reduces melee damage for example.

Use the dodge liberally, you get tons of invincibility frames from the dodging.

What difficulty are you on? I'm on very hard and I haven't had to grind once yet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Levels only give you health. You should get some crafting and double shot bow skills.

One word - modifications.

Use a damage coil on your bow and it will feel like new game.

Khrae

So, I met a
rockbreaker
in a
quarry
. Game decided that was a good place to auto save.

How? I tried blowing chunks off, but it just kept on coming and tracking my dodges.

I solved the autosave issue by running away and jumping off a cliff.

I couldn't believe Ashley Burch was the voice actress for Aloy.

I'm now in love, what an incredible performance. Not to mention, what a fantastically written character too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So, I met a
rockbreaker
in a
quarry
. Game decided that was a good place to auto save.

How? I tried blowing chunks off, but it just kept on coming and tracking my dodges.

I solved the autosave issue by running away and jumping off a cliff.
To kill them you have to focus on the belly. You will get an opportunity when they dive at you and stay on the ground for many seconds. Use ropes or keep shooting the green belly part to damage them fast. Always keep running and dodge at the last moment. They have a lot of health so come back later.

mileS

I didn't know you could change your tool/potion in slow motion with the weapon wheel open. Keep learning new things all the time with this game.

____

Non-spoilery question about credits.

When they did the credits, did they name everyone that worked on this particular game or every single person that's ever worked on a game at any time in any office across the globe for Sony?

I mean I watched, easily, at least 6 million names scroll by.

Khrae

You will get an opportunity when they dive at you and stay on the ground for many seconds. Use ropes or keep shooting the green belly part to damage them fast. Always keep running and dodge at the last moment. They have a lot of health so come back later.

Yea, it's the vast amounts of health I was having the most problem with, I saw my opportunities to attack and shoot them, but it just made little to no impact on that health bar. I think I took maybe 10% off in what felt like 3-4mins. I was lvl 25 at the time, only 27 now, and not feeling much stronger.

j0hnnix

Yea, it's the vast amounts of health I was having the most problem with, I saw my opportunities to attack and shoot them, but it just made little to no impact on that health bar. I think I took maybe 10% off in what felt like 3-4mins. I was lvl 25 at the time, only 27 now, and not feeling much stronger.

I feel the same way at times. I'm thinking of just stacking damage mods soon.. Attacking enemies even below my level feel like I'm throwing Pebbles at them.

Run into - I mean, from - my first Thunderjaw

Damn, they're scary. Actually compels me to sneak my way through the world until I get clear

17103317_1432227290129138_7536422767677965525_n.jpg

nOoblet16

Levels don't really matter, the only thing they do is give you HP.

You need to use fire arrows on corruptors since any corrupted robots are super weak to it. But before you do that you kill all the humans first starting off with the snipers, you can get on the perch quietly from the side with no one taking notice.

Khrae

I feel the same way at times. I'm thinking of just stacking damage mods soon.. Attacking enemies even below my level feel like I'm throwing Pebbles at them.

I'm hoping when I finally get around to improve concentration I'll actually have enough time to aim at the weak spots. Spamming flame arrows in their general direction has carried me this far dammit.

Skeletron

When you kill a machine will you find all the parts you didn't knock off in the loot? Or does knocking off parts create extra loot?

hydruxo

The amount of different enemies in close proximity to each other near the
Tallneck in the top left part of the desert
is ridiculous. Had to stealth the shit out of that to get to it haha. There were
Sawtooths, Redeye Watchers, Bellowbacks, Longlegs, Ravagers, Rockbreakers
all right there. Madness.

Non-spoilery question about credits.

When they did the credits, did they name everyone that worked on this particular game or every single person that's ever worked on a game at any time in any office across the globe for Sony?

I mean I watched, easily, at least 6 million names scroll by.
Speaking of the credits... you know what I was impressed about it is?

It was all done in real time. You can use the photomode and tinker with the DOF.

Here's a cool comparison of Horizon in 4k mode to The Witcher 3, max PC settings in 4K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvNXBxVW-g

Horizon is holding up pretty well, even surpassing the Witcher in some regards, while falling short in others.
Also interesting is the difference in art style. Directly compared to The Witcher 3 it is even more apparent how stylized Horizon actually is.

I think this is a pretty good comparison which, overally, Horizon definitely comes out on top. However, I think it needs to be bore in mind that the video is trying to compare like with like in terms of environments. Horizon, in my opinion, has much better look environments than the ones depicted here. All things told, I think some environments really come out quite a bit ahead of Witcher, to put it mildly.

Sanctuary

Things I wish this game did differently:

1. Reminding me to hit R1 to highlight and track tracks, as though I already forgot the previous twenty times it told me.

2. Letting me know; no, insisting that I open up my quest log to track a particular quest that I've ended up near, because that's what I should be doing.

3. Aloy constantly letting me know that I'm stupid, and that maybe the Focus can show me more (even though I'm busy doing something else), and she won't shut up until I use it.

4. The weapon tutorials; why do you actually have to have those "quests" being tracked to get credit for them? You can't simply do them naturally over the course of the game.

5. Snapmaw moaning after death. Needs to shut up already.

Otherwise, aside from the same grievances I have with all "open world" games, I have enjoyed this way more than I initially expected. The machine animations in particular are amazing, and remind me a lot of Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter.

Floody

Finished it, even managed to accidentally Platinumed it which is a first for me, and really enjoyed it. Really solid, interesting story to go with the excellent world, gameplay and lead in Aloy was a damn good way to kick off what I hope will be a very long franchise.
Only thing I didn't like was fighting humans wass kinda meh and some dodgy hitboxes here and there.

Already know my GOTY this year is gonna be hard, already have two (Yakuza 0 and this) that would've walked it last year and have so much more to get to.

nOoblet16

I think this is a pretty good comparison which, overally, Horizon definitely comes out on top. However, I think it needs to be bore in mind that the video is trying to compare like with like in terms of environments. Horizon, in my opinion, has much better look environments than the ones depicted here. All things told, I think some environments really come out quite a bit ahead of Witcher, to put it mildly.
Yep..This so much.
Overall Horizon is better, the lighting and materials in Witcher 3 are quite primitive in comparison. And since these are the two things you immediately notice everywhere in any game it makes Horizon a lot more pleasing to look at...even if it can fall short on some areas like water interaction.

j0hnnix

I'm hoping when I finally get around to improve concentration I'll actually have enough time to aim at the weak spots. Spamming flame arrows in their general direction has carried me this far dammit.

That's what I've been doing so far.. I do like the slingshot just for the age of fire.

1. Reminding me to hit R1 to highlight and track tracks, as though I already forgot the previous twenty times it told me.

2. Letting me know; no, insisting that I open up my quest log to track a particular quest that I've ended up near, because that's what I should be doing.

3. Aloy constantly letting me know that I'm stupid, and that maybe the Focus can show me more (even though I'm busy doing something else), and she won't shut up until I use it.

4. The weapon tutorials; why do you actually have to have those "quests" being tracked to get credit for them? You can't simply do them naturally over the course of the game.

Yeah surprised Guerilla didnt give us the option to turn the tutorials off. It gets tiring after a while.

nOoblet16

Improved concentration is like 3 times longer than normal...so yea you get a lot of time.

Otherwise, aside from the same grievances I have with all "open world" games, I have enjoyed this way more than I initially expected. The machine animations in particular are amazing, and remind me a lot of Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter.

Add not being able to buy in bulk

Stiler

For real, I prefer to just put a waypoint on a quest and not actually track it, so I can just find my own way there without having a waypoint telling me exactly what road to take (which usually takes longer then trekking over the environment).

It gets a bit old seeing it pop up "TRACK THIS QUEST blah blah."

One other problem they really should try and fix is letting players know that they can upgrade the resource inventory.

There were more than a few that complained about the lack of space to fit in the items in the resource rab.

nOoblet16

For real, I prefer to just put a waypoint on a quest and not actually track it, so I can just find my own way there without having a waypoint telling me exactly what road to take (which usually takes longer then trekking over the environment).

It gets a bit old seeing it pop up "TRACK THIS QUEST blah blah."
There is an option to do that. It's like the 3rd open you see as soon as you go to options menu.

nOoblet16

One other problem they really should try and fix is letting players know that they can upgrade the resource inventory.

There were more than a few that complained about the lack of space to fit in the items in the resource rab.
Is it really the game's fault that those people didn't check that resource inventory can be upgraded? It's pretty clearly marked in crafting under the carry capacity tab. If they can figure out that ammo inventory can be upgraded then surely they can for the rest. Crafting is briefly explained early on itself.

I can't think of any game that explicitly tells player that there is an option to increase inventory size when you run out of space. Since increasing inventory size is such a common mechanic in any game with inventory management.

Mifune

Mehmber

I hope they leave that one alone. There is a whole section of Crafting called Carry Capacity. If people missed that it's on them. We don't need games telling you every single thing you can do in the menus.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Keep to the upper levels of that mission. Kill everyone up top and then sneakily kill all the enemies below from on high. Afterwards, wait for the Corruptors to move near the log pile. Shoot when you're confident in your shot and it'll die guaranteed. There are two log piles I believe so you can kill both individually as opposed to lining up a miracle shot that takes them both out. You can opt for that or just slaughter them once you killed all human combatants. You're a high enough level to take them out. If you want to farm there should be Ravagers, Shellwalkers, Watchers, Snapmaws and Thunderjaws not too far off.

Theman2k

Question: I used "create job" on gathering resources for upgrading pouches. It was for boar bones, and it did nothing accept writing it in the quest menu.

It didn't gave me area of boars to hunt or a waypoint, and even boars i killed while having the quest didn't drop the bones i needed.

What am I missing?

Allonym

Is it really the game's fault that those people didn't check that resource inventory can be upgraded? It's pretty clearly marked in crafting under the carry capacity tab. If they can figure out that ammo inventory can be upgraded then surely they can for the rest. Crafting is briefly explained early on itself.

I can't think of any game that explicitly tells player that there is an option to increase inventory size when you run out of space. Since increasing inventory size is such a common mechanic in any game with inventory management.

Not even that, when you're crafting ammo, the game tells you that pouch upgrades are available.

Dabi

I hope you enjoy it. There's nothing quite as special as when something just clicks and acts as your gateway to a new genre.

Well... I'm hooked lol. I'm only 5 hours in so I haven't really touched the main quests thus far but I can already tell I'll be spending quite a bit of time playing this beauty.

Allonym

Question: I used "create job" on gathering resources for upgrading pouches. It was for boar bones, and it did nothing accept writing it in the quest menu.

It didn't gave me area of boars to hunt or a waypoint, and even boars i killed while having the quest didn't drop the bones i needed.

What am I missing?
Did you set it as the active quest? If so, it should pinpoint areas that hold what you need.

Kolx

So the game is sold out on Amazon. What is it with Sony underestimating the demand for their games. First Nioh and now this. Is this amazon faults, or is it Sony since they could supply the demand faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom