• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Level 26. 15 hrs. Not even close to Meridian. Having fun doing cauldrons, side quests and purchasing all the purple-rare weapons.

I ain't even mad or in any hurry to rush the story.

I favored melee and stealth skills and knocking down even Sawtooths with heavy attacks is a cinch now. I'm only using the bow and arrow when absolutely needed. Having a great time Dark Souling it with the dodge rolls.

Is there a bow in the game that shoots explosive shots/arrows? I'm need some ingredients for the Shadow War Bow but I just wanted to know but if not that would suck. I feel like none of Aloy's weapons pack a suitable punch unless they're scavenged from a machine.
Yes the sharpshot bow shoots tearblast arrows which explode and knock off armor.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And you can't enter houses in Horizon... What's your point? No game has full physics, even battlefield 1.

We're just taking about grass and water physics which were done many times before and which trigger all the time in the game. I'm also saying it's not a big deal, just shy of perfection on that front.
I'm talking about your sentence about how lifelike The Witcher 3 is and how the lack of interactivity of the grass throws you out of the experience with Horizon.

I just think it's amusing that a fully static world where nothing ever changes didn't do that. If you now say it's not a big deal, then that is different, but that's not what I responded to.

Level 26. 15 hrs. Not even close to Meridian. Having fun doing cauldrons, side quests and purchasing all the purple-rare weapons.

I favored melee and stealth skills and knocking down even Sawtooths with heavy attacks is a cinch now. I'm only using the bow and arrow when absolutely needed. Having a great time Dark Souling it with the dodge rolls.

Yea I'm playing this like I play an MMO... exploring everything, taking tons of screenshots, and doing every quest.

How do you know how long you've played?

Says in 26% through and I'm level 20. Just hit the capital but theres a few side quests here to finish off before I take the story further.

mileS

Do you have the long and short roll skill? I was wondering how much of a game changer that would be.

Stiler

There is an option to do that. It's like the 3rd open you see as soon as you go to options menu.

Err, i know, I have it turned off (along with about everything else on the hud, etc).

However when you use a waypoint and don't "track" a quest, the game keeps popping up every so often telling to track "x" quest if you have no actively tracked one.

Since I like to just use a waypoint instead of tracking a quest this is annoying.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yes the sharpshot bow shoots tearblast arrows which explode and knock off armor.

Yea, I'm aware of that but I meant like explosive AND deal damage. Sorry for being vague. I'm assuming not then, considering from what I saw, the Hunter Bow is a debuffer type weapon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay I have 100/100 resources and I've sold everything that is only "sellable to merchants". What the hell do I do?

benny_a

Yea, I'm aware of that but I meant like explosive AND deal damage. Sorry for being vague. I'm assuming not then, considering from what I saw, the Hunter Bow is a debuffer type weapon.
By applying that debuff to the correct component on a machine you have your explosion built in.

Of course you can use the blast sling or blast tripwire if you want real explosions, but they aren't delivered via arrows.

Okay I have 100/100 resources and I've sold everything that is only "sellable to merchants". What the hell do I do?

I sell the materials that are tradeable for gear to merchants as well if I already bought the corresponding gear (e.g watcher heart).

And I drop ridge-wood usually cause I have like 1500.

I love this game but the AI is really super dumb.
Don't know about dumb (well, human enemies maybe) but it is pretty forgiving. Then again the fighting can be pretty tricky at times and I appreciate a little help even if it means AI lets you off the hook sometimes. But for me that's completely fine. This isn't a hunting sim.

X-Frame

I'm getting close to this. I started selling a lot of the Lens in Green quality as I don't think I'm going to be needing them anymore since I'm not buying Green outfits or Green weapons. I had a lot of them stacked up. Otherwise, I just started getting rid of resources where I had an absolute ton of and kept a healthy amount. Now I'm having around 75 slots.

I wish more resources stacked more than just 5 or 10 -- it is a bit annoying to see the same resource taking up 5-6 slots because the stacks only go up to 5.

Skux

I wish you could sort items by class. It seems a bit silly not being able to put your different bows of the same type next to each other to compare them. And the icons are so similar I get hunter bows, sharpshot bows and war bows mixed up all the time.

Yeah there isn't really an explode and damage arrow. If you're taking on the mechs with the hunter bow I recommend using the fire and hardpoint arrows. Some of them have fuel tanks that will explode.

leng jai

Wow I only just noticed that there were "quests" for you weapons. Stupid how you have to actually activate them instead of it just being organically completed while you do other stuff.

Whew. Took me quite a while to get blazing sun in the Freeze Trial. I actually completed it at one point with an exact time of 1:30, but only got a full sun. The main problem is with how quickly Striders spook and run away, luckily they tend to group up afterwards. I eventually stopped trying to shoot the canisters after they were frozen, and just did a hard melee hit instead. I think my final time ended up being 1:21.

These hunting trials are actually a lot of fun. The reward boxes are lame, but whatever. My blazing suns give me a sense of accomplishment.

benny_a

I have about 2k shards, still with the starting bow. Should I go for the shadow stuff?
Yup.

These hunting trials are actually a lot of fun. The reward boxes are lame, but whatever. My blazing suns give me a sense of accomplishment.
They also teach you how to take down different machines, which was a surprise to me. Only started doing them in my most recent session.

Whew. Took me quite a while to get blazing sun in the Freeze Trial. I actually completed it at one point with an exact time of 1:30, but only got a full sun. The main problem was with how quickly Striders spook and run away, luckily they tend to group up afterwards. I eventually stopped trying to shoot the canisters after they were frozen, and just did a hard melee hit instead. I think my final time ended up being 1:21.

If you complete all 15 of them you can redeem the suns for lodge weapons.

Jetman

Is there any way to traverse on the ridgeline where you first see Teb as a child running across the rocks? Came back there as adult Aloy, and usually stuff is easy to climb for her but I keep falling off. And the mountain is marked with yellow cloth and wood like you should be able to climb it. It's southeast of the westmost campsite in the opening area.

Edit: got up there. Waste of time, nothing up there but a deadly fall back to the ground lol

X-Frame

I have about 2k shards, still with the starting bow. Should I go for the shadow stuff?

The Shadow Hunter Bow and the Shadow Snapshot Bow are wonderful purchases to get. Those 2 never leave my inventory in-game, whereas the other 2 slots I'll usually swap out depending upon the situation.

As far as Armor, I'd recommend the Stealth Armor, which is great for just exploring throughout the world and not getting into fights you don't want.

TheFatMan

Am I just being stupid or is there a way to drop items like rocks and ridge wood?

I have a shit ton of treasure boxes I can't clear cuz of these items.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Vanilla bow, some say upgrade to shadow stuff? What weapon is this exactly?

They also teach you how to take down different machines, which was a surprise to me. Only started doing them in my most recent session.
Yeah, that too! I'll be a lot more confident going into my next battle with a Bellowback after the Shock Trial. I've been sleeping on bombs/slingshots up until now.

WarrenD

I can't believe how good this game is. It's such fun.

I'd also like to shout out to a great design choice. When following someone they match your pace. Walk and they walk at that speed, sprint and they sprint with you. So much better than the normal forced walking.

Zackat

Vanilla bow, some say upgrade to shadow stuff? What weapon is this exactly?
You should aim to get all 3 of the purple bows. One of them probably has shadow in the name so that is what people are talking about.

With the 3 purple bows + purple ropecaster you can take pretty much anything.

sobaka770

Banned
I'm talking about your sentence about how lifelike The Witcher 3 is and how the lack of interactivity of the grass throws you out of the experience with Horizon.

I just think it's amusing that a fully static world where nothing ever changes didn't do that. If you now say it's not a big deal, then that is different, but that's not what I responded to.

I literally just finished Witcher 3 (finally) a week ago so, the grass thing did jump out, simple as that.

On a separate note, are quest levels even remotely accurate? Feels so random sometimes, I went to first cauldron at level 15 instead of suggested 8 and it was really tough. (That being said leveling up is not very powerful)

Skux

I literally just finished Witcher 3 (finally) a week ago so, the grass thing did jump out, simple as that.

On a separate note, are quest levels even remotely accurate? Feels so random sometimes, I went to first cauldron at level 15 instead of suggested 8 and it was really tough. (That being said leveling up is not very powerful)

Yeah levels aren't really the same thing as in most RPGs, since you don't actually have stats apart from health. They only thing they gate is your skill points.

Yoshichan

You should aim to get all 3 of the purple bows. One of them probably has shadow in the name so that is what people are talking about.

With the 3 purple bows + purple ropecaster you can take pretty much anything.
3 bows, is shadow sling one of them?

MaKTaiL

The amount of different enemies in close proximity to each other near the
Tallneck in the top left part of the desert
is ridiculous. Had to stealth the shit out of that to get to it haha. There were
Sawtooths, Redeye Watchers, Bellowbacks, Longlegs, Ravagers, Rockbreakers
all right there. Madness.
I ran like hell on that part, didn't even explore the area much, hahaha. I just wanted to clear the fog as soon as possible. I'll go back there eventually.

Hunter Bow, War Bow and Sharpshooter Bow.

benny_a

Hunter Bow
War Bow
Sharpshooter Bow

If you have limited funds I would go with what you don't already have for the additional arrow types and then upgrade the bows you already have to the purple variant.

War Bow is not super necessary at the start if you already have an elemental sling, IMO.

So that's my progression for bows: Sharpshooter -> Hunter -> War Bow

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why does it say I'm maxed on some items, but they don't show at the vendor to sell?

Yoshichan

Hunter Bow
War Bow
Sharpshooter Bow

If you have limited funds I would go with what you don't already have for the additional arrow types and then upgrade the bows you already have to the purple variant.

War Bow is not super necessary at the start if you already have an elemental sling, IMO.

So that's my progression for bows: Sharpshooter -> Hunter -> War Bow
Wait, upgrade my bows? How? Did I miss something?

III-V

I seem to be 100% stuck inside a
cauldron fighting some new fire enemy. My attacks do next to no damage, I have littered the place with traps, resist potions, etc. I guess I will have to lower the difficulty to get past it :/

It sucks, I usually set it on hard and keep it, but aside from falling back to a previous save, there seems to be no way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom