• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run into - I mean, from - my first Thunderjaw

Damn, they're scary. Actually compels me to sneak my way through the world until I get clear

17103317_1432227290129138_7536422767677965525_n.jpg

I wish I had hit the 'Share' button last night when I ran into my first Warbird. Dear lord, those things + a pack of Glinterhawks are RELENTLESS. This game is just fantastic - no matter how empowered I feel through the game's RPG systems, the enemies are constant threats. Love it.

I think R1 should be another weapon (or item) wheel. Use R2 as the only melee button. Tap for light attack and hold for heavy. Leave the dpad only for healing type items and put the traps on a wheel. Or have multiple pages for the wheel that you cycle through with R1 or R2.

Neonep

I think R1 should be another weapon (or item) wheel. Use R2 as the only melee button. Tap for light attack and hold for heavy. Leave the dpad only for healing type items and put the traps on a wheel. Or have multiple pages for the wheel that you cycle through with R1 or R2.
This sounds like a horrible idea.

Nesotenso

can you have multiple ammo types with the same weapon ? can I swap out fire ammos with another ammo? I am trying to switch my trip caster with blast ammo

man, this is some bullshit though. why does it have to be rng

Yeah, on one hand, it'd be nice to be guaranteed a heart. On the other hand, I get why they don't want you getting everything at once, and they are fun as hell to take down.

If this were an RPG with random battles, it'd be more frustrating since I couldn't simply track down the enemies I want to fight.

I'm just amazed by how much wildlife runs around without skin or bones.

Woah.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think the lack of interaction with grass and water in Horizon is actually quite noticeable, which is a shame. This is the main thing which makes the Witcher feel more lifelike and sometimes throws me out of the experience. It's especially weird since the trees are destructible..
Not a single wheat sack or anything part of the scenery in the Witcher 3 can be destroyed, moved, fall over or does anything that makes it move even a single inch ever no matter the forces involved. Talk about obvious and lifelike there.

can you have multiple ammo types with the same weapon ? can I swap out fire ammos with another ammo? I am trying to switch my trip caster with blast ammo
Each weapon has at least two but from what I can tell they are specific ammo types. For example the Sharpshot has Tear and Precision but the Carja Mighty Bow has Hunter and Fire arrows. So you need a wide selection of weapons to get the best options for taking down prey.
The trip caster can get blast ammo but I believe you have to upgrade the ammo pack for it.

nOoblet16

Question: I used "create job" on gathering resources for upgrading pouches. It was for boar bones, and it did nothing accept writing it in the quest menu.

It didn't gave me area of boars to hunt or a waypoint, and even boars i killed while having the quest didn't drop the bones i needed.

What am I missing?

Did you set it as the active quest? If so, it should pinpoint areas that hold what you need.
It won't pinpoint areas if it's an animal since unlike robots animals don't have a specific area where you'll always find them.

Kurumi

Same. I don't know how many raccoons I've killed just to get one skin from them. It's all I need. I guess the game thinks I need more animal talismans and bones instead.

Mupod

this cauldron area is ruining whatever fun I was having with this game. Why are there instakill invisible death zones everywhere? I just got past an area with 10+ enemies and have had to repeat it 3 times because the game is arbitrarily killing me for no reason. They're not even pits, just areas I'm walking to and bam dead.

Nesotenso

Each weapon has at least two but from what I can tell they are specific ammo types. For example the Sharpshot has Tear and Precision but the Carja Mighty Bow has Hunter and Fire arrows. So you need a wide selection of weapons to get the best options for taking down prey.
The trip caster can get blast ammo but I believe you have to upgrade the ammo pack for it.

yeah I thought you could switch them out. Have to buy all the weapons then. Thanks.

Theman2k

• Wants weapon
  • Doesn't have material
  • Creates job to get trampler hearts
  • Takes down three tramplers
  • Receives no hearts

iaintevenmad.jpg

It won't pinpoint areas if it's an animal since unlike robots animals don't have a specific area where you'll always find them.

So the feautre is useless, if you can't use it animals, and the use on robots it does show don't guarantee the loot... what's the point ??

valkyre

I am a bit confused as to how vendors work in this game. I am well passed the starting area and it seems that all vendors sell the same weapons. Sure i encountered vendors that sell better (purple) stuff but they are all the same everywhre and it seems that i cant find better ones anywhere. Am i doing something wrong?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I am a bit confused as to how vendors work in this game. I am well passed the starting area and it seems that all vendors sell the same weapons. Sure i encountered vendors that sell better (purple) stuff but it seems that i cant find better ones anywhere. Am i doing something wrong?
This game isn't traditionally RPG when it comes to loot. Different weapons exist to unlock different arrow types and get more modifications slots.

You're basically supposed to have every weapon type in one rarity class in your inventory, as well as outfits, for the different situations you plan on tackling.

Badgerst3

I'm six hours in before
going to the Proving.
Taking my time and enjoying this.
So the rope caster. How do you use it exactly? One shot to the target and that's it or am I taking a second shot at the ground? Having trouble completing its tutorial quest. Felt like I've been rope casting them but it says 0/3.

Struggled with this to. Finally just sought out weak ass striders and learned I needed 2 seperate shots to attach them to the ground and pass the tutorial. One shot didn't seem to do it.

nOoblet16

Same. I don't know how many raccoons I've killed just to get one skin from them. It's all I need. I guess the game thinks I need more animal talismans and bones instead.
Use a harvest arrow to kill and you'll find a rare/very rare within 5 kills or so. That's what those arrows are for.

Falchion

About 5 hours in now,
just beat the machine that could corrupt Striders and am getting ready to venture out of the Embrace.
This game is so damn addicting.

WHOA, didnt realize Geralt's VO voiced random NPCs in the game.

That's awesome! Going to have to track that down.

Gradly

So the feautre is useless, if you can't use it animals, and the use on robots it does show don't guarantee the loot... what's the point ??

Yea but basically it's there to just keep track of things you wanna upgrade especially sometimes you get the part but you end up upgrading something else

jwhit28

Can someone tell me when you see
Varl
again after the
Metal Ring
. I thought he would be at Mother's Crown.

EGM1966

So the game is sold out on Amazon. What is it with Sony underestimating the demand for their games. First Nioh and now this. Is this amazon faults, or is it Sony since they could supply the demand faster?
Technically that's more likely to be Amazon's as they would have to decide themselves how much to order from Sony to fufil initial demand for the launch spike before moving on to replenishment based on sales.

I'm guessing the game saw a spike in demand with the good reviews/WOM and Amazon had judged low based on how pre-orders were looking at that point.

Or alternatively Sony simply couldn't allocate more to Amazon from the stock they decided to manufacture.

4 or 5 hours in and holy shit. Wasn't expecting this quality to be honest. Already did like two or three "The Witcher 3 sidequests", pretty good. The graphics are amazing, even on a OG PS4.

I agree fully, my wife has a OG PS4 and I've got a Pro, and while yes the Pro does look better, the OG still looks so good its silly.

It's also kinda of shocking how finely tuned and well the game runs. There's no excuse pushing out a half finished product anymore for AAA games, IMO. Horizon sets a new standard.

sobaka770

Banned
Not a single wheat sack or anything part of the scenery in the Witcher 3 can be destroyed, moved, fall over or does anything that makes it move even a single inch ever no matter the forces involved. Talk about obvious and lifelike there.

And you can't enter houses in Horizon... What's your point? No game has full physics, even battlefield 1.

We're just taking about grass and water physics which were done many times before and which trigger all the time in the game. I'm also saying it's not a big deal, just shy of perfection on that front.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Is there a bow in the game that shoots explosive shots/arrows? I'm need some ingredients for the Shadow War Bow but I just wanted to know but if not that would suck. I feel like none of Aloy's weapons pack a suitable punch unless they're scavenged from a machine.

Technically that's more likely to be Amazon's as they would have to decide themselves how much to order from Sony to fufil initial demand for the launch spike before moving on to replenishment based on sales.

I'm guessing the game saw a spike in demand with the good reviews/WOM and Amazon had judged low based on how pre-orders were looking at that point.

Or alternatively Sony simply couldn't allocate more to Amazon from the stock they decided to manufacture.

I'm thinking it had pre-orders along the lines of a typical AAA ala Assassin's Creed, and then because of the explosion in review and WOM it has exceeded expectations significantly.

I mean just based off my screenshots I share to Facebook and my effusive praise for the game, I have 5 friends who have now bought it, and they are going off about how good it is. It's like a virus, lol.

EGM1966

They're robots!

Yeah I know - this is literally my only gripe with the game thus far. Overall it's way exceeded my expectations but killing animal after animal that clearly has a visible skin to not get said skin just feels dumb.

Devs - don't make stuff random that your eye/brain knows perfectly well must be there every time in reality. Make skins/bones/meat a given every time and pick something else to be random that makes sense.

Or make sure traders have those parts for those willing to cough up dough.

But please don't make this kind of trivial thing a chore: particularly when every other aspect of your game is terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom