• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that dies constantly on hard? I always overestimate how many and which machines I can feasibly take on.

Hard has been just right for me. I have thought about bumping it up in difficulty if I end up way too over leveled but so far it's good.

If you have issues with multiple machines, especially large ones, you should try overriding and having them fight for you

SXz6FM3.gif

Are you luring us and you pulled this gif from the avatar movie?
:p

I watched a hunter run as he was chased by a Longleg. I was going to help when I realized the hunter was leading the Longleg into a trap! The Longleg set off an exploding trap, and other hunters came from the bushes and finished it off!

Goddamn that was incredible.

So I've did everything there is to in this game and obtained the platinum today. So I've had some time to think and have reached a conclusion that Aloy is one of the best characters we've seen in recent years, everything about her from her design, to her voice, her behaviour and her animations are just so charming that. Usually there is always some negative points to a character but in her case I can't find any.

Really hope they keep her for the following games.

Yep i love her .
Also don't know why but i just love her red hair maybe it's the game gfx .

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I watched a hunter run as he was chased by a Longleg. I was going to help when I realized the hunter was leading the Longleg into a trap! The Longleg set off an exploding trap, and other hunters came from the bushes and finished it off!

Super cool!

All I've seen are hunters that were getting killed, or the guards that have done the killing.

One Banuk wanderer was killed right in front of my eyes by bandits which was sad as I was too late.

i wonder how many polygons is Aloy. The Polycount of Delsin in Infamous: Second Son was 120k polys which is tremendous for an open world game (you can see his individual teeth in close ups), The Order 1886 Galahad around 200K polys, Quantic Dream Dark Sorcerer was around 1 million polys.
The Thunderjaw is 550K polys which is unbelievable for open world (more than CGI Final Fantasy Aki Ross which was 500K at that time) and you get many thunderjaws tallnecks,watchers, animals trees etc ine one scene.
I bet Aloy has a huge polycount too.

Damn that's pretty awesome. My coolest hunter encounter was:

I saw a
Stormbird
in the distance fighting some hunters. They looked to being doing pretty well so I started sprinting over there. By the time I got there, all of them had been killed. A short while later, I too was killed.

I will never help hunters again.

Damn that's pretty awesome. My coolest hunter encounter was:

I saw a
Stormbird
in the distance fighting some hunters. They looked to being doing pretty well so I started sprinting over there. By the time I got there, all of them had been killed. A short while later, I too was killed.

I will never help hunters again.
Lmao!! Saw them fighting a thunder jaw you think I helped..hell naw

rec0ded1

Encountered and took down my first thunderjaw.
thought I was royally fucked until I noticed disc launchers. Rekt him with his own weapons lol

Styles

Just took down my first Thunderjaw and holyyyyyy; the elation I felt afterwards is up there with some of best Soulsbourne bosses.

AEREC

I feel like this game is finally clicking after 10 hours or so. After struggling with some of the bigger robo-dinos, Im finally realizing you really have to utilize multiple weapons to take them down easier (playing on Hard).

It's true that the game is gorgeous as well, but I wish the fog wouldn't roll in so much. I know fog is realistic but it always reminds me of those old 3D games where it was used to hide LOD issues and keep performance solid.

Enjoying the game so far. I really love how gorgeous the loaded areas of the world are. The animations for just about everything are slick and sexy. Combat is typically really enjoyable but sometimes I feel like it's extremely unbalanced. It's kinda outrageous to have to plan around taking down this one really big bad ass enemy that can 2 shot you and then all of a sudden a flock of fucking eagles plop down into the fight and it wasn't really something that was avoidable. Also man the hit boxes that some of the enemies have are flat out broken. Namely the rock breaker/crusher or w/e it's called. Taking down my first thunderjaw was pure elation. I really wish it was easier to isolate these larger enemies.

The world design is outstanding, specifically meridian and the Carja areas. Bro the moon at night? Gorgeous.

TheFatMan

The area around Meridian is amazing. I swear no part of this game looks copied from another, every valley canyon and cliff reveals new cool shit to look at and explore.

I'm continually blown away by this game.

The fact that we live in a world where this and Zelda Breath of the Wild came out in the same week is a god damn testament to gaming.

abundant

Encountered and took down my first thunderhead.
thought I was royally fucked until I noticed disc launchers. Rely him with his own weapons lol

It's kind of funny. At first you think the Thunderjaw is the most dangerous robot in the game, then you knock off its disc launcher and you soon realize just how easy it is to destroy them.

Ulong

Late game robot part question: The description for
Deathbringer
hearts claims that merchants will want them to trade for gear, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case is it? There are no new weapons or armor that require these parts.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's true that the game is gorgeous as well, but I wish the fog wouldn't roll in so much. I know fog is realistic but it always reminds me of those old 3D games where it was used to hide LOD issues and keep performance solid.
You need to recalibrate for current gen, fog the way it's used in Horizon is computationally expensive. It's not a draw distance hack like on N64 up to PS2.

Well, just finished the last cauldron, have all the shadow weapons and the Nora protector heavy armor. Suppose it's time to go to meridian.....

Really hope I didn't ruin the game for myself

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Really enjoying the game so far, BUT I really wish GG would give us a FOV option.

I do find the camera to be to close to Aloy, and it throws me off at times.

abundant

Well, just finished the last cauldron, have all the shadow weapons and the Nora protector heavy armor. Suppose it's time to go to meridian.....

Really hope I didn't ruin the game for myself

Even with max gear and the ability to override everything, you'll still find some challenge because the game is mostly about strategy and skill, not about what level you are.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Every time I turn the game on it ends up being a 5-6 hour session when I was only planning 1-2. It keeps getting better.

Dany

Banned
Olin story spoiler

is that captain Anderson that's calling me on my focus!?! No wait, or I'd it the dude from fringe

I'm level 40 and just started with the Meridian stuff :p

Yeah, I'm 30. The game is just soooooo much fun to go out and explore. I would legit play an MMO that was just this, with friends, and they add some new areas and robots every couple months. It's really good.

Even with max gear and the ability to override everything, you'll still find some challenge because the game is mostly about strategy and skill, not about what level you are.

Good deal. I realized that early on. I struggled with some of the enemies but I wasn't using all the tools available. Trip/ropecaster for life

For life.

Gorillaz

That's the one thing that this game does well that I liked about. You can still be caught slipping in some of these fights. Reminds me of Souls at times with how you can get an ego check easily.

That's the one thing that this game does well that I liked about. You can still be caught slipping in some of these fights. Reminds me of Souls at times with how you can get an ego check easily.

100% agree. I'm playing on hard and it feels just right. You leverage poor strategy or mess up a dodge, it's one or two hits and you're done.

Are the hunting challenges worth doing? Do you get anything unique or worthwhile?

Skeletron

Yeah, I'm 30. The game is just soooooo much fun to go out and explore. I would legit play an MMO that was just this, with friends, and they add some new areas and robots every couple months. It's really good.

Good deal. I realized that early on. I struggled with some of the enemies but I wasn't using all the tools available. Trip/ropecaster for life

For life.
I still haven't quite worked out how to be good at combat. Do you use the ropecaster to tie down all the enemies then pick them off one by one? How many ropes does it take to immobilize an enemy? Which bows should I equip?

AudioEppa

Can't wait for it to be over?

I'll give this as a early review. The game has a similarity to the last of us for me. For the last few days all my focus has been on Horizon. Putting in long hours trying to beat the story along with doing a few side quest. My mind is on horizon overload, but I can't stop playing. Last couple of nights when I turn off the PS4 I think I'm hearing one of those masters from the game, when it's really just some random noise outside lol

I remember two weeks of after completing last of us I felt like I was still hearing clickers.. When I'm enjoying a game's story, I totally get wrapped up into it.

Spacebar

How do I find more side quests? I'm level 20 and have only completed 3. Do they randomly show up on the map or do I need to speak to certain people?

I still haven't quite worked out how to be good at combat. Do you use the ropecaster to tie down all the enemies then pick them off one by one? How many ropes does it take to immobilize an enemy? Which bows should I equip?

It's all enemy based so you need to adjust strategies accordingly. For example, Scrappers overload if you shoot the battery in the back so I always try to start off with that and chain multiple explosions using shock arrows.

I use ropecaster if there are multiple large enemies and I need to focus on just one or two.

On very hard, most of my combat is based around positioning. For damage, I fire the appropriate elemental arrow on the enemy cannisters to trigger explosions. If they are armored enemies or the cannisters is well hidden, I switch up to shock arrows and traps and rely on critical hits.

Lots of different ways to tackle combat so be sure to experiment until you find your rythym.

100% agree. I'm playing on hard and it feels just right. You leverage poor strategy or mess up a dodge, it's one or two hits and you're done.

Are the hunting challenges worth doing? Do you get anything unique or worthwhile?

You get loads of exp and 3 weapons if you get all 15 blazing suns .

Novocaine

I came into the generation pretty jaded on the open world formula. I'm happy to say that between this and Sunset Overdrive my faith has been restored.

I hope that Guerilla can nail it again. Can't see any way this isn't getting a sequel.

Sanctuary

People won't appreciate the rope caster until they have 2 bellow backs,5 grazers and a sawtooth simultaneously breathing fire and ice,charging and lounging at You in the darkness of night. That thing comes in handy.

Why would you ever get caught in a situation like that? Running away and then picking them off is faster and safer too. The hell are the Grazers going to do anyway? They almost never attack unless you've attacked one of them first. They typically all just run away. Bellowbacks don't do much other than spit easy to dodge projectiles, and Sawtooths go down in under 10s. On Very Hard.
Fire Arrows completely own them.

You've got to be kidding me... and I JUST bought all the ones I thought would get me through the rest of the game...

EDIT: Did you not just say they were better than vendors?

They are, but not by so much that it will obviously be better than the vendor versions at all. The weapons you get, I barely used to begin with anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom