• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started this up last night. Been at it just under 3 hours and killed my first Sawtooth. Playing on very hard because I really want a challenge on this one. So far the game is a blast and of course gorgeous to look at. Wish I had a Pro and 4k TV but it's amazing what even the standard PS4 on a standard HDMI TV can do.

Really excited to dig deeper into this. Also, Aloy is a real pleasure to play as and she really latches onto you quick.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Am I the only one that dies constantly on hard? I always overestimate how many and which machines I can feasibly take on.
I've died relatively often, but I've upgraded my gear with mods and purple variants and use traps better and now I'm considering bumping it to Very Hard as it's getting too easy.

You just need to weather the storm, or reduce the difficulty. I always tweak games for maximum enjoyment and having a real sense of danger in the world is why I like this game.

They're pretty easy to farm with
fire arrows and shock armor
. They drop three purple mods/weaves.

Maybe soon. On very hard, I got it down to about half life before it kicked my ass. Think I need to prepare before hand as opposed to just stumble upon it by accident.

Sanctuary

So the day/night cycle was bugging the shit out of me since I first started playing, and it seemed like it would go through a complete 24 hour period in less than thirty minutes. Finally timed it, and one in game hour is exactly one minute real time. What the fuck is that? Fifteen to sixteen minutes of daylight at best?

Also, I don't really understand how "damage" and "tear" are supposed to work. Not in the sense that I've been having troubles using specific weapons for specific tasks, simply how the game calculates it.

With my Shadow Hunter Bow for example that has all damage mods, my Hardpoint Arrows show 63 Damage, 98 Tear. My Shadow Sharpshot Bow Precision Arrows on the other hand only have 54 Damage, 69 Tear, yet they do almost double the actual damage compared to the Hardpoint.

Another thing is that I have yet to find a legitimate use for the Warbow, other than occasional
corruption
. It seems pointless for both shock and freeze. Even when you have good freeze or shock mods, it takes an eternity to land the status effect compared to using the Sling, and especially compared to the Rattler. It's my least used weapon next to the Ropecaster. Does anyone actually get any real use from the Ropecaster either? By the time it takes to actually get something pinned down...for a whole single shot until it breaks (wheee!), I could have already taken a machine to half health or less.

I also carry two Shadow Hunter Bows. One with all 46% - 50% damage, and the other with 48% - 50% fire. The fire version especially has seen the most use overall I think. It just wreaks so many enemies.

Skux

Does anyone actually get any real use from the Ropecaster either? By the time it takes to actually get something pinned down...for a whole single shot until it breaks (wheee!), I could have already taken a machine to half health or less.

The ropecaster is for disabling enemies while you take down other ones. Attacking a ropecasted enemy will reduce the timer.

J-Skee

DLC Armor bug is real lol

I tested it against a Sawtooth and with other armor equipped he takes 50% of my max hp per attack. But with the armor, he only takes like 8-10% per attack.

No wonder Hard isn't hard enough.

Wait, it's a bug? No wonder why when I tried other armor with similar stats, it didn't register similar damage.

Renmyra

Another thing is that I have yet to find a legitimate use for the Warbow, other than occasional
corruption
. It seems pointless for both shock and freeze. Even when you have good freeze or shock mods, it takes an eternity to land the status effect compared to using the Sling, and especially compared to the Rattler. It's my least used weapon next to the Ropecaster. Does anyone actually get any real use from the Ropecaster either? By the time it takes to actually get something pinned down...for a whole single shot until it breaks (wheee!), I could have already taken a machine to half health or less.

Elemental Arrows are mostly useful for exploding canisters/cells/whatever they're called. Some robots are weak to certain elements (Stalkers get stunned by 2 Shock Arrows). Fire Arrows are probably the most practical outside of gimmicks since burn does a lot of damage to basically all machines.

I only use Ropecaster for birds. It's even less useful when you upgrade your heavy attack.

Ropecaster getting slept on. Must be playing on normal Xp. Take on 4-5 threats at a time and tell me that thing is useless again especially the shadow one

Dinda

btw, did you guys buy the maps from the merchants that reveal all those collectible stuff? I bought them at the first merchant thinking it would show me a few in close range, but it reavealed them all over the place, so i loaded an old save before i bought them to find that stuff myself.

However now i'm thinking about buying them again, i don't care for completion etc, but i would like to find most of the story stuff like the vantages while i'm still on my regular playthrough.

Question for those who beat the game, I haven't yet, but this is pretty deep into the main quest.

I just got to a vent and Sylens mentions that this is a point of no return. Will I be able after this mission to complete all sidequests and errands or should I do everything first before I go in?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Question for those who beat the game, I haven't yet, but this is pretty deep into the main quest.

I just got to a vent and Sylens mentions that this is a point of no return. Will I be able after this mission to complete all sidequests and errands or should I do everything first before I go in?
Yeah. I dunno why he says that.

MaKTaiL

btw, did you guys buy the maps from the merchants that reveal all those collcetible stuff? I bought them at the first merchant thinking it would show me a few in close range, but it reavealed them all over the place, so i loaded an old save before i bought them to find that stuff myself.

However now i'm thinking about buying them again, i don't care for completion etc, but i would like to find most of the story stuff like the vantages while i'm still on my regular playthrough.
It doesn't feature all collectables though, only the ones from the three sets that you can trade for stuff on Meridian. Audio logs, text logs, etc are not revealed.

Dinda

It doesn't feature all collectables though, only the ones from the three sets that you can trade for stuff on Meridian. Audio logs, text logs, etc are not revealed.

Oh ok, does it show the actual position or a general area where it is supposed to be somewhere? Would you recommend to buy them?

nashman

Game is awesome having a blast! A few small complaints thou.

- in the E3 demo last year the trees were destrucable not now

- the crafting/inventory system is a bit of a chore seems like filler. Can't pick up a rare mod because my mod satchel is full so need a raccoon bone to craft a bigger one,that only drops 1 out of ten raccoons you kill then I can't pickup that raccoon bone because my resource satchel is full arghhhhh

nOoblet16

So the day/night cycle was bugging the shit out of me since I first started playing, and it seemed like it would go through a complete 24 hour period in less than thirty minutes. Finally timed it, and one in game hour is exactly one minute real time. What the fuck is that? Fifteen to sixteen minutes of daylight at best?
Eh? What's odd about that? Seems pretty standard for games that have day/night cycle. I can't remember the last time a game had 1 day = 1 real hour...that is abnormally long actually.

If anything it's the transitions from night to day and clear weather to cloudy weather that feels jarring. More so because sometimes the TOD for a mission is set leading to an abrupt change that happens in seconds.

nOoblet16

- the crafting/inventory system is a bit of a chore seems like filler. Can't pick up a rare mod because my mod satchel is full so need a raccoon bone to craft a bigger one,that only drops 1 out of ten raccoons you kill then I can't pickup that raccoon bone because my resource satchel is full arghhhhh
They are destructible, not all but some of them and only big robots can break them or unless you have the Oseram canon which you only get in specific missions. Infact game has a lot of destructible objects for an open world game...Especially one that looks as good as this.

What you saw in E3 demo was probably one of those destructible trees carefully placed for the demo.

AngryMoth

Finally arrived in Meridian and done some exploring. My god, the game has been flawless performance wise until now but the pop-in here is the worst I've ever seen in a game (og PS4). Does everyone get this problem?

That aside, still loving the game. 15 hours in now and just picked up 6 new side quests...this is gonna take a while!

Just finished the whole Meridia quest, and some people says that quests and stories are bad? This is the closest to the best Witcher's stories that can find. Truly fantastic because while you do the quest you find so many stories on the way and spectacular battles.

What a game...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just finished the whole Meridia quest, and some people says that quests and stories are bad? This is the closest to the best Witcher's stories that can find. Truly fantastic because while you do the quest you find so many stories on the way and spectacular battles.

What a game...

I don't think people say they're bad, but the side quests definitely aren't as good.

Wagram

I noticed this as well, but I imagine it was probably to keep the game stable. If that is the case then that's 100% acceptable to me. Horizon needs to be commended for their graphical prowess and stability. They actually care unlike a lot of devs and or publishers.

benny_a

My god, the game has been flawless performance wise until now but the pop-in here is the worst I've ever seen in a game (og PS4). Does everyone get this problem?
Not generally. There is one object in Meridian that I had texture loading issues with twice, but other than that it's been great from that perspective for me.

JJShadow

Just completed my first cauldron (Sigma) and it felt like revisiting the Wrath of the Machine Raid from Destiny in terms of design and visuals lol

Loved it

Loudninja

I noticed this as well, but I imagine it was probably to keep the game stable. If that is the case then that's 100% acceptable to me. Horizon needs to be commended for their graphical prowess and stability. They actually care unlike a lot of devs and or publishers.
They are just yesterday a watcher knock down a damn tree lol.

I just dont think they all destructible.

benny_a

They are just yesterday a watcher knock down a damn tree lol.

I just dont think they all destructible.
Everything I've seen in the E3 gameplay videos I've seen in the game too. That's all the pre-release media I saw, so I don't know about other things but the E3 stuff has all been there.

Ricker

God I really wanna do the plot stuff but the motion sickness i get playing this is killing me

It happened a few time for me but nothing major...I think area that have a lot of grass and you can see forever does this because I dont always get it...just finished playing 2 hours and I was fine...its weird. (55 inch HDTV, 9 feet away).

I still think Death Stranding will surpass Horizon in terms of graphics eventhough they are based on same engine thanks to Kojima's team expertise with Fox Engine, their own good hair and character model tech and especially gaming techniques will evolve meanwhile before the game releases also especially if the game is developed by default on PS4 PRO then ported to PS4.

I love this gif:

5pX95Gr.gif

Where the Thunderjaw bumps into the tree and makes it lean and drops leaves, then it moves back and runs faster to get more momentum to break it. I think Horizon is the only open world game that has destructible natural environmental props like trees, rocks, shacks and other stuff.

We need more gifs like those showing trees, rocks shacks and other props destruction and non scripted physics like this:

From VanWinkle

source.gif

@SunhiLegend, your chance for another piece of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom