• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

Is there any disadvantage to heavier armour like making more noise or anything? Or should I just blow some shards on a heavy set

Styles

VA and facial animation for some NPCs are whack. Character models are insane however. Love the Carja's fashion; Arad's outfit looks absolutely ridiculous and I love it.

Oh and Erend's eyes pierce right into your soul, don't they?

Sanctuary

Elemental Arrows are mostly useful for exploding canisters/cells/whatever they're called. Some robots are weak to certain elements (Stalkers get stunned by 2 Shock Arrows). Fire Arrows are probably the most practical outside of gimmicks since burn does a lot of damage to basically all machines.

I only use Ropecaster for birds. It's even less useful when you upgrade your heavy attack.

Fire Arrows aren't with the Warbow, it's with your standard bow (and my most used arrow type too). The issue I have with using the Warbow to land elemental attacks (I guess it's actually not that bad with Freeze against a Thunderjaw) is that most of the enemies you want to land them on, you also want to close in on; so why use anything other than the Rattler, since it's close range and it effectively lands the status much sooner and without and real need for Concentration or precise aiming?

Eh? What's odd about that? Seems pretty standard for games that have day/night cycle. I can't remember the last time a game had 1 day = 1 real hour...that is abnormally long actually.

If anything it's the transitions from night to day and clear weather to cloudy weather that feels jarring. More so because sometimes the TOD for a mission is set leading to an abrupt change that happens in seconds.

The weather cycles are stupid (ever been inside of a cave that was raining from the ceiling?), but the day/night cycle is even worse. I can't remember the last open world game that I played where daylight was this short. Hell, almost every single time I do any of the Hunter trials, it's nighttime too, which makes them way more annoying than they should be.

The ropecaster is for disabling enemies while you take down other ones. Attacking a ropecasted enemy will reduce the timer.

Even with the best Ropecaster, it takes way too long to pin an enemy. You basically spend a bunch of time trying to pin one enemy "just in case" another happens by. Thing is, by the time the damn thing actually works, another enemy has roamed by (and you could have just killed the first one you roped). It doesn't work in the middle of a fight. It's preemptive junk. Besides that, there's the vastly superior option that works at any point. Why tie something down when you can just
make it fight for you
? Not talking about using the spear either.

Ropecaster getting slept on. Must be playing on normal Xp. Take on 4-5 threats at a time and tell me that thing is useless again especially the shadow one

Yeah, "must be", except I'm playing on Very Hard. I have the Lodge Version, and it's still shit.

You should aim to get all 3 of the purple bows. One of them probably has shadow in the name so that is what people are talking about.

With the 3 purple bows + purple ropecaster you can take pretty much anything.

I just read a guide that said to get multiple copies of the same bow, then load each one with 3 of the same elemental mod, for min max purposes. So like 1 shadow hunter bow with 3 flame mods, and 1 shadow hunter bow with 3 damage mods. Only use fire arrows with the fire bow, and only use damage arrows with the damage bow.

CHC

I just read a guide that said to get multiple copies of the same bow, then load each one with 3 of the same elemental mod, for min max purposes. So like 1 shadow hunter bow with 3 flame mods, and 1 shadow hunter bow with 3 damage mods. Only use fire arrows with the fire bow, and only use damage arrows with the damage bow.

Sounds like a great way to make the game very boring. I really like the weapon shuffle and using all kinds of traps, status effects, and movement impairing stuff on the bots. I guess I just don't see this as a game that really needs min / maxing.....

I like the warbow a lot actually. Not my most used weapon but comes in really handy when you need to stun a robot quick.

Triple notch plus shock arrows are working pretty great for me.

This game is dangerous for people with collecting issues - I simply can't stop myself from hunting some machine on the way to the target or get some resources from plants :D

rdytoroll

I don't know what happened, but for the first 5 - 7 hours or so I thought the game was just OK. Sure there were some cool moments and graphically it's great, but it didn't catch me somehow. I'm now 15 hours in and can't wait to play more. As soon as I reached the second part of the map, went to Meridian and got some better upgrades I had a lot more fun. The quality of the quests got much better imo and the new environments and machines are awesome. Still not a big fan of the hunting challenges tho, so I just don't do them at all.

reKon

Banned
IP28y6R.gif

Jesus Christ

Damn, I'm trying to hunt for a core and they just seems to not drop... I've hunted like 5 time the same machine and it's still not dropping. Want so much that major stealth armour !!!

SkylineRKR

This game exceeded my expectations, never believed Guerrilla would actually deliver a meaty play field with good writing on top of it. But they did. I love it. Best game they've made and currently one of my favourite PS4 games along with BB and Witcher. Judging from other players I don't think it'll take a nosedive later on.

I wish the game didn't kock arrow types to bow 'types'. It makes it harder for me to choose my weapon loudout which already limited to only four.

It doesn' make any sense either. Why can't someone use certain arrow type in other bows? Not sure how did GG come up with the idea.

nOoblet16

I love this gif:

Where the Thunderjaw bumps into the tree and makes it lean and drops leaves, then it moves back and runs faster to get more momentum to break it. I think Horizon is the only open world game that has destructible natural environmental props like trees, rocks, shacks and other stuff.

We need more gifs like those showing trees, rocks shacks and other props destruction and non scripted physics like this:

@SunhiLegend, your chance for another piece of art.
Farcry games do it too. Farcry 2 especially is unmatched till this day in terms of interactivity with foliage in an open world game.

-Grass burns and fire propogates with the wind
-Big trees shake and leaves fall off if there is an explosion, small ones just break apart and fall with actual physics
-If you shoot a branch it'll break off exactly where you shoot and the tree would regenerate that branch in real time
-Most of the foliage including grass would physically react to player/vehicle by accurately bending and moving out of the way...Etc etc.

And the impressive thing was that these were rare since the game was jam packed with foliage. FC3 and FC4 were a big step back but they still retained some of the stuff.

Honestly, FC2 was a masterpiece way ahead of its time marred by some questionably design choices (enemies who chased you were faster than you and too many of those, guns jammed a bit too frequently, checkpoints would repopulate almost instantly). But till date no other game has attempted what it did and achieve i.e. portraying a very real and very harsh environment and allowing players to use it as a sandbox.

Ferrio

Banned
I wish the game didn't kock arrow types to bow 'types'. It makes it harder for me to choose my weapon loudout which already limited to only four.

It doesn' make any sense either. Why can't someone use certain arrow type in other bows? Not sure how did GG come up with the idea.

You answered your own question.

I noticed this as well, but I imagine it was probably to keep the game stable. If that is the case then that's 100% acceptable to me. Horizon needs to be commended for their graphical prowess and stability. They actually care unlike a lot of devs and or publishers.

Hey, I saw some robots follow me into the woods, destroying trees in their way, and I'm only on normal PS4 too!

nOoblet16

Did someone keep Far Cry 2 running for 9 years pointed at the tree to find that out? :p
Lol...When I say real time I mean it grows gradually to full length and you can see the growth if you stay there for a short while. Obviously it's sped up and exaggerated. I didn't mean real time as in according to real world time.

Name me one other game that does this...Crazy !
https://youtu.be/-B3g49P6mj0

Farcry games do it too. Farcry 2 especially is unmatched till this day in terms of interactivity with foliage in an open world game.

-Grass burns and fire propogates with the wind
-Big trees shake and leaves fall off if there is an explosion, small ones just break apart and fall with actual physics
-If you shoot a branch it'll break off exactly where you shoot and the tree would regenerate that branch in real time
-Most of the foliage including grass would physically react to player/vehicle by accurately bending and moving out of the way...Etc etc.

And the impressive thing was that these were rare since the game was jam packed with foliage. FC3 and FC4 were a big step back but they still retained some of the stuff.

Honestly, FC2 was a masterpiece way ahead of its time marred by some questionably design choices (enemies who chased you were faster than you and too many of those, guns jammed a bit too frequently, checkpoints would repopulate almost instantly). But till date no other game has attempted what it did and achieve i.e. portraying a very real and very harsh environment and allowing players to use it as a sandbox.

Yeah. How did I forget Far Cry 2 and ist procedural fire propagation. This tech was never used again. I wish more open world games use it. When I first saw jungle gameplay of MGS5, throwing molotv on grass burnt it, I thought it had same effect like Far Cry 2 but sadly it was limited.

Lol...When I say real time I mean it grows gradually to full length and you can see the growth if you stay there for a short while. Obviously it's sped up and exaggerated. I didn't mean real time as in according to real world time.

Name me one other game that does this...Crazy !
https://youtu.be/-B3g49P6mj0

Huh. I didn't know that detail tbh. This is crazy. The first I heard a game dev wanetd this feature was Kojima sicne MGS4: he wanted burnt trees to drop seeds and those seeds willg grow trees in the future but he never did it neither in MGS4 nor in MGS5. I hope he will do it in Death Stranding.

Wagram

When this game gets into those moments where it really shows what it's capable of it provides crazy ass experiences. Just got into this mega battle with machines and humans with tons of crazy shit going on. Stable frame rate the entire way with endless chaos.

It's moments like that that are just amazing.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Far Cry 2 was incredible for its ideas. I'm glad Zelda seems so inspired by it, because I'm hoping it will in turn inspire other games to follow that way of doing open world games.

We've been oversaturated by the AC2 inspiration of how to make an open world game. I say that despite Horizon and The Witcher 3 both being inspired by AC2 and me liking them a lot.

nOoblet16

Far Cry 2 was incredible for its ideas. I'm glad Zelda seems so inspired by it, because I'm hoping it will in turn inspire other games to follow that way of doing open world games.

We've been oversaturated by the AC2 inspiration of how to make an open world game. I say that despite Horizon and The Witcher 3 both being inspired by AC2 and me liking them a lot.
I never thought of it this way but come to think of it, despite being a sequel FC3 was more inspired by AC2 than it was by FC2.

Damn, God of War is gonna look unbelievable.

Watching this on my phone, it looks real. Like someone is running through a field in Game of Thrones or something with a camera on a crane tracking them.

This particular gif has a GOW4 vibe in it. I really hope GOW4 will have such great sceneries like in Horizon.

In fact I noticed that both GOW4 and Horizon have close atmosphere and character clothing design (primitive fur clothing and weapons), hence even David Jaffe confused GOW4 (his own creation) with Horizon when the game was first revealed in last year's E3 until Kratos showed up.

If only GOW4 was open world like Horizon seeing that it has now RPG elements.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
How can I buy multiple wires? Please don't tell me the only way to buy wires is by buying one at a time.
You carefully select each individual wire and daintily place it into your bag. Or at least, that is what I have been doing for 30 hours.

Does anybody else think that the nights are just a liiiiiiiittle too green?

I get the stylized look they're going for, it's just... the shift is excessive. I feel like the white item notifications end up looking green too because of the filter. Maybe it's just an HDR thing.

Kin5290

The ropecaster hasn't clicked with me yet. I use the Hunter Bunter, War Bow, Sharpshoot Bow, and Tripcaster
I'm pretty sure that using the rope caster actually pins your enemy in place even if it hasn't been fully brought down. I swear I saw machines being yanked mid leap because they ran out of cable, which would be neat.

TheFatMan

I still don't know if I should be using Resolution or Performance mode on my 1080 TV. I keep googling different results. Anyone?

Skux

I get the stylized look they're going for, it's just... the shift is excessive. I feel like the white item notifications end up looking green too because of the filter. Maybe it's just an HDR thing.

Yeah this has bugged me since I saw night gameplay. It feels unnatural when human eyes shift to blue at night.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This particular gif has a GOW4 vibe in it. I really hope GOW4 will have such great sceneries like in Horizon.

In fact I noticed that both GOW4 and Horizon have close atmosphere and character clothing design (primitive fur clothing and weapons), hence even David Jaffe confused GOW4 (his own creation) with Horizon when the game was first revealed in last year's E3 until Kratos showed up.

If only GOW4 was open world like Horizon seeing that it has now RPG elements.

Lol.. last night in party chat after starting the game for the first time, as I was being blown away I said to my friends God of War 4 and RDR2 are going to blow me away.

I won't play Death Stranding, but, isn't it using the same engine?

nOoblet16

So I've did everything there is to in this game and obtained the platinum today. So I've had some time to think and have reached a conclusion that Aloy is one of the best characters we've seen in recent years, everything about her from her design, to her voice, her behaviour and her animations are just so charming that. Usually there is always some negative points to a character but in her case I can't find any.

Really hope they keep her for the following games.

I'm pretty sure that using the rope caster actually pins your enemy in place even if it hasn't been fully brought down. I swear I saw machines being yanked mid leap because they ran out of cable, which would be neat.

Depends on how are into the game you are as well. I find ropecaster invaluable as you start getting multiple big enemies as it allows you to tackle one at a time a bit more safely.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure two or three Sawtooths would wreck me everytime.

Skux

I still don't know if I should be using Resolution or Performance mode on my 1080 TV. I keep googling different results. Anyone?

Resolution mode gives the slightly better IQ because of supersampling. There are very rare drops below 30fps during hectic fights.

If you want an absolute rock solid 30fps, choose performance mode, which renders at 1080p natively. DoF effects are also slightly nicer in this mode.

Honestly though the differences are almost imperceptible in regular gameplay.

You answered your own question.

So, it that supposed to be a good thing?

It depends on the location. Sometimes it's a bit too orange as well.

Lol.. last night in party chat after starting the game for the first time, as I was being blown away I said to my friends God of War 4 and RDR2 are going to blow me away.

I won't play Death Stranding, but, isn't it using the same engine?

Yes it is and Kojima team are using their own hair tech which looks a little better than in Horizon.

Depends on how are into the game you are as well. I find ropecaster invaluable as you start getting multiple big enemies as it allows you to tackle one at a time a bit more safely.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure two or three Sawtooths would wreck me everytime.
People won't appreciate the rope caster until they have 2 bellow backs,5 grazers and a sawtooth simultaneously breathing fire and ice,charging and lounging at You in the darkness of night. That thing comes in handy.

My mind keeps blowing.

Sorta sad that botw has pretty much sewn goty awards this year. Oh well Guerrilla Games. Next time dont release sequel in the same year as zelda 😀

So what is this I hear about a DLC armor glitch? I've been using one of them for a while now and it seems like it's more resistant to damage than it should be. Is this what the glitch is about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom