• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Took down my first Thunderjaw today and that had to be the most epic experiences I've ever had in a game! Just unbelievable what was hapoening and a gaming moment that will now be burned into my brain forever. Thank you GG.

I came into the generation pretty jaded on the open world formula. I'm happy to say that between this and Sunset Overdrive my faith has been restored.

I hope that Guerilla can nail it again. Can't see any way this isn't getting a sequel.

Imagine if Destiny 2 had every planet with maps the size of Horizon.
PKoUlut.png

Yes but not by much .
Was not certain so i just check .

Ok good.

s1BKUdO.png

'bout to say.

Only issue I have with my weapons is the only element I have is fire.

I can't use the Ropewire cause 90% of the bot battles are shit I try to avoid but of course some other bot sees me and snitches to the rest of his bot crew.

My only complaint with how Aloy looks is I wish her Spear was always visible and carried on her back like her Bow. I guess Guerilla had their reasons for not showing it but it's always slightly jarring to see Aloy put her Spear away and see it promptly vanish. Otherwise both her and many others and their animations are excellent.

Lime

Even though I'm only half-through of the game, I already can't wait for any possible sequel. I love the world, the characters, the cultures, the lore, etc.

In the meantime, I am absolutely loving every single second of this.

Anyone know what all the icons on machines mean when you're fighting them or have overridden them?

One looks like a microchip but is a circle showing how strong or weak something is.... separate to its health bar.

Is this how vulnerable is weakness is?

I feel like people doggin the war bow, and prefer the sling. I mean both apply the same stats, but I feel like the war bow is better in tight situation.

I still haven't quite worked out how to be good at combat. Do you use the ropecaster to tie down all the enemies then pick them off one by one? How many ropes does it take to immobilize an enemy? Which bows should I equip?

Only need ropecaster for the big guys. I use it on glinthawks too because they're annoying af. Use tear arrows on the sharpshooter bow to open almost any fight that's difficult. Will help you get rid of the weapons big enemies use most. And armor too. Also trip caster is your best friend if you feel like you're outnumbered. Just start throwing those lines in a moat around yourself and then use criticals when the enemies go down

I think they are fun to learn about the different machines.

If you do them all you also get something unique
a weapon in its own class

You get loads of exp and 3 weapons if you get all 15 blazing suns .

Oh gtfo!?
are they a tier above the shadow stuff or just "different looking"?

I might never get to meridian...

jamsy

So I just brought down the Deathbringer as part of the story quest, managed to fall and die right after and now I lost my loot, including the Deathbringer heart. The checkpoint reloaded but now the Deathbringer corpse is missing and I can't get the heart....

How important is this item?

I think I'm gonna have to restraint myself and start doing the main quest now. I'll just do sidequest that's near on my way and won't do the one that's too far from my path. otherwise I'll never progress the story in this game. already played 18 hours and hasn't even reach meridian.

I think I'm gonna have to restraint myself and start doing the main quest now. I'll just do sidequest that's near on my way and won't do the one that's too far from my path. otherwise I'll never progress the story in this game. already played 18 hours and hasn't even reach meridian.

Lol.

I'm level 32, 29 hours in and am not even close to Meridian. I'll get there... eventually.

So happy for GUERILLA... so happy with Horizon.

Unrelated to the gameplay, but was playing it yesterday and my six year old daughter saw the game and was "is there only a girl character? And seemed pretty excited when I told her "yep, this is the main character."

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah, I really like her too. Absolutely stone-set morals, fearless and a strong sense of honour. She's great.

I like her dry sense of humour too: it's like she should be more naive, but has a way about her how to know things about the world.

Aloy is perfect, this game is a masterpiece....I'm 35 hours in, only just got to Meridian.

CHC

I like her dry sense of humour too: it's like she should be more naive, but has a way about her how to know things about the world.

Aloy is perfect, this game is a masterpiece....I'm 35 hours in, only just got to Meridian.

Yeah she's a likable character, very dry humor like you said. I also enjoy her dynamic with
Sylens
- she is not like half as stupid as he thinks she is. Like the
round earth dialogue
thing was a great little moment.

CHC

Man, they need to patch some usefulness into overriding cause it's pretty shit. At least a fuckin follow command.

They could just make it so the mount whistle function works for anything you have overrriden, even if you can't actually ride it. Would be kind of grossly overpowered though.

They could just make it so the mount whistle function works for anything you have overrriden, even if you can't actually ride it. Would be kind of grossly overpowered though.

Yeah see I was on the same page with the other guy. I wish you had more control. But you're absolutely right, if I could just tell my storm bird (or whatever) to follow me around I would literally stroll through the entire game.

Aselith

I mean isn't that the point of making a game with robot dinosaurs? Just make it the end of a skill tree or something.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anybody feel that Guerilla did the right thing with keeping the robo count to a medium level

Rather than over indulge and just create robots at a whims thought, most that are created felt like they were treated with respect and thought

What I mean is there's the Thunderjaw
Only one Archetype, no different colors, or different weapons to change its name or forcing players to look for different types

Each robot stands on its own and unique
I've fall in love with the names and premise behind each if them

Examples:

Glinthawks - Look for safe spots that you can coax them too, have some cover from the freezing blasts

Snapmaws - Most roam in packs of 3 or 4, try to bait one and murder it before backup arrives
Fire bombs from the Sling are like so OP

Thunderjaw - Clear the area and have 1-2 vantage points and hopefully non-destructable cover
Work on destroying armor, use its weapons on it

Stormbird - Get ready for a long ass fight, get ready to burn through at least 25%-35% of resources to taking it down

The way each of them changes throughout the fights is amazing
I destroyed the ever living shit out of a Stormbird, EVERY FUCKING COMPONENT removed
It could only fly for a dive or walk and try to trample, but after a few downed states it stood up, opened it wingspan, this blue electric shield covered it from wing to wing and it started walking towards me like a big huge electric bird just stomping towards me

I can recall now almost by heart what components enemies drop, their strengths and weaknesses and how to deal with multiples
It really does become second nature and assimilates you into this world that if you were in those shoes you would do all this and keep notes on everything

I enjoy seeing pictures/videos of this game and going, poor Snapmaw or damn that Longlegs got the better of them
Like all these new names are added into my vocabulary and can be used to get across a message that only some might understand

Lime

So happy for GUERILLA... so happy with Horizon.

Unrelated to the gameplay, but was playing it yesterday and my six year old daughter saw the game and was "is there only a girl character? And seemed pretty excited when I told her "yep, this is the main character."

tumblr_ojmpvdVISb1tt3wuco1_400.gif

love these kind of stories. My partner was saying the same thing yesterday in regards to the game's gender & racial diversity in the NPCs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally picked this game up and spent the last hour or so working my way through the intro. Really well done and was happy to see a
we even got a training montage!
The game is incredibly beautiful as everyone has no doubt said over and over again but I really like the music as well. The voice acting and dialogue is pretty good most of the time though there is a bit of stilted dialogue or obvious exposition but its pretty good overall. The game also controls like a dream even through the small pieces I've played.

lonerism

I just wanted to share with you guys

I've killed my first thunderjaw, the one Rust "leaves" you to do the dirty job

Seriously, I wanna marry this game. What a fucking epic moment

Shengar

What does this mean?

To put it simply, auto-tracking attack is when your character or enemy body reorient themselves automatically towards the center of the target. It behaves like auto lock-on in game like Dark Souls, but auto-tracking only moves the subject while keeping the camera as it is. Then in a game where there's a enemy with multiple hitboxes on a single body, attack from you usually can only register a single hit. Usually there's weapon with ability to register multiple hit on 1 enemy, but usually it have low damage as an offset.

To put them together, auto-tracking attack when you can only register a single hit on 1 enemy leads to accuracy problem. When you want to attack certain body part of your enemy, your character will reorient itself despite your attempt to position and direct the attack accordingly. This lead to the attack register a hit on different spot from your intention. In Horizon, this problem happened to me when I want to take off Sawtooth's blazer protective layer. I stunned the damn thing with tripwire, and out of three heavy attack, only one registered properly on my target while the rest of two landed on its upper thigh armor somehow.

I know that the primary combat of Horizon is ranged, and melee only serve as an emergency measure. However, melee heavy attack that supposedly used to strip armor off an enemy, become annoyance when you want to strip specific armor layer because of the problem above.

AngryMoth

18 hours in now, finally got back to the main story and got a few new developments. It's so fucking good. So happy to be playing a new IP with so much originality and imagination.

Sidenote, I've been playing on hard difficulty and I'd say the balance is perfect; forced to use a lot of different tools to take down large enemies but rarely actually dying. Combat against multiple large machines is super intense.

CHC

I just wanted to share with you guys

I've killed my first thunderjaw, the one Rust "leaves" you to do the dirty job

Seriously, I wanna marry this game. What a fucking epic moment

Uhh if you're talking about the robot that Rost takes you to fight before the Proving, that wasn't a Thunderjaw.....

But if you liked that you will love fighting an actual Thunderjaw!

Kill3r7

Level 33, back to doing main story missions, finally reached Meridian. I was hoping to finish it this weekend. So I could finally get some sleep. However it looks like I will have all of next week to enjoy it as well. Truly a masterpiece and Guerrillas best game to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom