• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

I see there are others here who share my same problem -- I am too addicted to just roaming and exploring and getting into robot battles that I basically just passed the Carja Wall into the later 4/5 of the total map and I'm Level 31.

I ran right to the next Tallnecks to open the map up more and now I don't know what to do because I have so much to explore again. Amazing.

Wagram

That corrupted zone was hell. Two corrupted Rockbreakers. One is hard enough and then some rando ass Behemoths decided to join in for shits and giggles.

Yibby

I've been to the first cauldron and wow ... the interior details and machinery is amazing.

Horizon is also the first open world game where i prefer walking from quest to quest and refrain from using fast travel.

Will I'd spend more than a few hours before getting bored that's for sure!

Bet, they gon' add screenshot mode to D2 to make up for the RNG.

I've been imagining 60fps the entire time. Took me a while to adjust to the frame rate since I spend most of playing time on pc usually

See, I've never had a PC so I don't think I've seen 1080p60fps yet.
J96LjiM.png

Novocaine

I've been to the first cauldron and wow ... the interior details and machinery is amazing.

Horizon is also the first open world game where i prefer walking from quest to quest and refrain from using fast travel.

I've been walking everywhere. Always getting side tracked. I guess fast travel and mounting will come in handy if I decide to 100% the map closer to when I'm done.

Josh378

Yeah this game is going to be a project period it's too much to do and so little time. Put down my first thunderjaw today. That bastard was so hard to kill, how to control two Bulls just to use them as bait while I wailed on him. I think I'm too I hit light level 40 something I'm not going to avoid Thunderjaw from now on. I've been that I've had the best time I've ever had with an open world map game. It's so beautiful that there are times I just stopped plane and take pictures. I have to say I'm not going to be able to Zelda until this game is finished. This game has my undivided attention. Sorry Nioh, see you again in April.

I just tried to fight a thunderjaw again..,and tried to use a snapjaw to fight him...yea...that croc has no defense.

Guess what? I found Neil Druckmann publishing screens of Horizon in Live From PlayStation.
"You don't have The Lost legacy and TLOU2 to do? Follow Cory Barlog". XD

ch4fx_

I've ran into a problem that I've never had with any other game before, and it's annoying as fuck. Normally, with other games, I get my quest & head off to complete said quest, shortly to return back to said quest giver to receive my reward. With HZD.. I get one quest, head off to do it, only to spend the next 8 hours wandering around killing dinos, clearing out bandit camps, completing cauldrons, gathering resources.. exploring -- which leads to finding new side quests & ultimately puts me right back where I started. I. FUCKING. LOVE. IT. Thus far, nothing in this game has seemed like a chore. I'm absolutely loving everything I come across & I'm genuinely excited for *more.

In case anyone missed it, the "I've ran into a problem.." & "...it's annoying as fuck" comments were sarcasm. :)

I still haven't made it to Merdian.

This game........

elguero

12 hours into the game and I've only fast traveled twice, both times because my only remaining quest was over 1,000 units of measurement away.

Came across 5 Glinthawks during a hunter lodge quest.

Shot all of them with one corruption arrow each.

They killed each other with freeze attacks.

This game........

Dany

Banned
12 hours into the game and I've only fast traveled twice, both times because my only remaining quest was over 1,000 units of measurement away.
Yeah, it depends if I've been to the location before. But anything less than 1000 or so I trek it or find a mount

I made it to Meridian today and it is something to see. I'm not a fan of the setting in general but wow the scope of this city. I just wish I could jump off the edge for fun.

I've been using fast travel a lot more since side quests and errands will have me running across the world map. I try to stay on foot for main missions. I blame it on the fact that I did a lot of exploring to get collectibles and other side quest. So if I have to return to an area I feel okay fast traveling since I'm not missing anything.

It's been a really, really long time since I've been quite so haunted by a game when I'm not playing it - all I keep thinking about is getting back to it. That feeling only shows up everyone once and awhile, and I can't remember the last time I've played a game this addictive. I also often have a bit of a love/hate relationship with open world, and find I turn into a serial fast traveller to save time, because I never feel like manual travelling is worth my while. Horizon makes the strongest case in an open world game that I've ever played not to fast travel, even if there is a bit of leg work involved - creatures, robots, herbs, the sights make it worth it. I've only fast travelled twice, and I've pretty much done everything on the Nora region on the map. I mean, sheesh, that's nearly 1/4 of the entire map. I keep organizing quests together so that I'll do them when I'm in that part of the map to save time. I am free from my fast travel ways!

So happy for GUERILLA... so happy with Horizon.

Unrelated to the gameplay, but was playing it yesterday and my six year old daughter saw the game and was "is there only a girl character? And seemed pretty excited when I told her "yep, this is the main character."

That's so wonderful! It really makes me smile that there are going to be a generation of kids with Aloy to look up to, and be inspired by. My genuine thanks to GG and Sony, I didn't realize how much this would mean to me. Because we've had a few years with a lot of great female characters, it actually didn't hit me how revolutionary Aloy was until I was a few hours into Horizon. I've never played as a fixed female protagonist stepping into a Hero's Journey like this before - seeing where she comes from at the beginning, watching her learn and grow, and in turn, learning alongside her as a player. Early on, it was playing through the
Proving
story mission that it struck me that I've played through a lot of similar scenarios with male characters, but never before quite like this with a female lead. We play as Old School Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Samus, Evie Frye, etc, after they've been on their journey, but never truly see them at the start. Aloy is everything I'd hoped for from Reboot Lara Croft (and am still astounding bitter that we didn't get). Considering BotW also just released, it's also surprisingly fitting that playing as Aloy reminds me of the various journeys I went on playing as Link over the years - the scale of the adventure, the thrill, etc. Again, hopefully Aloy inspires a generation of kids, and I think she will.

Props to Ashly Burch for giving such a naturalistic and sincere performance as Aloy, too. I always think Burch does wonderful work, but she's stepped it up again for Horizon, I think it's the most naturalistic voice work I've heard in a game next to Cissy Jones as Delilah in Firewatch. Hilariously, I think I'm continually impressed by Aloy's quips - it would be so, so easily to overstate them, or to even ham them up, but nope, understated and perfect.

Why does this thread have so many views relative to its replies? :lol

Anyway, Meridian is just breathtaking on a clear day.

I just love the aesthetics of everything in this game. Definitely up there with Bloodborne.

Ha, I keep checking the thread for tips and anecdotes, I wonder if other people do the same. Thank the All Mother that I did - I feel like an idiot, I hadn't realized the Warbow/Sharpshooter bow was how you got access to different ammo, I kept waiting to unlock it in the main quest. I was up to level 16 before I realized what happened. Sigh.

And yeah, Horizon is fucking stunning. I actually spent about an hour over on the very right side of the map because of the scenery, where there is actually very little to do outside just swimming around in the mangroves, shooting fish, and taking in the sights*. I couldn't see any enemies anywhere. Of course, whilst rounding up my dead fish, I happened to look over to the right and suddenly realized I was surrounded by corrupted Snapjaws. Erm. I was yet to see a normal Snapjaw in-game by this point, let alone a corrupted one. It did cut my fishing adventure quite short, sadly - I didn't want to lose my fish bones!

*There is a really weird structure where I can't figure out if it was a graphical glitch or intentional. I couldn't get close enough to figure it out, it was actually a bit creepy. I should go back and check.

This fucking game. So good. And this has got to be one of the most positive OTs I've ever been a part of. Really glad that everyone is enjoying it. What a great accomplishment for GG and Sony.

hydruxo

As far as I'm concerned, this is my favorite PS4 exclusive yet by a landslide. It has exceeded my expectations in almost every possible way.

Ulong

That corrupted zone was hell. Two corrupted Rockbreakers. One is hard enough and then some rando ass Behemoths decided to join in for shits and giggles.

The worst part about that corrupted zone is it is pretty reasonable, and I'd wager its the most likely scenario, for that to be the first time a player has ever encountered a Rockbreaker. It was my first time. 2 of them and both corrupted.

Sorry, asking for new page. Are there any merchants that sell animal parts?

The worst part about that corrupted zone is it is pretty reasonable, and I'd wager its the most likely scenario, for that to be the first time a player has ever encountered a Rockbreaker. It was my first time. 2 of them and both corrupted.
Same. Luckily, a Behemoth came along that I corrupted real easy, and he did a great job tearing apart the Rockbreakers with me like a good boy.

B.O.O.M

I'm going at a snail's speed in this game because of a lot of other things I need to do. But this is all I could keep thinking about 0_0.

Also Carja Sundom is a badass name

zma1013

I kinda regret buying all of the maps for items and secrets and stuff. Kinda takes the sense of discovery away a little bit.

Triz

30 hours in level 37, no where near finished. I. LOVE. THIS. GAME.

Just bought the purple bow with all elemental damage. Corruption, shock and fire. Boosted all three slots with purple Corruption %. I one shot anything and it instantly turns against the others. So awesome.

zma1013

There are so many of them though. It'd take you an extra 20 hours without the maps lol.

I just mean I bought them from the very first area and it filled out secrets for the entire game map i think. I would most certainly get them eventually anyways to do a 100% completion.

Showaddy

Wow wish I'd gone to Meridian sooner, absolutely stunning. Feel like I've spent so much time exploring and doing side quests I've lost track of the main quest somewhat.

melkier33

There's 2 ravagers to the north just across the river if you knock off the cannons you can waste the rockbreakers from the other side of the river.

Wow wish I'd gone to Meridian sooner, absolutely stunning. Feel like I've spent so much time exploring and doing side quests I've lost track of the main quest somewhat.
Yeah. Same here. I'm glad I pushed myself to do main quests, because this main story is great so far. I was about level 40 before I arrived at Merdian. I regret not going sooner.

Timexy

Neo Member
Saw a Thunderbird for the first time, did not aggro it as I'll probably get wrecked. lol

First time I saw one I was wandering somewhere I shouldn't have, then it appeared out of blue and I had nowhere to run. I thought I was done for, but after forcing it the ground it was as easy as killing a Watcher.

Just ground it using your Ropecaster, shoot weakpoints, and when it's about to fly use your Ropecaster again.

Props to Ashly Burch for giving such a naturalistic and sincere performance as Aloy, too. I always think Burch does wonderful work, but she's stepped it up again for Horizon, I think it's the most naturalistic voice work I've heard in a game next to Cissy Jones as Delilah in Firewatch. Hilariously, I think I'm continually impressed by Aloy's quips - it would be so, so easily to overstate them, or to even ham them up, but nope, understated and perfect.

I've been legit laughing my ass off during the first few hours at some of her replies. Such great dead pan.

psychotron

I am absolutely blown away by this game. The graphics and performance are absolutely jaw dropping. The fact that it's open world and looks this excellent is just insane. On top of that, the gameplay and characters are fantastic. Before my Switch pissed me off enough to stop playing, I was enjoying Zelda: BOTW. I nearly shocked my senses into overdrive after putting Horizon on after playing Zelda.

This game is a huge achievement for Guerrilla and Sony.

Juraash

Just finished my first cauldron and was blown away. I'd seen people mention them in this thread but I didn't realize how crazy they'd be. The art design and detail of these thing is absolutely insane.

Today is the first day I've really gotten to marathon it and I'm so thrilled. Aloy is great, the world is stunning, the story so far has been wonderful and the lore out in the world is interesting.

I'm so glad it's the weekend because all I want to do is play.

Nameless

20hours lvl 27 and I'm on trail to meridian.

Can't fucking wait!

Saw a Thunderbird for the first time, did not aggro it as I'll probably get wrecked. lol

They aren't that bad, stumbled on a side quest around level 14 that had me fight one. Knockdown + crit hit is your friend.

The JT

Neo Member
Haven't had much time to play, only got to the proving, love it. This game is absolutely gorgeous, love just running around killing watcher and striders. Tomorrow got all day to play.

Once you know what to do to take down enemies it's such a joy to tear them apart. I love that now I can kick a Thunderjaws ass pretty easily, but still if I make one wrong move I can easily die. No matter what level you are it's all about how you know to take these beasts down and discovering it on your own is a joy.

I actually think Behemoth, Rockbreaker, and Stalker are the toughest machines in the game.

I agree on Rockbeaker. The bestiary seems to be listed by ranking and those things should be past the thunderjaw.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Came across 5 Glinthawks during a hunter lodge quest.

Shot all of them with one corruption arrow each.

They killed each other with freeze attacks.

This game........

Sorry, asking for new page. Are there any merchants that sell animal parts?

Same. Luckily, a Behemoth came along that I corrupted real easy, and he did a great job tearing apart the Rockbreakers with me like a good boy.

Just bought the purple bow with all elemental damage. Corruption, shock and fire. Boosted all three slots with purple Corruption %. I one shot anything and it instantly turns against the others. So awesome.

1kstz6.jpg
[

North east of the map is a Thunderjaw location with two of them.

They killed each other. Corruption arrows ftw.

Got 6 purple mods for just sitting behind a rock and shooting corruption arrows lol

Doing the same, 2 corruption mods makes 1 arrow corrupt anything, including Thunderjaws.

I really like this game's over world and mythology. I wish the character designs are more mixed race instead of obvious black/white/etc type characters.

It doesn't make sense to me that a small band of neo hunter gatherers have such a diversed race composition. (Yes I am taking the game's back story seriously.)

So I just fought my first Big ass bird... Killed me a couple times and did a ton of damage. I have 3 purple weapons but my outfit it's still one of the dlc, could that be it? I was like lvl 24, didn't expect to struggle so much with a regular enemy.

Crossed paths with a Thunderjaw but I wussed out, lol. I ain't ready for that. This game is devouring me, started Yesterday and I'm clocking 18 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom