• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Im not sure overleveling should be a concern. I dont think your level affects any stats, only skills and perhaps access to certain weapons.

This is true. The difference between Aloy at level 20 and 40 is only her HP and skills learned. There isn't even a character stats page. RPG elements are pretty light in Horizon. This way, the game is able to provide the same challenge for us throughout our playthrough.

Wollan

The consistency, variety, and quality of all the character models in this game is nothing short of remarkable.

33128130041_b103476545_o.png

32413065904_7c4d3fe11f_o.png

32834711490_88017abaa5_o.png

33220213515_c99507ae4c_o.png

33100797332_618a374ce1_o.png

33019305962_a90ce37333_o.png
The amount of details is pretty absurd. It's hard not to fall in love with some of the prettier characters.
Playing the game and it feels like the most expensive & elaborate videogame production out there.

The melee combat is a bit off, not sure if I like it that much, I mean it's ok, but not enjoying it much fighting bandits. And using the shoulder buttons to attack is weird, used to the face buttons.

I really like this game's over world and mythology. I wish the character designs are more mixed race instead of obvious black/white/etc type characters.

It doesn't make sense to me that a small band of neo hunter gatherers have such a diversed race composition. (Yes I am taking the game's back story seriously.)

Yeah that's something I wish for too.

Is there a way to get the pre-order outfits and weapons as individual DLCs? FFXV added all pre-order DLCs as purchasable and even the exclusive GameStop A King's Tale for free.

Edit: I saw The Deluxe Edition has thoem but for those who got the base one, they need to offer a way to get individual outfits or a pack containing all of them.

The amount of details is pretty absurd. It's hard not to fall in love with some of the prettier characters.
Playing the game and it feels like the most expensive & elaborate videogame production out there.

It reminds me of the feeling I got from Witcher 2's NPCs. They all had so much personality and uniqueness and detail in their armor and clothing. It adds so much to the world of the game.

The war bow? Really?

Then what am I doing wrong? Cause it never helps.

It's a utility bow, not a damage bow.

Use corruption mods to make dinos fight each other.

Use shock and freeze mods to inflict status effects on dinos weak to the respective elements.

Shocked dinos can't move so they are easy target for critical hits and exploiting the weak points.

Frozen targets take double damage from normal arrows and can't move very fast, so you can inflict tons of damage.

It's a utility bow, not a damage bow.

Use corruption mods to make dinos fight each other.

Use shock and freeze mods to inflict status effects on dinos weak to the respective elements.

Shocked dinos can't move so they are easy target for critical hits and exploiting the weak points.

Frozen targets take double damage from normal arrows and can't move very fast, so you can inflict tons of damage.

PKoUlut.png

I thought there was another tier that would eventually do god-damage.

Okay, I see. Not sure if I'm 100% onboard cause that means you still have to juggle the circus wheel when fighting but I'll give it a go. I need to get on that 3rd cave so I can start overriding these big bots.

Also, I got 3 kills points, I'm thinking:

• Strong Strike +
  • Knock Down
  • Combat Override +
  • Ammo Crafter

I thought you'd get more skill points as you advanced but, whats done is done so I guess better to be smart now than never.

I dont play many RPGs... I suck at RPGs, tbh.

Zackat

The war bow? Really?

Then what am I doing wrong? Cause it never helps.

to add to ruthless, the purple shots (tear shots) can rip off the armor and weapons of almost everything in one shot so you can get to the juicy bit faster.

Fire and ice shots work by hitting guys multiple times until they freeze/catch on fire/get corrupted, etc. It really opens up your options for killing stuff in a hurry instead of dodging and pinging them with your normal arrows (though that is fun as well).

He better run.

haha

they're learning

to add to ruthless, the purple shots (tear shots) can rip off the armor and weapons of almost everything in one shot so you can get to the juicy bit faster.

Fire and ice shots work by hitting guys multiple times until they freeze/catch on fire/get corrupted, etc. It really opens up your options for killing stuff in a hurry instead of dodging and pinging them with your normal arrows (though that is fun as well).

PKoUlut.png

I see. Well, I need one Trampler heart and I dont want to rush into this next bot-cave unprepared so I think I'll get one, start utilizing it on wild-bots and see what happens.

I still cant grasp the blaze-bots: I shoot them with fire arrows but they hardly explode after 40+ fire arrows.

BUT, I was able to take out them weak birds but concentrating on those belly-bits, so I have that going for me.

I'm trying to see what works and what doesnt, but I can't nail the blaze explosives cause even shooting those with precision arrows arent triggering explosion (after the amour falls off).

I also have another question (sorry!), the harvest arrows, what do those do?? I tried targeting the weapons parts of the bots with them but once again, they dont seem to do anything.

TTG

Had a really rough time with a corruption zone that's on top of a vantage point that's
a concert venue.
It was 4 Chargers and a Bellowback. Virtually no tall grass.

It's so frustrating to have a 2 shot fire arrow only do enough damage to pierce the canister on a charger and not have it explode. There are 4 of them, they move fast and it's a small target. The game is making it essentially pointless to target that area rather than brute force them with straight damage. At the very least, when the thing is already ignited and I hit the charger's rear end with a fire arrow it should trigger regardless. Anyone else run into this problem? Maybe corrupted chargers are too tough for the starting bow, but what the fuck, nothing else shoots fire arrows that I've come across.

What do people think of
Stormbirds
? (not really a spoiler, just a machine name)

Fought my first one and tore off almost all of its components, then had to spend the next 5 minutes shooting at it while it basically just hovered 40 ft in the air doing nothing

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I also have another question (sorry!), the harvest arrows, what do those do?? I tried targeting the weapons parts of the bots with them but once again, they dont seem to do anything.

Harvester Arrows are literally what they are for... Harvesting materials + resources

Like Striders have that blaze canister correct
If you kill it or blow it off the Striders arse it nets you 1 Blaze
Use Harvester Arrow bam, now you have multiple Blaze from the same drop

All those robots that are "Harvesting" you can up the count of their resources by shooting them with said arrow, its like a multiplier arrow

You get 1 Chillwater from a Snapmaw per on its back
So a total of 4
But if you kill it, without destroying the Chillwater part of its top spine
Use those arrows to gut them off it, netting you 4+ Chillwaters

Harvester arrows are used to recoup back resources way quicker

VanWinkle

The open world could probably be bigger in the sequel, but I have to say, I've really fallen in love with this game's world. I love to just travel from place to place. I refuse to use fast travel and skip out on the beauty of the scenery. I'm still just in this area of the map, after about 13 hours of gameplay so far:

pg3I2XP.png

But man I love everything about it. Truly a sight to behold.

If there was one thing I'd like to see in the sequel, it's some truly sprawling open areas, like we see in games like W3 and Zelda BOTW. Like, where you can see miles and miles ahead of you at places you can go. I understand and accept that it's different in Horizon because it's such a mountainous region, but this is just something I'd like to see in the next game.

GraveRobberX

Hope for sequel we go more West

Callifornia Anyone?

Can you imagine have at least certain cities reimagined there!

*Pro Tip*

Save your animal bones and skins
If your early in the game or mid, keep saving at least 1 bundle, I think 5 = bundle of each animal bone and skin
To up your Resource and Ammo bags quantity
Kill and Massacre the wildlife, trust me on this

Goose, Fish, and Rat will be your downfall lol

If there was one thing I'd like to see in the sequel, it's some truly sprawling open areas, like we see in games like W3 and Zelda BOTW. Like, where you can see miles and miles ahead of you at places you can go. I understand and accept that it's different in Horizon because it's such a mountainous region, but this is just something I'd like to see in the next game.

I think the one thing the open world aspect is missing for me is the sense of seeing a huge landmark in the distance and wanting to go see what it is. There are maybe a couple like Meridian, but I would love the experience of seeing a unique landmark from afar and trying to get over to it. Like maybe if Cauldrons were more prominently visible from a far?

PKoUlut.png

I see. Well, I need one Trampler heart and I dont want to rush into this next bot-cave unprepared so I think I'll get one, start utilizing it on wild-bots and see what happens.

I still cant grasp the blaze-bots: I shoot them with fire arrows but they hardly explode after 40+ fire arrows.

BUT, I was able to take out them weak birds but concentrating on those belly-bits, so I have that going for me.

I'm trying to see what works and what doesnt, but I can't nail the blaze explosives cause even shooting those with precision arrows arent triggering explosion (after the amour falls off).

To make the Grazers with blaze canisters use Fire Arrows and hit their canisters (this should work on Grazers but not on Lancehorns). Use Tearblast to knock them off as you need the canisters to make fire arrows. A couple of good shots from the Precision Bow can knock them over and with mods installed can be pretty lethal.
With regards to your spoiler
it's for rabbits, boars etc. Get better chance of getting higher level crafting stuff.

GraveRobberX

Had a really rough time with a corruption zone that's on top of a vantage point that's
a concert venue.

It's so frustrating to have a 2 shot fire arrow only do enough damage to pierce the canister on a charger and not have it explode. There are 4 of them, they move fast and it's a small target. The game is making it essentially pointless to target that area rather than brute force them with straight damage. At the very least, when the thing is already ignited and I hit the charger's rear end with a fire arrow it should trigger regardless. Anyone else run into this problem? Maybe corrupted chargers are too tough for the starting bow, but what the fuck, nothing else shoots fire arrows that I've come across.

Psst, there's a Strider camp at the Top
Override, use a Bait, enjoy killing, while its the tank

Fire Bombs from Slings as I stated are super OP if you pump either Damage or Fire mods into weapon

Shooting 3 total on a Snapmaw kills it easily
Shoot 1 hide, Shoot another, hide or it will look for you with intensity, Shoot third, watch it burn to the ground

A lot of players aren't mode swapping
That perk is essential to make fights always be in your favor
There's a huge fucking reason its there
Map tells you what you'll run into, prepare accordingly aka Batman prep time!

VanWinkle

I think the one thing the open world aspect is missing for me is the sense of seeing a huge landmark in the distance and wanting to go see what it is. There are maybe a couple like Meridian, but I would love the experience of seeing a unique landmark from afar and trying to get over to it. Like maybe if Cauldrons were more prominently visible from a far?

Yeah, that's kind of to my point. Like, it would be awesome to SEE more of the world from a high distance and see some cool thing and think, "Ooooh, I need to check that out!" Because it's so mountainous and the world usually has some fog (which, granted, looks amazing), there is less of that feeling. It's not an outright con to this game, but it's for sure something I would like to see in the next one.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
the one thing I REALLY fucking hate about this game is that there's no good save feature. Killed two Thunderjaws, super stoked, looted them, then got killed by a couple glinthawks before I could get to save. so fucking frustrating.

GraveRobberX

the one thing I REALLY fucking hate about this game is that there's no good save feature. Killed two Thunderjaws, super stoked, looted them, then got killed by a couple glinthawks before I could get to save. so fucking frustrating.

Worse is killing a Stormbird from a High perch, it dying on something unreachable or you can reach and think you can make a safe landing

Learned hard lessons

I always try to watch what I'm killing, what's nearby and how far away I am a save point

To make the Grazers with blaze canisters use Fire Arrows and hit their canisters (this should work on Grazers but not on Lancehorns). Use Tearblast to knock them off as you need the canisters to make fire arrows. A couple of good shots from the Precision Bow can knock them over and with mods installed can be pretty lethal.
With regards to your spoiler
it's for rabbits, boars etc. Get better chance of getting higher level crafting stuff.

Harvester Arrows are literally what they are for... Harvesting materials + resources

Like Striders have that blaze canister correct
If you kill it or blow it off the Striders arse it nets you 1 Blaze
Use Harvester Arrow bam, now you have multiple Blaze from the same drop

All those robots that are "Harvesting" you can up the count of their resources by shooting them with said arrow, its like a multiplier arrow

You get 1 Chillwater from a Snapmaw per on its back
So a total of 4
But if you kill it, without destroying the Chillwater part of its top spine
Use those arrows to gut them off it, netting you 4+ Chillwaters

Harvester arrows are used to recoup back resources way quicker

PKoUlut.png

So I think I get it:

Harvest arrows are if you're starving for materials. Use them against bots/animals to increase the drop rate (or at least the pieces that fall off).

Blase canisters: Knock the off, and those can be used an explosives if the bots are close buy? The issue I have is with exposed canisters on the bots (I hit, them, i swear. I'm intoxicated now but I know for DAMN sure I hit them) and they STILL dont explode at least 7/10 of the time. The only success I have is with them birds, hitting their bellies I can almost get them to explode.

God I really wanna do the plot stuff but the motion sickness i get playing this is killing me

I know how it feels. Since there's no option to adjust the FOV yet, I had to settle with adjusting the difficulty down so I could avoid dodging as much as I did. It's when the camera gets to shaky that I start experiencing this. Worked for me, but it's annoying to play at a lower difficulty.

So I've did everything there is to in this game and obtained the platinum today. So I've had some time to think and have reached a conclusion that Aloy is one of the best characters we've seen in recent years, everything about her from her design, to her voice, her behaviour and her animations are just so charming that. Usually there is always some negative points to a character but in her case I can't find any.

Really hope they keep her for the following games.

I agree. I can't see another Horizon game that doesn't have her as the lead. Sony is not as big on having a "mascot" but Aloy can be one of their iconic characters joining the ranks of Crash Bandicoot, Kratos, Nathan Drake, among others. I also love the fact that she's a ginger as it makes her standout in a see of characters with black, blonde, or white hair.

I came into the generation pretty jaded on the open world formula. I'm happy to say that between this and Sunset Overdrive my faith has been restored.

I hope that Guerilla can nail it again. Can't see any way this isn't getting a sequel.

Uhhh... Aren't you aware that Horizon is being sent to die? So don't expect a sequel and avoid the heartbreak.
Of course that's a load of fanboy rubbish. :p

The one thing this game needs is a Pet command so I can let my Ravager know he's a good boy after we face off an army together. I feel so sad to leave him now :(

IKR?
I had an encounter with a hoard of Tramplers and was that complete chaos! Managed to flee with a hair of HP left and completed Cauldron Rho that unlocked overriding of Tramplers. I came back, took control of one Trampler, and watched in awe from the tall grass as it fought off the rest of its kind, occasionally helping my pet with sniper shots.
Very satisfying, but the poor overridden thing deserves more than just a pat in the back. XD

Trouble

Banned
Man, only being able to buy 1 of a resource at a time gets old real fast. I've had to buy a few hundred wires at this point (ropecaster bolts and precision arrows all day baby).

Also, I only use my war bow to keep birds distracted while I use some tearblast arrows from cover. Then comes the cleansing fire.

shiba5

Man, only being able to buy 1 of a resource at a time gets old real fast. I've had to buy a few hundred wires at this point (ropecaster bolts and precision arrows all day baby).

One of the few complaints I had. I had tons of money at the end and wanted to buy a bunch of wire. It was easier to just go farm Grazers for it.

GraveRobberX

PKoUlut.png

So I think I get it:

Harvest arrows are if you're starving for materials. Use them against bots/animals to increase the drop rate (or at least the pieces that fall off).

Blase canisters: Knock the off, and those can be used an explosives if the bots are close buy? The issue I have is with exposed canisters on the bots (I hit, them, i swear. I'm intoxicated now but I know for DAMN sure I hit them) and they STILL dont explode at least 7/10 of the time. The only success I have is with them birds, hitting their bellies I can almost get them to explode.

Stop spoilering lol
Its nothing spoilerish about said material gathering in said game

Striders, Lancerhorns have canisters, they don't explode
That's the resource your hunting for lol

Striders for example drop Blaze, if you shoot off the Blaze canister, it doesn't explode doing massive damage, it's a component (you get +xp for breaking it off)
Some don't want to kill Striders and just say resource farm, just peg that canister blow it off and pick it up off the ground...

Same goes for Grazers and Lancerhorns
Those medium sized vials are what you really want

Most are best to be Silent Strike killed, pull out Harvester Arrow, shoot canisters and bulk up your resources, why?

You need Blaze to make fire ammo
You need Chillwater for freeze ammo
You need something vessel (I'm forgetting) for shock ammo

The further you get into the game, more weapons and ammos become available
You will bleed through materials if you don't resource or forage at a steady pace

I have 250 Blaze at all times, 150 of the other types
I go through Fire Bombs and Fire arrows like a mad man for what I'm doing in the game at the moment

Remember Robots have weaknesses, almost a rock, paper, scissors thing with elements

First Thunderjaw I see in the whole game just happens to be the cauldron boss. But I finally beat it. Feels good man!

This is only my second cauldron too.

Dabi

For some reason I can't call machines I've taken over and can't adjust camera angles in camera mode. Anyone going through the same thing?

Tigress

a concert venue.

I cheesed this one. You can get yourself over the
stage area
, the rock over it, and just snipe them all and just have to dodge the
bellowback's fireballs
. Oh, I believe that
arena is called Red Rocks. U2 had a concert video there. And it looks gorgeous, I'd love to see it IRL

Stop spoilering lol
Its nothing spoilerish about said material gathering in said game

Striders, Lancerhorns have canisters, they don't explode
That's the resource your hunting for lol

Striders for example drop Blaze, if you shoot off the Blaze canister, it doesn't explode doing massive damage, it's a component (you get +xp for breaking it off)
Some don't want to kill Striders and just say resource farm, just peg that canister blow it off and pick it up off the ground...

Same goes for Grazers and Lancerhorns
Those medium sized vials are what you really want

Most are best to be Silent Strike killed, pull out Harvester Arrow, shoot canisters and bulk up your resources, why?

You need Blaze to make fire ammo
You need Chillwater for freeze ammo
You need something vessel (I'm forgetting) for shock ammo

The further you get into the game, more weapons and ammos become available
You will bleed through materials if you don't resource or forage at a steady pace

I have 250 Blaze at all times, 150 of the other types
I go through Fire Bombs and Fire arrows like a mad man for what I'm doing in the game at the moment

Remember Robots have weaknesses, almost a rock, paper, scissors thing with elements

PKoUlut.png

That makes more sense. So the parts of the bots are want you'd want to collect, not destroy (cause I am starving for blaze).

Okay, I see. I think I get it now. You shoot the body with the element weakness, when the gauge is full, you use the other arrows (precision/hunter/hardpoint) for DPS.

Brine

PKoUlut.png

So I think I get it:

You have to hit the canister with the right elemental arrow for it to explode. You're supposed to hit the blaze canister with a fire arrow for there to be a big explosion. Same concept for the other elemental canisters. I don't know the exact names, Chillwater for ice and Sparkers for electricity, maybe? Also, you can get these canisters by killing them normally, actually shooting the canisters off as opposed to exploding them, etc. Multiple ways to get these canisters. You probably get more by actually shooting them off individually though.

Trouble

Banned
For some reason I can't call machines I've taken over and can't adjust camera angles in camera mode. Anyone going through the same thing?

You can only call mountable machines that you have overridden. I really wish we could issue commands to overridden machines, or have them follow, but that would be OP because I would have a thunderjaw wingman 24/7.

GraveRobberX

First Thunderjaw I see in the whole game just happens to be the caulderon boss. But I finally beat it. Feels good man!

How?

No side missions?
Collectibles?

How the hell did you miss the camp literally going towards Meridan, save point is right there too...

Must have really bypassed a lot of Robot Camps

I try to trigger every save point and camp along the way, just to have on my map ready to go

I have so far seen 6+ places where Thunderjaws roam, hell one has 2 of them and it will be necessary for you to do it, you will see...

This was a trophy well earned. (beast and level 24 side quest spoiler)

That fight really forced me to think quickly.
I had to stay on high ground the entire time, and duck behind rocks when the Rockbreaker threw them at me. There was no way I could defeat it on a level plain.
How often will I see these things in the wild, if at all?

Mossybrew

This is the most unique and well realized game world I've experienced in years. Guerrilla with this game alone has shot to the top of my all time respected developers, what an accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom