• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
1kstz6.jpg
[
Lmao. Good surprise laugh.

So I just fought my first Big ass bird... Killed me a couple times and did a ton of damage. I have 3 purple weapons but my outfit it's still one of the dlc, could that be it? I was like lvl 24, didn't expect to struggle so much with a regular enemy.

Crossed paths with a Thunderjaw but I wussed out, lol. I ain't ready for that. This game is devouring me, started Yesterday and I'm clocking 18 hours.

I always start off with some tear arrows to rip off the armor then set it on fire then tie it down with the ropecaster and go to work on it. I would also recommend drinking the electric potion that gives your defense a boost from its electric attacks.

Horizon is also the first open world game where i prefer walking from quest to quest and refrain from using fast travel.

I was about to post the same thing. It boggles the mind that I feel this way. Not even in RDR did I travel the world so much.

Can we all go ahead and declare this the best game on the PS4? I love TLG, Uncharted, and MGSV to death but this game is overwhelming. It has issues for sure but the overall gameplay, the world, the protagonist/story, and graphics...everything comes together to just blow me away. The thing that's even crazier is that I can still imagine so many improvements and additions for a sequel..the universe they've created is so creatively inviting in that sense.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Corruption Arrows + Watchers area

Shoot all of them, watch the utter chaos that ensues
Bonus points if they encroach into another robot spawn area lol

"Let them Fight!" has a new meaning to it

55 hours in and I feel like I'm nearing the end. I wish this game would go on forever!!! Not sure if I'm ready to put it over witcher 3 as my game of the generation, but it's certainly up there.

I always start off with some tear arrows to rip off the armor then set it on fire then tie it down with the ropecaster and go to work on it. I would also recommend drinking the electric potion that gives your defense a boost from its electric attacks.
Thanks, never bothered much with the potions. Will try it out.

Anyone in retail know how this game is doing? It looks like it's 3rd most bought videogame product on Amazon and is currently out of stock there(really dumb how this can be possible for a AAA game). So it's doing well there but some retail stories would be great.

Defeated my first Thunderjaw. I stripped it butt naked, was practically defenseless running off and shit. Picked up the disc launcher and tore it to shreds.

Where's the disc launcher located on its body anyway? I kept tagging it with tear arrows until there was nothing left so I've got no clue whare it came from.

Alucrid

Banned
Defeated my first Thunderjaw. I stripped it butt naked, was practically defenseless running off and shit. Picked up the disc launcher and tore it to shreds.

Where's the disc launcher located on its body anyway? I kept tagging it with tear arrows until there was nothing left so I've got no clue whare it came from.

the two giant weapons above above its legs

I made the decision to just sell all of my crafting items havested from machines.

It really clutters the inventory to keep everything that could be useful.

Also, it's actually fun to use the errand system to hunt down the resources you want on a item by item basis. Hunting down a thunderjaw next to get some outfit, should be fun.

Zukkoyaki

22 hours in and I can quite comfortably say that Horizon has by far the best combat of any open-world game I've ever encountered. Like... It isn't even close.

Shit, think I might have accidentally over-leveled because doing side quests & errands got addicting and took me all over the map. I completely obliterated the
DeathBringer
when I encountered it.

The story is so damn interesting, I'm going to commit to not getting sidetracked when I sink my teeth back into this game tomorrow.

Guys, Im not sure overleveling should be a concern. I dont think your level affects any stats, only skills and perhaps access to certain weapons.

Guys, Im not sure overleveling should be a concern. I dont think your level affects any stats, only skills and perhaps access to certain weapons.

Yeah you get 10 more health on level up and more skills but those don't really have a huge impact on the game. It's not like Witcher where you just over level and one shot everything. No one should worry about over leveling, it's going to happen 100%.

Stiler

How the heck are some of you getting super up-close photo mode pictures?

Everytime I move the camera in close to a character or object it blurs, with DOF off, if I turn it on and put it at the closest setting it still blurs the close object...

Exquisik

How do you guys know what's good to sell? I'm not sure what I should keep or sell.

When you highlight each item, it tells you what the item could be used for on the right side under the description of each item. If it say, "Trade with merchant" only, then I would sell it.

Also, don't forget to craft new bags for more space.

Question for those who've completed the game.

I'm at
Deep Secrets of The Earth, and Sylens told me that I'm at a point of no return. Does this mean that I won't be able to finish other side quests and whatnot? Or is it just a long mission, and I should just be well prepared for it?

Wollan

This game focuses much more on abilities, move-set, weapon function and ammo types in contrast to traditional stats. The coils (gems & sockets if you're a Diablo vet) are nearly the only source for stats increases.

Was unexpected because when I compared the Very Rare & expensive bows (of that particular type) to the bow given at start of the game I saw they had identical stats which made me scratch my head. But you eventually learn how huge an impact that extra ammo-type it supports and coil-slots end up having.

Similarly clothing and armor are all one-pieces. No separate glows, pants and headgear. It's a very focused game yet there's so much to do at any time. I find it really cool how strongly the focus is on crafting. I almost spend as much time upgrading my various pouches as I do my fighting gear. Also the game doesn't sell you good equipment purely with money (shards). All the vendors require money + certain resources (if that's fox pelt or a snapmaw electronical heart).

Zackat

I heard its awful, though...

if it's the one with the tear shot, corruption, and the "piercing" (for lack of a better word, idk the damage name) shot, then you heard wrong.

I'm at
Deep Secrets of The Earth, and Sylens told me that I'm at a point of no return. Does this mean that I won't be able to finish other side quests and whatnot? Or is it just a long mission, and I should just be well prepared for it?

the latter

Exquisik

This game focuses much more on abilities, move-set, weapon function and ammo types in contrast to traditional stats. The coils (gems & sockets if you're a Diablo vet) are nearly the only source for stats increases.

Was unexpected because when I compared the Very Rare & expensive bows (of that particular type) to the bow given at start of the game I they had identical stats which made me scratch my head. But you learn how huge an impact that extra ammo-type it supports and coil-slots end up having.

This! Pretty much this! The extra ammo-type and coil-slots can tremendously help your battle.

Maybe it was my arrow modifications, all of it's components just popped off after two shots... or maybe the DeathBringer is just supposed to be really easy.

Will probably change the difficulty to Hard tomorrow.

I'm at

It is the latter. You can go back to doing side quests and such, it'll just bit a little longer then the other main missions.

How do you guys know what's good to sell? I'm not sure what I should keep or sell.

Anything that's listed as only for selling to traders is safe to sell. I've also started selling the items you trade for outfits/weapons if I own the weapon/outfit.

E.g. You already own a bow that requires a watcher heart and some metal. After I've bought the bow, I sell all my watcher hearts.

ch4fx_

I always use steps or bridges in this game, because someone @ GG took the time to design those for a fucking reason, & I appreciate them for that <3.

alexbull_uk

How the heck are some of you getting super up-close photo mode pictures?

Everytime I move the camera in close to a character or object it blurs, with DOF off, if I turn it on and put it at the closest setting it still blurs the close object...

Turn DOF off and then drop the FOV as low as it will go, but pull the camera back a little.

Then you should be able to get really close, like so:

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
When you highlight each item, it tells you what the item could be used for on the right side under the description of each item. If it say, "Trade with merchant" only, then I would sell it.

Also, don't forget to craft new bags for more space.

To add to that, for the various machine parts, once you get further on in the main story and get access to Purple gear, they're only ever used for side quest requirements, or a one-time necessity to purchase certain weapons.

Once you know you've purchased the weapon/outfit which is associated with a certain 'heart' or 'lens' or what have you, you can start selling wholesale and get into the purple treasure chest gambling business

If need be, you can always find more later, either in the wild or
From a merchant in the main hub

dragos495

Just got the platinum... 100% completition in ~47h of gameplay.

WOW! This is an incredible game! What those dutch bastards were able to achieve, omg!

Its at least as good, if not better that witcher 3. Its better than bloodborne, better than uncharted 4 and i knows these 4 games very well, platinum and dlcs. The gameplay is a collection of the best, the most interesting and fun parts from other games. the open world is alive, full of creatures, of settlements and stuff to do.

The story is EXCELENT! No stupid cliches, original, well done cutscenes, packed with emotions, action and sometimes humour.

Its one of those games that will stay with anyone who played it, even after
the launch of the inevitable horizon 2.

10/10

PS: the graphics... pure magic by guerilla. what they achieved with a ps4 pro its crazy. I played it on a pro, in hdr on an oled. Hundreds, not even kidding, of screenshots made.

Karu

I am now 13 hours in.

- Game looks great. Character faces are a bit iffy at times while talking.
- Traversing the world is alright, climbing issues and invisible walls are very frustrating sometimes
- the gameplay loop reminds me heavily of the first Watch_Dogs - regularly going on an overpowered rampage, doing some side stuff that is not the overwhelming, all in all pretty awesome
- Story is alright so far.

Overall Horizon gives a good to great, but rarely excellent impression.

Just needed to say that I appreciate that Aloy stays in crouch mode when you jump, most games always have you back in your standard stance after hopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom