• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
For some reason I can't call machines I've taken over and can't adjust camera angles in camera mode. Anyone going through the same thing?

Press your D-Pad left or right, it will scroll through your Potions, Traps, Rocks, "!" (Whistle), bait enemies, and finally a mount icon

The you press down on the D-Pad, watch as your Overridden mount comes to you
Hilarious when it come running over obstacles you know it won't go over if it was mounted lol

the one thing I REALLY fucking hate about this game is that there's no good save feature. Killed two Thunderjaws, super stoked, looted them, then got killed by a couple glinthawks before I could get to save. so fucking frustrating.

You can fast travel anytime, and that auto saves your game.

You could have fast traveled as soon you had looted the thunderjaws.

You have to hit the canister with the right elemental arrow for it to explode. You're supposed to hit the blaze canister with a fire arrow for there to be a big explosion. Same concept for the other elemental canisters. I don't know the exact names, Chillwater for ice and Sparkers for electricity, maybe? Also, you can get these canisters by killing them normally, actually shooting the canisters off as opposed to exploding them, etc. Multiple ways to get these canisters. You probably get more by actually shooting them off individually though.

I see. So match the weakness with the icon that your focus displays when inspecting them. I also thought the heavy/precision arrow always did high impact damage.

Only thing I'm struggling with now besides that is those invisible bots but, I'll figure it out. Just need to play smarter (since I dont play RPGs).

Gaz_RB

Really love the tactical choices this game offers.
For instance if you want better armor you have to sacrifice your fashion sense with an ugly headband

Trouble

Banned
How?

No side missions?
Collectibles?

How the hell did you miss the camp literally going towards Meridan, save point is right there too...

Must have really bypassed a lot of Robot Camps

I try to trigger every save point and camp along the way, just to have on my map ready to go

I have so far seen 6+ places where Thunderjaws roam, hell one has 2 of them and it will be necessary for you to do it, you will see...

There is a second path to the west that doesn't go by the thunderjaw.

For instance if you want better armor you have to sacrifice your fashion sense with an ugly headband

lol so true.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

and you loose the tactical midriff.

edit: fuck the thunderjaws. Not fighting them until the story demands me to, lol.

Question for those who've completed the game.

I'm at
Deep Secrets of The Earth, and Sylens told me that I'm at a point of no return. Does this mean that I won't be able to finish other side quests and whatnot? Or is it just a long mission, and I should just be well prepared for it?

it's just a long mission.

you will go back to the game world when done.

The open world could probably be bigger in the sequel, but I have to say, I've really fallen in love with this game's world. I love to just travel from place to place. I refuse to use fast travel and skip out on the beauty of the scenery. I'm still just in this area of the map, after about 13 hours of gameplay so far:

pg3I2XP.png

But man I love everything about it. Truly a sight to behold.

If there was one thing I'd like to see in the sequel, it's some truly sprawling open areas, like we see in games like W3 and Zelda BOTW. Like, where you can see miles and miles ahead of you at places you can go. I understand and accept that it's different in Horizon because it's such a mountainous region, but this is just something I'd like to see in the next game.

Can you visit all the areas in the map even the white locations and mountain ones?
Is Horizon the biggest open world game yet? If not, then what it is the biggest open world game to date? Witcher 3? Skyrim? GTA5?

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
My favorite battle so far has been with a stormbird in a certain area. Ended up tripping it with the ropecaster and shooting its blaze canisters to finish it off. The stalkers are also pretty cool.

Brine

I see. So match the weakness with the icon that your focus displays when inspecting them. I also thought the heavy/precision arrow always did high impact damage.

Only thing I'm struggling with now besides that is those invisible bots but, I'll figure it out. Just need to play smarter (since I dont play RPGs).

Those things are annoying, especially in packs. But just gotta remember all the weaknesses or check back to the beastiary thing to see. Tearblaster arrows are very useful also, usually can knock off the invisible component in like 2 shots. Once you get used to the game's combat though everything feels great.

GraveRobberX

Can you visit all the areas in the map even the white locations and mountain ones?
Is Horizon the biggest open world game yet? If not, then what it is the biggest open world game to date? Witcher 3? Skyrim? GTA5?

Yes you can

Horizon is huge, great thing about this games it has a great sense of vertacality built into

Some places you can reach are so fucking off, game just loads you back to a previous save

I've done that exploring areas the game let's you venture but doesn't give warning
Some places it does, but some areas I cheated and abused run + jump just to see how far I can reach before getting "killed screen"
Happened 3 times to me already lol venturing out to the unknown

GraveRobberX

My favorite battle so far has been with a stormbird in a certain area. Ended up tripping it with the ropecaster and shooting its blaze canisters to finish it off. The stalkers are also pretty cool.

Not fun when it dies away from you not netting loot
Stupid burn effect!
Died within reach, then slid off... FML

Those things are annoying, especially in packs. But just gotta remember all the weaknesses or check back to the beastiary thing to see. Tearblaster arrows are very useful also, usually can knock off the invisible component in like 2 shots. Once you get used to the game's combat though everything feels great.

The combat system, for the most part I got the shooting/dodging/aiming down. My only issue is DPS: I keep wanting to rely on one weapon.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member

To deal with stalkers, try to put shock trip wires around the area(they are usually in packs). Try to locate it( throw a stone, something to get its attention) and stun it with a shock weapon.

If you have a war bow with the double or triple arrow skill, you can stun them in one burst. The rattler weapon also shreds their(and other machines) health once stunned.

To deal with stalkers, try to put shock trip wires around the area(they are usually in packs). Try to locate it( throw a stone, something to get its attention) and stun it with a shock weapon.

If you have a war bow with the double or triple arrow skill, you can stun them in one burst. The rattler weapon also shreds their(and other machines) health once stunned.

I'm working on the war bow now. Just need a trampler heart. I'm going for the trampler sites.

GraveRobberX

I sold 200 blazes on a merchant thinking i won't use fire arrows much.

I made a huge mistake.

My resources are stacked
Have it at least 4+ stacks of each craftable resource

Great thing is Blaze is easily gotten

You can cheat with your First Hunting Grounds
Start any Trial it will spawn all those Grazers and Watchers
Kill away, run back restart trial
Repeat

People farm that resources as Metal Shard maker
Can make 10,000 shards within 10-15 minutes

Many farming options in this game if you're looking for them

Dabi

Press your D-Pad left or right, it will scroll through your Potions, Traps, Rocks, "!" (Whistle), bait enemies, and finally a mount icon

The you press down on the D-Pad, watch as your Overridden mount comes to you
Hilarious when it come running over obstacles you know it won't go over if it was mounted lol

I've tried, but it just tells me that the mount cannot reach your position. Even though I'm like 20 meters away with nothing obstructing its path lol.

Jamaro85

Merchants have 'buy-back' option.

I can't check right now, but isn't that only for uncommon (green) rarity and above? Maybe that's not always the case, but I sold a bunch of stuff earlier, with stacks of resources being the last thing I sold, and when I looked at buy back there were only greens and up.

Xeteh

Took my first
Thunderjaw
down, the ropecaster did way better than I thought it would on the big bastard. It wasn't a super efficient kill though, I'm curious what works best for taking those down relatively quickly.

Moneal

I've tried, but it just tells me that the mount cannot reach your position. Even though I'm like 20 meters away with nothing obstructing its path lol.

are you close to town? I only ever got a message saying that the mount cant reach me when I was in or close to town.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm not very far (
was promoted to a Seeker and defended the city from a "demon"
), but already I need to commend the game on several aspects. First, the controls, combat, and movement all feel very good. Every fight thus far has been completely exciting, and I still haven't fully delved into all the upgrade options.

Second, the story is VERY cool, which is so rare for me in video games. Normally I don't give a shit, but Aloy is a fantastic character and the writing has been very efficient.

And third, this is the best looking game of all time. Bar none. I can't believe how crisp everything looks. it's surreal.

VanWinkle

You can climb really high up pretty much any mountain on the edges of the map, but I don't know if you can get all the way up. But yeah, you can access any location in the map.

It's a very big world, and I have never felt like, "Man, I wish this was bigger," but it's not remotely the biggest. Witcher 3, Skyrim, GTA5 and Zelda BOTW are all quite a bit bigger and I'm sure there are a lot of other games too.

How?

No side missions?
Collectibles?

How the hell did you miss the camp literally going towards Meridan, save point is right there too...

Must have really bypassed a lot of Robot Camps

I try to trigger every save point and camp along the way, just to have on my map ready to go

I have so far seen 6+ places where Thunderjaws roam, hell one has 2 of them and it will be necessary for you to do it, you will see...

I just never saw one. Am lvl31 mostly sticking to the main quest threads.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Took my first
Thunderjaw
down, the ropecaster did way better than I thought it would on the big bastard. It wasn't a super efficient kill though, I'm curious what works best for taking those down relatively quickly.
Use tear arrows to shoot off their
disc launcher
then go to town on the weak spots. If it's still alive use the other one.

Xeteh

Use tear arrows to shoot off their
disc launcher
then go to town on the weak spots. If it's still alive use the other one.

I didn't even realize I could pick it up until I saw it after the fight, it got blown off pretty far. I'll try it out next time.

krae_man

A one hour play session tonight turned into 4 and a half. Loving the game so far.

I love the Ratchet and Clank taunter.

The weather in this game is all over the place. At one point it was snowing then changed to pouring rain to bright and sunny in the span like 2 minutes and I didn't move much.

I hope the story reveals there's a weather god just fucking with me the entire time.

leng jai

Weather system is hilariously bad. Makes you wonder how that survived the entire development cycle without anyone pointing out how random and unrealistic it is.

Cubed

Weather system is hilariously bad. Makes you wonder how that survived the entire development cycle without anyone pointing out how random and unrealistic it is.
Agreed. But that's like... my only complaint. Seriously. My. Only. Complaint. After. Sixteen. Hours.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
and you loose the tactical midriff.

edit: fuck the thunderjaws. Not fighting them until the story demands me to, lol.
They are super easy as long as you have a tearshot arrow. Use it on its gun. One shot should take out the gun. Pick up the gun, aim at other parts. Enjoy your loot.

The open world could probably be bigger in the sequel, but I have to say, I've really fallen in love with this game's world. I love to just travel from place to place. I refuse to use fast travel and skip out on the beauty of the scenery. I'm still just in this area of the map, after about 13 hours of gameplay so far:

pg3I2XP.png

But man I love everything about it. Truly a sight to behold.

If there was one thing I'd like to see in the sequel, it's some truly sprawling open areas, like we see in games like W3 and Zelda BOTW. Like, where you can see miles and miles ahead of you at places you can go. I understand and accept that it's different in Horizon because it's such a mountainous region, but this is just something I'd like to see in the next game.

Same here 20 hours!

dominuece

This fucking game...

This is something special. Not since The Withcher 3 has a game blown me away as a complete package. Thing is, HZD wasn't even on my long list of must own titles of 2017 because I was skeptical as hell about GG making an open world action rpg.

25 hours in and I have to make myself take breaks. I love it.

Aloy is such a wonderful character. I wasn't sure if I was going to like her, but she's really grown on me and I'd say she's easily one of gamings best characters.

Also, I was really skeptical about the voice acting before starting (that shitty Brom quest in the previews had me really worried). But the voice acting is fantastic!

Yeah, that's kind of to my point. Like, it would be awesome to SEE more of the world from a high distance and see some cool thing and think, "Ooooh, I need to check that out!" Because it's so mountainous and the world usually has some fog (which, granted, looks amazing), there is less of that feeling. It's not an outright con to this game, but it's for sure something I would like to see in the next one.

Keep playing. ;)

Dissapointing battle against
the Deathbringer, set the whole place with traps, climbed a platform and strated shooting fire arrows... it never moved and it's weapons couldn't hit me where I was. I suppose there will be another Deathbringer that could move, hopefully.

Anyway, the trade off was the story that's getting incredibly interesting, besides, I had so many awesome battles today. :')

Oh after that story mission I think I got a bug, Aloy just don't stop saying something like "maybe I could find something with my focus" every 100mts, it's annoying, completed two sidequest and I still get the same thing. Going to sleep now, hopefully it will besolved by tomorrow. Maybe it's a bug tied to the next story quest? No idea.

I'd avoided reading most of the thread because spoilers but I'm a fair chunk through the game

First I absolutely love this game, it's so entertaining because the enemy's and weapon attack combinations are so diverse even what should be tedious is so fucking fun

In anyway I have some hot tech for you if it has not being said yet (highly likely) but to fully utilise it you should have whistle Spawn any mountable machine and be able able to move with heavy guns

But if you save with heavy Gun that you blasted off a machine and then loaf it back up, you will have full ammo even if you saved on empty!

So combine that with being able to whistle a mount and then the be able to carry the heavy on the mountable machine, means mobility is no longer an issue

Again sorry if known :D
But somebody pls let me know if known as I don't want to read through the thread yet till I'm complete

reKon

Banned
This fucking game...

This is something special. Not since The Withcher 3 has a game blown me away as a complete package. Thing is, HZD wasn't even on my long list of must own titles of 2017 because I was skeptical as hell about GG making an open world action rpg.

25 hours in and I have to make myself take breaks. I love it.

This is some real shit. I knew this game would be good, but it vastly exceeded my expectations. Like damn....

JB1981

Just started this tonight and wanted to run this by some of you. Does this game feel "juttery" to anyone else? Like for whatever reason I feel like there's a lack of smoothness to the camera and overall visual presentation. I don't have this issue in other 30fps games such as Destiny, for example. It's really starting to bother me and kind of giving me a headache. Is it the motion blur implementation?

silva1991

Dissapointing battle against
the Deathbringer, set the whole place with traps, climbed a platform and strated shooting fire arrows... it never moved and it's weapons couldn't hit me where I was. I suppose there will be another Deathbringer that could move, hopefully.

Anyway, the trade off was the story that's getting incredibly interesting, besides, I had so many awesome battles today. :')

Oh after that story mission I think I got a bug, Aloy just don't stop saying something like "maybe I could find something with my focus" every 100mts, it's annoying, completed two sidequest and I still get the same thing. Going to sleep now, hopefully it will besolved by tomorrow. Maybe it's a bug tied to the next story quest? No idea.

The very first one? yeah there will be another and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom