• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerTapTap

Kinda feels like there should be a way to add a second weapon wheel...I have 5 weapons I switch through (the three bows, blast sling and elemental sling) and really there's only 8-9 weapons to even be used if you consider a higher tier makes the lower tier weapon useless. Ropecaster and tearblaster feel like I could be using them more, but they're usually not enough to make me swap out for (especially not the tearblaster).

BTW the elemental modifications are stronger than you might think. Near instant burns and shocks with fully specialized weapons, fun stuff (but results in some modification juggling if you want to keep it optimal)

Question

When I create a Job to hunt. I check the map and there is a Yellow Perimeter, is this the area in which you hunt to get specific animal parts based on the job created? I'm having a hard time finding 2 fox bones. I kill a fox within the perimeter and shit just giving me bony meat.

Where do I go? am I in the right location within the yellow perimeter?

It's not a guaranteed drop when you make a job, it's just telling you where you can find the thing. I'd estimate at least 3 animal kills per bone and 5-6 kills per skin on average. Just kill every animal you see (geese are useless though) and keep the rares until you're sure you don't need 'em. Sucks to get stuck hunting 10 foxes when you could be fighting double thunderjaws and stuff.

Fish bones is also a chore.

There's a big pond around the Norah area where you can get like 5+ fish at once, just fast travel there and see what you can get. Raccoons gave me the most trouble. I found a bunch in a forresty area just between the Nora expanse and the start of the big Carja canyon area.

I'm not sure if this is true but standing still or not moving much against rockbreakers seem to help. Could be my friend trolling cause that sounds super counter intuitive

Their description says they work based on sound, but I figured that just meant that's how they start fighting, I never thought to just stand still in combat. Dunno if that works.

Haha, okay, now i'm convinced everyone is using this strategy

They're insanely hard any other way so I'm not too surprised.

Home menu of the game, load game, watch how much time you've been playing on your save file. :p

Oh shit, i've never even seen that. I have my Pro go to standby, so i'm literally in the game every time i turn it on, and i've only ever been quicksaving at fires, so i haven't even seen the load/manual save screen yet.

Good to know. Thanks!

thuway

The new patch what does it do? It could be placebo but it feels like HDR is more vibrant and the day to night transitions aren't bugged.

SerTapTap

They should probably set some sanity check weather/time of day limitations on story missions. It was raining torrentially during a "everything is on fire" mission, lol.

I haven't noticed anything different. Pro, 4K HDR, favor resolution. It all seems the same to me.

If you don't notice, leave it in favor resolution mode. It seems to have better textures or LOD and less aliasing. I can't notice a performance difference with performance, it's still locked at 30 and doesn't seem to dip noticeably even on favor resolution.

It does look REALLY god damn good on resolution mode on a 1080p set though. I was wrong, a 4K focus still looks really damn good on a 1080p display because it's effectively some of the best AA you can buy.

Oh shit, i've never even seen that. I have my Pro go to standby, so i'm literally in the game every time i turn it on, and i've only ever been quicksaving at fires, so i haven't even seen the load/manual save screen yet.

Good to know. Thanks!

I think you can only quick save, but it creates like 15 save states or something. ;)

I'm very early in the game
just did the first tallneck side quest
and I've been stung by the anxiety that comes of a filling up quest log where I'm not finishing things and just moving forward. Given a lot of it is much higher leveled stuff, I should probably just continue on and come back when I'm a higher level, but man there is a lot of stuff in this game.

SerTapTap

I'm very early in the game
just did the first tallneck side quest
and I've been stung by the anxiety that comes of a filling up quest log where I'm not finishing things and just moving forward. Given a lot of it is much higher leveled stuff, I should probably just continue on and come back when I'm a higher level, but man there is a lot of stuff in this game.

There's no missable content in the game, so just do whatever you want. Fast travel becomes easier later so you can just leave and come back, or clean up or really do whatever.

Being "overleveled" also isn't a huge problem, since while it gives you more skills and a bit of HP, it's mostly a gear based game. Being 50 levels above something doesn't mean you kill it in one hit or anything, damage is based entirely on gear + mods.

EDIT: Would be nice to be able to filter the map

Was really surprised this wasn't a feature given all the other convenience features. Finding a bunker on the map is a real pain (I can't believe those and so many side errands don't appear at full zoom out, but "strider hunting location" does)

TsuWave

is there a very rare version of the Nora Longshot Bow or is it just the rare one that you get for preordering?

I'm not sure if this is true but standing still or not moving much against rockbreakers seem to help. Could be my friend trolling cause that sounds super counter intuitive

i'm sure someone here said they track your position/movement by sound

Playsage

So, I've been reading some compliants here and there and all of them feel super minor to me, luckily here I am to go straight to the important stuff:

I've played 51hs and I'm at 75% of the game completed, didn't finish the story yet and I still have some sidequest and a lot of collectibles left.

I think I have only one story mission left.

Here's my main complain about the game (main quest but no story spoilers):

The main quest/story/mission is fantastic storywise, it's really intriguing and you visit some visually gorgeous places. What I don't like is that a thid of it is exploring ruins, reading documents and listening audios. This is minor because it hurts replays but on your first ride it's quite good.
A thing I didn't like is that the main enemies in the story are humans, I don't mind them being the ones that set things in motion but I really dislike that there are very few robots in it, most of them are Corruptors and Deathbringers and even if there are some with corrupted machines they only use like a quarter of the whole robofauna. That's really disappointing and I wish they whould have included the machines in the story much more.
I believe you can finish the main quest without facing a Thunderjaw, Stormbird, Rockbreaker even once, I'm not even sure if there's a quest for Stormbird outside the one on the Hunter's Lodge (which is more a trophy than a side quest). Maybe in my final mission there will be there but still, machines feel really underused, you end up facing all of them a lot of times in side missions or just by roaming around but again, I wish the story would have included them more.

Outside of that, everything is super minor to me and don't affect my enjoyment of the game. Main story is a big deal to me so that's a blow but this is a 9+ game to me and one of the best I've played this generation.

Can't wait to get back to it (have to work now -_-).

Edit: Also, Meridia's Quest (Erend) is my favourite quest of the game, it says main quest but for me is a side quest, kinda like the Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher.
There are a couple of really good quests outside of that one.

The music that plays at the end of
Itamen quest
:O
Main Quest spoiler
The only machine that you don't get to fight during the main quest is the Rockbreaker

There's a big pond around the Norah area where you can get like 5+ fish at once, just fast travel there and see what you can get. Raccoons gave me the most trouble. I found a bunch in a forresty area just between the Nora expanse and the start of the big Carja canyon area.
Their description says they work based on sound, but I figured that just meant that's how they start fighting, I never thought to just stand still in combat. Dunno if that works.
They're insanely hard any other way so I'm not too surprised.
Yeah I agree with the second wheel. They should add them in a future patch. Maybe hitting L1 then L2? Also define Nora area;what's the closest settlement?
The new patch what does it do? It could be placebo but it feels like HDR is more vibrant and the day to night transitions aren't bugged.
My friend mentioned that they added the blue ring to Aloy's ear when she does her focus scan

So, I've been reading some compliants here and there and all of them feel super minor to me, luckily here I am to go straight to the important stuff:

I've played 51hs and I'm at 75% of the game completed, didn't finish the story yet and I still have some sidequest and a lot of collectibles left.

I think I have only one story mission left.

Here's my main complain about the game (main quest but no story spoilers):

The main quest/story/mission is fantastic storywise, it's really intriguing and you visit some visually gorgeous places. What I don't like is that a thid of it is exploring ruins, reading documents and listening audios. This is minor because it hurts replays but on your first ride it's quite good.
A thing I didn't like is that the main enemies in the story are humans, I don't mind them being the ones that set things in motion but I really dislike that there are very few robots in it, most of them are Corruptors and Deathbringers and even if there are some with corrupted machines they only use like a quarter of the whole robofauna. That's really disappointing and I wish they whould have included the machines in the story much more.
I believe you can finish the main quest without facing a Thunderjaw, Stormbird, Rockbreaker even once, I'm not even sure if there's a quest for Stormbird outside the one on the Hunter's Lodge (which is more a trophy than a side quest). Maybe in my final mission there will be there but still, machines feel really underused, you end up facing all of them a lot of times in side missions or just by roaming around but again, I wish the story would have included them more.

Outside of that, everything is super minor to me and don't affect my enjoyment of the game. Main story is a big deal to me so that's a blow but this is a 9+ game to me and one of the best I've played this generation.

Can't wait to get back to it (have to work now -_-).

Edit: Also, Meridia's Quest (Erend) is my favourite quest of the game, it says main quest but for me is a side quest, kinda like the Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher.
There are a couple of really good quests outside of that one.

The music that plays at the end of
Itamen quest
:O

If you didn't face
any of the machines you mentioned.
Then you're not on the final mission of the game.

Kalentan

Ugh. The more I play this and get closer to the end... I can't help but think that this getting less than 90 on MC/OC will be the biggest crime of this year. It's not like it having an 88 affects my feelings towards the game, I just feel like it's at least a 92 or a 93.

eizarus

Banned
Also, the hunting challenges are a absolutely fantstic, and I wish they weren't optional so more people did them. You really need to think tactically and can't cheese them (or at least that i found).

I was planning on leaving them till after the story (by which point I'd probably have forgotten them. I'll give them a try today.

vivekTO

c16ff545_o.png

Just want to share this!!

SerTapTap

^ Well deserved!

Yeah I agree with the second wheel. They should add them in a future patch. Maybe hitting L1 then L2? Also define Nora area;what's the closest settlement?

I just mean the general expanse area you start in, there's a big pond that's hard to miss on the map, I forget exactly where but you'll see it. Fish are pretty common really, it's just easy to not notice since they're nearly invisible without the Focus.

is there a very rare version of the Nora Longshot Bow or is it just the rare one that you get for preordering?

We were supposed to get something for preordering? Digital only or? I preordered on amazon and just figured there weren't bonuses

Main Quest spoiler
The only machine that you don't get to fight during the main quest is the Rockbreaker

I was surprised how under-used the Rockbreaker is, I found two in a random-ass spot for my first encounter and was like "WTF"! Hardest fights in the game though IMO so I can see why.

Polarburr

Man. The story really goes 0-100 real quick huh?

just got out of the area where they talk about GAIA

Just... Wow. Love the world building of this game so far! So many directions the sequel can go to!

Main Quest spoiler

Seriously? Then it's only an impression I have...
I don't recall fighting a lot of machines during the main quest, at least the only machines that feels integrated in the story are Corruptors and Deathbringers for obvious reasons, and the biggest story machine I've faced outised of those is a corrupted Behemot (the last main mission I did).
I wonder if there are surprises ahead. :O

Ugh. The more I play this and get closer to the end... I can't help but think that this getting less than 90 on MC/OC will be the biggest crime of this year. It's not like it having an 88 affects my feelings towards the game, I just feel like it's at least a 92 or a 93.

Well, it's close to cracking 89, at least!

wzuN3YH.png

I was surprised how under-used the Rockbreaker is, I found two in a random-ass spot for my first encounter and was like "WTF"! Hardest fights in the game though IMO so I can see why.

I've faced two random Rockbreakers, and then faced one in two story side quests.
Stormbird? so far only a trophy for the Hunter's Lodge... :/

I was planning on leaving them till after the story (by which point I'd probably have forgotten them. I'll give them a try today.

Good call. They're worth doing sooner than later. Getting the rewards for getting "blazing suns" (best tier) on all three at each of the five locations, yields some good stuff that you would rather get earlier in the game than later.

It's not stuff that is game breaking or overpowered by any means, just stuff that would be more or less worthless if you get it after you've done everything else in the game.

Just a thought.

SerTapTap

I've faced two random Rockbreakers, and then faced one in two story side quests.
Stormbird? so far only a trophy for the Hunter's Lodge... :/

There should be one when you go up to a certain place very late game...but...I explored that area BEFORE the quest required it, so maybe that was some kind of out of story event? Was really cool when it happened.

You can encounter them pretty early too, I bumped into one the first time I tried to enter the canyon area. I thought I must be underleveled or something lol. Didn't think to just run the hell past it.

I don't think it needs to be forced to be used well, especially since they're really hard to miss.

Good call. They're worth doing sooner than later. Getting the rewards for getting "blazing suns" (best tier) on all three at each of the five locations, yields some good stuff that you would rather get earlier in the game than later.

It's not stuff that is game breaking or overpowered by any means, just stuff that would be more or less worthless if you get it after you've done everything else in the game.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I'd do all the hunting missions ASAP. Good reward and super fun too.

eizarus

Banned

Just a thought.

As a Destiny-obsessed player, I can assure you that reading "rewards" sold me on it. Gotta love the dopamine :p

Well, it's close to cracking 89, at least!

wzuN3YH.png

This cracks me up.

When discussing Horizon, i would definitely tell people "I mean the game is really, really good. Just great actually. We're not quite talking Railroad Tycoon 2 levels of good, but it's definitely close"

As a Destiny-obsessed player, I can assure you that reading "rewards" sold me on it. Gotta love the dopamine :p

We are one and the same. Timed challenges are normally things i'd skip, but when i saw the rewards, I did them ASAP. That's actually another one of my small gripes; i wish the collect a thon rewards were better. i would totally do those too, but it it hardly seems worth the time investment for what you get. That's pretty typical of most open world collectibles in games tho.

TsuWave

We were supposed to get something for preordering? Digital only or? I preordered on amazon and just figured there weren't bonuses

not sure if its digital only but yeah i have the digital version and you get the rare "nora longshot" bow and rare "nora lookout" outfit. the nora longshot bow is better than its carja hunter bow counterpart as it has the same stats but better handling without mods.

Apt101

This cracks me up.

When discussing Horizon, i would definitely tell people "I mean the game is really, really good. Just great actually. We're not quite talking Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 levels of good, but it's definitely close"

We are one and the same. Timed challenges are normally things i'd skip, but when i saw the rewards, I did them ASAP. That's actually another one of my small gripes; i wish the collect a thon rewards were better. i would totally do those too, but it it hardly seems worth the time investment for what you get. That's pretty typical of most open world collectibles in games tho.

Haha. This kills me. This is the first game I can recall playing in a very long time in which I have no major criticism. There is nothing really bad about it. Inventory management is less than ideal but even then it's not bad.

b0bbyJ03

Do the weapons have specific strength (how much damage they cause) values like in other RPGs or are is the damage based off the color? I find the weapons a little confusing.

Kalentan

Haha. This kills me. This is the first game I can recall playing in a very long time in which I have no major criticism. There is nothing really bad about it. Inventory management is less than ideal but even then it's not bad.

It's the first game in a very long time that my friend has played a lot of that is Single-Player. He's mainly been a big MP guy for a while now but he's been going all in on this.

SerTapTap

Does completing the collectathons give skill points or something BTW? I was 7 skill points short after leveling to 50 and completing most side quests, I did a couple main missions and finished all the "get the stuff on the map" missions and checked my menu...12 skillpoints. No idea what they were from, assuming 1 skill point per main mission I should only have gotten 2-3

Do the weapons have specific strength (how much damage they cause) values like in other RPGs or are is the damage based off the color? I find the weapons a little confusing.

Weapons are simpler than they look. New level = new ammo type. The stats are usually the same except for the ropecaster (which uses different but more effective ammo each tier). Just sell the lower tier weapon when you buy the next tier (remove your mods first)

There are a couple weapons with better stats than others of the same exact type, but they're not obtained at stores.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope Sony throws whatever money at GG to keep them together. I want more games like this.

Well considering this game was in dev for six years (KZ3 came out in Feb 2011) during which the following studios were shut down, it's obvious where the money came from.

- Zipper Entertainment (socom guys)
- BigBig Studios
- Evolution Studios
- Guerrilla Cambridge
- Sony Liverpool (Wipeout studio)
- Incognito Entertainment (warhawk/starhawk guys)

They also havent acquired any new studios this gen, by this time last gen. they had already acquired GG, Sucker Punch, Evolution Studios and Media Molecule. While I love this game, and how massive it is, i look at the cost, the real cost, a next gen Socom, next gen MAG, next gen Motorstorm, next gen Warhawk. Depressing to think about. Here is a gorgeous horizon pic to level out the emotions...

C6NegzKXEAABbxZ.jpg

Does completing the collectathons give skill points or something BTW? I was 7 skill points short after leveling to 50 and completing most side quests, I did a couple main missions and finished all the "get the stuff on the map" missions and checked my menu...12 skillpoints. No idea what they were from, assuming 1 skill point per main mission I should only have gotten 2-3

My (very) cursory research told me it's just a bunch of mods; most write ups said 7 total, 5 rare, and 2 very rare. At that point, for the time investment, you're just better off hunting for a Stormbird, TJ or Behemoth.

I could totally be wrong tho.

Morts

What's the difference between light/medium/heavy outfits? Just cost or do they affect movement speed or something?

Got as far as
Daytower
and I never have wire to craft ropecaster ammo anymore :(

SerTapTap

My (very) cursory research told me it's just a bunch of mods; most write ups said 7 total, 5 rare, and 2 very rare. At that point, for the time investment, you're just better off hunting for a Stormbird, TJ or Behemoth.

I could totally be wrong tho.

Yeah, I mostly did it for the trophies/to do All The Things, but I was pretty unimpressed by the modifications boxes--they're not even all purple, like a boss monsters drops would be!

So glad the 'bosses' are guaranteed Very Rare drops in decent numbers BTW. Not a huge fan of the Borderlands 2 method of 2% droprates. Actually kinda feels better to have a cap on how good loot can get and having a reasonable chance to get it.

No idea where I got those skillpoints then. Maybe one of the main quest missions gives like 10?

Managed to beat the main quest stuff last night. Amazing experience all around. GG has their masterpiece and I could not be more thrilled for the studio. I did have a super scary glitch on the mission Terror of the Sun that almost broke all my saves, but I managed to recover with only an hour lost and the game was so good it didn't bother me replaying that little bit. I still have some open world clean up to do and side quests, but I'm moving on to Zelda for the time being.

I think I finished at like 70% completion in 35 hours which is damn near perfect in my eyes.

What's the difference between light/medium/heavy outfits? Just cost or do they affect movement speed or something?

Got as far as
Daytower

Dude I was in a similar situation, so I just farmed a bit and was able to gather a bunch to last me.

hydruxo

Got as far as
Daytower

They don't affect movement speed. The only differences between the outfits are the resistances to elemental/melee/ranged damage / extra stealth / etc. One of the shadow outfits doesn't have any extra bonuses but it has a 3rd mod slot rather than the usual 2.

Yeah in general the higher the rarity, the stronger the weapons gets ( You can see their tear, normal, blast and elemental damage values of each arrow/bomb type)

Btw whoever thought of the 24 blazes per grazer farming method is a goddamn genius

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There is a basic damage stat for weapons, but that doesn't necessarily imply overall strength since there are other damage types and different creatures have very specific weaknesses.

SerTapTap

It's just the stats/equipment slots, nothing else. "heavy" because they have more stuff on 'em visually plus the effects, but they don't appear to have any actual 'weight' effect.

Got as far as
Daytower

Dude I was in a similar situation, so I just farmed a bit and was able to gather a bunch to last me.

You can just buy the ammo-crafting stuff in stores (or buy ammo, but it's much more menuing and doesn't last for long). I never had any trouble with wires but I don't ropecast too extensively. Actually since early game I've never had trouble crafting ammo at all, which is great (except for that time I started a main quest mission with almost 0 metal shards).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom