• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

can't wait for DLC (lmao it feels weird even typing that but its just too good)
i'd even buy armor and weapon dlc lol

also, horizon 2 is gonna be a megaton moment at whatever e3 it gets announced and we get the first trailer

Mupod

Need some game play assistance guys.

- Are there any more side quests or ways to power up the Spear some more ? I did the one side quest near the start of the game and have done some Cauldrons, but Cauldrons only add override abilities, nothing about powering up the spear.

- Can y'all share some general tips for fighting Thunder Jaws and Behemoth (?) class robots. I killed a Thunder Jaw last night, fight wasn't THAT bad but I feel like there's a better way. I mostly just cheesed it with ropecasters and a lot of dodge rolling and heavy attacks. It doesn't seem to want to stay down for more than a second once it goes down via the ropecaster.

Similarly, the toughest fight I've had is a level 34 (?) corrupted zone which had 2 corrupted Behemoth's and a bunch of smaller one's. I practically cheesed the behemoth's with fire arrows after taking care of the smaller enemies.

I mentioned this last night, but I figured out how to completely obliterate a Thunderjaw in seconds even on hard. But for some reason I can't upload to youtube from my PS4 any longer.

Thunderjaws go down easier than the other 'boss' class enemies because of the disc launchers. So what I do is shoot one off, ropecaster him down, then freeze him and go to town with the launcher. I don't just aim at the heart weakpoint, it seems to do more damage if you spread it around and break off all the parts.

I put 3 40% handling mods into the hunting lodge ropecaster and it fires so fast that he's tied down almost instantly. Similarly, I have freeze mods in my war bow and the triple arrow loading skill. Since you can load up 3 arrows per bow until you need them, I do that beforehand. This also helped a LOT for the hunting lodge quest where you have to kill one on a strict time limit, in fact that's where I figured it out.

I've yet to meet a Behemoth although I've seen them mentioned many times and I've explored most of the map. I'm guessing there might be a few enemies that don't show their faces until I progress the story? I've seen Stormbirds and Rockbreakers which were both much stronger than Thunderjaws.

also, horizon 2 is gonna be a megaton moment at whatever e3 it gets announced and we get the first trailer
I haven't beaten the game but it would be cool if we head to Ban-Ur

Am I missing something but I can't seem to disable the "gps" style waypoint system from the HUD? I just want the quest marker in the compass on the top of the screen and not have that second yellow square floating about my screen telling me which path to use.

I've looked in the HUD settings and I can't seem to find anything relating to it? Apologies if I'm being super dumb and have missed it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's no storage box? I have alot of resources and don't want to give anything up yet and I assumed there was some form of storage system :(

Nope, the best you can do is craft item capacity upgrade items. 100 limit on resources is decent for a while, but there's no permanent storage to store overflowing items. Once you start reaching the limit, you're either gonna have to sell stuff, use it or discard it.

KoL

Holy shit. I ended last night with 40 hours played. I don't think I've played any game in a while that has made me play so much in such a short amount of time.

Also for those who have 100% the game, how many side quests did it say you have done?
I've done
about to do another.

I've done 22.

Finished the game last name and man what a game. Loved everything, graphics, music, combat, story. Aloy is one of my favorite protagonist.

Ferr986

One thing I noticed is that there's no storms? Like actual lightning strikes while raining?
I remember seeing them in pre release shots? or I'm wrong?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm still very early in the game, any tips for targeting the canister on a sawtooth's belly?

Rope caster to bring it down then use concentrate and fire away.

Rope casters are secretly the best weapons in the game.

One thing I noticed is that there's no storms? Like actual lightning strikes while raining?

There are definitely dust storms, I don't recall seeing any thunderstorms but would absolutely have loved them. Imagine Red Dead's thunderstorms in this engine.

WITHE1982

I'm still very early in the game, any tips for targeting the canister on a sawtooth's belly?

They're one of the hardest canisters to catch a sight of. I'd recommend just using shock tripcaster ammo and taking it down to give yourself a better chance.

Even with concentration + (slowing down time) you can only really get at the canister from behind.

cheesekao

IIRC, one of the devs said they contemplated having lightning strike Aloy during storms but they decided not to for whatever reason. Not sure why they didn't at least just put it in as regular weather though.

eizarus

Banned

Horizon 2: African Dawn! Featuring Transformers: Beast Wars.

LiK

I think I completed the Cauldrons and Tallnecks too quickly. Now I feel empty. Guess I'll continue the story.

They're one of the hardest canisters to catch a sight of. I'd recommend just using shock tripcaster ammo and taking it down to give yourself a better chance.

Even with concentration + (slowing down time) you can only really get at the canister from behind.

I've literally only hit it once so far. And that was due to a lucky slide plus slow motion while the sawtooth was leaping.

This game just continues to impress over and over.

I find myself doing every bit of side content, errands, bandit camps etc just to be able to spend more time in the world. There's some really good narrative and world building in a lot of the side quests too, which I was not expecting. Almost W3 levels for some of it.

Probably gonna skip the collect a thon stuff. They should've had better rewards for those. As it stands, slaying big baddies is probably a much more economical way to spend your time if you're just after very rare mods.

I'm in the main quest where I need to
Go find Orin at the excavation site
and I'm level 45, with what feels like a lot of game left (hopefully).

This game is just an astonishing achievment for a team that's never built an open world RPGish action game like this before. Like others have said, I will gladly fork over a chunk of money for DLC; whatever lets me spend more time in this world.

Valonquar

This game is so freaking good. Spent pretty much the entire weekend with it. I pushed ahead with storyline to unlock the last 3 power cells for the sheild weave...
sort of disappointing it doesn't look like the armor sitting there, but cool nonetheless.

There's still a good bit of side quests to knock out. Seem like each side quest or errand is a pretty long chain of stuff. Very easy to get sidetracked along the way too. Fun stuff!

Mupod

Slide under it and slowmo shoot it for style points. You may or may not get blown up along with the cat. This actually works REALLY well for Bellowbacks though.

Ferr986

IIRC, one of the devs said they contemplated having lightning strike Aloy during storms but they decided not to for whatever reason. Not sure why they didn't at least just put it in as regular weather though.

Hmmm, didn't know that, but yeah, I agree with you. I don't think it would be good being randomly hit by a lightning strike, but they should still have been put in rainy weathers. I love thunderstorms and damn, they would have looked amazing with this engine.

There are definitely dust storms, I don't recall seeing any thunderstorms but would absolutely have loved them. Imagine Red Dead's thunderstorms in this engine.

Exactly!

Jotaka

http://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-z...om-lightning-strikes-but-it-just-felt-unfair/

"We had some prototypes, for example, we had some lightning strikes that would randomly hit enemies or randomly hit the player," he says. "But it just felt unfair because you have no control over it, it just naturally happens and suddenly you have a lot of damage. So we took that out in the end."

Wollan

The story in this game has provided me with a surprising amount of mouth-agape moments. A few of them from last night (near end-game, Major spoilers) :
Project Zero Dawn. Holy Shit.
...The trapped children being out of control without human supervision and screaming and rebelling...
...the guilt/betrayal by Ted Faro...
...Sylens complete backstory...
...Aloy and Elisabeth connection and sacrifice...
Also really interesting to see how Aloy has to balance her knowledge against the superficial beliefs of her tribe.
Yet to finish the game btw but getting close.

433.jpg

Also, if someone has a solid strat for Rockbreakers, I'm all ears. Can deal with everything else pretty much no problem, but those guys are annoying, and I find myself just using corruption arrows and sitting around wating for them to kill each other, which is kinda boring...

Trying to get certain materials to craft is annoying. Killed like 10 Boars in a row and still no Boar skin.

That would've been cool, tbh. Couldn't they just make Aloy immune to lightning strikes?
I'm struggling with finding rabbit skins and fish bones right now

X-Frame

If only all the robots I overridden were able to travel with me, it'd be one hell of a sight.

My new favorite robot after the Sawtooth is the Behemoth. It's got some straight Final Fantasy abilities.

vypek

Also, if someone has a solid strat for Rockbreakers, I'm all ears. Can deal with everything else pretty much no problem, but those guys are annoying, and I find myself just using corruption arrows and sitting around wating for them to kill each other, which is kinda boring...

My go to strategy right now is setting blast wires like crazy and when they are up I aim for their paws. Hardest fight so far for me was probably two of the corrupted ones at once. Blow of components and then concentrate and fire as much as I can to bring off parts

I was 20 hours into the game before I realized Aloy can dodge roll into a light attack lol

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Trying to get certain materials to craft is annoying. Killed like 10 Boars in a row and still no Boar skin.

That would've been cool, tbh. Couldn't they just make Aloy immune to lightning strikes?
There's a side quest early on that takes you to an area that's TEEMING with constantly spawning boars. Got enough materials for life from there.

Which is kinda neat because it's the first time a "kill some boars" quest has had some actual utility.

LiK

I'm struggling with finding rabbit skins and fish bones right now

Fish bones is also a chore.

There's a side quest early on that takes you to an area that's TEEMING with constantly spawning boars. Got enough materials for life from there.

Which is kinda neat because it's the first time a "kill some boars" quest has had some actual utility.

yea, i did the minimum and left. Didn't expect the RNG to be this brutal.

The underlying themes and story are interesting but beyond that, the game is just an uninspired grab bag of elements borrowed from every action-adventure game of the last 10 years. I really am stunned by the reception this crap has gotten.

Floody

Just roll to the side like a crazy person and hope their BS hitbox doesn't screw you. As for what weapon to use, I recommend triple shot precision arrows, with high damage mods and focus on the pretty big green weak point in the middle of them. My bow was really strong and almost 1 shot destroy their weak point.

Question regarding Nil: Can you find him for every bandit camp? I did everyone but only found hin on the first two, after that I raided every camp and met him again to finish the quest.

LiK

The underlying themes and story are interesting but beyond that, the game is just an uninspired grab bag of elements borrowed from every action-adventure game of the last 10 years. I really am stunned by the reception this crap has gotten.

Def inspired by many other recent games but I think they improved their mechanics a lot and the story and characters are interesting so I think it deserves the praise.

Anung

Un Rama
Is there anyway to disable the horrible black vignetting at the bottom of the screen? It's really distracting me now in cutscenes.

News at ten - not everyone has the same taste in games as you.

eizarus

Banned

Member since 2015, yet 7 posts, all of which were within the past 24 hours and just shitting on Horizon. All you come across as is a troll who has likely not even played a minute of the game. Good try, bro.
not really

Of course, you are allowed to have your opinions, however, the above information just classes it all under the title of shitpost.

My go to strategy right now is setting blast wires like crazy and when they are up I aim for their paws. Hardest fight so far for me was probably two of the corrupted ones at once. Blow of components and then concentrate and fire as much as I can to bring off parts

I was 20 hours into the game before I realized Aloy can dodge roll into a light attack lol

Ahhhh, okay. That's a solid plan.

One of the things i love is how different the fights play out. That same corrupted fight was actually easy for me. Right across the river was a Behemoth convoy and three shell walkers corrupted em all with arrows and they just strolled across the river and started shit with the rockbreakers.

The Behemoth probably chipped half off of both of them before his noble death. shell walkers did a bit more and then I just sat across the river taking pot shots to chip them down.

These types of emergent moments that are so unique are hallmarks of super well built worlds and gameplay.

One thing I have noticed though, is there do seem to be some pretty hard fences on where enemies will go. It seems difficult to control a big enemy and kite them into another group sometimes. Once they get a certain distance from their "area" they sort of refuse to follow any further, regardles off how close you are. not sure if anyone else experienced that?

It would be cool if you could control them a bit more directly, but that would literally be game breaking if you could do it with thunderjaw or stormbird....

Not sure what the answer there is, but maybe a challenge they can solve in HZD 2

Just roll to the side like a crazy person and hope their BS hitbox doesn't screw you. As for what weapon to use, I recommend triple shot precision arrows, with high damage mods and focus on the pretty big green weak point in the middle of them. My bow was really strong and almost 1 shot destroy their weak point.

Coooool. Where is the green spot? on the side? back? stomach?

vypek

Try 30 hours with finally realizing that you can tag multiple enemies....

Oh man, I feel a lot of fights would be a hassle without tagging. Doable but just a little more difficult. But better late than never, right?

Question regarding Nil: Can you find him for every bandit camp? I did everyone but only found hin on the first two, after that I raided every camp and met him again to finish the quest.

He is only at a couple of them. You won't see him at all of the.

eizarus

Banned
Ahhhh, okay. That's a solid plan.

One of the things i love is how different the fights play out. That same corrupted fight was actually easy for me. Right across the river was a Behemoth convoy and three shell walkers corrupted em all with arrows and they just strolled across the river and started shit with the rockbreakers.

The Behemoth probably chipped half off of both of them before his noble death. shell walkers did a bit more and then I just sat across the river taking pot shots to chip them down.

These types of emergent moments that are so unique are hallmarks of super well built worlds and gameplay.

One thing I have noticed though, is there do seem to be some pretty hard fences on where enemies will go. It seems difficult to control a big enemy and kite them into another group sometimes. Once they get a certain distance from their "area" they sort of refuse to follow any further, regardles off how close you are. not sure if anyone else experienced that?

It would be cool if you could control them a bit more directly, but that would literally be game breaking if you could do it with thunderjaw or stormbird....

Not sure what the answer there is, but maybe a challenge they can solve in HZD 2

Coooool. Where is the green spot? on the side? back? stomach?

Ya'll making me scared of trying to fight a behemoth considering I hate fighting Fire Bellowbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom