• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cauldron XI...

Billy-D_Approves.gif

decises to explore the first gauntlet and man that boss is kicking my ass on hard . I'm a level 15 (pretty sure it recommends a level 8 ) and this guy just stomps all over me lol

I shall destroy him soon. Using tear arrows but not sure what else its weaknesses are .

Gauntlet = Cauldron? If so, use shock wires to stun the boss and perform critical attacks.

Ricker

Just realised fumbling around trying to kill those Gauntbird something that when you are fully strung out with a bow if you hit square she holds the bow sideways,gangsta style lol ;) ;P

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cool way of doing a tutorial. getting some Nu-Tomb Raider vibes early on (oh no the horror...except im one of the few people that like the nu-TR games lol), kinda like what those games wanted to be but couldnt quite do it.

Its also very pretty, as expected. Its... its Witcher 3 pretty if that makes sense. No this isnt a comparison, lets not whip our dicks out, just, it strikes me like Witcher 3 did on PC.

I really like the voice acting aswell, in fact I would almost go as far as saying its up there as one of my favorite things so far. I like the world building going on, and the universe its building aswell, cool stuff.

This is all very early impressions obviously, I barely just got to Aloy proper, I played like 45mins if that. And with that, back to it I go.

Oh yeah, do you end up getting all the skills or does one have to be careful with the choices? Hopefully I didnt fuck up already lol.

Just wanted to chime in not at the point that I can really comment to well on the game, but damn its like an Ursula K LeGuin world come to life. Just amazing visually and the story is nice too, combat is a bit to easy, but I guess I can raise the difficulty later. On hard mode on issues so far about to hit the metal ring with war chief.

P.s. Is that really Ashely Birch from hey Ash watcha playing in the main role? Had no idea she could do such a good role.

For shell walkers, tear off it's shell first. Then tear off it's bomb claw, then finish off his other claw. Once you do all 3 of those you can pretty much just sit there and they can't do much of anything. Precision arrows and tearblast arrows are best, but bomb sling is also good. They're extremely easy to take down once you blast their components off, just like with most other dinos in the game.

Excellent, thanks!

Also need to get the hang of ropes. For some reason the only times I've used it the machines kind of ignored it and weren't held in place. They just do a charge attack at me and it breaks them free in the process. My buddy told me to shock them first before roping.

UCBooties

So I did the first Hunting lodge outside of the Embrace. Usually I really dislike timed challenges but I had a lot of fun with this. I had to retry a few times to get the full reward but I still enjoyed doing it. Are the later Hunting lodges good too or do they get frustrating or boring?

So I did the first Hunting lodge outside of the Embrace. Usually I really dislike timed challenges but I had a lot of fun with this. I had to retry a few times to get the full reward but I still enjoyed doing it. Are the later Hunting lodges good too or do they get frustrating or boring?

There good IMO.
They don't get frustrating if have right tools .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you go back and do the tutorials if you originally skipped them? I can see them on my quest list but they don't seem to show up on my map anywhere?

Kazdane

I've only played 10 hours so far, and going mostly on sidequests, but I'm having a blast. I rarely enjoy open world games, but the Witcher 3 and Horizon have been great. My only complaint so far is that rain gets a tad too extreme and makes visibility pretty difficult

Ricker

Can you go back and do the tutorials if you originally skipped them? I can see them on my quest list but they don't seem to show up on my map anywhere?

Yep...go back to an easy campfire and just do what it says,on anything really if you want to make it easier...like killing 3 machines with one blastsling shot...dont try that on Sawtooth's for example ;) ;P

Mash83

I did the
Rockbreaker
fight last night and wow. Kicked my ass for a minute there until I could get the dodge timing down. Gave me some Dark Souls vibes.

Datafiend

Neo Member
Does the CE dlc affect the game balance in anyway? I picked up CE for the statue but I will skip activating the DLC if it affects the balance in anyway.

vypek

Like weapon tutorials? Those don't have a map point. You have to follow the instructions independently wherever you are.

SerTapTap

cool way of doing a tutorial. getting some Nu-Tomb Raider vibes early on (oh no the horror...except im one of the few people that like the nu-TR games lol), kinda like what those games wanted to be but couldnt quite do it.

Oh yeah, do you end up getting all the skills or does one have to be careful with the choices? Hopefully I didnt fuck up already lol.

I was legit like "oh no" when I saw "CAMPFIRE DISCOVERED" lol. But nah, it doesn't do any of the stuff people don't like about new Tomb Raider IMO.

On your second point, nothing is missable, everything is permitted. I'd get the stealth kill, critical hit and most of the Forager tree ASAP though. The combat trees have a lot of dead air IMO. I always forget to notch multiple arrows and the higher level stealth kills are so rarely applicable.

Though, a tip: you can straight up just jump over an enemy from even slightly higher ground to do a "from above" stealth kill (without any form of stealth), kinda funny.

decises to explore the first gauntlet and man that boss is kicking my ass on hard . I'm a level 15 (pretty sure it recommends a level 8 ) and this guy just stomps all over me lol

I shall destroy him soon. Using tear arrows but not sure what else its weaknesses are .

If you're fighting the Bellowback, Tearblast arrows aren't actually of much value (those don't have much to tear off). Pin him down with ropes and puncture it's liquid containers.

They're all good IMO. I'm not sure there's a single one I had to attempt more than three times to get Blazing. Felt a little on the easy side, but if I find them easy they're probably just about right to be possible for a wide range of players.

The weapon tutorials? Just go to the quest list and re-activate the tutorial quest, it'll only track when it's active.

They don't show up on the map .
You can do them at any time but you must have the quest active .( GG should not have it that way )

Excellent, thanks!

Also need to get the hang of ropes. For some reason the only times I've used it the machines kind of ignored it and weren't held in place. They just do a charge attack at me and it breaks them free in the process. My buddy told me to shock them first before roping.

They actually work semi-realistically. You have to tie them down on a few sides, not just the front. Side step around as you're tying them down.

Oh. Thats odd. If I remember correctly, I first met him outside of a bandit camp near the first tallneck (level 7) I ran into. I wonder if he is locked out of your game now. If he is going to be at a bandit camp he will be near the closest campfire outside the camp.

No, you're right. I did meet him there but haven't seen him after that...

SerTapTap

Oh shit
Lt. Cedric Daniels just showed up
. Minor voice actor spoiler, btw.

I couldn't believe that either, amazing casting

They don't show up on the map .
You can do them at any time but you must have them active .( GG should not have it that way )

Yeah it's weird, they're the absolute only quests you have to set active to actually perform and it's so easy to accidentally have them overridden. I do love the tutorial-as-quest thing. No stupid overlays just "here's a cool thing you can do with this weapon, go do it and get XP"

vypek

No, you're right. I did meet him there but haven't seen him after that...

You may have just bypassed him by accident then. After you clear the last camp you should get another quest option right away to go talk to him. If that doesn't show up I'd expect its some sort of bug or something and he is not gonna show up again at all

krae_man

Man I need to pay more attention to what I'm biying.

"You need the Carja Tripcaster for this quest"

*Buys the Carja Slingshot by mistake*

Great now I need to earn 200 shards again grrr.

LiK

Does the CE dlc affect the game balance in anyway? I picked up CE for the statue but I will skip activating the DLC if it affects the balance in anyway.

Not really, the stats aren't that much better than most of the early gear. You'll be able to buy better gear later on. Her CE outfits look absolutely ridiculous compared to the vanilla gear tho.

I did the
Rockbreaker
fight last night and wow. Kicked my ass for a minute there until I could get the dodge timing down. Gave me some Dark Souls vibes.
I actually think that what Souls game did with close combat melee, Horizon did it with long range combat.

Not talking about stamina management since Horizon didnt even have stamina bar. But in term of having really fun combat with huge enemies that feel really intense and dangerous. You have to really pay attention to ebemies and surrounding, and have clear strategy on how to tackle the enemies.

It's a very satisfying combat system. The sense of relief when I survive a tough fight is similar with when I beat a boss in souls game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ok, this is probably a rather stupid question as I may have missed this info earlier on, but.. I did
the first cauldron
last night, and when you fight t
he huge robot at the end, it occasionally shows some purple, glowing parts. Are these weak points, and how do you most effectively hit these? Use focus and just aim at them
?

Not really, the stats aren't that much better than most of the early gear. You'll be able to buy better gear later on. Her CE outfits look absolutely ridiculous compared to the vanilla gear tho.

Nah her DLC outfits are broken .
They perform much better than the stats have .

If you're fighting the Bellowback, Tearblast arrows aren't actually of much value (those don't have much to tear off). Pin him down with ropes and puncture it's liquid containers.
That's how you're supposed to beat them? I usually just use the frozen sling bombs...still get my ass whooped though...

SerTapTap

So I got the special armor in that one bunker,
I can't tell if I'm disappointed that when you get the armor it's actually blended into a Nora-styled outfit. I was looking forward to the cool techy armor, but I guess they didn't want you to go around the rest of the game looking like Isaac Clarke

Ok, this is probably a rather stupid question as I may have missed this info earlier on, but.. I did
the first cauldron
he huge robot at the end, it occasionally shows some purple, glowing parts. Are these weak points, and how do you most effectively hit these? Use focus and just aim at them
?

Purple glow just means you hit a destructible part (either armor or a weak point; easy to tell which by how much damage you do, green up arrow and lots of damage was a weak point, 1 digit damage and a red arrow was armor). And yeah, highlight the enemy in Focus mode to see the weakpoints highlighted in yellow briefly.

Surprised you didn't notice before, it's a pretty critical aspect of combat. Lots of weakpoints have interesting effects like elemental explosions if punctured/hit with the right element, disabling attacks. You can read up on them in the menu's bestiary.

That's how you're supposed to beat them? I usually just use the frozen sling bombs...still get my ass whooped though...

I mean, that works, but try to puncture the sacs (but don't be too close; elemental explosions hurt you too). While it's frozen hit one of the sacs real hard with arrows. Hardpoint will puncture faster but it's not necessary.

Bellowbacks seem to have the least severe weakpoints of all enemies, there doesn't seem to be any easy/major way to disable them and breaking their important parts takes so much damage they're usually half dead by then anyway.

LiK

Nah her DLC outfits are broken .
They perform much better than the stats have .

oh really? i didn't really test them out. i prefer seeing more of her face lol.

i actually switch to a Carja outfit which showed the most skin and her face. It's a sexy ass outfit so I use it when I'm in the towns and cities, lol

Mash83

I actually think that what Souls game did with close combat melee, Horizon did it with long range combat.

Not talking about stamina management since Horizon didnt even have stamina bar. But in term of having really fun combat with huge enemies that feel really intense and dangerous. You have to really pay attention to ebemies and surrounding, and have clear strategy on how to tackle the enemies.

It's a very satisfying combat system. The sense of relief when I survive a tough fight is similar with when I beat a boss in souls game.

Thats exactly how I felt after I beat it. Should have been a trophy called "Prey Slaughtered"

Timexy

Neo Member
the first cauldron
?

The glowing parts can be weakpoints, utilities/weapons or resources. You should check the machines bio to understand what the glowing parts are and how to best exploit them. Like, some are detachable weapons that you can use against the machines themselves.

Yeah, there are lots of posts with people saying corruption arrows/stealth/ropecaster/sling/their preferred strategy is OP. But I think the point is if you're prepared and in control of the fight you can win easily, but when things get out of control you can also die pretty quickly. For me it's been more about learning the best way to approach each scenario, as well as being able to improvise fast when things start to head south. It's definitely a game that makes me feel like I'm improving as I play it, and that's really gratifying.

Yup, I think you nailed it. And someone eluded to it earlier also, but leveling is far less impactful in this game than learning to deal with certain scenarios and having knowledge of what your enemies are capable of.

There are a few abilities that definitely help (triple arrow knocking and the long roll), but even those are still less important than having a comprehensive understanding of how to approach each enemy, and knowing what their abilities are.

For me personally, that's huge. I've been doing everything before the main quest stuff, and even at level 45, starting to just get into the Meridian quests, it's still challenging. That's a tough tight rope to walk; letting a player have the freedom to "over level" but still presenting challenge.

I mean, that works, but try to puncture the sacs (but don't be too close; elemental explosions hurt you too). While it's frozen hit one of the sacs real hard with arrows. Hardpoint will puncture faster but it's not necessary.

Bellowbacks seem to have the least severe weakpoints of all enemies, there doesn't seem to be any easy/major way to disable them and breaking their important parts takes so much damage they're usually half dead by then anyway.
Those things are so aggressive that between spin dashing away from fireballs and charges that I really can't puncture a sack until it's half dead any way. The fights are intense. Granted that was before I got the Shadow Bow.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Purple glow just means you hit a destructible part (either armor or a weak point; easy to tell which by how much damage you do, green up arrow and lots of damage was a weak point, 1 digit damage and a red arrow was armor). And yeah, highlight the enemy in Focus mode to see the weakpoints highlighted in yellow briefly.

Surprised you didn't notice before, it's a pretty critical aspect of combat. Lots of weakpoints have interesting effects like elemental explosions if punctured/hit with the right element, disabling attacks. You can read up on them in the menu's bestiary.

The glowing parts can be weakpoints, utilities/weapons or resources. You should check the machines bio to understand what the glowing parts are and how to best exploit them. Like, some are detachable weapons that you can use against the machines themselves.

Ah, thanks. I've mostly just been using arrows and melee without really using focus in battle, so never really noticed the purple weakpoints, just the yellow glowing points. I was out of medicinal herbs and health potions and nearly dead when fighting the one at the end of the first cauldron, so I just said fuck it and went melee on its ass and killed with with barely a sliver of health left myself :p

Ferr986

lmao the fucking Playstation Spain official Twitter fav'ed a pic from someone with a pic of a message at the end of the game that it clearly contain spoilers and it showed in my feed.

I kind of avoiding reading it after a point so I'm not sure how much did I got spoiled but how you can be this fucking DUMB?

Time to me to make Twitter not show what people I follow fav'ed

vypek

I'd love if they patched in a new game+. Haven't heard anything about it existing so if its there when I beat the game I will be very happy

Timexy

Neo Member
Ah, thanks. I've mostly just been using arrows and melee without really using focus in battle, so never really noticed the purple weakpoints, just the yellow glowing points. I was out of medicinal herbs and health potions and nearly dead when fighting the one at the end of the first cauldron, so I just said fuck it and went melee on its ass and killed with with barely a sliver of health left myself :p

Yeah, for me the first Cauldron was the hardest, mainly because I wasn't ready in terms of knowledge and equipment. The others were way easier in comparison.

Speaking of cauldrons what's the recommended order in terms of difficulty?

Quest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom