• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

Bacon denied!

https://youtu.be/q1Y3t0x3T0M

slGa9dC.gif

I kinda did the same, but with the other mini gun that shoots sticking bombs or whatever those are on peaceful NPCs.

It was funny seeing them walking while the bombs kept exploding and they didn't react one bit.

05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I honestly don't think I have ever played an RPG or an open-world game with combat that is so much fun, it's so surprisingly deep as well. There is a lot of scope to be good at it.

I do two camps that are near bonfires, 3 per camp that's 6... And I've done two rounds so that makes twelve kills without a heart. Plus a couple random kills, 14.

I had the same issue with trampler hearts before someone told me I could buy one. I killed like 10 tramplers and didn't get a heart

So how are the cauldrons? Are there any elements of puzzle solving? Id lovveeee puzzle solving in an open world

Nope, no puzzle solving, just some platforming and fighting, but they are awesome to look at and explore.

For a sequel I would love if there were some puzzles to solve, the world they created lends itself to be able to create some interesting puzzle elements.

Kalentan

Anyone else feel like the biggest thing they need to make for the Sequel is...

More options for melee? Like I really wish we weren't limited to the spear and had maybe some combos to use for melee attacks. Doesn't need to be on the level of Nioh but something more than just heavy and light attacks.

Like I would love if I could knock down a Glinthawk to the ground and then take a warhammer and slam it into the birdshits head.

SerTapTap

You can instead hit weak points for massive damage.

hm, I'll try it but I usually use the quick bow for my main damage source. Hardpoint arrows when needed. Sharpshot just felt a bit too slow but the tearblast is critical

Do i have to go out and farm plants for health or can i buy them somewhere? Got loads of shards.

You can buy them from almost any trader, in the potions section. I don't even bother farming plants anymore.

Ferr986

whaaaaaat? M
eridian
is 20%? lol I'm not there yet and I have 20 hours played

I'm afraid I've got some Bad News...

There are a gold Lodge war bow, lodge blast sling and Lodge ropecaster though. You'll have to complete the hunters trials with all blazing suns to get them.

Other than that, I would also like to know if there are any other special weapons.

oh, ok. Now I know I'll never get those weapons

Chance

Eh, I'm kinda with Bitmap. Granted, I can knock two or three tear arrows, but I'd rather knock an extra tear arrow and then buff damage (what all three slots are for me) so when you're using the high damage arrows on sharpshooter bow (name escapes me), for something like a thunderjaw weakspot, you're really pouring on the damage.

Putting a triple-notch three-purple-damage-mods shots into the heart of a frozen Thunderjaw?

Just right.jpg

My Thunderjaw takedowns have gotten so pro lately. A few Tearblast arrows to remove the disc launchers and side armor. A triple-notch freeze shot with a freeze-modded war bow - maybe some ropes if it's in a bad position - and then WHAM with the Sharpshooter's bow. It does absolutely ridiculous damage and is way more satisfying than like a Bellowback explosion.

You were so scary once, Thunderjaw, but Aloy is master, here.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
hm, I'll try it but I usually use the quick bow for my main damage source. Hardpoint arrows when needed. Sharpshot just felt a bit too slow but the tearblast is critical

I am playing on Hard and a "boss" machine died in 3 or 4 volleys. Two (or was it 3) volleys destroyed one weak point, the last volley on the other weakpoint. I'm using the 3 arrows technique, tension to max then go into concentration for the shot.

Razgreez

Did 1.03 make the robos more tanky or something. I was OHKO longhorns by the stormbird area and now they always have a sliver left after the silent strike. Don't recall modifying my mods :?

SerTapTap

I am playing on Hard and a "boss" machine died in 3 or 4 volleys. Two (or was it 3) volleys destroyed one weak point, the last volley on the other weakpoint. I'm using the 3 arrows technique, tension to max then go into concentration for the shot.

Huh, interesting. I never bother notching multiple arrows (it's kind of just enough effort that I use it just rarely enough to forget it's a thing), I'll have to try that.

Anyone else very impressed with the trek to Meridian? It's long and full of beautiful scenery as well as new dino-mechs not seen before.

More like scared to bits, lol. I ran from everything holy crap. Though I wasn't even supposed to be there yet until I started to learn about elements and weaknesses. And that stormbird is kinda rude lol.

How amazing and privileged do the guys and girls at Guerilla feel. They have made FPS games first and foremost. KillZone 2 was highly pushed as one of the better FPS's on the console market, but KillZone 3 and ShadowFall were good games but nothing spectacular.

They put their heads together after KillZone 3 and probably decided; ''Friends... Let us try something else''

And then.. 6 years later. This game happens. The most expensive media production in The Netherlands and one of the most dangerous endeavors a company like Guerilla could have done. The amount of things that could have gone wrong with this game were bigger in comparison to the chances of this game succeeding.

They made an amazing game. One could argue the average review score of 88 should have been higher, but I am going to stray far away from that discussion. Guerilla tried and succeeded in their first try. This gets me excited for what they can do with the sequel of this incredible new start of a franchise.

Sony... Throw money at Guerilla Games for the sequel. They deserve it.

I have one single but really big (for me) rant about this game.

Why can't we buy multiple items at once? We can sell items in multiples, but not buy them :|

It's anoying when I need to buy 80-100 ropes...

Putting a triple-notch three-purple-damage-mods shots into the heart of a frozen Thunderjaw?

Just right.jpg

My Thunderjaw takedowns have gotten so pro lately. A few Tearblast arrows to remove the disc launchers and side armor. A triple-notch freeze shot with a freeze-modded war bow - maybe some ropes if it's in a bad position - and then WHAM with the Sharpshooter's bow. It does absolutely ridiculous damage and is way more satisfying than like a Bellowback explosion.

You were so scary once, Thunderjaw, but Aloy is master, here.

Honestly, TJ has gotten a bit too easy. When you open with those tear arrows, as long as you can safely find a way to get to the disc launcher you just knocked off, It's damn near game over. Usually takes down ~75% of its health, if not killing it outright, and then you just clean up what's left with ropecaster and damage arrows.

Interesting that you go for freeze tho instead of the disc launcher. Really cool that there are a variety of totally workable approaches.

Chance

How amazing and privileged do the guys and girls at Guerilla feel. They have made FPS games first and foremost. KillZone 2 was highly pushed as one of the better FPS's on the console market, but KillZone 3 and ShadowFall were good games but nothing spectacular.

They put their heads together after KillZone 3 and probably decided; ''Friends... Let us try something else''

And then.. 6 years later. This game happens. The most expensive media production in The Netherlands and one of the most dangerous endeavors a company like Guerilla could have done. The amount of things that could have gone wrong with this game were bigger in comparison to the chances of this game succeeding.

They made an amazing game. One could argue the average review score of 88 should have been higher, but I am going to stray far away from that discussion. Guerilla tried and succeeded in their first try. This gets me excited for what they can do with the sequel of this incredible new start of a franchise.

Sony... Throw money at Guerilla Games for the sequel. They deserve it.

I think I saw an interview somewhere where Guerrilla said Horizon was one of several pitches presented to Sony, and by far the "riskiest" of the bunch. Kudos to Sony for rolling the (very, very expensive) dice,and Guerrilla for pulling it off with exceptional panache.

This has to be the most surprise of a big hit ever. At least in the last two gens.

Nah i always knew GG had it in them
They were already tech \art gods and there gameplay was good.
They did lore good also but there in game stories suck .
As soon as i saw the hired people for that i knew this game would be great .

Was waiting for them to branch out since KZ2 and it is amazing .

I honestly don't think I have ever played an RPG or an open-world game with combat that is so much fun, it's so surprisingly deep as well. There is a lot of scope to be good at it.

It's the main reason why I don't understand the "it doesn't do anything new" argument. The robots and the way you fight against them and their behavior is pretty much a selling point to me. I think the only open world games that got my attention on combat are Shadow of Mordor and Batman Arkham series but nothing is as spectacular as Horizon.

kriskrosbbk

Help me understand something cause it might be wrong.I put all my damage coils on the sharpshooter bow and all my fire damage coils on the my hunter bow.Should I maybe spread them and put some damage on the hunter as well?
Maybe now that I just bought a purple Hunter bow is the time to do it ? And on top of that there are the Tear coils. Please help.

Chance

Honestly, TJ has gotten a bit too easy. When you open with those tear arrows, as long as you can safely find a way to get to the disc launcher you just knocked off, It's damn near game over. Usually takes down ~75% of its health, if not killing it outright, and then you just clean up what's left with ropecaster and damage arrows.

Interesting that you go for freeze tho instead of the disc launcher. Really cool that there are a variety of totally workable approaches.

I find I get myself into trouble trying to wrangle the launcher and set up shots (I frickin' hated that
Hunter trial
). I always want to go for the heart with it, even though it doesn't need it.

Next time I should tear the pods off, freeze and try the launcher. I feel like heavy weapons are best used on far less scary prey, though. Applying it to like a herd of Grazers is never less than hilarious.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the stealth kill from grass a story thing? I dont see it in the skill tree, I got the whistle.

Chance

Help me understand something cause it might be wrong.I put all my damage coils on the sharpshooter bow and all my fire damage coils on the my hunter bow.Should I maybe spread them and put some damage on the hunter as well?

Depends what you use your Hunter's bow for. The +fire will let you apply the fire effect super-quickly, and damage coils on the sharpshooter make it far and away the most powerful single hit you have.

Frankly I have the same setup. I rarely use the fire DoT, though, and pretty much only use my Hunter's bow for killin' humans and prey animals. Maybe I should change it up.

I find I get myself into trouble trying to wrangle the launcher and set up shots (I frickin' hated that
Hunter trial
). I always want to go for the heart with it, even though it doesn't need it.

Next time I should tear the pods off, freeze and try the launcher. I feel like heavy weapons are best used on far less scary prey, though. Applying it to like a herd of Grazers is never less than hilarious.

Good call.

Does the freezing damage buff only apply to certain types of follow up damage (hardpoint arrows, the damage sharpshooter arrows) or does it apply to all damage?

Shit, if it's all, you could tearblast off the disc launcher, freeze with war bow, and go grab the launcher while it's slow and it would be game. over.

Racoons skin refuses to drop for me ;_;

This is another one of my nit picks. The RNG on animal loot is kinda shitty. Watching a racoon or fox drop a blue and having it be the talisman skull is heart wrenching when you've been at it for an hour....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it's one of the first-row skill upgrades. I think it's named Silent Strike.

how did I miss it then :(

oh well, 1 shotting watchers with a arrow to the face is super satisfying I guess.

Good call.
This is another one of my nit picks. The RNG on animal loot is kinda shitty. Watching a racoon or fox drop a blue and having it be the talisman skull is heart wrenching when you've been at it for an hour....
Literally every other skin has dropped at one point for me. Racoons skin still hasn't after 25 hours.

kriskrosbbk

Depends what you use your Hunter's bow for. The +fire will let you apply the fire effect super-quickly, and damage coils on the sharpshooter make it far and away the most powerful single hit you have.

Frankly I have the same setup. I rarely use the fire DoT, though, and pretty much only use my Hunter's bow for killin' humans and prey animals. Maybe I should change it up.

Do you have the Shadow hunter bow (just bought it)? It has a third arrow called Hardpoint which I assume is pure damage arrow which requires Damage coils on that bow.

Literally every other skin has dropped at one point for me. Racoons skin still hasn't after 25 hours.

Right. I like the "Overwatch" loot box approach that lets you option out of RNG at some point. In overwatch, you get coins for dupes of stuff you don't want so that eventually you can buy the stuff you do.

In Horizon, you should be able to trade like 5 or 10 of a lesser mat (bones prolly) or 3-5 of a similar mat (skins) from other animals so that if you really do just keep getting bad RNG rolls, at least there's a ceiling where you'll eventually get what you need.

I really like what GG has done with the weapon and outfit system, here. It's varied enough to give you flexibility to craft your play style, but consistent enough that you carry your behaviors from a setup to any other. It also gives incentive to try stuff out and each and every weapon and mod has use cases.

Only things I'd change are adding another rarer tier of unique mods; and making it so the mods do some cosmetic changes to outfits and weapons (e.g. melee defense mods add more/thicker plating, ranged defense add more coverage or change materials or something - kinda like higher tiers of an outfit class are "improved" versions, cosmetically, but more granular).

Chance

Do you have the Shadow hunter bow (just bought it)? It has a third arrow called Hardpoint which I assume is pure damage arrow which requires Damage coils on that bow.

Yep, hardpoints basically just do more damage. They're like a midrange between the Sharpshooter's heavy damage and the normal Hunter shots - but they're also cheap to craft. Best thing for Watchers, humans, et cetera.

But again, if you use the fire arrows more than hardpoint, you'd want +fire coils. As an alternative, there's nothing stopping you from having TWO Hunter's bows with different coil setups.

I've got two War bows - one for +freeze and one for +shock, but I hate swapping them out. I really should start experimenting with corruption!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom