• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Playing on a pro with a 4K tv.... I can't get over how this game looks. I keep stopping to scan the scenery and say Goddamn. Upgrading to 4K before this was meh at best. But if this is a preview of gaming to come, oh baby.

It's just so clean.

I don't want this game to end yet I must know what happens so I'll keep continuing with the main story. About 35 hours in and 52% completion level 37

BigDug13

Playing on a pro with a 4K tv.... I can't get over how this game looks. I keep stopping to scan the scenery and say Goddamn. Upgrading to 4K before this was meh at best. But if this is a preview of gaming to come, oh baby.

It's just so clean.

I'm willing to be this game alone was responsible for a lot of 4K sales. Especially with the recent sale of 55" Samsung KS models.

I was definitely one of them. Feels good to finally flex my Pro's full strength.

Showaddy

The heavy weapons which you can blow off bots are so broken... Absolutely wrecked a Thunderjaw with it's disc launcher and cleaned out the Snapmaw cauldron boss in like 10 seconds with the laser cannon that fell off the back of a Ravager.

Gonna purposefully avoid using them from now on unless shit really gets real.

A.J.

Banned
The heavy weapons which you can blow off bots are so broken... Absolutely wrecked a Thunderjaw with it's disc launcher and cleaned out the Snapmaw cauldron boss in like 10 seconds with the laser cannon that fell off the back of a Ravager.

Gonna purposefully avoid using them from now on unless shit really gets real.

Don't worry. That shit is useless against Stormbirds.

Did that mission where I had to beat the mission where you have to find some dude's weapons off a Snapmaw, intense. Thank god I leveled up my spear attacks, wasn't expecting to get scrappers and watchers to join the party.

Stiler

Anyone have tips for the Rockbreaker? Just encountered my first one and it's kicking my ass so hard.

It constantly jumps out/dives in and I literally can be standing 10 foot away from where it emerges and it still somehow hits me. It seems impossible to dodge this, running, leaping, nothing seems to work 90% of the time it connects.

I got its feet off once where it couldn't burrow but holy shit it has like a giant super-fast lunge and I couldn't get away from this either.

I read guides that said it was slow moving and like...for me it's super fast , no where near slow moving.

Even when it's frozen it uses its lunge and I can not get bloody out of range of it, running/leaping does nothing to stop it from hitting me.

Trickster

Just reached the quest called
The Heart of the Nora

I'm curious if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how far along the main story I am?

Loudninja

5/5
Horizon Zero Dawn is as close to a flawless RPG as one could hope for; developer Guerilla Games went for the gold in every respect, and it shows. The game boasts immense production values in its gorgeous art direction, and is stuffed to the gills with great voiceover performances, atmospheric and tuneful music, and visceral sound effects work. Even more importantly, it provides a top-notch story that delights in plunging the unsuspecting player headfirst down a rabbit hole of epic proportions, far and away its strongest achievement. This is coupled with a battle system that has been built from the ground up for flexibility and ease of use. The areas that do have room for improvement — namely a looser focus once the game world opens up and a shortage of heavy-hitting musical themes — are easily eclipsed by its many superb plus points. In the end, it can best be summed up by three words: play it now!
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/horizon/horizon/reviews/horizonstrev1.html

Anyone have tips for the Rockbreaker? Just encountered my first one and it's kicking my ass so hard.

It constantly jumps out/dives in and I literally can be standing 10 foot away from where it emerges and it still somehow hits me. It seems impossible to dodge this, running, leaping, nothing seems to work 90% of the time it connects.

I got its feet off once where it couldn't burrow but holy shit it has like a giant super-fast lunge and I couldn't get away from this either.

I read guides that said it was slow moving and like...for me it's super fast , no where near slow moving.

Even when it's frozen it uses its lunge and I can not get bloody out of range of it, running/leaping does nothing to stop it from hitting me.

Break the arm parts so he can't go underground.

Styles

Only tip I have for you is freeze it then break its sack using precision arrows to deal massive damage. It's pretty dead after that.

Apparently when you check your map, it causes heating issues for some reason. i think Pro owners notice it more. i play on Regular and don't really notice.

I was wondering what the hell was going on, but in fact, my UPS starts to beep when I go into the map. I thought I was tripping.

I just got to Meridian at level 25. Am I over leveled?

There's no such thing as over/under-leveled in Horizon. You only get more health from leveling up, and you can already use highest-tier weapons and armors from quite early in the game. The game is all about learning the enemies.

You can only give them one if that's all you have. I had both parts so they took them both.

I had both parts with me so maybe they took both, but it is a one-time only interaction? The way they talked I thought it would be a place you could go permanently for extra credit compared to other sellers.

Take out the claws and hind legs so it will stop digging. Also lace the area with the shock traps . Another thing is stand still and don't move much

Brine

Man, exploding the freeze canisters on a Behemoth then using sticky bombs kills it in under 5 seconds, lol. Gotta try to see how much this does against a Thunderjaw/Rockbreaker after freezing with the Sling.

shiba5

I can't get over how gorgeous this game is.

tCTpoIp.jpg

A.J.

Banned
So I just spent about 20 minutes fighting a Stormbird for its trophy only for it's body to crash land deep into the woods. I chase after it only to find that it landed knee deep in stalker territory and I was out of healing supplies. Long story short I got killed before I could loot the bdy and now I have to fight the Stormbird again. This game is very relentless.

Did the Shadow War Bow plus 3 Corruption mods combo and it's hilarious. Watching Snapmaws fighting each other, stalkers, and so on, such amazing moments. I love to override Sawtooths and let the wreak havoc as well.

Thunderjaw was super intense the first couple of times, now I just tearblast his guns and devastate him. Kinda hoped it was more challenging(fuck Stormbirds though).

Lvl 38, did one main quest in Meridian. I'm like 35 hours in, just love to explore and hunt in different and innovative ways. The gameplay loop is so damn satisfying.

Did 3 cauldrons and they were great.

Falchion

Triple precision arrows usually kills em in one shot for me if I aim for the head

I need to work to unlock that skill next because that camp was such a pain. I didn't have the 'kill leader with stealth' perk so it just became a heavy spear and arrow to the head fest which was awful.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

If it's the quest one in the quarry then you can cheese it hard by going outside the fence. It can't damage you at all if it's on the other side but you can shoot it through the fence no problem.
There are a lot of other situations where you can abuse the environment, too.

I remember the Waypoint guys and a couple of other reviewers mentioning exposition dumps in this game. I'm actually in the middle of my first real one and I've definitely been thinking that this is not the way to go. The stuff that's there is interesting, but it should've been paced in a better fashion.

The lore should be a reward for exploration just as it is in other RPGs. Not "Hey, it's lore time! Let's walk slowly and listen to/read stuff in a building for 30 minutes."

The same thing can be said for the gear/weapons.(reward idea) You have access to purple gear very early in the game and once you buy them, there's pretty much no reason to use green/blue stuff ever again.

Exploration just wasn't as well thought out as it should've been. I've already seen every machine in the game(bar one), already have mostly purple gear and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end of the game so my exploration is mostly just going to be rewarded with more crafting items for the most part...
I... i love walking slowly and reading stuff for 30 minutes!

By the end of the game I wanted more.

deim0s

I decided to stop faffing about and cross Carja gate to do the first few side quests in there at 1000 clicks each.

Dropped down the basin and saw new machines, Tramplers. Felled two but before I could scan for the other one, Glinthawks swooped out from nowhere! Fought my way thru and ran to the other direction to some angry Broadheads and the last Trampler. Spent a lot of pots and herbs in that scuffle, so I fall back to the nearest campfire. No! A massive bird hovering above the camp and thus eventually did it's divebomb attack. :/ Quickly grabbed a mount and try to run past most of it as I'm still half-dead and nibbling on healing items.

Then it's like every 100m (in any direction) I go: LongLegs, Ravagers, more Glinthawks (dicks, why do they always come out of nowhere!), Snapmaws with red-eye watchers, Ravagers and Rock Breakers (true dicks).

30++ minutes of bobbing and weaving just trying to get away! This game!

Trouble

Banned
Just finished the game. Whew.

I was not expecting the story to be this well crafted. Very pleasantly surprised about how it all comes together.

I hope they do some story DLC, because the wait for Horizon 2 (I think it's safe to assume this isn't a one and done franchise) is going to grueling.

Zackat

Just finished the game. Whew.

I was not expecting the story to be this well crafted. Very pleasantly surprised about how it all comes together.

I hope they do some story DLC, because the wait for Horizon 2 (I think it's safe to assume this isn't a one and done franchise) is going to grueling.

ps5 launch title?

ps5 launch title

v7DgWJn.gif

Complistic

This game needs an expansion pack, badly. I'd go the whole $40 for one if they fill it with content. Just want them to keep expanding this world.

This game needs an expansion pack, badly. I'd go the whole $40 for one if they fill it with content. Just want them to keep expanding this world.

I think it's gonna be hard for them. If they were to create an expansion they just wouldn't be able to add a new map filled with the current machines, they'll need a new machine or two. And developing machines seems like the hardest and most time-consuming part of the game's development. But yeah, there are so many possibilities for expansion-sized DLCs with Horizon. They can start with the neighbor tribes.

shiba5

Guise, should I have come across a
cauldron
yet? I just cleared the
excavation site main story quest

If not that's fine, if so I assume there's no issue with heading back and completing it?

There's a side quest at Mother's Crown that will point you to the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom