• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

You're not wrong. It's not a biggie and overall the game is excellent but the random nature of animal carcass drops is beyond dumb.

You're literally looking at the animal skin while being told there is no animal skin.

I guess they were trying for some kind f balance but it's just poor design. The games immersive: cheating on stiff like this is just an obvious rough edge on an otherwise impeccable finish.

Pretty much this. The randomized loot for robots can be explained as the part you needed was damaged in battle, but randomized loot for animals is just plain dumb.

Grassy

How much do you need downloaded before you can start playing? I'm at about 50% now. I left my PS4 on overnight but it stopped downloading in rest mode for some reason.

You're not wrong. It's not a biggie and overall the game is excellent but the random nature of animal carcass drops is beyond dumb.

You're literally looking at the animal skin while being told there is no animal skin.

I guess they were trying for some kind f balance but it's just poor design. The games immersive: cheating on stiff like this is just an obvious rough edge on an otherwise impeccable finish.

My internal rationale is that you damaged the skin/bones too much while killing those animals. Thus the random chance that you get one that's useful.

Edit: fun tip. If you add 3 40%+ corruption mods to the warbow, you can corrupt monsters in 1 shot. No need for double or triple shots.

I actually just killed one with the strategy you uploaded yesterday.

I did surprisingly well until those MOTHER FUCKING CHARGERS came out of nowhere and made me lose 90 of my fast healing.

but yeah your method is great.

I want to fight 3 or 4 of them at the same time.

Pop a shock potion. Wear the Osram sparkworker heavy armor with + resist shock mods and basically take no damage from their AoE and shock attacks.

Corrupt them and as they fight each other, use the rope caster on one and override it, then sit back and let them finish each other off....

Mindlog

The Stormbird can be a fun fight, but I hate it when it disappears into a foggy night and starts dragging everything out. Trying to use your Focus to find it can be even more annoying because of how slow the camera is.

Imaging a real RPG squad with Janeva, Nil, Vanasha, Uthid at my side.
Or playable DLC where I can play as those characters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thanks to all the Gaffers who suggested taking out the energy disc on a Thunder Jaw and using it, things are piss easy now.

The Storm Bird was a bit more difficult because I kept missing with the Tear Arrows on the wings, but once I took out the big center laser ray thing, it was pretty easy there after.

God bless Tear arrows.

horizonzerodawn_20170mluhf.png

With tearblast arrows do you have to hit the weak area to make a part fall off? Or can you literally hit the beast anywhere and a part will fall off

Anyone else found some of the fighting music at bandit camps sounds like music you would hear on a Jason Bourne film?

Music everywhere in the game is amazing. Tense during fights and serene during exploration...

With tearblast arrows do you have to hit the weak area to make a part fall off? Or can you literally hit the beast anywhere and a part will fall off

Targeting the parts is more efficient but shooting anywhere will still rip armor off.

TTG

Oh well. Level 50 and still at the lvl 12 main quest.

I definitely played this game the wrong way, but I am loving this game so, so much.

I'm at level 24 and finally decided to drop everything else and just go to Meridian. It's a poor design choice for the second main quest to send the player across the whole map.

Skux

Oh well. Level 50 and still at the lvl 12 main quest.

I definitely played this game the wrong way, but I am loving this game so, so much.

The great thing is that you really can't be overlevelled in this kind of game. There are no intrinsic stats apart from health (which isn't nearly as important as your ability to dodge), and every encounter requires you to expose weak points and exploit weaknesses. You can't just faceroll through content because the way the combat is designed. More like an action adventure game rather than an RPG.

jamsy

Spent most of Saturday and Sunday with it and ended up finishing after 34 hours or so. Completed all the side quests aside from some Hunters Lodge stuff and I'll be Platinuming it within the next couple days before moving over to Breath of the Wild.

How did you finish in 34 hours with all the side quests?

I'm 35 hours in and i have got a bunch of side quests remaining, plus tallnecks and cauldrons to finish. And I just completed the
US Robotics place
story quest, which I'm sure isn't super close to the end.

AtkO

I'm still giggly about it.

We were gathered together (my sisters, cousins, nephews, uncles and aunts etc etc) so I decided to play Horizon Zero Dawn to show the little ones how good looking and awesome the game is.

My father sees us playing and decides to check a little bit, if only to entertain the kids but I didn't notice him at first. He had been watching me play for minutes and at some point - as I was playing in the forest at night - he legit asked "is this a real life forest and you're walking in it or did "they" make it?"

He says "they" for the developpers I guess, it's still an unknown world for my father, he's 58 and has a hard time understanding how it works. When I played games like Uncharted he would often ask "why did he - the character - fall?" And I had to explain him it was me who fucked up because I control whatever Nate does.

But to get back to my point, he was really amazed by the graphics. He used to cut trees for a living, and he was in awe at how lifelike it all looked like, the leafs, the colors, the trees. And it just made me smile cause I didn't even tell him anything about the game or about how it's one of the - if not the - best looking game ever created.

He stayed with us for like 30 more minutes and was also amazed by the rocks, and the textures, and the lighting and everything.

This game owns!

PrinceKee

lol, i guess the patch didn't fix the map heating issue

Apparently when you check your map, it causes heating issues for some reason. i think Pro owners notice it more. i play on Regular and don't really notice.

Is this why my damn Pro sounds like my old launch PS4 with no thermal paste? Like the fans have been on full blast at times and I didn't know why. But, my Pro fans have kicked on and been loud in certain games since day 1 to the point I might need to contact Sony before my warranty expires...

VanWinkle

It's not talked about TOO much, but man, the music is fantastic. Some of the melodic stuff that plays while you're roaming around is simply beautiful.

Lured a Sawtooth into my trap house and he hit a lick.

I hacked 3 watchers and a strider
Laid down 2 explosive trip wires
When the sawtooth got to his spot, I whistled, come here big boy. He ran like crazy explosion and me with the melee.

He got up I ran towards the watchers and Strider and they commenced to whipping his ass. And I was shooting fire to his belly as well. Such a great team win.

It's not talked about TOO much, but man, the music is fantastic. Some of the melodic stuff that plays while you're roaming around is simply beautiful.

And it usually cues up perfectly to what you're doing. Like running around in the world and you come across something and the music cues in

Those dirty baskets you can buy at Meridian... what are they for? Because honestly, I need to clear out my inventory anyway, so if buying them is worth it for something down the line -- and I have to assume they are -- then gonna buy buy buy!

Kremzeek

before this recent patch, i had the game hard crash on me when choosing "Abandon Job" from the menu.

i sent a bug report - this happen to anyone else?

slade

I may have missed out on the Nil sidequests. I met him early on but totally forgot about him when I liberated that first bandit camp. Now, the bandit camp mission is completed but the talk to Nil objective is marked out with an x. Did I screw this up?

Chance

I may have missed out on the Nil sidequests. I met him early on but totally forgot about him when I liberated that first bandit camp. Now, the bandit camp mission is completed but the talk to Nil objective is marked out with an x. Did I screw this up?

I've cleared 2 camps without him. Hope that didn't screw up the quest...

I remember the Waypoint guys and a couple of other reviewers mentioning exposition dumps in this game. I'm actually in the middle of my first real one and I've definitely been thinking that this is not the way to go. The stuff that's there is interesting, but it should've been paced in a better fashion.

The lore should be a reward for exploration just as it is in other RPGs. Not "Hey, it's lore time! Let's walk slowly and listen to/read stuff in a building for 30 minutes."

The same thing can be said for the gear/weapons.(reward idea) You have access to purple gear very early in the game and once you buy them, there's pretty much no reason to use green/blue stuff ever again.

Exploration just wasn't as well thought out as it should've been. I've already seen every machine in the game(bar one), already have mostly purple gear and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end of the game so my exploration is mostly just going to be rewarded with more crafting items for the most part...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol you guys made stormbird out to be the Nameless King or something fierce. It's an awesome enemy but i froze the shit out of it and then used my precision arrows to take it down in seconds.

I had three damage mods on my precision bow but replaced them with handling mods and fired like ten shots in one slow mo. The elemental hunter outfit helped when i realized he was only using shock attacks.

Great fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom