• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

Just went through and knocked out all the hunting ground missions. The ones with the Ravagers and Thunderjaw were a real pain in the ass, but I finally got it done.

Radec

I wish there was a way to access the ancient armor without progressing much in the story.. But might be too op though.

Sanctuary

Enjoy hunting for Fox Skins.

Those are nothing. Try rat skins. I've literally seen a single rat my entire playthrough.

Anyone else found some of the fighting music at bandit camps sounds like music you would hear on a Jason Bourne film?

Yes, or at times battle music from the Mass Effect games.

I wish there was a way to access the ancient armor without progressing much in the story.. But might be too op though.

Armor in general in this game is rather pointless. The only two that do much of anything are the stealth armor and frost resist. You shouldn't be getting hit by much of anything else most of the time. It's too easy to avoid everything else.

DefiantJauntyFlatcoatretriever.gif

I think a lot of people missed this, so why not

Just completed the some of the main quest at
Maker's End.
Wow, could have seen some of that coming, but still pretty surprised by some of the revelations. Glad they're keeping some stuff a mystery for now and I hope there's more to it than the obvious

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im slow cause im an old man now and have actual real life concerns so imn only about 7 hours in, but damn this game is incredible. Its like Uncharted production value and polish with open world game design. Very few games do something like this. Witcher, GTA....only things off the top of my head. And the story and characters are amazing. Each person you meet looks so different than the last.

DirtyLarry

So I am still pretty early on (an hour or so past The Proving) and something is driving me nuts. I picked up
some maps
from one of the Merchants. On it it is showing me a location that should have an
ancient vessel.
It was right by the area where I encountered my first
tall neck.
For the life of me I cannot find anything, and I am guessing it is because I need to get underground. But I have explored the immediate area and cannot find anything.

Anyone happen to know the area I am talking about? There is a camp fire by it, that is where I did my last save and I am calling it a night. So damn easy to get distracted in this game. I love it.

TIA for any help that can be offered.
DL

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One random thing among many that GG should be applauded for is the ease and quickness of saving. The fact its a single button at one of a multitude of campfires and takes about two to three seconds should be commended. I don't even bother using manual saves except every now and again just in case. Seriously though one thing I've always wished more developers would do for console gamers is give them a quick save and few ever bother. Even a swipe on the touch pad or something. I think Dishonored 2 is one of the few that gives the option and its still not the fastest with menu lag.

vypek

Just went through and knocked out all the hunting ground missions. The ones with the Ravagers and Thunderjaw were a real pain in the ass, but I finally got it done.

I'm hesitant to do anymore hunting ones than I have cause I feel it will get frustrating. Only care to do them cause of the rewards I am curious about. Otherwise I rather do hunting out in the open world

TTG

I've been really conservative with skill point spending, but another 5-6 points to get to tinkerer seems worthwhile. I don't ever have to worry about what mods go where and I can even emphasize one element over another on all weapons depending on the encounter.

What say you gaf?

I've been really conservative with skill point spending, but another 5-6 points to get to tinkerer seems worthwhile. I don't ever have to worry about what mods go where and I can even emphasize one element over another on all weapons depending on the encounter.

What say you gaf?

Definitely useful as purple mods are hard-ish to come by. Worth noting, I'm high level 20s and I'm not really hurting for skill points. Seeing as you get skill points for completing quests and levelling and people are getting all the way to level 50 I don't think they'll be limiting in the end

So I am still pretty early on (an hour or so past The Proving) and something is driving me nuts. I picked up
some maps
from one of the Merchants. On it it is showing me a location that should have an
ancient vessel.
tall neck.
For the life of me I cannot find anything, and I am guessing it is because I need to get underground. But I have explored the immediate area and cannot find anything.

Anyone happen to know the area I am talking about? There is a camp fire by it, that is where I did my last save and I am calling it a night. So damn easy to get distracted in this game. I love it.

DL
It's not underground and the best advice I can give is to use your focus scan and search for ancient debris. That one took a while for me as well

246.gif

There it is. That feeling of emptiness when you finish a masterpiece. What an amazing story.

edit: and holy shit these credits are the coolest fucking credits roll I have ever seen

Jamaro85

some maps
ancient vessel.
tall neck.

DL

If that's the one where the map icon is in a ruin and there is a river next to it, that was my first ancient vessel and drove me NUTS. I almost decided right there that I'd not bother with collectibles, but that was the hardest one all game for me. Perhaps this isn't the one you're referring to, but either way good luck on that one.

If you get tired enough of it you can check out a video with the locations of them:

https://youtu.be/g4gGvTppNg0

Shambala

Just finished this games story. Man I love this game. Gave me chills at the end felt so good man. Gg u have done it 🙌.. level 50 just over 30 hours played. Time to explore more

Well, lvl 49, 43 hrs in and my next two main quests are a lvl 12 and lvl 19. I got to meridian and talked to errand. That's about it.

I almost don't want to progress knowing that it'll be over at some point.

So much fun. So much.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I've been wondering.. does hitting machines in mid-combat count? Or the arrow is only useful when we kill something with it?
Hitting machines with them should increase the drop rate. Very difficult to kill them with it because even a boar requires like 4 arrows.

Did those earlier today. They were all a pain in the ass, but I couldn't even finish the one where you have to take the Thunderjaw's weapon. I need to just come back when I can override it or something. Trying to grab the launcher and hobble to the ravagers was not working lol

some maps
ancient vessel.
tall neck.

DL
Took me a while for that one also. It's right across the river.

A.J.

Banned
So it turns out that Snapmaws can't fight Rockcrushers. I thought the ice damage would help but they got owned.

Zakalwe

Banned
I just finished the game. Here's a brief review.

Gameplay / Combat
Really good. You can tell the devs have an action pedigree, and that they had some real focus here creating the machine vs aloy encounters. The human encounters are much less enjoyable, though, and there are too many in the main story. Vs humans just strips combat of everything that makes it interesting.

Vs Machines: 9/10
Vs Humans: 6/10

Visuals
Easily the best looking open-world game and a contender for best looking game of all time. A few visual hiccups here and there in the form of glitches/bugs, and some noticeable pop-in, but generally this game looks stunning.

Overall: 9/10

Aloy
Likeable, a bit of a jerk but in a good way, some very natural and funny exchanges. Good performance, well-written overall.

Aloy/10

Story
The plot is pretty standard sci-fi, but on the above average side imo. I'd imagine anyone who doesn't read a lot of stories in the genre would think it's quite original.

The writing is very average, though. Edgy naming conventions (Horizon: Zero Dawn, Shadow Caja) sound right out of a poor YA novel, and most of the side characters range from forgettable to not even there. I do like how the game holds women in high regard, and how it feels inclusive without pandering. The introduction to the matriarchal society at the start felt very refreshing, and Elizabet/Aloy are handled really well for the most part.

The story is told very poorly in places. Some of contradictory stuff or things not explained well. Aloy is allowed to keep the strange device by her devout protector despite the fact it goes against tribal law, everyone in the tribe just accepts she's using this forbidden technology, etc... at times it just feels like the strength of the writing is put on hold to quickly advance the story.

The actual story in the present day is really average stuff.

Plot: 7/10
Writing: 6/10
Story telling: 6/10

Open World

Looks amazing, feels like combat arenas glued together with little to do. I gave up exploring around the half-way mark when I realised how I felt about this, so I could have missed some good stuff. I'm going to play some more and explore remaining cauldrons and a few other specific spots before I make a final call.

Open world: 7/10

Misc systems

Getting a bit lazy here, but my feelings for all these things are the same: good foundation, needs a lot of refinement for the next game.

Crafting, weapon/armour selection, better loot, better rewards for exploring, etc... I do like how well refined each weapon is, and the armour has an okay variety in terms of aesthetics, but it is all very limited.

Overall, I'd say this stuff is just above average for a well polished AAA game, but nothing remarkable and certainly nothing to praise: 6/10

-

Overall, I'd score the game 8/10. It's a visually stunning, highly polished action game with a slightly under-cooked open-world and RPG systems. Average story with some messy story telling, but with a strong new protagonist.

I think opinion of this might shift lower slightly over time once the glamours warn off a little, but I also think GG have the start of something potentially very special here. Horizon 2 could be a real landmark game.

I'll spend a little more time with the open-world, then I think I'll trade this in and keep an eye on future content to potentially re-buy later. I'm fairly certain I'll hold off until part two, though.

What say you gaf?

Tinkerer pretty valuable and useful throughout, especially when it comes to not wasting purple mods early on. Without it, I would have lost a very valuable high damage purple mod on my first bow.

That fight in the quarry...

Phew, I must've died a good 7-8 times getting the dodge timing down. But once I did, managed to take it down really quickly (so many weak points).

Great fight.

vypek

One of the most exciting things of my session was getting the last fish skin, raccoon skin and goose skin in one area within 5 minutes.

Best moment was an enemy running into a blast mine and the body sliding into more and setting them off until death

DragonElm

Neo Member
Well, lvl 49, 43 hrs in and my next two main quests are a lvl 12 and lvl 19. I got to meridian and talked to errand. That's about it.

I almost don't want to progress knowing that it'll be over at some point.

So much fun. So much.

I'm at the exact same point....Lvl 41, Meridian, not making any progress, just running around killing stuff, gathering, exploring. I love this game so much. Don't want it to end.

Alo0oy

Banned
I finally 100% the game, I avoided this thread for the most part to avoid spoilers.

I love this game, I wish the game had Bethesda's quest generator system, it was bad in Bethesda's games because the combat is boring there, but the combat is the best part about this game, and I just want more quests to do.

I wanna continue playing, but I also wanna play Nier Automata. The game needs a massive expansion IMO.

tmac456

Was just facing off against the Rockbreaker for the first time. Had his health about halfway while he wasn't really hitting me with much. Suddenly I get a message saying "New bot or whatever discovered: Behemoth" I thought that was odd. Then it clicked... I turn around and there is a Behemoth approaching from behind. I nope'd outta there real quick.

Ugh.I am feeling some fatigue here and I haven't made it to Meridian yet. Exploring is a no no in this game. There is nothing useful out there and it seems like the open world is just filled with different groups of Dino encounters. So that really only leaves the missions and the war chief mission is... Not good. Do things get more interesting or what?

I mean the Dino encounters are fun and can be very challenging but there is zero sense of exploration or discovery in this game.

void666

Banned
My first encounter with a thunderjaw was nothing special. But my first stormbird... holy crap. It looks a lot bigger when it's on the ground. lol

Zackat

Ugh.I am feeling some fatigue here and I haven't made it to Meridian yet. Exploring is a no no in this game. There is nothing useful out there and it seems like the open world is just filled with different groups of Dino encounters. So that really only leaves the missions and the war chief mission is... Not good. Do things get more interesting or what?

I mean the Dino encounters are fun and can be very challenging but there is zero sense of exploration or discovery in this game.
You're the first person who I've seen with this opinion. Are you just looking for things to collect? If so there are plenty of those. I think this is one of the prettiest games I have ever played and I just love running around in the world.

Guess I'm just not sure what you mean.

Polarburr

You're the first person who I've seen with this opinion. Are you just looking for things to collect? If so there are plenty of those. I think this is one of the prettiest games I have ever played and I just love running around in the world.

I think he's looking for loot to discover? If so, there's none of that. The discovery aspect of this game is on farming for materials needed for crafting, etc. Which I find really fun because that means I get to fight some robosaurs. Haha

But if he meant new locations to discover then I agree, would be cool to discover random shanty town or a lodge or whatnot. But the game is so amazing that I can go without it. I do hope they add that in the sequel.

Zakalwe

Banned

The world is pretty, but it is very barren. There's not a lot of actual RPG stuff to do. It's not a great RPG open world, but it's a great action game open world.

As the game is set up more for the former, a an actual RPG, it feels a little under-cooked to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom