• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

Man, such a little thing and BOTW is not remotely the first game to do something like it, but I really wish Horizon had a paraglider so that you can glide down from high distances. MAN. That's the only thing from BOTW that I've actively thought about while playing Horizon. It is missed in Horizon.

Or riding Stormbirds or something.

Took at least 5 tries to take down a storm birdie, what a beast. On very difficult most of its attacks are one hit kills. I have no idea how you're suppose to sprint over to land a crit either, the damn thing recovers so quickly.

How do you approach a target that has no weak points left? Do you still hit it with elemental damage hoping to set the critter on fire or whatever, or do you go straight damage?
A lot of the bots take more damage when they're iced iirc.

Razgreez

They have everything they need in place pretty much, it just needs refining or more of it.

Examples: a deeper crafting system to make gathering really meaningful, a deeper skill system to allow for varied builds, add some more instances of NPC interaction into the open world/add more open world events/places to discover, perhaps a loot system or more set weapons, etc...

I'd rather they avoid all of the above. It just takes up extra/unnecessary effort/time when the most fun parts are actually doing missions/fighting beasts or simply wandering and not spent in the menus. There are better things to focus time on like better physical interaction between Aloy and the world around her or perhaps an improved traversal system. Better human and animal (non-robotic) AI. The skill system doesn't even need to be deeper, just a bit more varied i.e. tilt focus more along the lines of damage (elemental or otherwise) mitigation, damage output, mobility, range etc. You can already mix those things up and the variation is there it can just be tuned to be a bit more varied.

The current loot-job-creation is the best loot related idea in any rpg so far. The rng already provides tedium so at least the job creation assuages this somewhat

Razgreez

Took at least 5 tries to take down a storm birdie, what a beast. On very difficult most of its attacks are one hit kills. I have no idea how you're suppose to sprint over to land a crit either, the damn thing recovers so quickly.

How do you approach a target that has no weak points left? Do you still hit it with elemental damage hoping to set the critter on fire or whatever, or do you go straight damage?

Triple-shot precision arrows are your friend. Load up the bow with damage mods and let it rip. Should do between 350 and 500 damage depending where you hit. The areas around the neck are the weakest when the armour is removed but... you have to get to the side of it to exploit those.

That shock weapon on its chest though, funk that thing. First thing I rip off

I really like her how hair looks and animates
Bet it'd look even better if she lets it loose
Merida style

Perhaps i'm strange but I appreciated that her loose (messy) hairs are easily visible when the camera shifts behind her head especially during conversations. It reminds me of my wife and daughter in that unless they've made themselves prim and proper there're usually loose strands all over the place even if their hair looks neat for the most part - a nice realistic touch

Polarburr

I'd rather they avoid all of the above. It just takes up extra/unnecessary effort/time when the most fun parts are actually doing missions/fighting beasts or simply wandering and not spent in the menus. There are better things to focus time on like better physical interaction between Aloy and the world around her or perhaps an improved traversal system. Better human and animal (non-robotic) AI. The skill system doesn't even need to be deeper, just a bit more varied i.e. tilt focus more along the lines of damage (elemental or otherwise) mitigation, damage output, mobility, range etc. You can already mix those things up and the variation is there it can just be tuned to be a bit more varied.

The current loot-job-creation is the best loot related idea in any rpg so far. The rng already provides tedium so at least the job creation assuages this somewhat

I agree. Adding those elements would, for me, make the game something it isn't. The game did a really good job of having its own unique take on an open world RPG. Stuff like loot, deeper skill tree, etc, I can enjoy in other games.

I hope GG improves on the things that make Horizon unique. More variety of enemies which require different weapons to effectively take down is one I want.

I don't need DMG +10000 INT+2000 equipping this chest armor grants Aloy CRIT 4.2% on my loot. I love how the weapons strength lies on how the player uses them.

Shambala

Trap it with the
ropecaster
then the tear arrows and unleash all you got. Rinse n repeat dont let it get up to fly again. It's best to have
shadow weapon variants
with damage boosters tho

Well said. No need to make a full sclae RPG out of this. I'm pretty far by now and the only things I would love GG to tweak for the sequels is a) the combat against humas (it's just super dull if you're not sneaking) and b) make the climbing sections less on rails.

But that's about it.

Freeman76

The levels don't do much. You should be able to take out enemies without leveling up. Play smart. Lay down traps. Use tear arrows to take out the guns and other important components. Use fire arrows when needed.

If you are not having fun fighting the machines and are just in it for the story then this is not the game for you. Sorry.

I dont enjoy the combat much at all yet I think the game is damn good.

Some people enjoy the story and exploration, your sweeping statement is nonsense.

To me the combat feels floaty, weightless with no feedback. Fighting giant robots with explosives should feel more impactful as far as im concerned.

bosseye

This is so atmospheric. I'm still roaming around Devil's Thirst (love the ruins), still finding my way a bit with the combat; night time, came across a sawtooth in the ruins, hid in the grass and scanned it to get its path, then decided on my approach and escape strategy, laid a few wire bomb traps the way I intended to go when running away....waited til it got close, hit the belly canister with a fire arrow, boom! I stand up and hit it with another arrow to get its attention and leg it past my carefully laid wire traps, the sawtooth comes at me and misses the wire traps! Oh shit son.

Now I'm off balance, forced to improvise and it's poised to leap at me again so I dodge then run like the wind and it's right behind me and I dive, Indiana Jones style, through a small gap in a wall into a ruin inches ahead of the beast. The sawtooth slams into the gap in an explosion of noise and aggression but it can't get in....but it knows where I am and it's hunting me. It heads around the side of the building at pace, so I break line of sight, run for a hidden corner and hunker down. The saw tooth slows, for a second seems confused to have lost me, then creeps slowly past the area I'm hiding in what was an absolutely iconic moment; the lighting, the sounds, the animation, the sensations, the environment all coming together to create something monumental....then I'm up and looping back towards my wire traps. I'm behind the sawtooth now, so I whistle and it spins, instantly picking me up again. I stand tall and unmoving, confident as it charges right at me....and this time hits the wire traps in a mighty explosion, and it's corpse crashes down at my fight. God it was cool, the entire encounter was utterly badass.

This game!

Gradly

All machines are susceptible to elemental damage but it varies so try to pay attention to the little circle above their heads that fills up depending on the type of attack, when it's completely filled then that was a success, if its freeze then it will take damage twice or more, if it's fire then it will damage the machine overtime, if shock it will make them stunned

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, meridian is quite a step up after the opening area. Just past the first gate and I get attacked by a storm bird(?) which is a bugger to kill. I managed to drop it once but can't remember how. I can shoot the gun off, but it's always facing me so hitting the blaze canisters is difficult. Basically war of attrition.

Then right after that there was a field of bull things, and the fight was going kind of ok, when
i get set upon by a bunch of grimhawks from out of nowhere.
. Got smashed. Tried again and beat all but one with a tiny sliver of my health left and no potions or medicine or ingredients to make potions. So I limped off to find a bonfire.

I assumed shadow weapons are the best, but the shadow hunter bow doesn't give me freeze arrows. Is it worth having those or should I just stick with the shadow one? It was bloody expensive and I'm dangerously low on shards now (didn't realise it also uses them when crafting arrows!)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The coolest outfit in the game was a retail pre-order bonus. That is really annoying.

That's not really true. I'm demolishing enemies now I've upgraded and modded my weapons. True, they can always catch you off guard from time to time, so it's not completely trivial, but it's definitely not just my skill that's improved. I remember when I used to avoid Sawtooths (Sawteeth?), now they're arrow fodder. Mwahahaha.

I like the way it does it - new weapon options seem to open up right when you start realising you need them, it's not just raw power, you need the knowledge and skill to make use of your expanding arsenal. The progression feels very natural, Aloy improves as you do.

Yeah, I guess this is it. It's so natural I don't really realized it, but if I give it a thought I can see it now. And this is what make Horizon special.

I kinda want to get it, but I keep hunting every little animal and gathering every bit of medicine I find, so it's making me hesitate about that skill.

I almost never use a mount due to the same reason. Its only usefulness for me is in combat, and I kinda regret it now.

I am 12 hours in and just now reached the section where you have to climb the mountain in order to reach the new region where Meridian is. At this rate it is going to take me 40-50 hours more to complete it and I don't even care. The world is so amazingly crafted that it is the first time in years I refuse to use fast travel or climb mounts. I really need to have a bow which fires ice arrows. My catapult that has these elemental powers is way too dangerous because I have to get close in order to hit them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wish they had an option for a simple crosshair or an opacity setting at least. Current one blocks my vision, especially at night, it's honestly quite an awful crosshair.

I tried turning it off altogether, which is my default for FPS games with bows, but as a TPS it just doesn't work. Way too much guesswork.

Sucks, can't believe they didn't have an option for minimal crosshair... Just an off-grey dot would be fine.

jdstorm

Banned
Id love the climbing mechanics. I hate getting caught on invisible walls and having to jump Aloy up some cliffs like she is the Mako from Mass Effect 1.

Edit. Also does anyone know how to swap shoulders with the camera? I cant seem to work it out.

After 51:45 of playtime, I've earned myself the platinum and have progressed about as far as I'm willing to go. The only thing I believe that I'm missing are some of the datapoints, and if I'm being honest, I don't have much of a desire to go looking for them.

This game, though... This is genuinely one of the best games that I have ever played. From the originality of the story and the detailed presentation, to the exciting battles with a real sense of accomplishment after every victory. I really enjoyed exploring this world and uncovering some of the mysteries that it held. This is truly a game that completely, COMPLETELY captures the imagination and fully immerses you creativity and adventure. Can't say enough good things about this game. Excited to see what the future holds for this franchise.

As a side note, I hope they'll make figurines of each machine. I really want a Stalker on my desk!

This is so atmospheric. I'm still roaming around Devil's Thirst (love the ruins), still finding my way a bit with the combat; night time, came across a sawtooth in the ruins, hid in the grass and scanned it to get its path, then decided on my approach and escape strategy, laid a few wire bomb traps the way I intended to go when running away....waited til it got close, hit the belly canister with a fire arrow, boom! I stand up and hit it with another arrow to get its attention and leg it past my carefully laid wire traps, the sawtooth comes at me and misses the wire traps! Oh shit son.

Now I'm off balance, forced to improvise and it's poised to leap at me again so I dodge then run like the wind and it's right behind me and I dive, Indiana Jones style, through a small gap in a wall into a ruin inches ahead of the beast. The sawtooth slams into the gap in an explosion of noise and aggression but it can't get in....but it knows where I am and it's hunting me. It heads around the side of the building at pace, so I break line of sight, run for a hidden corner and hunker down. The saw tooth slows, for a second seems confused to have lost me, then creeps slowly past the area I'm hiding in what was an absolutely iconic moment; the lighting, the sounds, the animation, the sensations, the environment all coming together to create something monumental....then I'm up and looping back towards my wire traps. I'm behind the sawtooth now, so I whistle and it spins, instantly picking me up again. I stand tall and unmoving, confident as it charges right at me....and this time hits the wire traps in a mighty explosion, and it's corpse crashes down at my fight. God it was cool, the entire encounter was utterly badass.

This game!
Enjoyed reading. Trap failure leads to bricks shat.

Question for those who have platinumed. Do/can you still enjoy roaming around, at a high level with nothing tangible left to gain? Just curious how that plays out in people's experience.

The atmospheric music is absolutely phenomenal but I hate how it is interrupted by the combat music if you get too close to a machine spawn.

I understand the music change is a subtle way to let the player know they are close to hostiles, but it is a mood killer when you're just trying to travel through an environment and don't intend on fighting.

Lunar FC

Finding a fox skin was the hardest thing I've had to do in his game so far.

I went with the Carja Silks Heavy armor, it was the only one that I liked how it looked and it comes with 3 mod slots.

idonteven

Enjoyed reading. Trap failure leads to bricks shat.

Question for those who have platinumed. Do/can you still enjoy roaming around, at a high level with nothing tangible left to gain? Just curious how that plays out in people's experience.

i got the platinum and i still run around the world finding cool new places

The atmospheric music is absolutely phenomenal but I hate how it is interrupted by the combat music if you get too close to a machine spawn.

I understand the music change is a subtle way to let the player know they are close to hostiles, but it is a mood killer when you're just trying to travel through an environment and don't intend on fighting.

This is true.

Also the menu music, while nice sounding, is starting to become tiresome. the abruptness of it when you first open the menu doesn't really fit very well for how often we are encouraged to check the map, craft an item or look up a machine. I'd appreciate a more subtle sounding menu but that's just my nitpick.

Is there guide on how to easily fight each robot? I saw a guide on the T Rex on here
use the tear arrow on the machine gun on it's body and pick it up and shoot it down with it
, but need help with others. There was some
bird robot that shoot some kind ice projectiles at me
and the
alligator robot was much more difficult to fight. I just had to keep on using fire arrows like 15-20 times. There's just be an easy way for those

Polarburr

This is true.

Also the menu music, while nice sounding, is starting to become tiresome. the abruptness of it when you first open the menu doesn't really fit very well for how often we are encouraged to check the map, craft an item or look up a machine. I'd appreciate a more subtle sounding menu but that's just my nitpick.

I totally get you. There are a few times I'd have to open the menu at least 5 times in a span of 3-5mins and the sound gets so annoying

black070

I dropped into a cauldron entrance and as Aloy groaned upon landing, it echoed through the underground entrance.. needless to say, my jaw hit the floor.

I wish they had an option for a simple crosshair or an opacity setting at least. Current one blocks my vision, especially at night, it's honestly quite an awful crosshair.

I tried turning it off altogether, which is my default for FPS games with bows, but as a TPS it just doesn't work. Way too much guesswork.

Sucks, can't believe they didn't have an option for minimal crosshair... Just an off-grey dot would be fine.

Send out a quick tweet to GG. They might be open enough to implement it. I know they took a GAF request to remove Aloy's head gear into consideration yesterday.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Am I correct in thinking hitting the legs of machines can unbalance them? I'm pretty sure I've done this a few times accidentally, but if that's a legit strategy I'm gonna do it a lot more.

mileS

I'm using the headphone companion app with my PS4 Gold headset but I can't settle on what preset to use. I've been switching between Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and TLG. Anyone else that use the Gold headset care to comment on what they use?

Lunar FC

I keep getting worked on this
Robbing the Rich
quest where you have to infiltrate the
shadow carja
base, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom