• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raybunny

Where do you get the purple spear and at what point can you get the ancient armor?

You can discover the ancient armor resting place as soon as you leave the sacred land. Requires some items and they are found during the main story. Getting both will require you to be on the second to last story quest.

2 quick questions. I was just
made a seeker
, and it kinda feels like the game is just starting for real now, even tho I feel like Ive already put like 3 or 4 hours into it. would that be acurate?

Also, speaking of time, where are you guys seeing your time played?

Took me over 15 hours to reach that point. :)
On the manual save option. The last information on it is the ammount of hours you played.

made a seeker
, and it kinda feels like the game is just starting for real now, even tho I feel like Ive already put like 3 or 4 hours into it. would that be acurate?

load your save file instead of hitting continue on the title screen

made a seeker

Yup I would consider those events as the end of the extended prologue as such.

Do manual save at camp and it'll show you your game clock!

Redders

Discovered the delight of turning off the compass last night when I got to Meridian. Looks great just walking around the city without any HUD.

Time wise I got to Meridian at 21 hours, I hardly ever use fast travel as its so enjoyable to just walk between the areas and you'll miss out on being distracted by the combat on your way.

thenexus6

Just got the game, about 1 hour in.. so far..

Game looks great, not as much in cut scenes because the faces / voices are a little off. I think Uncharted 4 looked better though graphically.

Controls feel a little "floaty" especially at the start of the game.

I don't like the dialogue so far. Its so video gamey, just characters explaining everything so blatantly or their thoughts out loud. Would prefer without all that.

PS4 (non Pro) is loud similar to Uncharted 4 I guess.

Salvadora

I wish there was a weather control, sometimes I want to keep it on daytime or nightime. Thats my only complaint, everything else is perfect and every time I pick it up I sink hours into it
Agreed.

I generally hate nighttime in open worlds as visibility turns to shit and it's less beautiful.

Fought my first Stormbird... after 5 minutes I just noped out of that fight. Is there a quick way to take those things down? Their attacks just seem to be able to go through anything as well.

Ferr986

I do think there is too many bows. IMO it should be 2 bows, the big one with the physical/tearblast arrows and the elemental bow with fire, freeze and shock (corruption out because it doesn't even make sense to corrupt enemies with a bow).

Fought my first Stormbird... after 5 minutes I just noped out of that fight. Is there a quick way to take those things down? Their attacks just seem to be able to go through anything as well.

I only fought one so far, after that tower place. I basically burned him with fire arrows so he would fall down, then ropecasting him so he couldn't fly away and went to town with him. Rinse and repeat a couple of times.

I do think there is too many bows. IMO it should be 2 bows, the big one with the physical/tearblast arrows and the elemental bow with fire, freeze and shock (corruption out because it doesn't even make sense to corrupt enemies with a bow).

I only fought one so far, after that tower place. I basically burned him with fire arrows so he would fall down, then ropecasting him so he couldn't fly away and went to town with him. Rinse and repeat a couple of times.

Dont take away corruption from me pls

I tended to set it on fire then try and tearblast arrow bits off of it before sharpshooting weaker bits for damage. I tried the rope caster on it but found a lot of effort for little real gain.

Go in with plenty of tearblast arrows. Just barrage it with them and it'll disable all sorts of shit. Try hit it's canisters with flame arrows too. If you do that stuff up front it'll be muuuch easier to pin with ropes and down. Then it's just the usual aim for weak spots and take it down. It barely moved around after I shorted out its blue capsuley spots.

Raybunny

You have alot of tactis to defeat him.
Teararrow on his chest ( and his jets on the wings to stop him do the dropdown), ice the hell out of it when he is on the floor and precise arrow his cest. If you have ice arrows destroy the cannisters behind his head. Ropecast him on the floor to constrain him to do the tail swipe.

All depends on what you have.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The correct elemental resist armour + mods + potion makes most fights much easier. You can swap any time mid battle, too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup I would consider those events as the end of the extended prologue as such.

Do manual save at camp and it'll show you your game clock!

gotcha, jsut checked, 5 hours, sounds about right, thats what it felt like.

Took me over 15 hours to reach that point. :)

I mean, to each its own, but...how? There wasnt that much to do in the opening act, I found 2 side quests (
lady that wanted me to find her kinda-crazy brother, and then a wounded dad that wanted me to save his girl and retrieve his spear)
and that errand for the priestess to get her beads, were there any others I missed until now?

WarrenD

I'm surprised how much effort they've put into dialogue so far. I was talking to
Sylens about a cauldron and over riding machines and Aloy mentioned I've seen one with a thunder jaw in it.
I'm assuming that if you haven't the dialogue slightly varies?

Also, where the hell is
Petra
?

Wollan

So aside from potential DLC, I'd imagine GG would be looking to PS5 for their next game now?
Cross-generation title for sure. Would be fantastic to have it for launch.
Strongly hope they use the opportunity to aim for 60fps with PS5 edition (as APU will have Zen-generation cores).

No way , corrupt is to much fun .
Corrupting robos from a far then going in for the easy kill is the best lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is a shadow warbow worth it over a standard one? I'm pretty skint after getting a shadow hunter bow and a shadow sharpshooter, but corruption and freeze arrows sound cool.

I almost regret getting those two bows because the shadow hunter bow has pretty damn good tear arrows (hardpoint?) they seem by the stats to do nearly as much as the tearblast.

Jacob4815

Erm...no.
I could one hit kill all early level enemies with my spear and take a lot more damage and basically they weren't a threat to me at all halfway through the game. Enemies that I met halfway through the game became a non threat by the time I got to endgame.

How is this possible if the spear is always the same with the same parameters and the level up increases only the HP, not the strenght or the damage?

How is this possible if the spear is always the same with the same parameters and the level up increases only the HP, not the strenght or the damage?

There are skills to make your spear better .
When you unlock knock down all small\mid size robos become such a joke .
With the spear and critical hits .

cudiye

The heavy attack to knock down large enemies skill is so helpful that I start to wonder if I would've been able to make it this far into the game without it.

gotcha, jsut checked, 5 hours, sounds about right, thats what it felt like.

I mean, to each its own, but...how? There wasnt that much to do in the opening act, I found 2 side quests (
lady that wanted me to find her kinda-crazy brother, and then a wounded dad that wanted me to save his girl and retrieve his spear)
and that errand for the priestess to get her beads, were there any others I missed until now?
I took more than 5 hours because I got busy upgrading my pouches =P

hydruxo

Is a shadow warbow worth it over a standard one? I'm pretty skint after getting a shadow hunter bow and a shadow sharpshooter, but corruption and freeze arrows sound cool.

I almost regret getting those two bows because the shadow hunter bow has pretty damn good tear arrows (hardpoint?) they seem by the stats to do nearly as much as the tearblast.

I haven't found the warbow to be all that useful outside of the corruption arrows, so it's really up to you. Freeze bombs and freeze rattler ammo do a better job of freezing enemies IMO.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm already over 20 hours into the game, hit Level 24 or so tonight, and still haven't made it to
Meridian
yet. It's just so easy to get sidetracked doing so many other things, and just exploring the world.

I've been hunting down collectibles, upgrading my capacity amounts, and taking it all in. I'm just absorbing it all end. It's been a while since I've played a game where I was so captivated by the setting. Maybe Bloodborne. I also played some Witcher 3, and outside of the stark contrast of how white the Witcher is compared to Horizon, I love that game too. It's fun going back and forth between the two. Did the Witcher get a Pro patch? I don't think it did, but I wish it would. Then again, CD Projekt is super awesome at constantly updating and improving the game, so I can understand a Pro patch not being high priority. The controls and combat in Witcher is also jarring, because I've always thought it was janky as fuck, but the rest of the game made up for it.

I kind of want an Aloy/Geralt crossover comic now. I may have to write one myself. Love both characters.

Ive only bee upgrading my resource one so far

It's honestly worth it to upgrade everything else. Ammo capacity, resources, potions, etc, it's really, really nice to be able to have more tools to play around with.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So aside from potential DLC, I'd imagine GG would be looking to PS5 for their next game now?

Now that all the hard work in creating the series is done, I can see them getting the next one out in two years, so mid 2019. I still think it will be a PS4 game, but it will certainly come to PS5 whenever it launches.

vivekTO

Patch 1.03 Notes

• Fixed a crash that could occur during ”The Heart of the Nora", after getting killed by the corrupted Thunderjaw at All-Mother's entrance.
• Fixed an issue where the game would crash on ”The Curse to Darkness" when left idle for a few minutes, after selecting continue from the Main Menu.
• Fixed a crash that would occur during ”Revenge of the Nora" when the player would be killed by the Bellowback.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when the player was killed by the Behemoth during ”The Terror of the Sun" quest.
• Fixed an issue where the loading screen would hang after viewing the cutscene after the credits.
• Fixed a progression issue during ”Deep Secrets of the Earth" where Aloy could not re-enter the secret entrance after fast traveling out.
• Fixed an issue where Aloy was able to mount machines with heavy weapons equipped.
• Fixed an issue where bandits would spawn inside the mountain during Bandit Camp ”Two Teeth".
• Fixed an issue where you could already scan the datapoint ”Record of Redmaw 2" spoiling the quest.
• Fixed an issue where tracks wouldn't be highlighted unless het player was at a certain distance.
• Fixed a crash with Hunting Grounds 1 when in combat with the Grazers.
• Fixed an issue where the quest icon would display the incorrect quest when finishing ”Gift from the Past" and transitioning to ”The Point of the Spear".
• Fixed an issue where Vanasha wasn't appearing to activate the ”Traitor's Bounty" quest.
• Fixed an issue during ”The City of the Sun" where Erend wouldn't spawn correctly.
• Fixed an issue where the Override icon wouldn't always show on overridden machines.
• Fixed an issue where players would accidentally skip the cinematic during ”A Gift from the Past".
• Fixed an issue during ”The War Chiefs Trail" where the player could not interact with Sona after fast traveling

sorry if already posted.

Kill3r7

Now that all the hard work in creating the series is done, I can see them getting the next one out in two years, so mid 2019. I still think it will be a PS4 game, but it will certainly come to PS5 whenever it launches.

They might make DLC but I would be surprised if we saw HZD2 before 2020.

Yep most likely a late PS4 game with a port going to PS5 like what happen with TLOU.

iMax

Late game game advice needed! Spoilers ahead.

So I've just entered the coliseum and am facing off against a Behemoth. Now I've heard that there is a "point of no return" at the end of the game. I really want to get the story out of the way and complete everything else after. Am I able to do that by just creating a manual save before that point?

Playsage

Man, the
Hunter's Lodge
weapons when buffed are borderline broken lol

Just took down a
Stormbird
in under a minute

I'm around level 30 I think, got 6 skills to spend. I was thinking about getting the far roll and the quiet sprint. Are they worth it? I don't have much in the combat tree because I tend to prefer utility stuff, but the +2 and +3 arrows in one shot are tempting me. My spear isn't upgraded beyond the basic level 1 abilities. Suggestions?

Triple shot is a beast!

- I don't know if quiet run is worth it or not, haven't tested it out but slightly bigger roll is useful if you like getting up close and personal with some of the big guys. It's a slightly longer slower roll, comes in handy for me

Just found a suit of what looks to be
power armour
hidden in some ruins. You need to collect
two power cells
in order to access it. The first of which can be found by
returning to the ruins you fell in as a child.
I'm tempted to scour the game for the other.

This game gets a solid 9 from me - the most solid 9 I'd ever give something.

I'm only 1/4th of the way in but I can't put it down. The world is gorgeous, the music is incredibly well orchestrated and positioned throughout the game, the combat is deceptively profound and the story of course is thrilling. I don't think I've played a game where fighting enemies is as fun as they are here. My mind's been blown several times already by the sheer scope and creativity on display, and I still have 75% of the game left to go through.

My only complaints so far relatively minor. Performance wise, the animations during cutscenes and scripted events seem to stutter quite a bit - enough to be noticeable. But what really bugs me is the lack of control mapping or sensitivity adjusting. During the more difficult battles, it takes a lot of button presses to do seemingly simple tasks like crafting and reloading, and then you factor in using traps and potions, you end up with a lot of accidental button presses. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'd remap some things if I could. I also wish we could detatch the camera from Aloy in photo mode.

I'm sure there are more stuff that might bother me later on, but overall I'm really enjoying this game. I'd have no reservations saying it is my favorite title because of how enthralling the gameplay is throughout. And when the world is this vast, the music is this beautiful, and the game is this polished, I imagine I'll be playing this for a very long time.

Just found a suit of what looks to be
power armour
hidden in some ruins. You need to collect
two power cells
in order to access it. The first of which can be found by
returning to the ruins you fell in as a child.
I'm tempted to scour the game for the other.

Not so fast mister.
You need 5

I'm around level 30 I think, got 6 skills to spend. I was thinking about getting the far roll and the quiet sprint. Are they worth it? I don't have much in the combat tree because I tend to prefer utility stuff, but the +2 and +3 arrows in one shot are tempting me. My spear isn't upgraded beyond the basic level 1 abilities. Suggestions?

+2 arrows are nice for getting status effects on enemies with the War Bow (Ice, Shock, Corruption). Also for just being able to hit human enemies in the body with the sniper bow instead of aiming for head shots every time.

The spear upgrade that lets you knock over enemies more often with a heavy attack is very nice as well. Let's you go into for a critical hit when they're down.

Being able to run more silently is great if you traverse the world by foot more often than not.

I'd say there's really only 3 or 4 skill upgrades I don't find very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom