• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
By the way this is a 10/10 game for me.

I have minor quibbles but they're minor. I don't even want to admit how many hours I've played this game, because it causes me shame as an adult human being, but it's a significant amount.

Full, final thoughts to come at a later date... I want to chew on it a bit.

Freeman76

This is true.

Also the menu music, while nice sounding, is starting to become tiresome. the abruptness of it when you first open the menu doesn't really fit very well for how often we are encouraged to check the map, craft an item or look up a machine. I'd appreciate a more subtle sounding menu but that's just my nitpick.

Haha yes! It ruins my immersion a bit because it sounds almost the same as the STEEP menu music as well lol

Evolved1

I must of been looking in the wrong areas because eventually I found a spot where they were all over the place. Still took me like 12 fox kills in that area to get one.

Quoting for new page.
The human AI is honestly pretty dumb. They will see dead bodies without triggering an all-out alert phase. Just snipe them with precision arrows of your sharpshooter bow. Headshots are OHK.

JJShadow

Is there guide on how to easily fight each robot? I saw a guide on the T Rex on here
use the tear arrow on the machine gun on it's body and pick it up and shoot it down with it
, but need help with others. There was some
bird robot that shoot some kind ice projectiles at me
and the
alligator robot was much more difficult to fight. I just had to keep on using fire arrows like 15-20 times. There's just be an easy way for those

For both the Glinthawk (bird robot) and Snapmaw (alligator), fire is your friend. Put a couple of fire arrows onto the Glinthawk to make it land and punish him with a critical hit. For the Snapmaw, try to explode the two fire canisters situated right behind his head to deal a nice amount of damage

Ropecaster is also really useful against both of them

Evolved1

What setup did you go for btw ? I mean mods ? Guessing the heavy bow or the fast bow ?
Idk about him but my fire arrows on the shadow "fast bow" are so damn OP... especially when you notch three at a time. Glinthawks just fucking explode lol.

Not sure if Im getting better at the game, if the weapons Ive got are really powerful,or if its these new modifications, but if Im starting to feel that the game is getting a bit easy. Gonna change the difficulty to hard tomorrow and see how I feel.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Unlocked the triple shot bow skill last night and that is so satisfying. Loading three Tearblast Arrows into my bow and pinning them all to the same beast is great - parts just fly everywhere.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I can't find a damn fish in this game. Lol

There's a pretty good lake for this just down the hill from Daytower (Nora side). There's a few Snapmaws kicking around but they're easily avoided. If you completed the 'In Foreign Lands' side quest you should have already visited.

KZObsessed

What setup did you go for btw ? I mean mods ? Guessing the heavy bow or the fast bow ?

Oh I'm still quite early on but at the moment I'm going with the faster Hunter bow with high damage modifications as my main. Works well, but also have equipped Sharpshot for tearblast arrows. Those things wreck.

Got the platinum for this last night, absolutely loved the game.

The writing for me was stand out, loved how much detail they went in to when dealing with accounts of the past. Godlike.

Anyone playing this game and not reading every single paragraph of what they find, is playing it wrong in my book.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't used the
override
feature since it's tutorial. Is there any way to use it to
turn the machines against each other
? Also she keeps muttering about trying it on new machines, how do I do that? I tried sneaking up on one but only got a critical hit prompt.

I haven't used the
override
feature since it's tutorial. Is there any way to use it to
turn the machines against each other
? Also she keeps muttering about trying it on new machines, how do I do that? I tried sneaking up on one but only got a critical hit prompt.

Once you've overridden them, they automatically target any other robots nearby. But you can also over ride the ones you have the ability too. (Bad explanation but trying to avoid spoilers)

Basically you'll be able to over ride more later but for now, try sneaking up on a watcher and the prompt should come up to over ride. You hold triangle down for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
i see a few people with a cape on their armor,what kinda armor is that ? is that dlc because i sold those in a shop :(

Yea mine is a Nora pre-order DLC code.

Once you've overridden them, they automatically target any other robots nearby. But you can also over ride the ones you have the ability too. (Bad explanation but trying to avoid spoilers)

Basically you'll be able to over ride more later but for now, try sneaking up on a watcher and the prompt should come up to over ride. You hold triangle down for it.

Thanks, so I shouldn't worry about trying it on larger machines right now?

Roufianos

Enjoying it a lot but had to set it to easy mode.

Firstly because Nioh has given me enough stress and I could do with some down time.

Secondly, it's really jarring pulling off headshots with a bow and not getting a one hit kill. It takes way too many arrows to kill anything. Was being reminded of The Division.

nOoblet16

I found freeze arrows not really reliable. Maybe because I've been using corruption mods on my war bow. I guess I should buy another 2 war bows, each specialized for certain element with corresponding mods.

Corruption arrow is so much fun, by the way. A group of machines is a threat no more for me. Maybe a little too OP, in fact.

That's called player's progression, not the character's. In most RPGs, the enemies you faced a dozen hours before wouldn't be a threat anymore for you right now. Because your character has progressed a lot since then. In Horizon, everything is always a threat. And I'm saying all this as a compliment actually.

Erm...no.
I could one hit kill all early level enemies with my spear and take a lot more damage and basically they weren't a threat to me at all halfway through the game. Enemies that I met halfway through the game became a non threat by the time I got to endgame. And the enemies I found difficult during endgame became easy for me once I found endgame equipments as absolutely nothing can hurt me right now and I can do so much more damage.

Seems like character progression. It's not done via an obvious way i.e. enemy level numbers and such but it's there.

The human AI is honestly pretty dumb. They will see dead bodies without triggering an all-out alert phase. Just snipe them with precision arrows of your sharpshooter bow. Headshots are OHK.

Yeah from KZ we know they could have done better .
Most likely did not have time to do the AI better because it open world .

I completed the Nora Hunting Grounds, got blazing suns in all three trials, but the quest stills appears on the map and in the menu. Why is that? Bothering the completionist in me. I want it gone from my life. I am a fabulous huntress. I deserve for this to be recognized.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm at class and can't stop thinking about this game

Skux

Got the platinum for this last night, absolutely loved the game.

The writing for me was stand out, loved how much detail they went in to when dealing with accounts of the past. Godlike.

Anyone playing this game and not reading every single paragraph of what they find, is playing it wrong in my book.

This is one of the few games where I love engaging with the side lore content. Mainly because it's humans who are the "ancient civilisation with advanced technology who vanished under mysterious circumstances" trope that seemingly every sci-fi/fantasy universe has.

The world depicted in vantages and audio logs is a very near future possibility and it's been really intriguing to piece together what the world of the Old Ones was like.

Redders

I'm using the headphone companion app with my PS4 Gold headset but I can't settle on what preset to use. I've been switching between Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and TLG. Anyone else that use the Gold headset care to comment on what they use?

I'm using The Last of Us, which I do for majority of games, I haven't tried any other presets in this game so can't comment on the others.

Are you finding a significant difference between them?

timedesk

Neo Member
I have been playing on and off for the last two days. I just climbed my first tallneck, and I think this might be the most fun game I've played all year. The game is obviously gorgeous, but I was surprised by how much I am enjoying the lore. Small moments like talking to the sun priest before the proving, or hearing what the tribes believed happened to the old world have been delightful. But beyond everything else, I love the sense of excitement I get with every new machine I fight. I just fought 3 fire bellowbacks in the wild and it was the most intense encounter I've had in the game so far, and I'm still in the early zones. i can't even imagine how exciting it will be to fight my first thunderjaw. As someone who usually gets sick of open world games, it is really refreshing to be excited to explore this huge map rather than dread it.

Markitron

Is it possible to just go roaming around and find quests like that?

I'm only 10 Hrs in but it seems 60% of sidequests are obtained in towns/settlements and the rest from NPC's in the wild.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing this last night, and suffice to say, it's a keeper. Below are some impressions:
WARNING: Early game content spoilers for those who are also starting out.

Just finished the prologue/tutorial and taken control of adult Aloy for the first time.
That said, I've already spent quite a bit of time in the menus, feeling stuff out. Which says something for the design, because usually I want nothing to do with menus and text in this kind of game.

It's been a long time since I've found a tutorial fun, and immediately taken to heart everything it taught me.
Especially for an open world game, with potentially lots of overwhelming info and bits and pieces, it introduces you carefully, but not in a way that feels condescending.
Even the crafting seems pretty unintrusive. Hoarders can gather and craft to their hearts' content, while others can turn off gathering HUD elements, and better yet, only have them appear when manually creating quests for specific items.

Controling Aloy is great. Very responsive and fluid, while feedback with the world feels convincing. (Just the right amount of air control, etc.)
Bow mechanics already make a solid base for combat, and the skill unlocks sound genuinely cool, even very early on.

While the HUD doesn't feel too busy, I'll probably end up disabling a lot of it once I'm comfortable (or again, setting it to Dynamic).

Voice acting and character portrayal is impressive. The bond between Rost and Aloy doesn't feel forced at all.
In fact, the way they interact is very charming even at this stage. "Stop muttering to that plaything!" Sounds like parents the world over when tablets became the norm xD
I'm curious about their culture and the All Mother. Aloy being an outcast and "Motherless" makes me nervous, and already I want her to succeed.

Also, it goes without saying, but the game is flat out stunning. It's gonna be easy to spend a lot of time in photo mode, trying to perfectly frame the moment!

Can't wait to play some more tonight.

Raybunny

Is it possible to just go roaming around and find quests like that?

You will find quite a few quest in fact. Finished the story a couple days ago and while roaming and finishing all collectibles I found more and more quests.

Erm...no.
I could one hit kill all early level enemies with my spear and take a lot more damage and basically they weren't a threat to me at all halfway through the game. Enemies that I met halfway through the game became a non threat by the time I got to endgame. And the enemies I found difficult during endgame became easy for me once I found endgame equipments as absolutely nothing can hurt me right now and I can do so much more damage.

Seems like character progression. It's not done via an obvious way i.e. enemy level numbers and such but it's there.

*Kinda out of context* : On very hard at the end game, level 35 without the bow that allows you to use corruption, using a misture of blue and purple mods I found it challenging specially since I wanted to kill everything without overriding enemies.

It does become easy though if you do override, use the broken whistle mechanic, use the ancient armor and the purple spear, and use the corruption bow.

Out of interest, have people been utilising the fast travel? I've only used it once or twice and that was at the end of long play sessions where I want to set myself in an area for next time, but had to get off the playstation ASAP. In general though, even when it's pure travel with the intent of avoiding enemies etc, I'll ride across the whole expanse I've explored so far, and usually get distracted by something on the way.

Even though they are pretty easy to come by, I do like that they added some sort of barrier to fast travel, those little things plus the HUD control really encourage you in subtle ways to just soak up the world and exist within it oppose to just looking at way points and skipping over areas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp shit sure escalated quickly during the
Proving

is there a way to turn off the quest log on screen but keep the rest of the UI? That shit is super obnoxious especially how it keeps telling me to go into the quest menu after every little step.. no I dont fucking want to go into the quest menu game stop telling me to!

welp shit sure escalated quickly during the
Proving

is there a way to turn off the quest log on screen but keep the rest of the UI? That shit is super obnoxious especially how it keeps telling me to go into the quest menu after every little step.. no I dont fucking want to go into the quest menu game stop telling me to!

Pretty sure. The HUD options are pretty granular, and I don't see any of that with everything turned off, so my assumption is that can go but the rest can be kept.

Wollan

Hulst and Kojima bromance continues. Some great photos on Kojima twitter: https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo

C6O03PbXMAEptSK.jpg:large

C6M1MltU4AA4iyn.jpg:large

C6O02bHXEAA-BTB.jpg:large

C6SZwJeVUAQ-87W.jpg:large

C6O4FeZWQAIynwo.jpg:large

C6M2cYGUsAUDkOX.jpg:large

GlamFM

Banned
You will find quite a few quest in fact. Finished the story a couple days ago and while roaming and finishing all collectibles I found more and more quests.

*Kinda out of context* : On very hard at the end game, level 35 without the bow that allows you to use corruption, using a misture of blue and purple mods I found it challenging specially since I wanted to kill everything without overriding enemies.

It does become easy though if you do override, use the broken whistle mechanic, use the ancient armor and the purple spear, and use the corruption bow.

Where do you get the purple spear and at what point can you get the ancient armor?

Out of interest, have people been utilising the fast travel? I've only used it once or twice and that was at the end of long play sessions where I want to set myself in an area for next time, but had to get off the playstation ASAP. In general though, even when it's pure travel with the intent of avoiding enemies etc, I'll ride across the whole expanse I've explored so far, and usually get distracted by something on the way.

Even though they are pretty easy to come by, I do like that they added some sort of barrier to fast travel, those little things plus the HUD control really encourage you in subtle ways to just soak up the world and exist within it oppose to just looking at way points and skipping over areas.
I do a lot of walking since I love looking for data logs and fighting so I fast travel sparingly
Edit: as always, hermen hulst has a lot of swagger

I'm spending too much time wandering and thinking about what I want to do next. I then get distracted and repeat the cycle.

It's joyful, but really time consuming. I'm 17 hours in and only now have arrived at the Carja Meridian.

I feel like I'm going too slow.

Haha very much empathising with the experience you guys are having. The combat being so good really shakes up any plans you might have as you're passing through the world, it's hard not to see a significant machine or even a herd and start heading over.

Also, I know for sure my game clock is beyond 22 hours right now and I've yet to see Meridian so don't worry about speed haha

Banned
I wish there was a weather control, sometimes I want to keep it on daytime or nightime. Thats my only complaint, everything else is perfect and every time I pick it up I sink hours into it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
2 quick questions. I was just
made a seeker
, and it kinda feels like the game is just starting for real now, even tho I feel like Ive already put like 3 or 4 hours into it. would that be acurate?

Also, speaking of time, where are you guys seeing your time played?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom