• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

I'm around level 30 I think, got 6 skills to spend. I was thinking about getting the far roll and the quiet sprint. Are they worth it? I don't have much in the combat tree because I tend to prefer utility stuff, but the +2 and +3 arrows in one shot are tempting me. My spear isn't upgraded beyond the basic level 1 abilities. Suggestions?

Dodge is useful. Sprint not so much. If it made you totally silent maybe but that is not the case. +3 arrows will come in handy later in the game.

Redders

I'm around level 30 I think, got 6 skills to spend. I was thinking about getting the far roll and the quiet sprint. Are they worth it? I don't have much in the combat tree because I tend to prefer utility stuff, but the +2 and +3 arrows in one shot are tempting me. My spear isn't upgraded beyond the basic level 1 abilities. Suggestions?

I'd say get far roll as its useful against the bigger machines when they charge at you.

If you don't have a +2 arrow I would definitely get that before quiet sprint, so useful for taking parts off . Using quiet sprint so far (just reached Meridian) it's not really needed as it's not that hard to avoid being noticed anyway, just means you can sprint nearer to machines.

2 quick questions. I was just
made a seeker
, and it kinda feels like the game is just starting for real now, even tho I feel like Ive already put like 3 or 4 hours into it. would that be acurate?

Also, speaking of time, where are you guys seeing your time played?
You haven't done shit yet :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The only enemies in the game that doesn't die in less than 30 sec is the big bird - any trick to 30 sec this enemy as well?

Agent

Late game game advice needed! Spoilers ahead.

So I've just entered the coliseum and am facing off against a Behemoth. Now I've heard that there is a "point of no return" at the end of the game. I really want to get the story out of the way and complete everything else after. Am I able to do that by just creating a manual save before that point?

After you complete the "point of no return" they put the game world back to how it was and you can continue with all side quests, errands etc. with your earned progression. No need for a separate save point.

valkyre

Guys what is it with the shadows were sometimes they go bananas when you turn the camera? I play on Pro in resolution mode and sometimes when i move the camera I notice that the shadows and lighting of the environment shift dramatically back and forth.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Level 42, around 24~ hours in the game and still haven't started the story quest that took off in Meridian lol. I'm going to be super OP by the time I decide to actually continue the story.

Just beat
Redmaw
. Honestly, once you learn to tear off their laser disc weapon and use it against them, Thunder Jaw's are no more difficult than a saw tooth. So far,t he hardest enemy I've encountered in the game is a pair of corrupted Behemoths.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Late game game advice needed! Spoilers ahead.

So I've just entered the coliseum and am facing off against a Behemoth. Now I've heard that there is a "point of no return" at the end of the game. I really want to get the story out of the way and complete everything else after. Am I able to do that by just creating a manual save before that point?

You don't really need to do that.
Finishing the game puts you back in the open world right before the final quest.

adamsapple

When Aloy is all "I need to research these new enemies so I can override them", what exactly does that involve?

It means you need to find more Cauldrons and finish them.

Beating each Cauldron unlocks another set of enemies you can then override.

Ricker

When Aloy is all "I need to research these new enemies so I can override them", what exactly does that involve?

You have to find the entrance to dungeons like places(called Cauldrons) and complete them,you will know when one is getting near as the game and Aloy tells you...its a little green tent or roof looking thing on the map and they are hard

Be prepared as they are hard mode.(if it says level 12,try and be level 18 or something lol...)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's looking to me like this is one of those games where, for the best results, you should really spread your perks around all your abilities, instead of min-maxing. Kind of like The Witcher 3. You could just focus on one perk tree and make it work, sure, but you'll be missing out on a whole lot of really useful stuff.

I started out just levelling Aloy's forager abilities, and I was enjoying myself, but once I got into upgrading the spear and taking stealth perks... Things really clicked into place.

Just finished the Proving and got to the part where I can leave the Embrace. Wow, this game is unparalleled. I love reading ancient documents in the ruined cities. I must've spend an hour scrounging for them all.

Corporate Sovereignty, yikes.

Level 40 now heading in to my 3rd Cauldron. Need it to override Ravengers for my last hunting ground trial. Got all the map unlocked. Things are starting to shape up nicely but still got lots of side quests and not done any main quests for a while. Having lots of fun.

Level 42, around 24~ hours in the game and still haven't started the story quest that took off in Meridian lol. I'm going to be super OP by the time I decide to actually continue the story.

Just beat
Redmaw
. Honestly, once you learn to tear off their laser disc weapon and use it against them, Thunder Jaw's are no more difficult than a saw tooth. So far,t he hardest enemy I've encountered in the game is a pair of corrupted Behemoths.

It really makes me happy that I never used the disc launcher, fighting a Thunderjaw is always a visual spectacle and a thrilling challenge to me. Reading here how op the disc launcher is just made me avoid it even more. They should fix it.

You're the first person who I've seen with this opinion. Are you just looking for things to collect? If so there are plenty of those. I think this is one of the prettiest games I have ever played and I just love running around in the world.

Guess I'm just not sure what you mean.
Collecting things without proper reward is worse then fetch quests. It's the loot system. It's garbage tier and there is SO MUCH of it. I would have appreciated a little more weapon and armor variety and have some of those drop instead of resources. The fights are amazing with the robot dinos but ultimately anti-climactic for me because the loot is crap. I know it's a design choice but it doesn't stop me from saying that I would enjoy myself much more if there was worthwhile loot.

Exploring seems to be completely useless as well because of the loot system. Gathering the artifacts? Only if you enjoy wasting your time. So far, I havent found a single thing to explore that is intricate and well made in the world like some of the vaults in some of the Fallout games. Finding stuff like that combined with some good loot makes a world worth exploring not just because it's pretty. Now I haven't even completed the game and haven't made it to Meridian yet but as I said I am feeling the fatigue man.

It really makes me happy that I never used the disc launcher, fighting a Thunderjaw is always a visual spectacle and a thrilling challenge to me. Reading here how op the disc launcher is just made me avoid it even more. They should fix it.

Do yourself a favor, and at least one time, take off the launcher, freeze a Thunderjaw, and then grab the disc launcher and go to town.

Watching the pieces just fly off and the damage stack up is immensely satisfying.

Do yourself a favor, and at least one time, take off the launcher, freeze a Thunderjaw, and then grab the disc launcher and go to town.

Watching the pieces just fly off and the damage stack up is immensely satisfying.

Oh, I do tear the shit out of him, I did it every time I fought him but never grabed the disc launcher. I tried the first time but didn't find it. Then I read here that you basically win if you grab it so I decided to never use it. :p

What's the best way to tackle the corruptors
when you find Olin at the dig site? Tried it once before bed and got wrecked. Tried fire arrows, explosive traps. Two at once seems crazy.

iMax

You don't really need to do that.
Finishing the game puts you back in the open world right before the final quest.

After you complete the "point of no return" they put the game world back to how it was and you can continue with all side quests, errands etc. with your earned progression. No need for a separate save point.
Oh perfect, thanks! Was worried about missing trophies.

Collecting things without proper reward is worse then fetch quests. It's the loot system. It's garbage tier and there is SO MUCH of it. I would have appreciated a little more weapon and armor variety and have some of those drop instead of resources. The fights are amazing with the robot dinos but ultimately anti-climactic for me because the loot is crap. I know it's a design choice but it doesn't stop me from saying that I would enjoy myself much more if there was worthwhile loot.

Exploring seems to be completely useless as well because of the loot system. Gathering the artifacts? Only if you enjoy wasting your time. So far, I havent found a single thing to explore that is intricate and well made in the world like some of the vaults in some of the Fallout games. Finding stuff like that combined with some good loot makes a world worth exploring not just because it's pretty. Now I haven't even completed the game and haven't made it to Meridian yet but as I said I am feeling the fatigue man.

I explored a lot in the game, 56hs and still didn't finish the main story. I enjoyed exploring here most than many games, what drives me is the story of the world, the tribes and how they perceive our world in their context. Also I love to find dynamics interactions between humans and machines and I've stumbled in some quests and misterious places just by exploring.
Now if you want tangible rewards that improves your gameplay in any way then it's understandable to feel like you do.

Oh, I do tear the shit out of him, I did it every time I fought him but never grabed the disc launcher. I tried the first time but didn't find it. Then I read here that you basically win if you grab it so I decided to never use it. :p

Yeah, you're not wrong, but there is something about the impact from that launcher, that makes stuff fly off like nothing else in the game. Even the tear arrows/blaster stuff doesn't come close to the visual spectacle of the explosions and pieces flying.

Falchion

I unlocked the tinker skill and bought the purple sharpshot and hunter bows to throw my best mods on. My fire arrows are so much more effective with all of those buffs on them.

nilstrung

Neo Member
when you find Olin at the dig site? Tried it once before bed and got wrecked. Tried fire arrows, explosive traps. Two at once seems crazy.

Logs! There are a couple of log stacks that kill them instantly. Actually if you wait long enough they eventually will kill themselves with the logs. They are scary but not very smart! xD

Yeah, you're not wrong, but there is something about the impact from that launcher, that makes stuff fly off like nothing else in the game. Even the tear arrows/blaster stuff doesn't come close to the visual spectacle of the explosions and pieces flying.

I plan to finish the game today, after that I have most of collectibles and Hunting Grounds left to complete. It'll be the time to explore much more, take pictures (not that I didn't take a ton already) and try new things. I'll give the disc launcher a go. ;)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I would recommend
drawing them to the top bottleneck and trying to fight one at a time.

That's how I did it, worked great - use
Fire also, lots of Fire.

adamsapple

This:

If nothing else, it's amazing seeing the destruction which seems straight out of Binary Domain.

I explored a lot in the game, 56hs and still didn't finish the main story. I enjoyed exploring here most than many games, what drives me is the story of the world, the tribes and how they perceive our world in their context. Also I love to find dynamics interactions between humans and machines and I've stumbled in some quests and misterious places just by exploring.
Now if you want tangible rewards that improves your gameplay in any way then it's understandable to feel like you do.
I have explored pretty much every nook and cranny of the sacred lands and the only place I found particularly interesting was the cave at the beginning of the game because it told me more about the world that was built by GG. It feels like the first part of the game up until the proving was a different game than I am playing now and is largely because of the lack of world building I have found in the sacred lands.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

Yeah, the gear and loot is scaled back compared to other contemporaries for sure (and I'm a little pissed that I can't get hold of the Nora Lookout Armour because I didn't pre-order). On the one hand, I do agree that material rewards are a little on the slim side and having handed in a few collectibles now to the merchants in Meridian I've been a little underwhelmed by the returns.

That said, it's not detracted for me. Nioh was way too far in the other direction and drove me round the bend and while this is perhaps a little undercooked, it's meant that I can hunt around and level up doing side quests without ever feeling truly OP. I think a mix and match element to the outfits (boots, hat, gloves, chest) would have mixed things up nicely.

WITHE1982

If it's the place I remember there's an
elite bandit who drops a large weapon when killed. I used tear arrows to remove both main weapons from the corrupters then demolished them with the bandit's firework launcher thingy.
Also just stay high up and pretty much nullifies any threat.

CHC

Ohhhhh man
Rost's story
is so amazing.

Not disappointing at all, completely worth waiting two-thirds of the game to finally hear.

I'm like level 21 and haven't even
reached Meridien. Literally at the cusp of entering the new desert area I think.

Am I leaving myself OP for later (playing on normal) lol

I have explored pretty much every nook and cranny of the sacred lands and the only place I found particularly interesting was the cave at the beginning of the game because it told me more about the world that was built by GG. It feels like the first part of the game up until the proving was a different game than I am playing now and is largely because of the lack of world building I have found in the sacred lands.

The lore expands a lot once you leave the sacred lands. That place is for you to get a hang on the game systems.
You have a pretty important cave in there aside the one you mentioned tho.

GlamFM

Banned
Love this game so much that it actually pisses me off that it´s not sitting above 90 on MC.

And I usually really don´t care about this stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the amount of stuff that im starting to get, activity wise, is almost overwhelming.

then again, I just
climbed some sort of dinosaur moving around which basically acted like a assassin's creed tower
, so that was pretty neat :3

void666

Banned
I remember something about a city i had to go to. What was its name again? Novigrad? Whatever.
Here i am in the wilderness hunting dinobots. And it's so much fun.

adamsapple

OléGunner;231629893 said:
I'm like level 21 and haven't even
reached Meridien. Literally at the cusp of entering the new desert area I think.

Am I leaving myself OP for later (playing on normal) lol

Well. You only get +10 HP per level up, you're not gaining attributes. If you have enough resources to get purple rare equipment, then that's your skill, not grinding.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I dunno what difficulty you are playing on (I'm doing the game on easy because little time for gaming etc.), but I set up 3-4 shock tripwires, lured them towards me and then pelted them with the blast sling while they were down until they got up. Then dodgedodgedodge and finished them off with the blast sling and fire arrows.

Ohhhhh man
Rost's story
is so amazing.

Not disappointing at all, completely worth waiting two-thirds of the game to finally hear.

Are you talking about the end of the game?
Because I'm a mission or two away from the end and still have no answers regarding his story. Should I go back to Mother's Watch and talk to people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom