• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

I'm level 16 and already getting open world fatigue.

I don't like how there is no rewarding exploration, no loot or secrets for going outside of the waypoints etc.

My hunter bow is still the POS I started with, and I feel like I'm really under geared for the higher level robots.

You can buy the best gear rather early on. You do know you have to trade for it, right? There's no loot (weapons/armor to find) in this game.

pswii60

3mtY6cj.gif

It'd be amazing if games could look like this one day.

Loudninja

I don't like how there is no rewarding exploration, no loot or secrets for going outside of the waypoints etc.

My hunter bow is still the POS I started with, and I feel like I'm really under geared for the higher level robots.
Ehh?

I don't know about you but I explore a lot of random areas and come across things. Its not a brand new bow or armor in most cases but they scatter quite a few datapoints, random loot chests, and so forth all over the place. If anything I think this game succeeds for me because I'm exploring just to explore in many cases whether its to see where a random trail might go or to try and get to a higher position to take in the glorious view. Most open world games kind of require a weapon to be at the end because the actual exploration is rarely so interesting to warrant trekking off the beaten path.

Pretty much. For me, this game definitely feels to be in the vein of Bloodborne, UC4 and TLG in terms of exploration.

The reward is the exploration itself, not some gear with a +2 on it (which I would hate in this game actually, I like the skill based progression rather than gear based).

eizarus

Banned
This is really good advice.

I actually even went a tiny bit further and set to custom, so you can turn off the compass too.

Literally the only thing on screen is your objective marker or flag marker (if you set one) and everything comes on screen exactly when you need it.
Actually this sounds really good. I've never actually used the compass much. If i happen across a campfire, I'll use it, and if not, I tend to open the full map to get a better sense of direction. Definitely going to try it when I get home.

And a quick touch of the touch pad brings everything up for ~5 seconds.

This really should be the standard in games like this. A million times more immersive.
I absolutely love it when games make use of the touchpad like this. Loved it especially when they added it in The Witcher 3. Really hope more games do this (especially AssCreed).

There is. Explore a bit more ;)

Literally looks like a constant stream of bullshots in action.

That's a back-of-the-box quote if I've ever seen one.

Ricker

The game is hard,period...first of all the suggested levels are all messed up,making you go places you arent quite ready for yet...just did a quest that said level 12,I get there and there's a fight with 2 Corrupters and a bunch of Humans...also the knocking of plates or weakness of ennemies is also kinda weird...it said body weak to fire for example,I have a purple bow with mods in it,like corruption and all,and I do 4 damage on it's body with the fire arrows...? thank god its weak to fire lol...

I love the game,level 24 now with close to 30 hours but it's hard,even on normal,in some ennemy fights...

I am just about to leave the Sacred Lands and I am feeling the same way. Apparently someone says exploring gets better in the game but it won't fix the loot system.

I don't know about you but I explore a lot of random areas and come across things. Its not a brand new bow or armor in most cases but they scatter quite a few datapoints, random loot chests, and so forth all over the place. If anything I think this game succeeds for me because I'm exploring just to explore in many cases whether its to see where a random trail might go or to try and get to a higher position to take in the glorious view. Most open world games kind of require a weapon to be at the end because the actual exploration is rarely so interesting to warrant trekking off the beaten path.

IMHO Exploring should provide deeper levels of understanding of the world in which you are living. It should provide structured side stories and quests that engage the player in active story telling. I can tell you where the next trail leads (at least in the Sacred Lands) it leads to another herd of dinos.

If he is level 16 he is most likely still in the Sacred Lands and I happen to agree with him.

shiba5

Yes, but I've yet to see a better basic bow that uses hunter arrows I believe?

They don't really get "better". I believe they all have the same base stats, but you get more mod slots. You should have run into a trader with the Carja hunter bow. It has two mod slots.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
IMHO Exploring should provide deeper levels of understanding of the world in which you are living. It should provide structured side stories and quests that engage the player in active story telling. I can tell you where the next trail leads (at least in the Sacred Lands) it leads to another herd of dinos.

I'd beg to differ and even referred to the datapoints you can find through out the land, often scattered about in ruins and other areas. Not only that but in exploring the world I've come across most of the random side quests in that manner as well as a bunch of what I assume are random in world events like hunters fighting off robots and have also stumbled across many of the cauldrons and hunting grounds in this manner. All of the areas expand upon the lore of the world, often provide side stories based around that specific place and the characters there, and in most cases provide quite a decent bit of interesting gameplay especially the cauldrons. That and there is nothing wrong to leading to the Dinos as they're the main focus of the gameplay and with as many different types of robots as there are I find myself constantly discovering new ones and I've already sunk over 20 hours into the game.

ced

They don't really get "better". I believe they all have the same base stats, but you get more mod slots. You should have run into a trader with the Carja hunter bow. It has two mod slots.

I believe that's what I have, it was purchased very early. Maybe I need to re-think my mods.

shiba5

I am just about to leave the Sacred Lands and I am feeling the same way. Apparently someone says exploring gets better in the game but it won't fix the loot system.

If he is level 16 he is most likely still in the Sacred Lands and I happen to agree with him.

I mean, but there are these things. There are data points scattered all over with tons of slice-of-life world building. The vantage points were neat too.

I pulled the trigger on this one. Bought it on PSN, my first digital purchase for a retail game.

So before I step into the world, any tips and tricks? What I should be doing and what I shouldn't?

Hopefully I like the game. I'm excited for this one.

VpomRurd

Did you do the Cauldrons...? The Rha one I died like 15 times in the last part on normal lol...

Not that guy but the difficulty is fine (for me). I played the whole game on Hard, probably died 5 times in the whole game. Pretty much all those were just because I was unprepared for a new enemy/situation.

As the gear never really improves that much it's a game that very much depends on your own personal skill level improving over time.

VpomRurd

I pulled the trigger on this one. Bought it on PSN, my first digital purchase for a retail game.

So before I step into the world, any tips and tricks? What I should be doing and what I shouldn't?

I'd say just go in blind. If you're a stickler for trophies there's none that's missable (as is any content) so just enjoy it. It's such a rewarding game to play.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'd say just go in blind. If you're a stickler for trophies there's none that's missable (as is any content) so just enjoy it. It's such a rewarding game to play.

Yep. Completely agree. If blind is possible, just go in, explore, have fun. Make sure you have HDD space for a bajillion screenshots/photo mode shots.

Change the HUD options to dynamic. Don't be afraid to mess around with the difficulty (no trophies associated with them).

mauaus

PLay this game like a tourist, take lots of pics.

VpomRurd

different bows have different quivers? :/

Different quality levels of the same bow have more advanced ammo types (green has one ammo type, blue has two and purple has three) and there are several different types of bow that have different ammo sets altogether.

I mean, but there are these things. There are data points scattered all over with tons of slice-of-life world building. The vantage points were neat too.
Text files that are randomly placed around the world aren't particularly what I look for in a game. Like I said, I am fairly early in the game but there have been few meaningful interactions after the Proving and its wearing on me a bit.

I will quit posting about this topic for now though as I dont want to shit the thread up and have already stated my opinion. I will bring the topic back up once I complete it with my final thoughts.

Text files that are randomly placed around the world aren't particularly what I look for in a game. Like I said, I am fairly early in the game but there have been few meaningful interactions after the Proving and its wearing on me a bit.

I will quit posting about this topic for now though as I dont want to shit the thread up and have already stated my opinion. I will bring the topic back up once I complete it with my final thoughts.

We cant wait to hear them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

There is. Explore a bit more ;)

I agree with him. You pretty much only get good loot (purple mods) from fighting thunderjaws and other big machines. There is one area right in the beginning behind your home that has two Purple mods at a Scrapper site. There needed to be more of that in the game.

The problem is that weapons dont drop at all. it's just crafting items and mods. I would like it to be like Skyrim where you could enter dungeons and get rewards at the end. maybe a piece of armor or something that you can collect to make your own armor or weapon. I'd like to stumble upon random NPCs giving out quests instead of just sitting in villages waiting for me to come talk to them.

it's odd, the combat is emergent but the overall game design is very rigid. it's their first RPG so i will cut them some slack but ced raises a good point that shouldnt just be dismissed with an 'eh'. there is definite need for improvement.

EDIT: to Ced, if you are still using the same hunter bow at level 16 you are doing something wrong. visit merchants and buy at least the blue weapons ffs. if you are level 16, you should be ready to make the trek to Meridian, save up a 1000 metal shards and go buy yourself a purple sureshot bow and start knocking off components with one tear shot. if you are tired of the open world stuff, just play the story missions. no one is forcing you to climb towers, run errands or clear out every outpost. do the hunting ground missions. they give lots and lots of xp, loot and even skill points.

It'd be amazing if games could look like this one day.

are you saying that the game doesnt look as good as Sunhi's gifs? I know he photoshops them or something but the game looks pretty close to that on my 4k tv.

Turnstyle

We just published our podcast dedicated to Horizon. We usually come in under an hour for an episode, but there's so much to cover in this game we nearly went 90 minutes.

Horizon: Zero Dawn podcast

Personally, I loved pretty much every minute with the game, and I feel like Guerilla have done an excellent job of avoiding all the usual open world tropes. I can't believe there's a game out there that left me wanting MORE towers. How is that possible!?!

Can't say I agree with the loot cirticisms. If Horizon 2 features gear scattered around whose purpose to to inflate meaningless numbers, I'll consider it a MASSIVE step back game design wise.

Hopefully GG will add a new game+ mode like CDPR added one for the Witcher 3.

Or patch in a legendary difficulty mode which makes all robos corrupted and disables the focus and concentration.

Can't say I agree with the loot cirticisms. If Horizon 2 features gear scattered around whose purpose to to inflate meaningless numbers, I'll consider it a MASSIVE step back game design wise.

Agreed, that would just take away from the immersion and constant adventure the game provides.

HStallion

I'd like more gear and more distinct gear in terms of looks and stats/abilities but I'd like those items to be very hard to get and require work to finally obtain. Whether its taking on the hardest of robos to gather the needed crafting materials or as rewards for specific side quests or something along those lines.

I had to laugh at how utterly intricate, and quite frankly, flat out cool the cauldron I just ran through was. The sense of wonder, discovery, and mystery is all there. This game is an escapist's dream.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like logs if they're done well and flesh out the world. My gripe with Horizon is they can be a bit scattered so you don't come across them easily. I'd like a map or something to update with log locations once I'm done with the story so I can backtrack and fill in the gaps. Most of what I've seen and heard so far doesn't tell much

Apt101

One of my favorite things about this game is exploration. Seeing if there is a way up to some mecca, and there is! And then looking about the ruins, wondering what the last people who were there were up to. Or finding a vendor who sells some really cool item like the
neverending travel pack

I've lost hours in this game just looking at far off places and wondering "can I get up there?". And the answer is almost always yes, and there is always something worthwhile there. Or the odd caverns. Abandoned settlements. Etc. This is one of the best open worlds ever made and Jesus Christ it is massive.

HStallion

God this game is annoying. Beautiful and absolutely annoying and non rewarding as hell. I hate reviews... It's always bullshit

Its not rewarding how? I'm just curious because taking on the robos, especially the larger tougher ones and actually coming out ahead is one of the more rewarding gameplay experiences I've had in the last couple years. I had a battle with 4 stalkers today and it was nearly 10 minutes long and my palms were sweaty and heart racing by the time I finally one without any health potions and an empty medicine pouch and a much depleted stock of ammo.

Maybesew

question about the ancient armor

I didn't get the power cell inside the mothers mountain and now i can't go back in there because the gate is closed. Will it re-open or is there another way in?

I think for me the exploration is rewarding in a different way. For example, I was just messing around and found a large enemy I'd never seen before (Nora area spoilers)
a Fire Bellowback
. So I took my time with it, studied it, and fought it on my own terms just to get a feel for the enemy and how to take it down.

Then later I ran into the same enemy in not one, but two quests under much more hectic conditions. But because I'd explored around and already had a feel for taking the guy down, I didn't have nearly as much trouble as if I'd suddenly found myself fighting a new enemy while in a scenario where other enemies were in my face and I couldn't take it slow and thoughtfully.

I love that this game is the antithesis of exploration must equal loot. It makes exploration rewarding (to me at least) without having to have a collectible check mark at the end of a mountain path or a weapon chest that's slightly better or worse than the weapon I have and probably won't ever use. I love that as soon as I left the Embrace I could buy any weapon I wanted to try out. I love this game.

Trojan

I am in love with this game's combat system. I love the rock-paper-scissor elemental system that forces you to frequently switch up weapons and tactics. The game also actively encourages you to experiment with different loadouts by giving you easy experience for each weapon tutorial and limiting your active wheel to four.

Makes me always plan and scout before jumping into a skirmish vs steamrolling everything with one OP weapon as in many RPGs.

Trickster

I didn't get the power cell inside the mothers mountain and now i can't go back in there because the gate is closed. Will it re-open or is there another way in?

It will reopen

How on earth would it be a step back in terms of game design to allow more weapons or gear customization?

Not to mention, all the mod components you loot and find around the world litterally do just that though, inflate/deflate numbers.

I'd like more gear and more distinct gear in terms of looks and stats/abilities but I'd like those items to be very hard to get and require work to finally obtain. Whether its taking on the hardest of robos to gather the needed crafting materials or as rewards for specific side quests or something along those lines.

Yea, I certainly wouldn't mind that. I meant more in regards to other RPGs that have loot scattered around that's damage +1 or some other meaningless stat increased that makes you think that the exploration was worth it. That stuff does nothing for me.

One of the reasons I'm enjoying Horizon so much is because the game doesn't feel gated by gear difficulty wise. I've gotten better at fighting Snapmaws because I've gotten more skilled and learned more effective strategies, not because of new better damaging bows. And that feels damn good.

VpomRurd

If the gate is closed try walking out of the settlement over the bridge and turn around. It was closed for me until I did that.

-griffy-

Banned
Thought this was kind of cool. I completely missed a jump on top of a mountain, and assumed I would fall to an insta-death, but was surprised when I landed safely on a ledge below. Then I managed to scale all the way to the bottom of the mountain safely by finding safe spots to jump/fall to.

I'm surprised by how much of the environment you can actually climb around on.

Yea on Sunday I took a break and went back to the starting area and just went checklist hunting. Metal flowers, vessels, vantage points, etc. I didn't have a bad time but I did realize that I was screwing up the momentum of the game for myself. There is plenty to do if you just walk around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom