• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What stats do I want on a Ropecaster? Handling it Tear?

I use 3 +tear mods with + handling as bonus stat.

690b639a-087c-45c4-aea9-2178d7b329a2.jpg

You can add more +handling mods to make it fire faster, but I'd rather take the bonus tear.

xtwo

this is the only open world game where i just like to walk . i am 16 hours in and only fast traveled once and i think i have only Mounted the strider just for 2 or 3 min. max.

Well. You only get +10 HP per level up, you're not gaining attributes. If you have enough resources to get purple rare equipment, then that's your skill, not grinding.

Yeah good point!
Got enough resources for maybe one purp outfit item so far.

Anyways, I just do so much exploring in one area before moving on I thought I was moving at too slow a clip haha

AngryMoth

Finished the game last night at 40 hours with most side quests done. Overall it was a fantastic experience and one of my favourite games of the gen so far. Here's some pros and cons:

+ I loved the story in this game. It's so refreshing to see a developer hard commit to building such an original world with complex lore. Aloy is a good protagonist and I like her character design a lot, and it's nice to see a female as the lead of a big new AAA franchise. The tribal setting with technology being basically the basis for a religion is a fascinating premise and I'm impressed by the way they set up so many mysteries then actually managed to provide satisfying answers to almost everything.
+ Combat vs the machines is great. I played on hard difficulty and this felt perfectly balanced with me rarely dying but been forced to use all of my tools against the more difficult machines. Aloy feels great to control, they give you a nice variety of tools.
+ Best graphics I've ever seen in a game with great variety of environments. Love the atmosphere in the ruins like Devil's Grief

- Combat against humans is pretty bad, definitely an area they could improve on in a potential sequel.
- Side quests are mostly decent but not to up to par with the likes of The Witcher 3
- The game feels a little unpolished in some ways. Meridian doesn't hold a candle to Novigrad and I think feels kind of unfinished. The market area in the village where 3 or 4 merchants keep spamming the same voice line on top of each other is a small thing but also the sort of thing that should have been fixed. Think there's some rough around the edges stuff like this which maybe shows the studio's inexperience with open world games.
- Lip syncing is bad during side quests, only negative thing I can say about the visuals mind.
- RPG elements are a little limited; small skill tree, limited selection of outfits and weapons..
- While it's not a very big part of the game, the platforming being cut from the same cloth as uncharted means it suffers from the same problem, i.e. there is no challenge to it which means no sense of danger or tension and leads to it being something of a chore. Fortunately though it's infrequent enough for this to not really be a problem and it does actually provide a nice change of pace sometimes.
- Dungeons could have been better, some puzzles would have been nice.

Despite those complaints they nailed the 2 most important things which were the story and core combat. Probably give it a low 9/10. A little concerned that they blew their wad story wise with this game despite hinting at it with the post credits scene, as they covered basically all the most important stuff in this game. We'll see though, read some interesting theories about the {spoiler]origin or the signal that wakes Hades[/spoilers] and would definitely be happy for them to build on the gameplay from this game. Congrats to Guerrilla, they put them selves on the map big time for me.

Roussow

Man, I've hit level 32 and my main and side quests are around level 15 - 20. I actually don't mind the idea of outlevelling the content here, the combat is super engaging either way.

Question, can I skip to day or night, is there any system to skip time?

Man, I've hit level 32 and my main and side quests are around level 15 - 20. I actually don't mind the idea of outlevelling the content here, the combat is super engaging either way.

Question, can I skip to day or night, is there any system to skip time?

No to your second question.

You won't exactly outlevel content. I'm in a similar boat (lvl 50 as of last night) and even with all the skills unlocked, it's still a lot more about knowing how to approach each fight, and that's more subjective learning than it is straight progressing through a skill tree.

Finished the game last night at 40 hours with most side quests done. Overall it was a fantastic experience and one of my favourite games of the gen so far. Here’s some pros and cons:

+ I loved the story in this game. It’s so refreshing to see a developer hard commit to building such an original world with complex lore. Aloy is a good protagonist and I like her character design a lot, and it’s nice to see a female as the lead of a big new AAA franchise. The tribal setting with technology being basically the basis for a religion is a fascinating premise and I’m impressed by the way they set up so many mysteries then actually managed to provide satisfying answers to almost everything.
+ Combat vs the machines is great. I played on hard difficulty and this felt perfectly balanced with me rarely dying but been forced to use all of my tools against the more difficult machines. Aloy feels great to control, they give you a nice variety of tools.
+ Best graphics I’ve ever seen in a game with great variety of environments. Love the atmosphere in the ruins like Devil’s Grief

- Combat against humans is pretty bad, definitely an area they could improve on in a potential sequel.
- Side quests are mostly decent but to up to par with the likes of The Witcher 3
- The game feels a little unpolished in some ways. Meridian doesn’t hold a candle to Novigrad and I think feels kind of unfinished. The market area in the village where 3 or 4 merchants keep spamming the same voice line on top of each other is a small thing but also the sort of thing that should have been fixed. Think there’s some rough around the edges stuff like this which maybe shows the studio’s inexperience with open world games.
- Lip syncing is bad during side quests, only negative thing I can say about the visuals mind.
- RPG elements are a little limited; small skill tree, limited selection of outfits and weapons..
- While it’s not a very big part of the game, the platforming being cut from the same cloth as uncharted means it suffers from the same problem, i.e. there is no challenge to it which means no sense of danger or tension and leads to it being something of a chore. Fortunately though it’s infrequent enough for this to not really be a problem and it does actually provide a nice change of pace sometimes.
- Dungeons could have been better, some puzzles would have been nice.

Despite those complaints they nailed the 2 most important things which were the story and core combat. Probably give it a low 9/10. A little concerned that they blew their wad story wise with this game despite hinting at it with the post credits scene, as they covered basically all the most important stuff in this game. We’ll see though, read some interesting theories about the {spoiler]origin or the signal that wakes Hades[/spoilers] and would definitely be happy for them to build on the gameplay from this game. Congrats to Guerrilla, they put them selves on the map big time for me.

I agree to some degree with most of what you said except with the bolded:

1- Meridia is gorgeous to me, I like it more than Novigrad but they have different styles so both have their pros in that regard. I never explored conversations enough to know how much repetition they have but I think in the end you end up with the same feeling in both cities: Meridia is a place where you spend a time but not nearly as much as Novigrad so even if Novigrad has more things going on, the time comes when you already know every conversation that npcs have and it comes way before you leave the place for good.
I'll tell you what I like more about Meridia, I tried to replay The Witcher III a while ago and abandoned it when I reached Novigrad and had to track Dandelion's girlfriends. The Witcher III have probably the best side stories in any game but it also have a lot of them that are really boring.

2- Automated jumps exist because of me, what you say is logical and understandable but really I don't need those "challenging jumping mechanics" in games like this or Uncharted, I would cry blood if I fall to my death while climbing a big mountain and have to start all over again... the climbing is not important, getting to your destination and enjoying the journey are, to me.

I agree with the rest, I liked side stories they weren't super deep but when you mix them with some amazing battles it leaves a good impression. I'm ok with weapons but expect more in the sequel, I do wish a couple more outfits. And the skill tree is tightly designed but it needs more skills too.

Apt101

I'm pretty sure most of my wildlife kills are from accidentally running over fauna.

I found a spot with a bunch of dead snapmaws. LIttle abandoned town built into the cliffs. Right across from it is a cliff overlooking a stream full of snapmaws and razorbacks. You can post up above them and set up traps and wires to prvent them from getting up to you. I went from level 26 to 28 just killing them.

hydruxo

Yeah after the initial shock and awe of the scale of Meridian, I was a bit disappointed that there's just really not much to do there. Novigrad in TW3, or even a lot of cities in Skyrim have lots of indoor buildings to go in and secrets to find. It's not a big deal because Meridian is still a really cool place, but it's something I hope GG improves on in a sequel.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you call your mount when its not around? it doesnt show up in the d-pad menu.

I have the permanent override skill

Roussow

No to your second question.

You won't exactly outlevel content. I'm in a similar boat (lvl 50 as of last night) and even with all the skills unlocked, it's still a lot more about knowing how to approach each fight, and that's more subjective learning than it is straight progressing through a skill tree.

That's good to hear, I got into two one on one fights that were pretty grueling, one was an encounter with a Thunderjaw, and one with a Stormhawk (forgive me for potentially fucking up names here, the big laser T-Rex and the giant fuck-off Bird if it was unclear). I think they were both around level 27 and drained me of ammo still.

They were my first encounters with each respective enemy type and they both played like a dream, I'm considering dropping my Sling, Tripcaster, and Rope Caster though in favour of more bows, with more elemental weapon types, there seems to be a little more bias in the skill tree towards bow combat, especially given I've got the triple arrow shot ability.

I'd like to hear recommendations on arsenals, I like the Ropecaster in theory, but after getting an enemy down I don't feel like I'm able to do much damage to make it worth my time, either with Critical attacks or just pelting the thing while it's down.

I was trying to do all the Hunting challenges, and I've gotten 9/15 completed to the highest level, but unfortunately I need to more Cauldrens to continue (to get Override privleges), so now that's my next priority, alongside finding the last few animal skins to get all my capacity up.

Two more questions, are there many unique or at least different outfits to what I've seen at merchants all over the world? So far I'm picking lower level stuff (just what looks the best really), a lot of the high end stuff is pretty unapppealing, even in Meridian.

Second question, how many side quests / errands are there roughly? The ones I've completed are pretty dense and time consuming so far (at least in sending you to a bunch of locations all over), just wondering whether there's fewer of them and they're just more complex than your usual side quests.

Apt101

Yeah after the initial shock and awe of the scale of Meridian, I was a bit disappointed that there's just really not much to do there. Novigrad in TW3, or even a lot of cities in Skyrim have lots of indoor buildings to go in and secrets to find. It's not a big deal because Meridian is still a really cool place, but it's something I hope GG improves on in a sequel.

Novigrad had to recreate a facsimile of a medieval town, and the player was expected to spend a lot of time questing within that actual town. So it makes sense.

Maybe a more substantial settlement will be part of a DLC. But in the world of Horizon, at least this corner of it, I think Meridian makes perfect sense. This isn't a world with bustling civilizations like the Witcher. I think it would be weird to have a massive city in such a setting.

CHC

Are you talking about the end of the game?
Because I'm a mission or two away from the end and still have no answers regarding his story. Should I go back to Mother's Watch and talk to people!?

Which mission is this? I've been waiting for it for so long. 😭

After you
save the Nora from the Eclipse invasion and go back into the door at Mother's Den, you can talk to Teersa after you come back out and everyone calls you the anointed
. She'll finally tell you. It's really good.

silva1991

Finally killed my first rockbreaker.

ropecaster+ice shots+ focus bow on green liquid
made the fight easier than I thought.

I use 3 +tear mods with + handling as bonus stat.

You can add more +handling mods to make it fire faster, but I'd rather take the bonus tear.

Does the ropecaster actually tears armors? I never noticed it did so that;'s why I didn't put tear coil mode on it.

Just got the plat with 39 hours on the clock and a ton left to do.

It's a shame that the level cap is only 50 though, I got to level 50 yesterday and all the XP gained from the remaining side missions isn't really going towards anything now.

Game is bloody fantastic though, fair play. Can't wait for some DLC hopefully. pls GG.

Are you given stronger and better armour just from doing main quests or do you always have to buy it?

I've to go and see Olin since it was his Focus that people spied through... BUT before I go to him I kind of want to roam around and do some side quests. I haven't even seen a tall neck yet! But am afraid if I venture out I'll get killed easily... so maybe I should do main quests to get better armour and then go exploring?

vypek

You will get them during the course of the story. Just remember to climb everywhere in a level, and look in all nooks and crannies.

Awesome. Thanks. :)

Are you given stronger and better armour just from doing main quests or do you always have to buy it?

I've to go and see Olin since it was his Focus that people spied through... BUT before I go to him I kind of want to roam around and do some side quests. I haven't even seen a tall neck yet! But am afraid if I venture out I'll get killed easily... so maybe I should do main quests to get better armour and then go exploring?

Just explore now. Main quests won't benefit you too much in terms of gear and I'm around the same point with Olin that you are. I've done a ton of sidequests and leveled up a lot. Bought gear to take down enemies and get even more gear. All weapons are purple now and I have two armor sets that I use pretty frequently. You probably won't get killed easily but even if you do there are probably enough campfires in the areas you explore that you'll be okay and able to devise a strategy.

Apt101

My favorite thing about Aloy?

Asking people to cut the shit and get straight to the point.

I like how she basically does it for the player at times. Like yea, I answered the first question compassionately, or conceded a point, but now get to the fucking point (or don't start that "you're a pretty girl..." shit with me).

Just finished all of the hunting grounds with blazing sun marks.

I take it that's the hardest part for platinum? I guess I'm going for it, then.

this is the only open world game where i just like to walk . i am 16 hours in and only fast traveled once and i think i have only Mounted the strider just for 2 or 3 min. max.
This. I literally walk whenever I'm going through a forest or a beautiful location. It's great.

Just explore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just finished all of the hunting grounds with blazing sun marks.

I take it that's the hardest part for platinum? I guess I'm going for it, then.

I already hate those, but im never a big fan (and bug not a big fan, I mean I hate it) of time trial shit

So I'm doing a side quests that prompts me to kill a rockbreaker at a quarry. While I was fighting, I decided to jump on top of a rock and wait until it came abpve ground. No, he never did.

Tried to run around a little bit and went back there, but the rockbreaker was nowhere to be found. What to do?

TsuWave

its hilarious to corrupt/override a watcher and watch em go duke it out with a ravager just to get wrecked in 0.5 seconds lmao. brave little souls those watchers.

Love this game so much that it actually pisses me off that it´s not sitting above 90 on MC.

And I usually really don´t care about this stuff.

me too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

You know what's hilarious

I've put so much motherfucking time into this, I literally know almost 90% of Sunhi's gif

This the Stormbird location near the lake, a little further down the river infested with Snapmaws
Broadheads are to the left with save point
Behind Aloy is a cliff split leading to Stalkers
Longlegs to your right

LOL, I've played too much if this fucking game!

Confused about the Hunting Trial Rewards.
How do you get the ALL versions? I just did the parts alone trial three times because the ALL log has three suns..that doesnt seem to be it.

DirtyLarry

It's not underground and the best advice I can give is to use your focus scan and search for ancient debris. That one took a while for me as well

If that's the one where the map icon is in a ruin and there is a river next to it, that was my first ancient vessel and drove me NUTS. I almost decided right there that I'd not bother with collectibles, but that was the hardest one all game for me. Perhaps this isn't the one you're referring to, but either way good luck on that one.

If you get tired enough of it you can check out a video with the locations of them:

https://youtu.be/g4gGvTppNg0

Took me a while for that one also. It's right across the river.

Thanks for the replies. This is indeed the exact one I was talking about. Now I know why it was driving me nuts!!!

Same here. I walked from...beyond Meridian, backed to one of the starter areas to do a quest. It took awhile, but I got into so much shit that it was worth it. I'm even getting confident and fucking with Tramplers for fun...Glinthawks are annoying though. It's fun when you come across things and depending on if I'm in the mood to fight it I'll pause analyze everything and set up a trap and just lure it into it. I did this on a Sawtooth yesterday and it just became trivialized. Funny how I used to run from Scrappers and now I just kick the shit out of them.
What could they even do for a dlc?

I really want a mammoth, bear, and more birds.
I hope they add stuff bigger than a ThunderJaw.

Apt101

its hilarious to corrupt/override a watcher and watch em go duke it out with a ravager just to get wrecked in 0.5 seconds lmao. brave little souls those watchers.

me too.

Those low reviews sound like they were written by teenagers. Whatever process they use to source reviews is bunk.

What could they even do for a dlc?

I really want a mammoth, bear, and more birds.

I think that would be killer. I would be totally fine with all the DLC taking place on the existing map if it meant a bunch more unique enemy types get added and they have unique hunts for them.

If a whole DLC pack was just a bunch of new hunts, I'd buy that in a second.

After you
save the Nora from the Eclipse invasion and go back into the door at Mother's Den, you can talk to Teersa after you come back out and everyone calls you the anointed
. She'll finally tell you. It's really good.

Of course! that's what I was thinking, I hope I can go back still and ask her! I need to know!! :O

I've just finished Gaia's mission, and I'm at the gates of Meridia but have not started the quest yet so I can go back to Mother's and see if Teersa is still there, hopefully.
:/

alexbull_uk

Loving the game. I'm at the part where
you're asked to clear two corrupted zones before going to Meridia.

It's taken me ~17hrs so far. How long do I likely have left? Don't want it to be over yet :)

Hmm, interesting. Why Tear over Handling? Isn't being able to fire out ropes super fast more beneficial than the Tear?

Rips off components faster. You can go either way. More tear means faster components shred, more handling means faster rope arrows and reload speed. With concentration you don't really need a lot of handling imo, and everything except the stormbird goes down with less than 3 ropes.

NoiCE!

Is there any weapon as good as the DLC stuff? I here it's crazy good...I thinking putting like 2 damage and 1 tear buff on a Heavy Bow with triple shot will kill a good amount of stuff with like 3 hits to the vitals.

I don't have the dlc stuff, but targeting weak spots is the fastest way to kill them.

Does the ropecaster actually tears armors? I never noticed it did so that;'s why I didn't put tear coil mode on it.

Yup, it doesn't do any direct damage though.

Oh damn when you got that cannon blast off right before the tail swipe landed, tense. I need to get on that corruption and terablast tip. And what resistances were those?

Yeah those fights are always very exciting and that area is full of tramplers, glinthawks and longlegs. If you want mayhem, aggro all of them and it's like robot dino wild west. so good...

+melee protection on the protector armor. It's too strong, the tail wipe barely takes down 10% of my HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom