• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
3mtY6cj.gif

Amazing.

I actually came across a group of birds just like that gif, but it's just staying there, like forming a sign or some sort. Pretty weird.

I already hate those, but im never a big fan (and bug not a big fan, I mean I hate it) of time trial shit

I also usually never deal with that kind of stuff. But time trials in Horizon are just so challengingly fun, and they also serve as advanced tutorials. You might learn new tricks from the trials.

Confused about the Hunting Trial Rewards.
How do you get the ALL versions? I just did the parts alone trial three times because the ALL log has three suns..that doesnt seem to be it.

Maybe by submitting everything in one go?

I did exactly that and the npc mentioned it that it was quite an accomplishment.

TheFlow

Banned
yo a big ass Gorilla would be awesome. but mane I can't wait another 3-4 years for new content. so I hope we get something. hunting quest are fine by me too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wonder what machines are possible in the sequel. Robotic humans would be awesome.

Shit I requested sequel be set in Africa

Give me Gorillas, Tigers, Lions, Buffalos, Hyaenas, Wildebeest, Monkeys, Orangutans, Rhinos, Elephants, everything!

Camels as "grazers"

Hell Robo-Neanderthals, "Missing Links"

Amazing.

I actually came across a group of birds just like that gif, but it's just staying there, like forming a sign or some sort. Pretty weird.

I also usually never deal with that kind of stuff. But time trials in Horizon are just so challengingly fun, and they also serve as advanced tutorials. You might learn new tricks from the trials.

Maybe by submitting everything in one go?

I did exactly that and the npc mentioned it that it was quite an accomplishment.

Just got it...you just need to do all the trials within that quest. I had only done two.

G-Bus

Banned
25 hours in now and I just ran into my first Bohemouth. Two of them actually. I was not ready. I'm still not ready. Fuck those guys.

I've had the rock breakers throw stuff at me.. still haven't confronted them.

Two more questions, are there many unique or at least different outfits to what I've seen at merchants all over the world? So far I'm picking lower level stuff (just what looks the best really), a lot of the high end stuff is pretty unapppealing, even in Meridian.

Not as many as I'd like. I'm with you. Even the purple tier gear doesn't look great. I generally don't like the outfit/armor design in this game. It's logical for the setting, but I still don't find it aesthetically appealing at all. And on top of that, I like the Blaze heavy the best, because it looks closest to real armor, but has her stomach showing, which is not a tactically sound approach and kind of non sensical....

The armor buffs aren't huge anyway. Wear what looks cool, even if it's not purple tier.

Second question, how many side quests / errands are there roughly? The ones I've completed are pretty dense and time consuming so far (at least in sending you to a bunch of locations all over), just wondering whether there's fewer of them and they're just more complex than your usual side quests.

Not sure, i've probably done 5-7 side quests and 8ish errands and i've only done the first main story quest at meridian

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
yo a big ass Gorilla would be awesome. but mane I can't wait another 3-4 years for new content. so I hope we get something. hunting quest are fine by me too.
Yeah, I'm only about a third or halfway through but I can already tell it's going to be agony when this game ends. My dream is a Blood and Wine scale expansion, but I'd take more missions with new machines in the same world too.

krae_man

Are some quests glitched?

Right after I became a seeker I came across the guy with the 3 challenges with 3 tiers of time limits. One being kill some mechadeer with logslides.

I completed all 3 in under the smallest time limit, got all the rewards, sigil things, trophies etc, and I got the next quest in the chain(hunters lodge or something), but I still don't have the quest tagged as complete. Did I miss something I needed to do?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I use 3 +tear mods with + handling as bonus stat.

You can add more +handling mods to make it fire faster, but I'd rather take the bonus tear.
Why would you put tear mods instead of handling on a ropecaster? Are you knocking off components with each shot or something? I'd think getting 5 shots off in quick succession to bring these machines down quick would be the best use for a ropecaster.

I was running around with purple damage and tier mods on my precision bow, but once i switched to handling mods, everything changed. I can reload faster, aiming is much better and i can still knock off parts using one tear arrow.

i still havent figured out if damage mods are better than fire mods. use freeze mods on my war bow to quickly freeze everyone, but my trip casters, slings and the fire arrows are all using purple fire mods and i'm wondering if i should switch out a few of them for damage mods. I like how fire just destroys glinthawks' ability to fly and sends Snapmaws running away. i think using damage mods on bombs and tripcaster is probably a good idea.

Love how the game encourages you to play around. Switching stuff is a breeze. it's all so fast and snappy. other RPGs could learn a thing or two from Horizon.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Right after I became a seeker I came across the guy with the 3 challenges with 3 tiers of time limits. One being kill some mechadeer with logslides.

I completed all 3 in under the smallest time limit, got all the rewards, sigil things, trophies etc, and I got the next quest in the chain(hunters lodge or something), but I still don't have the quest tagged as complete. Did I miss something I needed to do?
Nah just keep playing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Nope your good

Keep doing main quests
Not gonna spoil that shit for you

You'll understand once you reach the "main hub"

That's just the beginning of the hunting lodge quest line. You still have a long way to go.

X-Frame

Rips off components faster. You can go either way. More tear means faster components shred, more handling means faster rope arrows and reload speed. With concentration you don't really need a lot of handling imo, and everything except the stormbird goes down with less than 3 ropes.

Ahh, I never tried using Concentration with the Ropecaster. In fact, I don't think I've tried using it for any other non-Bow weapon.

Kill3r7

Interesting strategy with the ropecaster. I am primarily trying to pin down a beast. Never thought of using it to knock off armor. I have yet to come across a weapon or part that does not come off from +3 tearblast arrows.

silva1991

Help

Sylus or whatever his name is is telling me that I'm about to enter a point of no return. Is this temporary or should I go back and do optimal stuff now? stuff like the rest of teh power cells.

shiba5

Help

Sylus or whatever his name is is telling me that I'm about to enter a point of no return. Is this temporary or should I go back and do optimal stuff now? stuff like the rest of teh power cells.

It's just a really long quest. You return to the game world after it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If they do DLC I hope they go along the Witcher 3 route and just do one or two much larger expansion pack style DLC that adds a lot of new content all at once for like $20. More weapons, more ammo types, more enemies, maybe some new map locations and areas and maybe even some new styles of gameplay. Make it a self contained but still meaty storyline.

One thing I wished the base Horizon had was more minigames and stuff to spice things up a bit. Even something as simple as fishing would be cool and if they want to keep it in line with the rest of the game just make it harpoon fishing where you stand on a dock or rocky outcropping with a "fishing harpoon" or spears or something and have to lance fish that swim by. Of course they should add more fish types to make this worthwhile or even some robotic ones to really keep things interesting.

shiba5

That's just the beginning of the hunting lodge quest line. You still have a long way to go.

I wish I could find it, but I read something from a dev yesterday that said the hunting lodge trials never get marked complete so you can keep doing them over and over if you want to.

eizarus

Banned
Just incase anyone hasn't tried it yet, switch your HUD to the dynamic option. Clears all the clutter and brings up things relevant to context (e.g. health in combat). Makes the already beautiful game look even better.

Geez it always catches me off guard when a sawtooth notices my tripwire and leaps over it. Burning the sawtooth causes it to just charge at me with reckless abandon so there's that. Also shat my pants when a stalker right beside me because I tripped one of his alarms.

Could someone give me an indication as to how far I am in the story? I wanna pace myself to beat the game before Nier comes in but also don't want to rush.

Current progress:
I just found out that Olins family was taken hostage and now I'm going to a site that was marked on a map.

Just incase anyone hasn't tried it yet, switch your HUD to the dynamic option. Clears all the clutter and brings up things relevant to context (e.g. health in combat). Makes the already beautiful game look even better.

This is really good advice.

I actually even went a tiny bit further and set to custom, so you can turn off the compass too.

Literally the only thing on screen is your objective marker or flag marker (if you set one) and everything comes on screen exactly when you need it.

And a quick touch of the touch pad brings everything up for ~5 seconds.

This really should be the standard in games like this. A million times more immersive.

Apt101

I'm never getting platinum, because I am just too old to be bothering with time trial shit. :(

I thought I managed to take down a corrupter with only four shots somehow. Not sure what the fuck I hit, what blew up, or if it was a glitch, but I stood there a few seconds dumfounded like - what the fuck happened?

Then I see the sawtooth I forgot I overrode several minutes earlier come striding up over the hill behind it. Good looking out, mate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm these "ubisoft style" tropes are starting to suck my enjoyment out of the game, I should ignore them and get back on track but the completionist part of my brain itches if I do that.

But this vantage point is really bugging me, I cant see a way up there, are you supposed to jump off Tallnecks for some of them?

Kill3r7

Hmm these "ubisoft style" tropes are starting to suck my enjoyment out of the game, I should ignore them and get back on track but the completionist part of my brain itches if I do that.

But this vantage point is really bugging me, I cant see a way up there, are you supposed to jump off Tallnecks for some of them?

Which one?

LogicStep

So without spoiling please..

I ran into some ruins early on and found a locked off area that asks for
two power cells and behind the locked doors you can see some sort of futuristic looking black metal suit or at least that's what I think I saw. I hope I get to wear it!
It gave a quest for it which is level 25 req. I'm around level 21 and have not ran into anything for that. I went straight to
Meridian
after doing a lot of quests because I was streaming for a friend and didn't want to just explore around which btw that quest threw me off a bit. I had to go a long ass way to
Meridian
while there was a ton of new area to explore but barely anything to do on the way although I did stick to the main road. Anyways, do I eventually get what I need to go back there or do I need to actively look for it?

Chance

I'm around level 30 I think, got 6 skills to spend. I was thinking about getting the far roll and the quiet sprint. Are they worth it? I don't have much in the combat tree because I tend to prefer utility stuff, but the +2 and +3 arrows in one shot are tempting me. My spear isn't upgraded beyond the basic level 1 abilities. Suggestions?

Quiet sprint is godly. Run from target to target, sliding the last ten feet into a stealth takedown or override? Delicious.

shiba5

two power cells and behind the locked doors you can see some sort of futuristic looking black metal suit or at least that's what I think I saw. I hope I get to wear it!
It gave a quest for it which is level 25 req. I'm around level 21 and have not ran into anything for that. I went straight to
Meridian
after doing a lot of quests because I was streaming for a friend and didn't want to just explore around which btw that quest threw me off a bit. I had to go a long ass way to
Meridian
while there was a ton of new area to explore but barely anything to do on the way although I did stick to the main road. Anyways, do I eventually get what I need to go back there or do I need to actively look for it?

You can't get the last two until near the very end of the game.

I do wish they'd add a new game+.

Loving the game. I'm at the part where
you're asked to clear two corrupted zones before going to Meridia.

It's taken me ~17hrs so far. How long do I likely have left? Don't want it to be over yet :)

You have a lot of game left yet, if you plan to do some side quest you're about 20% in the game.

Could someone give me an indication as to how far I am in the story? I wanna pace myself to beat the game before Nier comes in but also don't want to rush.

Current progress:
I just found out that Olins family was taken hostage and now I'm going to a site that was marked on a map.

Have you completed the Meridia's main quest? If so then you're around 40%, if not I'd say 30%? It depends on how many side quest you did and will do.

someone asked how many side quest are in the game, don't remember but it's about
20 side quest and 20 errands, close to that number o more.

Apt101

Meridian
Meridian

You'll come across them over the course of the game, in main story missions. But if you're not thorough there is a chance you can miss them.

ced

I'm level 16 and already getting open world fatigue.

I don't like how there is no rewarding exploration, no loot or secrets for going outside of the waypoints etc.

My hunter bow is still the POS I started with, and I feel like I'm really under geared for the higher level robots.

Do what I do, leave collectibles and huntings for the post game and only complete side quest and errands.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm level 16 and already getting open world fatigue.

I don't like how there is no rewarding exploration, no loot or secrets for going outside of the waypoints etc.

My hunter bow is still the POS I started with, and I feel like I'm really under geared for the higher level robots.

I don't know about you but I explore a lot of random areas and come across things. Its not a brand new bow or armor in most cases but they scatter quite a few datapoints, random loot chests, and so forth all over the place. If anything I think this game succeeds for me because I'm exploring just to explore in many cases whether its to see where a random trail might go or to try and get to a higher position to take in the glorious view. Most open world games kind of require a weapon to be at the end because the actual exploration is rarely so interesting to warrant trekking off the beaten path.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do what I do, leave collectibles and huntings for the post game and only complete side quest and errands.

yeah, as soon as I got back to doing a side quest, it was great again. Also, fuck you
Jun
you piece of shit.

Which one?

its nearby where you meet Nil in Devil's Rest, where you find your first Tallneck. I actually went up on the Tallneck again and he doesnt go anyware near the Vantage for me to jump off of so there goes that idea.

Yeah, the gear and loot is scaled back compared to other contemporaries for sure (and I'm a little pissed that I can't get hold of the Nora Lookout Armour because I didn't pre-order). On the one hand, I do agree that material rewards are a little on the slim side and having handed in a few collectibles now to the merchants in Meridian I've been a little underwhelmed by the returns.

That said, it's not detracted for me. Nioh was way too far in the other direction and drove me round the bend and while this is perhaps a little undercooked, it's meant that I can hunt around and level up doing side quests without ever feeling truly OP. I think a mix and match element to the outfits (boots, hat, gloves, chest) would have mixed things up nicely.
Nioh fell into the same trap just in a different way. Neither game produces loot particularly well but at least in Nioh you find some loot that helps you along the way.

The lore expands a lot once you leave the sacred lands. That place is for you to get a hang on the game systems.
You have a pretty important cave in there aside the one you mentioned tho.

Thanks for the input. I will keep pushing through the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom