• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say just go in blind. If you're a stickler for trophies there's none that's missable (as is any content) so just enjoy it. It's such a rewarding game to play.

Change the HUD options to dynamic. Don't be afraid to mess around with the difficulty (no trophies associated with them).

PLay this game like a tourist, take lots of pics.

I don't care for trophies.

I'm playing on the Pro 1080p tv though. Should I favor Resolution or Performance guys?

Yes shall play in blind I suppose. Thanks for the quick tips guys.

mike6467

I don't have a problem with the loot system. The crafting system is really dampening my feelings for the game. I absolutely love the combat but I'm sick of running out of ammo and finding out I don't have one of the components. I would've preferred ammo drops or timed ammo restocks without having to run around pressing triangle 10 times per minute.

I've also been sticking to the main story for the most part, the Witcher esque
"follow your focus"
side quests just aren't doing it for me, and I'm not sure I get the high praise the exploration is getting. It's an open world game, and there's icons on the map you can go find. What separates this from other open world games that have been released recently?

With that said I'm still glad I bought the game and I'm enjoying it. The combat is worth the price of admission and I'm having a blast when I have a full inventory and I'm enjoying the main story. Just a few things that are really getting to me.

ElfArmy177

Its not rewarding how? I'm just curious because taking on the robos, especially the larger tougher ones and actually coming out ahead is one of the more rewarding gameplay experiences I've had in the last couple years. I had a battle with 4 stalkers today and it was nearly 10 minutes long and my palms were sweaty and heart racing by the time I finally one without any health potions and an empty medicine pouch and a much depleted stock of ammo.

I find dark souls combat rewarding. This is just bullshit unless you can get better gear out of luck. There is a difference between difficulty that's fair and unfair, and this walks a very fine line. Animations are so laughable it's ridiculous, especially giant head aloy as a child in the beginning.

Combat can be great sometimes and utter bullshit the next. Enemies are easy as hell if you have better weapons, which takes any skill away from the game and forces you to grind for gear instead. I dunno, not a horrible game but definitely not a 9 or a 10. I think the graphics blinded people from flaws in the game..

I don't have a problem with the loot system. The crafting system is really dampening my feelings for the game. I absolutely love the combat but I'm sick of running out of ammo and finding out I don't have one of the components. I would've preferred ammo drops or timed ammo restocks without having to run around pressing triangle 10 times per minute.

"follow your focus"
side quests just aren't doing it for me, and I'm not sure I get the high praise the exploration is getting. It's an open world game, and there's icons on the map you can go find. What separates this from other open world games that have been released recently?

With that said I'm still glad I bought the game and I'm enjoying it. The combat is worth the price of admission and I'm having a blast when I have a full inventory and I'm enjoying the main story. Just a few things that are really getting to me.

You can turn off most of that stuff and look for tracks on the ground.

"follow your focus"

It's beautiful to look at, and the combat isn't shit.

I find dark souls combat rewarding. This is just bullshit unless you can get better gear out of luck. There is a difference between difficulty that's fair and unfair, and this walks a very fine line. Animations are so laughable it's ridiculous, especially giant head aloy as a child in the beginning.

Combat can be great sometimes and utter bullshit the next. Enemies are easy as hell if you have better weapons, which takes any skill away from the game and forces you to grind for gear instead. I dunno, not a horrible game but definitely not a 9 or a 10. I think the graphics blinded people from flaws in the game..

What difficulty are you playing on? Are you using DLC gear? I've yet to find any encounter "unfair," and I've gotten my ass handed to me many times now while out exploring.

Tigress

Text files that are randomly placed around the world aren't particularly what I look for in a game. Like I said, I am fairly early in the game but there have been few meaningful interactions after the Proving and its wearing on me a bit.

I will quit posting about this topic for now though as I dont want to shit the thread up and have already stated my opinion. I will bring the topic back up once I complete it with my final thoughts.

Text files that tell me about the world (and history) are my favorite type of loot. A lot better than a bow that makes things a little easier. I mean a big reason I love post apocalypse games is finding tidbits that slowly unravel what happened. It's why vaults are so fun in fallout (cept 4 which had disappointing vaults. They either had no story or just told you it all in one go. I like being teased with tidbits as I delve deeper. But really a big appeal of Bethesda fallouts to me is the side stories about the world told through terminals and notes).

And I like that you really can't get overpowered in the game. It gets easier cause you get more skilled and you get more experience in how to abuse weaknesses with what you have. I love RPGs but I do hate that most RPGs get ridiculously easy when you are high level. To the point that you die cause of carelessness cause you're no longer trying.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I didn't upgrade my weapons or armor until I was well outside of the starting area and was taking on the larger machines with basic weapons and ammo and doing fine. This is one of those games where you don't need better gear to advance and can still do incredibly well at low levels without being decked out in the best loot against some very intimating odds and tough enemies. A big reason for this is because of how well the game controls and intuitive everything is. Your skill and learning the systems is the most important aspect to advancing. I just don't feel you at all on this at all.

Edit: To put it a more succinct way this is quite possibly one of the best combat systems I've touched in an open world game with only Dragon's Dogma giving it a run for its money

I think for me the exploration is rewarding in a different way. For example, I was just messing around and found a large enemy I'd never seen before (Nora area spoilers)
a Fire Bellowback
. So I took my time with it, studied it, and fought it on my own terms just to get a feel for the enemy and how to take it down.

Then later I ran into the same enemy in not one, but two quests under much more hectic conditions. But because I'd explored around and already had a feel for taking the guy down, I didn't have nearly as much trouble as if I'd suddenly found myself fighting a new enemy while in a scenario where other enemies were in my face and I couldn't take it slow and thoughtfully.

I love that this game is the antithesis of exploration must equal loot. It makes exploration rewarding (to me at least) without having to have a collectible check mark at the end of a mountain path or a weapon chest that's slightly better or worse than the weapon I have and probably won't ever use. I love that as soon as I left the Embrace I could buy any weapon I wanted to try out. I love this game.
Well said.
Anyway does anyone feel like this game's combat feel like dead space in the sense that you have to take out their parts to do more damage or debilitate them?

Can't say I agree with the loot cirticisms. If Horizon 2 features gear scattered around whose purpose to to inflate meaningless numbers, I'll consider it a MASSIVE step back game design wise.
That is certainly not my concern. Nioh did this and it's a problem with that game. There can be sensible loot systems built...

What?

Are we even playing the same game? This is one of the few RPGs where skill largely takes precedence over gear stats.

Sounds like a case of git gud to me.

Tigress

So far I've found the combat fair and when I'm finding it impossible it is cause I need to change up tactics. And figure out weak points as well (glint hawks are easy when you know where to shoot). That includes wearing the right gear (that is very accessable. Like the armor that is good against lightening for the storm bird which is easy to find cause any merchant nearby where you first encounter it sells one). And having the right potions (ingredients are not hard to find if you pick along the way. Didn't even have to find the stuff I needed as I already had it on me).

And good use of timing when to dodge. Dodge at the wrong time and you'll be fucked. And when that is changes by monster. If you learn when and where to dodge for a monster you can just wheedle it down even with low armor/weapons. Not that I'm great with it but the game does give you clues (you are given a chance to predict what the machine will do next) that you need to learn to pick up on. Like eyes flaring before they do some sort of rush attack.

ElfArmy177

I didn't upgrade my weapons or armor until I was well outside of the starting area and was taking on the larger machines with basic weapons and ammo and doing fine. This is one of those games where you don't need better gear to advance and can still do incredibly well at low levels without being decked out in the best loot against some very intimating odds and tough enemies. A big reason for this is because of how well the game controls and intuitive everything is. I just don't feel you at all on this.

Completely disagree with you.

I am in love with this game's combat system. I love the rock-paper-scissor elemental system that forces you to frequently switch up weapons and tactics. The game also actively encourages you to experiment with different loadouts by giving you easy experience for each weapon tutorial and limiting your active wheel to four.

Makes me always plan and scout before jumping into a skirmish vs steamrolling everything with one OP weapon as in many RPGs.
Yes, the combat, especially the trip wires and rope casters are amazing. The different ways to take down large dinos and the necessity to use your wits really make this game stand out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

the game doesn't rely on having certain gear. Although by the time you get further from home base and get to the larger beasts you're likely to have better gear/mods naturally.

You could (probably?) beat most enemies to death with a teaspoon if you were patient and good enough. Just like in Dark Souls. Many times I died was because I was impatient and wanted to get one more big hit in, and I got punished for it - just like Dark Souls.

That is certainly not my concern. Nioh did this and it's a problem with that game. There can be sensible loot systems built...

Niohs loot system sucks, yea.

I just personally don't care for loot much in games anymore. I'm the Souls player who plays all of Bloodborne or a Souls title with one weapon and armor set.

Numbered stat increases aren't my thing at all. In Horizon, I'd love it even more if they replaced the numbered upgrades with something else entirely in the sequel.

Kaiken

Banned
Trials aren't bad. Other then the first trial you run into it took me an hour and a half to finish the rest. Blazing through most and maybe a few taking two or three tries. They were actually a lot of fun but I'm beyond a master hunter now with not too much giving me trouble. Should maybe raise the difficulty for the rest of the game.

ElfArmy177

What?

Are we even playing the same game? This is one of the few RPGs where skill largely takes precedence over gear stats.

OK. Look lol I've been playing games a long time... If I can beat dark souls no issues there is no reason I couldn't play this with the required skill. If I have to put 40 arrows into an enemies "weak point" then it's gear stats over skills.

BillyJack

Banned

I'm only about 15 hours in but haven't experienced anything your talking about. Does it become a grind fest later on?(I hate grinding and refuse to do it) Which is partly why I really dislike WC3 Grrrr. So far though the combat has been amazing for me. Definitely the best of any open world game by far and I've gotten my ass handed to me but never to the point where I felt like it was out of my abilities to win.

LogicStep

What?

I agree and is part of what I love about this game. Usually in games I pick one or two mechanics and stick to those through the whole game. But here I find myself using all my weapons and tools when fighting. Makes things much more fun and you feel like a badass. You always have some tools at your disposal to tackle the challenges presented to you.

HStallion

Completely disagree with you.

That's fine but I'd argue that this is probably one of the best playing and controlling open world games ever. It easily outdoes a lot of its competitors and contemporaries with ease and only a game like Dragon's Dogma matches it in my opinion. The combat is probably the biggest stand out of Horizon next to the stunning graphics and performance.

OK. Look lol I've been playing games a long time... If I can beat dark souls no issues there is no reason I couldn't play this with the required skill. If I have to put 40 arrows into an enemies "weak point" then it's gear stats over skills.

You shouldn't need 40 arrows at all even if you never hit a single weak point on an enemy. Hell you shouldn't need 40 arrows to take out most groups of regular enemies.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPERBOLE TRAIN PULLING INTO STATION ONE !!!!

It sounds like you need to check your notebook and use their weaknesses against them instead of just beating your head against a wall until you have some break through moment. This is not Dark Souls.

If you have to put 40 arrows into an enemy, maybe you need to learn how to aim and utilize all the options available to you.

I'm on very hard and can take down most enemies in 20-30 seconds and that's been the case the entire game.

Tigress

Dude. I suck at games. I am playing this on hard. It isn't unfair. But it can be unforgiving. And yes, you need to learn weak points because if they are being bullet sponges you aren't aiming for them. Though some have hard to hit weak spots.

The only thing that I would say is "unfair" is when an enemy pins you in a corner and you can't do anything because of the collision.

BillyJack

Banned

40 arrows 0_o is that hyperbole?
I haven't fought anything that has required 40 fricken arrows over and over.

black070

Lol, you're definitely not hitting the "weak point" if it's taking 40 arrows.

This definitely seems like a case of not using elemental weaknesses. I think you'll really enjoy the combat if you study an enemies weakness and use it against them.

ElfArmy177

I'm only about 15 hours in but haven't experienced anything your talking about. Does it become a grind fest later on?(I hate grinding and refuse to do it) Which is partly why I really dislike WC3 Grrrr. So far though the combat has been amazing for me. Definitely the best of any open world game by far and I've gotten my ass handed to me but never to the point where I felt like it was out of my abilities to win.

No I don't think it's a grind fest. It's just.. odd. It's possible it's just so different than other games I'm having issues with it. It really depends on the area too. I can't kill the hawks if my life depended on it but some of the other creatures I can take down. I'm trying to adjust my play style, it's also possible I am impatient and don't want to think before I start shooting things.. so. Don't let my irritation sour your view of the game

HStallion

No I don't think it's a grind fest. It's just.. odd. It's possible it's just so different than other games I'm having issues with it. It really depends on the area too. I can't kill the hawks if my life depended on it but some of the other creatures I can take down. I'm trying to adjust my play style, it's also possible I am impatient and don't want to think before I start shooting things.. so. Don't let my irritation sour your view of the game

If you can get Tear arrows they make a lot of encounters much easier though they are very expensive or take a lot of crafting supplies.

It's okay mate, just admit you don't know how to play this game, we'll help you out.

Its not rewarding how? I'm just curious because taking on the robos, especially the larger tougher ones and actually coming out ahead is one of the more rewarding gameplay experiences I've had in the last couple years. I had a battle with 4 stalkers today and it was nearly 10 minutes long and my palms were sweaty and heart racing by the time I finally one without any health potions and an empty medicine pouch and a much depleted stock of ammo.

Yea I was in the desert area trying to get passed ag roup of Shell-Walkers, who chased me into Ravagers, who chased me into Longhorns, who chased me into Snapmaws, who I couldn't kill because I was out of ammo and health, having just fought the Thunderjaw and 3 Stalkers. I was pretty much fighting them all simultaneously.

No health, no potions, half of my ammo is depleted and two of my weapons are Uncommon.

Roped them all down one by one, chipped off their compotents, overwrote some other guys and brought them into battle to act as decoys.

Did I mention I had no health? On higher difficulties, you pretty much die if you take 2 hits.

All of this happened in the span of 30 minutes. This game is nothing if not rewarding.

You can reliably take down Glinthawks with double or triple notched fire arrows as it sends them hurtling to the ground where you can follow it up with a critical strike.

mike6467

I did better once I started treating this game like I treated MGS V. You're trying to scout a situation silently, come up with a strategy, then execute it. It's incredibly rewarding in my experience.

This is one reason the crafting system sucks so much. The game is such that I want to use all the tools, and try different things. I don't understand what benefit is added by having to constantly harvest stuff, and concern myself with what I have on hand to make sure I can use all my weapons. If I had the ability, I would use a trainer and give myself unlimited ammo, I don't think the game would be worse for it at all.

ElfArmy177

Maybe I'm using the wrong arrows then I dunno. The giant elephant looking things with the green canisters filled with fluid on their back that shoot fire... I just counted 15 before I died and I was not half way. So... I dunno

Takes skills and gear stats, like Dark Souls.

Hell, if you chose not to upgrade weapons in Dark Souls and chip away at an enemy, well...

Maybe I'm using the wrong arrows then I dunno. The giant elephant looking things with the green canisters filled with fluid on their back that shoot fire... I just counted 15 before I died and I was not half way. So... I dunno

...then you are definitely playing the game wrong. Bellowbacks are hard at first, but when you understand bow they operate, they are the easiest out of all the large mechs in the game.

HStallion

Yea I was in the desert area trying to get passed ag roup of Shell-Walkers, who chased me into Ravagers, who chased me into Longhorns, who chased me into Snapmaws, who I couldn't kill because I was out of ammo and health, having just fought the Thunderjaw and 3 Stalkers. I was pretty much fighting them all simultaneously.

No health, no potions, half of my ammo is depleted and two of my weapons are Uncommon.

Roped them all down one by one, chipped off their compotents, overwrote some other guys and brought them into battle to act as decoys.

Did I mention I had no health?

All of this happened in the span of 30 minutes. This game is nothing if not rewarding.

Yeah that Stalker battle was the high light of the game so far but I'm still early in as far as I can tell. Just started doing quests in and around
Meridian
and stumbled across a Stalker area and out of nowhere I'm getting attacked from all directions.

Ricker

This what I was saying earlier though...Corrupters,scanning says Body weak to fire,I hit it with a fire arrow from a purple bow and I do 4 damage...? sometimes it just doesnt work...another example,I do the tutorial for my new purple bow,knock off 10 plates from mechanics...I hit a Strider on his canister plate and it works,it counts as a knocked off plate but on the Corruptors,I hit the plates during all the fight with the same bow and it never took them down...what am I missing here...?

BillyJack

Banned

As a fellow die hard Kings Field fan(Which means your in your 30's right ;) don't get stuck in old patterns hahaha

ElfArmy177

You can reliably take down Glinthawks with double or triple notched fire arrows as it sends them hurtling to the ground where you can follow it up with a critical strike.

I went the more stealth route and traps with my skills so maybe I screwed myself out of having extra power

Yeah that Stalker battle was the high light of the game so far but I'm still early in as far as I can tell. Just started doing quests in and around
Meridian
and stumbled across a Stalker area and out of nowhere I'm getting attacked from all directions.

The Stalker is definitely my favorite enemy to fight. The bigger ones get annoying when it comes to that collision thing but the Stalker has so many tricks up its sleeve that it feels like more of a boss battle.

I'm only 30% in and I can't imagine the game ever boring me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom