• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But triple shotting a frozen enemy with precision arrows gives you a disgusting amount of damage.

But triple firing and setting an enemy on fire lets you watch their health drain rapidly, you don't even have to do anything after that.

Zackat

I wish I could get the noise that the game makes when you pick up a healing herb. I would use that for a text notification. In 2017.

Stormbird
is so much better than thunderjaw. I dont think there is any way to cheese them. Just good old bow and arrows.

Yeah, it's my favorite machine. Very well balanced and tough with barely any weakness.

Thunderjaw in comparison is such a pushover. GG really need to buff them, give them more resilience or resistance.

Kaizer

Banned
Doing this Hunting Ground trial to kill enemies while frozen, is it better to use the freeze bombs or freeze arrows? I haven't used the elemental bow at all thus far.

Doing this Hunting Ground trial to kill enemies while frozen, is it better to use the freeze bombs or freeze arrows? I haven't used the elemental bow at all thus far.

Have you learned the arrow stacking skill? If so, just use the freeze arrows.

Or hit the canister, I think it's prone to freeze and will freeze the machine when hit.

I wish I could get the noise that the game makes when you pick up a healing herb. I would use that for a text notification. In 2017.

A few days ago GG on their twitter posted a link to a "fan kit" that has a bunch of stuff in it, including some random .wav files, a few of which are the Focus activating and deactivating, which I just set earlier today as my text notifications. In 2017.

B.O.O.M

Finally found some free time today and made it to Meridian...and wow. What a beautiful place this is. And holy shit met my first thunderjaw...i noped the fk out. Not ready for that

I think I've played about 20 hours of the game so far.

It is really one of the best games I have played.

Quick thoughts:

I Like:

I feel like a bad ass when I play, but know I can die easily if I fuck up. Right from the get go I felt like a capable hunter. Feeling of power is awesome; respecting the power of the machine enemies is awesome.

Controls are tight as hell. Fighting multiple enemies is great. This game does a great job of allowing you to avoid attacks and manage fights even if enemies are off screen. Ratchet and Clank on PS4 also does a great job of this and I felt it was one of the strongest points of that game.

I LOVE the juxtaposition of the tribal culture and the extinct "modern" culture. GG did a great job of phrasing the game. I love that items are listed and talked about as the tribe understands them. I love that as a player, I feel like I have inside information that the tribes don't have about the modern aspects of the game. It's fun.

I am ENGAGED in the world. I keep thinking how awesome it is that the modern culture has been wiped out by the machines despite having modern weaponry available and that here I am with sticks and stones taking them out. They weren't built for those tactics and I love it.

Crafting is fast and resources available. QOL stuff. It's great. Considering crafting on the fly is a thing, they did a good job of it.

Things that I don't like (that are far from game breaking) and may be specific to me being tarded:

Some of the quest dialogue is disjointed. I'm not going to type out a long example here, but there are some awkward things about the dialogue system.

Items and power rating is vague. I used the carja bow I pretty much started with up until I was level 20s or so....just switching out upgrades. Maybe speaks to skill in combat focus rather than itemization focus, which is fine, but the game is not clear on some of this stuff.

Some pretty dumb AI that you can cheese if you're patient. This isn't necessarily a problem for me, but some people might find it annoying. I play largely stealth, so I'm not sure sometime is I am cheesing the game or using a legit strategy. Example is in the couldrons. The big enemies are easily cheesable if you find the little triangular wall thing in there.

AI attack zones. You can easily kite ai to the edge of an attack zone and lure them back and forth and whittle them down. Helpful if you are low level and want to tak out bigger enemies for resources.

Human AI is fucking balls straight up. Even though I love sneaking through entire bandit camps and canoing enemies with arrows, it gets a bit easy.

That is it. One of the best games this gen and ranks up there with games like The Last Of Us as far as games that feel really fresh to me (been gaming for the better part of 30 years, so I'm not easily impressed anymore).

I fucking love it/10

Zackat

A few days ago GG on their twitter posted a link to a "fan kit" that has a bunch of stuff in it, including some random .wav files, a few of which are the Focus activating and deactivating, which I just set earlier today as my text notifications. In 2017.

2017 is the greatest

cyber_ninja

Could you link us to it please?

Mathieran

Banned
I had a quest force me to fight my first snapmaw...and it was really easy. They look scary so I was expecting a tough fight.

I set up an explosion trap and started shooting at the canisters from a distance. I took em out and they exploded and took out most of its health. Then it hit my trap and that did the job. Didn't even hit me. I felt like a badass though.

shiba5

This needs to happen for real.

A8ZTee3.jpg

I'm starting to use hardpoint arrows more than precision ones. I put on some damage mods and I feel as if my overall DPS output as increased significantly. Precision is just too slow to notch and fire. Triple notch hardpoint arrows with extended focus and damage mods just do crazy work.

I'm starting to use hardpoint arrows more than precision ones. I put on some damage mods and I feel as if my overall DPS output as increased significantly. Precision is just too slow to notch and fire. Triple notch hardpoint arrows with extended focus and damage mods just do crazy work.

Been using them extensively since I got access to them. Speed, damage and tear: all in one.

Sharpshot bow was useful early on but I only use it for tearblast arrows now.

"Deep Secrets of the Earth"
is probably my favorite mission so far. Lots of good lore.

Wish there was less or preferably no human combat In it though. There is just too much human combat in the main quest. It's so bad.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I figured out how to cheese the Stalker Hunting Grounds trial. If you clear the area out before you take the quest up and take note of where the two two Stalkers are hanging out you can drop a lot of traps there. The traps will remain after you climb up and start the trial and the enemies respawn. You can do a ton of damage or if you're lucky and you drop enough in the right spots you can sometimes kill one outright.

zulux21

Doubt it. The game seems to be selling extremely well and is having stock issues on sites like Amazon.

yup... can't see much reason to drop the price when they can't keep it in stock as is.

it makes me sort of tempted to complete my copy and sell it... but then I don't have a case for the game as I wouldn't want to get rid of my steelbook, and I would eventually want it back.

Is there anyway to turn off the plants and pickup indicators during gameplay? Im not seeing it in the HUD options.

Why would you want to turn them off?

Playing on hard, I found myself constantly picking them up. I haven't even use a mount since ages ago solely due to this reason.

Anyone know where to find Ravagers? I need a piece to purchase one of the bows at Meridian.

I think there's a ravager site just a bit north from Meridian.

But if you're looking for its heart, don't bother. Just buy it from one of the merchants in the city.

geomon

I love this game so much.

Level 24, walk into a bandit camp, feeling like a badass and get fucking destroyed within a minute. Figure nah, it's a fluke. Walk right back in, get wrecked again. Next reload, stealth killed everyone with arrow headshots.

vypek

I think I will need to play a second playthrough to see some different options in missions. A couple of them have me a choice and I want to explore those

I actually dislike the "green = night time" thing. There are some areas in the desert where it's not green, but green seems to be the default night time. It's apparently a trend in open world games to do this and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's supposed to be an Aurora Borealis?

Quonny

Lighting/time of day is really weird in this. It'll be dusk, everything pretty and red, then I'll open the map for quite literally 2 seconds, close it, and it'll be full on night time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom