• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

I just totally cheesed the double Rockbreaker corruptor zone. Climb on to a rock formation high enough to be totally out of reach and then sink about 50 amped up fire arrows into each one. You may catch a rock to the dome every once in a while, but it's nothing a health pack can't fix. Fuck you one hit kill melee attacks. Double purple mods off each one mmm mmm.

I just totally cheesed the double Rockbreaker corruptor zone. Climb on to a rock formation high enough to be totally out of reach and then sink about 50 amped up fire arrows into each one. You may catch a rock to the dome every once in a while, but it's nothing a health pack can't fix. Fuck you one hit kill melee attacks. Double purple mods off each one mmm mmm.

I really hope that they resolve some of the cheesing strategies in the future.

I would like the Horizon series to feature multiplayer at some point, and this just won't do. The issue is that they're not inaccessible either. Even ignoring the less accessible ones like getting to a location out of their reach, it's very easy to just walk out of range of most enemies because there's only so far they can go.

If you go too far, many enemies just sort of glitch out and keep trying to walk back to the region they're supposed to be 'patrolling'. It makes the fight very underwhelming.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's saying I have max inventory on wood when I try to pick it up, but I have 0. What do?

You maxed out your overall inventory. You can only have so many stacks of items. Some items stack to 255 per stack, (like wood) some only 1.
There's just room in some of the stacks of other items for more stuff. A new item type always requires a new stack, which is why you can't collect any.

hydruxo

Lighting/time of day is really weird in this. It'll be dusk, everything pretty and red, then I'll open the map for quite literally 2 seconds, close it, and it'll be full on night time.

Yeah I'm wondering if it's glitched. I find it hard to believe they meant for it to go from night to day so quickly. The transition needs to be longer.

The thrill

17097922_10212352609199440_5058347298042960622_o_zpsjijyzbgc.jpg

You maxed out your overall inventory. You can only have so many stacks of items. Some items stack to 255 per stack, (like wood) some only 1. There's just room in some of the stacks of other items for more stuff.

Okay, thanks. I see now. I didn't realize the inventory worked like that. I was expecting Far Cry where you can store x of each item base.

shiba5

I stood across the river where the Snapmaws are and sent them in to attack. The Rockbreakers won't cross the river so I just had to dodge the rocks they throw. The Snapmaws will cross the river and freeze them. Very fun to watch.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Okay, thanks. I see now. I didn't realize the inventory worked like that. I was expecting Far Cry where you can store x of each item base.

The upper limit of how much you can have of one item is stack limit times inventory size. It's possible to have like 17,000 of that item, in theory.

TTG

I would like the Horizon series to feature multiplayer at some point, and this just won't do. The issue is that they're not inaccessible either. Even ignoring the less accessible ones like getting to a location out of their reach, it's very easy to just walk out of range of most enemies because there's only so far they can go.

If you go too far, many enemies just sort of glitch out and keep trying to walk back to the region they're supposed to be 'patrolling'. It makes the fight very underwhelming.

They were totally in range, just out of melee range. My precision bow now does 108 straight damage looooool.

Protip: after sinking about 100 arrows in that one encounter, if you want to do a lot of damage quickly and your target is stationary only pull back the string about half way on the hunter bow before letting her fly. Damage on each shot is the same, but obviously you're landing a lot more frequently.

benzy

Yeah I'm wondering if it's glitched. I find it hard to believe they meant for it to go from night to day so quickly. The transition needs to be longer.

I don't think it's glitched. Might have to do with how they're doing their lighting system, which consistently looks great pretty and it's difficult to find a bad looking time of day unlike many games with dynamic time change. Going from sunny to stormy rain is pretty jarring and sudden too. Flicking between two certain time points In photo mode shows almost two different lighting presets between the transition from dusk and night, the colors completely change like an on and off switch.

Snapmaws are pretty easy to take out for me now but man that first time I ran into them, I put down a shock wire and he lunged right over that shit towards me with his mouth open and I'm pretty sure I almost pissed my pants.

I just blow up their canisters with fire arrows, some melee or precission arrows to support the fire and done.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The night lighting and atmosphere in the moonlight is easily my favorite in any game. It is phenomenal and looks absolutely gorgeous with the lush vegetation and pristine IQ on the Pro. Just jaw dropping gorgeous at times to walk/ride around and soak it all in.

Sony needs to give them a big ass budget and at least 4+ years for Horizon 2 cause it'll be worth it. Even though it probably won't take as long this time since most of the engine work seems to be finished(?) I can't wait for a second one, seriously.

bunkitz

Reached the second Tallneck and beat my first Thunderjaw. Haven't reached
Meridian
yet. Level 27 or so. Is that too high...?

Fighting a Thunderjaw was insane, though. So damn satisfying! Scrambling for that Disc Launcher right below it was stressful...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

So...dont do that? Its like complaining that you can shoot certain bosses forever with arrows from a safe location in Souls games. You dont have to do it there and you dont have to do it here either.

This isnt even a defense force type of reply, as Im not enamored with it as most are, but people that break games and then complain about breaking games is always weird to me.

TAJ

I very much doubt they will. Like I said earlier there's dialogue of Aloy talking to herself (but really the player) and telling you how to cheese... not only telling you how to cheese but actually suggesting that you do it.

Gorillaz

Thanks for the help on the quarry stuff. Just got to the gates of
Meridan.

One of the few times I was craving a 4k/PS4 Pro. How far story wise am I? half?

Every now and then I hear a little noise like a whistle immediately followed by what sounds like a brief distant howl. In certain areas it seems to repeat. I dont see wildlife around.

What does this mean?

With a sequel, I hope they build upon what makes the first one great. Please don't add meaningless stats. I don't care for armor that gives me so and so defense. I'd rather not even have that as it's currently implemented.

I'd much prefer they iterate on the playstyle model they have currently. Make outfits give you unique abilities (as opposed to stats). Replace mods with smaller unique abilities as well. Just go all out on creating an assortment of unique ways by which to take down robots.

I'd love it if outfits and mods gave you advantages like extra ammo, being able to notch more arrows and so on in the sequel than, "WOW this armor gives me +10 to this stat."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks for the help on the quarry stuff. Just got to the gates of
Meridan.

One of the few times I was craving a 4k/PS4 Pro. How far story wise am I? half?

Apparently about 30% since thats where I'm at aswell.

mokeyjoe

That's pretty much my strategy with any Rockbreaker encounter. There's no point getting close to them. Run away, take cover, and dismantle them from afar.

vypek

Tried shooting arrows from the perch of a hunting trial. Aloy wouldn't let me. Also one of the proctors of the trials I ran into is an ass. Wanted to kick his ass

With a sequel, I hope they build upon what makes the first one great. Please don't add meaningless stats. I don't care for armor that gives me so and so defense. I'd rather not even have that as it's currently implemented.

I'd much prefer they iterate on the playstyle model they have currently. Make outfits give you unique abilities (as opposed to stats). Replace mods with smaller unique abilities as well. Just go all out on creating an assortment of unique ways by which to take down robots.

I'd love it if outfits and mods gave you advantages like extra ammo, being able to notch more arrows and so on in the sequel than, "WOW this armor gives me +10 to this stat."
And let us use Sawtooths and flying machines as mounts. I wanted to ride a stormbird.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How big is the game's map compared to other open worlds (like Witcher 3 or even Breath of the Wild)?

Yup this

How big is the game's map compared to other open worlds (like Witcher 3 or even Breath of the Wild)?

It's obviously hard to measure scale of a world in a game since movement speed and actual distance scale can be so all over the place but going off of feel alone, I would say that Horizon's world feels a like the Velen/Novigrad map with White Orchard on there too.

But I am not 100% sure. I spent so much time in Witcher 3's world that the size of it eventually sort of dissipated to me.

Lighting/time of day is really weird in this. It'll be dusk, everything pretty and red, then I'll open the map for quite literally 2 seconds, close it, and it'll be full on night time.

yup i wish it was more gradual. the lighting and weather is all pretty well done, but the clock that triggers it all is very strange.

rezn0r

It's saying I have max inventory on wood when I try to pick it up, but I have 0. What do?

First of all, go to the (touch-pad menu) > Crafting > Carry Capacity > ***complete all of these upgrades*** - it'll improve how you're playing the game and also help you out later. Yeah I'm some guy on a forum, at least this time trust some guy on a forum. It will take awhile to hunt/find all of the parts, but every chance you get to upgrade in that menu, upgrade.

Second, go to a vendor, if you don't know where one is or can't find one head to a town/camp/whatever has people in it - look on your compass for a "horns sign" and talk to them. Hit R2 so your'e on "sell" and go through the menus and sell everything you don't need. WHICH IS: On the "resources" screen sell anything that says something close to, but ONLY "sell for shards". Things that say that and other things are useful for trading in to other merchants. Basically, you keep conquering the map and then selling stuff that only says "to sell" - lots of ancient debris & taking out forts will net you these things, and it'll be worth a lot of money.

On the "modifications" screen, unless you're having a great time plugging in mods to low level armor, sell every single green piece. They will never be worth saving.
note: Every single time you're on this screen. Sell every green piece, trust me.

Between the last two things you'll have a ton of money the entire time. Also the first chance you get to buy the purple item that lets you fast travel, buy that and then sell all fast travel packs - **every single time you're at a merchant**

Make it a point to be constantly selling things, and you'll always have inventory space & money. PS - always sell stacks of plants/wood/materials when you have two full stacks of them.

Ok I'm passing out, night

VanWinkle

I haven't even explored more than maybe 20% of BOTW's world so it's hard to say, but I would guess it's probably 1/4th to 1/3rd of the size of BOTW's map. It all feels so dense though because there's just SO MUCH detail in it. I would like a bigger map in the sequel just because it's so beautiful and I want to explore more, but I haven't ever felt like "man, I wish this was bigger" while playing. It feels like a big world, helped at least some by it's diverse locations.

I haven't played Witcher 3 so I couldn't tell you there, but I know it's definitely smaller than W3's.

Every now and then I hear a little noise like a whistle immediately followed by what sounds like a brief distant howl. In certain areas it seems to repeat. I dont see wildlife around.

What does this mean?

I think it's the sound of the watchers. I only hear it when they're around.

It's rather small compared to the bigger open world games, but it's pretty diverse and detailed.

There are enemies and threats everywhere so traversing in the world is so much slower compared to the others.

the photo mode is such a simple thing that gives this game a deceptive amount of replay value. i think i've spent 20% of my playtime in it.

i hope they can patch in some additional features. the ability to detatch the camera from aloy or would be so helpful.

Rhaknar

You'll see that handsome sociopath again, no worries.

Hooray.

No but seriously tho dude is fucked up right? :3 He's still a bro tho.

Im actually really enjoying all the bros you run into that. That
Meridian
bro is a bro. That
guard captain bro shortly before reaching Meridian
was also a bro.

Just some friendly ass characters which is a nice change from most games where everyone is a cunt.

zma1013

Why would you want to turn them off?

Playing on hard, I found myself constantly picking them up. I haven't even use a mount since ages ago solely due to this reason.

I want to see what it's like to play without icons littering the ground. It's odd you can turn off most other things but not this.

I want to see what it's like to play without icons littering the ground. It's odd you can turn off most other things but not this.

Yea, it's strange. Especially as the pickups are fairly easy to identify as well visually, so it probably wouldn't negatively impact the gameplay much.

My biggest complaint probably. Most of them are just unnecessary filler.
I posted the same complaint here yesterday. My interest was starting to dip with all these samey side quests. Got the advice to push through with the main quest because things will heat up soon. Boy am I glad I followed through with that, the main quest really starts to pick up after you got to Meridian, I think I'll just have to pace myself better with a few side quests in between.

the photo mode is such a simple thing that gives this game a deceptive amount of replay value. i think i've spent 20% of my playtime in it.

i hope they can patch in some additional features. the ability to detatch the camera from aloy or would be so helpful.
IKR. I can easily spend an hour taking just one photo. Do you know there is an option to hide Aloy in Photo mode? That's as close to "detaching" the camera as we can get. I guess the technology just can't allow the player to detach the camera and go anywhere they want to, otherwise the engine would have to render everything in the world, rather than just the objects within your proximity.

it'd be cool to have a 'cinematic' experience without the hud on at all.

IKR. I can easily spend an hour taking just one photo. Do you know there is an option to hide Aloy in Photo mode? That's as close to "detaching" the camera as we can get. I guess the technology just can't allow the player to detach the camera and go anywhere they want to, otherwise the engine would have to render everything in the world, rather than just the objects within your proximity.

I just think we should be able to go further away from her because when you adjust the field of view to do it, it distorts the image.

Hooray.

No but seriously tho dude is fucked up right? :3 He's still a bro tho.

Im actually really enjoying all the bros you run into that. That
Meridian
bro is a bro. That
guard captain bro shortly before reaching Meridian
was also a bro.

Just some friendly ass characters which is a nice change from most games where everyone is a cunt.
Yeah the NPCs in the game have really grown on me. From Varl's sister (who was so wonderfully voice acted and written that I expected her to be a major player), to Varl, to Nil, Avad, the Hunting Lodge crew...

It's amazing how close Guerrilla came to The Witcher 3's level of awesome NPC characterization on their first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom