• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just totally cheesed the double Rockbreaker corruptor zone. Climb on to a rock formation high enough to be totally out of reach and then sink about 50 amped up fire arrows into each one. You may catch a rock to the dome every once in a while, but it's nothing a health pack can't fix. Fuck you one hit kill melee attacks. Double purple mods off each one mmm mmm.

I tried this but they glitched and git stuck in the rock and I couldn't kill them.

I want to see what it's like to play without icons littering the ground. It's odd you can turn off most other things but not this.

Yeah, I guess that would be neat and will add a lot to the immersion.

I've picked enough herbs I know which one is which in a glance now.

IKR. I can easily spend an hour taking just one photo. Do you know there is an option to hide Aloy in Photo mode? That's as close to "detaching" the camera as we can get. I guess the technology just can't allow the player to detach the camera and go anywhere they want to, otherwise the engine would have to render everything in the world, rather than just the objects within your proximity.

Maybe they can start with proper photomode in towns. The towns and cities are amazing, yet we can't do anything to capture them properly.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
if only we could combine Witcher 3's characters and writing with this game's combat, controls, and visuals

not to take anything away from what Guerrilla accomplished here though, going from Killzone to this in just one game is absurd

I very much doubt they will. Like I said earlier there's dialogue of Aloy talking to herself (but really the player) and telling you how to cheese... not only telling you how to cheese but actually suggesting that you do it.

She certainly doesn't talk about moving out side of their functional range so that they get confused by invisible barriers and eat arrows for 5 minutes.

I don't think they'll fix it either, it's a singleplayer game so it hardly matters but I think it will be important for the series moving forward to have more threatening and consistently performing AI. Especially, if they do decide to add multiplayer, which I anticipate they will.

if only we could combine Witcher 3's characters and writing with this game's combat, controls, and visuals

not to take anything away from what Guerrilla accomplished here though, going from Killzone to this in just one game is absurd

I really think the writing of the main narrative and Alloys own dialogue is better or at least on par with Witcher 3. The side quest leaves something to be desired when compared directly, but they're still better than say, sidequests in FFXV, Dragon Quest or even Breath of the Wild.

Yeah, that was the first pouch I fully upgraded (to 100). You'll need it!

I wish it would go bigger than 100. It honestly adds nothing to the game other than constant worrying about inventory. Hopefully they fix it in the sequel.

This is probably the most beautiful game i've ever played. It's unreal how consistently beautiful it is

bNiXvKt.png

aristotle

I tried this but they glitched and git stuck in the rock and I couldn't kill them.

I don't know why people had such issue with this corrupted zone. Since they're corrupted, regular enemies fight them. Right next to the zone is a river with several snapmaws. Just aggro them enough over by the river and the snapmaws get interested and take them on for you. Just keep pelting them with tearblast arrows to make their weak points easy to hit and stop them burrowing and occasionally dodge flying rocks. Super simple fight. One should be down completely and the other should be at least half health after the snapmaws have died.

She certainly doesn't talk about moving out side of their functional range so that they get confused by invisible barriers and eat arrows for 5 minutes.

I don't think they'll fix it either, it's a singleplayer game so it hardly matters but I think it will be important for the series moving forward to have more threatening and consistently performing AI. Especially, if they do decide to add multiplayer, which I anticipate they will.
I hope they don't do mp when they're going to do the sequel because I fear it will dampen the single player aspect unless they take a really good time to flesh out the game. Focus on improving the AI of both machines and human enemies, the writing and so on an so forth

This is probably the most beautiful game i've ever played. It's unreal how consistently beautiful it is

bNiXvKt.png
I remember the question "has game graphics surpassed Toy Story yet" used to come up from time to time. I think we can safely say it has? Just look at your photo.

Maybe it's not as big of a leap as one would think. The levels in KZ:Shadow Fall were already semi-open world, and it looked amazing as a launch title. But of course the gameplay aspect in HZD is unlike anything GG did before.

TheFatMan

If you are having problems with resources the problem probably lies with how you are hoarding shit. I know it was for me.

It's pretty simple, first you want to keep all animal bones and skins. Second, only keep blue and green machine parts if they DIRECTLY are needed to buy one of the Shadow (Purple) weapons or armors. If the part isn't needed for that, get rid of it! You really won't need it. I think I've found a single quest in the entire game that needs one of those items.

Also get rid of some of your Ridge wood. It is everywhere. You don't need 2000 in your bag, every 250 stack counts as a slot. I keep 750 and I never run out or even get close.

Just some tips, but honestly I have almost 30 machine parts in my bags that I was never going to need.

VanWinkle

I remember the question "has game graphics surpassed Toy Story yet" used to come up from time to time. I think we can safely say it has? Just look at your photo.

The game looks FAR better than Toy Story in pretty much every way besides geometry and anti-aliasing. Even that last one is mitigated pretty well considering how good the IQ is in this game.

Gradly

If you are having problems with resources the problem probably lies with how you are hoarding shit. I know it was for me.

It's pretty simple, first you want to keep all animal bones and skins. Second, only keep blue and green machine parts if they DIRECTLY are needed to buy one of the Shadow (Purple) weapons or armors. If the part isn't needed for that, get rid of it! You really won't need it. I think I've found a single quest in the entire game that needs one of those items.

Also get rid of some of your Ridge wood. It is everywhere. You don't need 2000 in your bag, every 250 stack counts as a slot. I keep 750 and I never run out or even get close.

Just some tips, but honestly I have almost 30 machine parts in my bags that I was never going to need.

It's also worth looking at the whole set of weapons and outfits in advance to know the required components/resources or to have an idea of whats required for potential gear you want to buy.

I'm actually having more trouble in managing the modifications more than resources haha

Freeman76

Far too much witcher sense stuff in this, after 200 hours of following tracks, examine, follow drag marks in a game as popular as TW3 I cant believe how much of it they put in this. Good game but I cant play for more than an hour at a time, if it wasnt for the astounding environment and visuals this game would be doing nothing new.

Why does Balahn keep asking about his men even though I completed the errand?

There's almost no impact/progression on most NPCs after their corresponding quests.

Remember that guy lying down besides the river in the first area? Pay him a visit, he'll still be there spewing the same lines.

Xeteh

40+ hours in, level 50 and I just now realized you can fast travel to settlements and hunting grounds not just campfires.

Freeman76

There's almost no impact/progression on most NPCs after their corresponding quests.

Remember that guy lying down besides the river in the first area? Pay him a visit, he'll still be there spewing the same lines.

This game gets a free pass on a lot of things people would tear other games apart for. That's GAF for you.

I hope we can post spoilers now?

HA. Started drinking, thought "eh, lets hit that 3rd machine cave"
Get wrecked by those invisible fucks before I even got to the door.

Guess thats not happening.

I just beat it and i really enjoyed it, didnt quite leave the same "oh shit" feeling witcher 3 left for me (im only comparing because they were both two highly anticipated open world rpgs) but the game was fantastic regardless, i spent so much time doing side quests and collectible hunting but once the story picked up I just had to keep on going, its legitimatley a fantastic sci-fi story, i only wish they didnt rely so much on audio logs to tell it. Fighting the machines was always a blast, the thunderjaws in particular were some fun and and intense fights. Game is stunning, playing on ps4 pro on a 4k hdr set i often found myself saying "how the hell is this running on a ps4"

This game gets a free pass on a lot of things people would tear other games apart for. That's GAF for you.
Because it does a lot of other things really well. And we talk about these issues all the time in this OT. Go ahead and try prove me wrong on this one.

They are some bugs and problems here and there, but it doesnt detracts from the package.

damn, just play a sidequest where I got into fight with Freeze Bellowback than in the middle of the fight a StormBird showed up. panicked so much and thank god I survived that encounter. and this is only lv 25 side mission. can't imagine some of the higher one.

Maybe it's a minor blemish to an otherwise great game? And no if you actually go back a few pages there are some criticism levied toward the game so no it doesn't get a free pass

I just beat it and i really enjoyed it, didnt quite leave the same "oh shit" feeling witcher 3 left for me (im only comparing because they were both two highly anticipated open world rpgs) but the game was fantastic regardless, i spent so much time doing side quests and collectible hunting but once the story picked up I just had to keep on going, its legitimatley a fantastic sci-fi story, i only wish they didnt rely so much on audio logs to tell it. Fighting the machines was always a blast, the thunderjaws in particular were some fun and and intense fights. Game is stunning, playing on ps4 pro on a 4k hdr set i often found myself saying "how the hell is this running on a ps4"

For a studio's first open world RPG, to be even put on par with Witcher 3 is a feat in itself.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So here is a very specific question, do you get enough skill points for everything just from leveling and main quests, or do you need to do those trials aswell? Because I saw that gold on the trials gave skill points but I really cant be arsed with them.

Xeteh

So here is a very specific question, do you get enough skill points for everything just from leveling and main quests, or do you need to do those trials aswell? Because I saw that gold on the trials gave skill points but I really cant be arsed with them.

Can't say for sure but I'd guess probably not, there's 15 of them total. They're worthwhile since once you get all of the stars you can turn them in for weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can't say for sure but I'd guess probably not, there's 15 of them total. They're worthwhile since once you get all of the stars you can turn them in for weapons.

Son of a bitch :(

Freeman76

Drive by shit posts that add nothing to the thread. That's GAF for you.

Its not a drive by shitpost. Ive been posting in here since release and almost finished the game. I even said if it wasnt for the amazing environment yaddayadda doesnt matter since you read a negative and get angry. I should have known better.

kitzkozan

If I just take a quick look at your post history, I could conclude it's aimed specifically at Bioware lol. Well yeah, Bioware is constantly under fire for ME:A because they don't have the talent to pull off a game with the graphical fidelity of GG (and they aren't known to be anything special regarding gameplay mechanics).

There might be a slight bias since it's a Sony exclusive and the PS4 is the enthusiasts darling right now, but remember that The Order 1886 got rip to shred as did the initial launch of Driveclub.

The writing in this game is superb. Characters may not be as fleshed out as in Witcher (that that one had 2 games and several books to flesh them out first) but the writing of the general story and especially the lore in Horizon is absolutely amazing. I liked it even better than Witcher because it's less gritty and the speech not as vulgar (all the "fucks" in the Wichter dialog seemed almost too forced for my taste).

Ferrio

Banned
Does the camera infuriate anyone else? It's way too zoomed in, so many times I'll just run into crap cause I can't see to my sides. Even worse when I'm aiming then do concentration and now there's a leaf in my view because it zooms in.

Getting more used to the combat though, I still die in 1-2 hits but the amount of stealth I'm wearing makes me almost practically invisible.

How missable are the next three if you remember? I'm coming to what I think is getting really close to the end and I only have one of the final three.

I missed 2 of them as well, but after finishing the main story I went back as that and the hunting ground missions are all I was missing for the platinum.

Xeteh

Does the camera infuriate anyone else? It's way too zoomed in, so many times I'll just run into crap cause I can't see to my sides. Even worse when I'm aiming then do concentration and now there's a leaf in my view because it zooms in.

Getting more used to the combat though, I still die in 1-2 hits but the amount of stealth I'm wearing makes me almost practically invisible.

The leaf thing is really the only thing that irks me in regard to the camera, I don't mind how close it is at all.

I missed 2 of them as well, but after finishing the main story I went back as that and the hunting ground missions are all I was missing for the platinum.

Damn, alright. I've probably missed one at least. I'll have to try and figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom